The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

So the Australian players

brians_da_best 2019-03-31 12:44:46 

Are not playing in the IPL, instead focusing on the Pakistan series.

When we play in Ireland in a few days, are we expecting our IPL players to leave their IPL teams and report for national duty?

granite 2019-03-31 15:13:51 

In reply to brians_da_best
We are Caribbean peeps and always greedy for dosh.

Emir 2019-03-31 15:16:36 

In reply to granite

But also because the Aussies board have the stuff together, not perfect but their governance system is working and players doh have to worry about a board that works against them.

But alas, we now have a new president as we give him a lil time to get his act together.

brians_da_best 2019-03-31 15:34:11 

In reply to granite

With the world cup round the corner! I'd expect the players to report for West indies duty

sgtdjones 2019-03-31 15:54:02 

We will wait till 3 days before the WC to
announce the team.

Other boards pick their best players and have them on contracts.

Do you want them to stay home and wait?

Then what they starve to death?

brians_da_best 2019-03-31 17:50:05 

In reply to sgtdjones

That's not true for the world cup, the ICC stipulates that you announce the team before the deadline, which is well before the event

mikesiva 2019-03-31 17:58:51 

Australian central contracts pay substantially more than West indies contracts.

Also, Australia is a country. West indies are not.

These guys will however be available to play for their countries in the CPL.

TyTy35 2019-03-31 18:36:24 

In reply to mikesiva

What country you talking about in CPL? CPL is franchise cricket there is no country being represented there. The West Indies might not be a country but it is a cricketing nation with a proud past that every kid whether you grow up in Kingston or in Bridgetown knows and honors. Players have to make a living however and it is important for each individual to make the determination where his best interest lies. However to come with this garbage about WI not being a country as an excuse for adults who consciously make a choice to play league cricket over international cricket is asinine at best.

Walco 2019-03-31 19:49:52 

With the world cup round the corner! I'd expect the players to report for West indies duty

Dream on boss smile The only ones who might come back to play in Ireland are Hety and any other cricketer with a retainer. But my hope and expectation is that CWI will let them continue to play IPL and eat a food ...

bobby 2019-04-01 13:48:57 

In reply to TyTy35

There is no longer a West Indies. Wake up. There is a Windies owned by a country named CWI.

Still waiting for Ricky to change that.

aliaskid13 2019-04-01 15:20:00 

In reply to bobby

Still waiting for Ricky to change that.

This should be the very first order of business.

runout 2019-04-01 16:35:22 

Pakistan team looked clueless. The bowling was not typical Pakistan disciplined bowling. The fielding was even worse.

Australia is peaking at the right time.

InHindsight 2019-04-01 21:50:07 

In reply to runout

Which is it, Pakistan looking clueless or Australia peaking?

wink

runout 2019-04-01 22:09:44 

In reply to InHindsight

I hope you realize that those two are not mutually exclusive. lol lol lol

mikesiva 2019-04-17 10:51:36 

Well, aside from Archer, none of the England IPL players will be playing against Ireland at the start of May.

The ECB is allowing the following players to play in the IPL rather than in Ireland:

Moeen Ali
Jonny Bairstow
Jos Buttler
Ben Stokes

More here

Headley 2019-04-17 13:51:23 

England have deferred the question of whether Jofra Archer will make their World Cup squad after naming an unchanged 15 for the ICC's preliminary deadline.

I thought the deadline for submitting each 'country's' squad was Apr 25. The above suggest that this may only be a preliminary deadline.

Can someone please clear this up? Are CWI sending 4 - 6 players to Ireland whose names are not on the preliminary WC squad? I am asking because there may be at least 4 IPL players who will not be in Ireland and whose places are 'guaranteed' in the squad.

Tryangle 2019-04-17 14:47:56 

But also because the Aussies board have the stuff together, not perfect but their governance system is working and players doh have to worry about a board that works against them

This.

A better comparison may be to use Bangladesh, Sri Lanka or Afghanistan and if their contracted players are brought back for preliminary tours, etc.

I think Bangladesh recalled players for national duty (Shakib?)

bobby 2019-04-17 14:51:05 

In reply to TyTy35

You forget that up until recently there was NO West Indies. There was something called Windies owned by Crooked Dave and his cabal.
Get real.

Str8_Drive 2019-04-17 15:04:37 

In reply to Headley

Can someone please clear this up? Are CWI sending 4 - 6 players to Ireland whose names are not on the preliminary WC squad? I am asking because there may be at least 4 IPL players who will not be in Ireland and whose places are 'guaranteed' in the squad.

I am similarly confused, What I can tell you is that all the players going to Ireland will NOT being going to the World Cup, this squad is for the Tri Series.

My thinking was that you can only make a change to the squad declared by the April 23 deadline if there was for example an injury. However with all the Archer talk , I am not sure what to make of the squads declared at the April 23 deadline.

can anyone clarify ?

mikesiva 2019-04-30 17:56:21 

In reply to Str8_Drive

Money talks....

The teams that pay their players a lucrative central contract can call their players back, such as England and Australia.

But those boards that are cash-strapped, such as West Indies, South Africa and New Zealand, have told their players that they can stay at the IPL until it finishes.

natty_forever 2019-04-30 17:59:28 

As long as they playing cricket I cool. This allows others to play some cricket also. Bigger pool.