The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Democrats/CNN/Trump:Thank Goodness for Baseball

goofballs 2019-04-13 03:44:44 

Sick and pissed at all the nonsense and insult to intelligence.
Nobody has anything constructive to do or say?
At least the Bully has a plan, as illegal or immoral as it may be.
The others barking their heads off, cursing and digging and smelling looking for dirt with not goals, objectives, development or governing plans.

Baseball coverage is so comprehensive nowadays, unlike the politicians.

maj 2019-04-13 03:50:19 

In reply to goofballs

Man I love my Yankees but they are stumbling out the box, injuries have hit them hard. They have an all star team on the DL. I also question a lot of Boones managerial decisions.

goofballs 2019-04-13 03:57:49 

In reply to maj
So,we are sworn enemies!
Since The Yankees cheated us of that home run.
Long time Orioles season ticket holder till kid went off to college and I got fed up giving it away, and Orioles couldn't buy a win although the ex Yankee manager, Buck, gave us hope.
I tried to make a comeback past few years but it was plain torture.

This year I was forced into an ESPN fantasy league involving 13 batters, 9 pitchers and bench.
I am learning fast and interest is picking up as I follow globally, not one specific team.

Beats watching CNN. I want to choke them!! Other networks also have their ludicrous behaviors.
Only CNBC is worth peeking in from time to time..

maj 2019-04-13 04:13:07 

In reply to goofballs

Lol..you know the Yankees drafted that kid..it was payback for Cal Ripken breaking the Loe Gehrigs consecutive games played streak.

I can't get into fantasy at all too time consuming or I'm just ol school.

Buck Showalter is cursed can't win the big prize.

goofballs 2019-04-13 04:19:11 

In reply to maj

These Yanks had the gall to come and invade Oriole Park by buying out all the tickets, behave obnoxiously and shout "orioles suck, Orioles suck."

My boy since age 5 will get back in their faces like Earl Weaver vs umpires. The Yanks all showed good spirits in terms of playing along with him for fun and the only time not being mean at the park. cool

maj 2019-04-13 04:41:30 

In reply to goofballs

You think Yankees fans are nasty..try Red Sox and Phillies fans are the worst.

How did you become and O fan.? I've been a Yankees fan since 1981..

I remember Fred Lynn and Gary Roeniecki who eventually became a Yankee I think .

Eddie Murray was always a favorite.

goofballs 2019-04-13 16:54:08 

In reply to maj

Eddie Murray was always a favorite.

You know your baseball. Eddie Murray's batting got me hooked as a substitute to cricket since I settled here in 83-84 days.
Line up
Lee Lacy,
(Asian guy followed by an Ivy League chap followed by Billy Ripken).
Cal Ripken
Eddie Murray always clean up.
Fred Lynn
Mike Young
Rick Dempsey
Gary Roenicke. I saw him hit a grand slam.
We even had a very chubby chap, Floyd Reifer briefly, crowds favorite.
We had about 5 20 game winners after Palmer left following world series win.
Boddicker, Flanagan, Storm Davis, El Presidente Martinez.... He was a serious alcoholic and stopped playing for a while. Rehabilitated and was able to come back and have a long career with Montreal.

Colorful Earl Weaver Palmer said he always told them about their mother when he had to come to the mound, pissed.

Yankees had small Henderson running, stealing ad lib ,
Big Winfield, Don Mattingly et al.
Plus the constipated looking manager. smile

goofballs 2019-04-13 16:59:43 

Sounding like a West Indian cricket ex fan, talking about the good old, old days from a generation ago and nothing to see or talk about in this age. smile

maj 2019-04-13 17:00:30 

In reply to goofballs

Yeah bro I go far back in baseball, Dave Righetti, Ron Guidry Wille Randolph and who could forget Donni Baseball I remember he was an outfielder when he came up.

Damn Yankees had so many managers, who was it?

maj 2019-04-13 17:05:55 

No other baseball fans in here..just politicians and college level law graduates..lol

goofballs 2019-04-13 17:59:03 

In reply to maj

I remember Billy Martin in and out like every other year but not him.

maj 2019-04-13 18:01:38 

In reply to goofballs

So many you got to give me years

goofballs 2019-04-13 18:03:01 

Joe Torre, always serious in the dug out like he could explode, but all the Google images showing him smiling.

Link Text

maj 2019-04-13 18:10:39 

In reply to goofballs

Haha yes, must be all those rings got him so.. smile

Tryangle 2019-04-14 02:55:50 

I'm a Tigers fan, so not much to get excited about here in a long time. Squandered what should've been a dream pitching stable.

goofballs 2019-04-14 04:47:27 

In reply to Tryangle

I'm a Tigers fan

Aha!

I remember the days of Sparky Anderson, Kirk Gibson. They, and Yankees, somehow always managed to best the Orioles.

I last followed baseball globally, all the teams, in 2010 when I last played serious fantasy. Kid went off to college and there was no one to beat me up,say Booyah, in your face and occasionally wrestle, stomp my chest until he grew up and cracked my rib.

I remember drafting Verlander the first time he came to the majors, thanks to an insider tip from a youngster. Bonderman, Robertson were good for strikeouts but had high WHIP and ERA.
Yes, since those days they had a very good bullpen. There was a kid who was fast as lighting, 100 mph. Rodney?
In those days had to pay about $100 to get all the MLB games. Now, I see 3-4 showing EACH DAY on my regular tv package at no extra charge.
Good to get back in it, will keep me out of trouble for 162 games plus after hours.

NYCGURU 2019-04-14 10:56:15 

In reply to maj

I am a Met fan who roots for all teams New York.The starting pitching for the Yanks was always going to be an issue. With Severino, Stanton and Didi out, they just need to stay afloat until they get healthy. I started following them in 1972 as a 17 year old fresh from the Caribbean. The Reggie Jackson, Thurmon Munson(RIP), Gregg Nettles, Catfish Hunter, Goose Gossage and Billy Martin era was marked by some great Baseball and tons of Drama. There were a lot of colorful characters in the game back then.

maj 2019-04-14 13:17:56 

In reply to Tryangle

Dont forget Alan Trammell and Lou Whitaker, great infield combo.

maj 2019-04-14 13:19:32 

In reply to NYCGURU

Say it ain't so, you can't be Mets fan and a Yankees fan, that's sacrilege
big grin

goofballs 2019-04-14 15:59:26 

In reply to NYCGURU

WoW!
I bow to you in baseball reverence, Sah.

Mets and Toronto were teams of interest for me. Loved the Mets.

Was Ron Darling a pitcher with them? He announced o air last night that he ahs tumors in his chest.
Bad boy Strawberry, RBI leader Hernandez? Catcher

NYCGURU 2019-04-14 17:41:31 

In reply to goofballs

Yes Ron Darling came up and pitched for the Mets.I actually have a soft spot for all Toronto teams because i lived there for 10 Months as a 16 year old before migrating to New York. I watched Henry Aaron break Babe Ruth's record on our Black and White Television.

ray 2019-04-14 20:27:50 

In reply to goofballs

Darling, Gooden and Sid Fernandez were part of the Mets rotation in the late 80s.They had a heckava team...
Thanks Buckner lol lol lol

JahJah 2019-04-14 20:54:55 

In reply to maj

You think Yankees fans are nasty..try Red Sox and Phillies fans are the worst.

Any fan base coming out of Boston are nasty as hell. Not to mention racist AF. That Bostonian charm...

maj 2019-04-15 00:58:27 

In reply to JahJah

Yes 100% agreed, I had people try to run me off the road when they say my NY plates and Eagles fan threw a cup of soda at me at a preseason game

goofballs 2019-04-15 03:48:43 

In reply to NYCGURU

Actually, Hank Aaron was on tv tonight during the Mets game, being interviewed by Alex Rodriguez and others during the Mets game tonight. One of about 4 games I get free on MASN.
Actually, football fans are aware of the RED ZONE, they have an almost equivalent show at nights or during the day also called Baseball Tonight where they talk baseball and play you highlights as they happen.

Yeah I was late to the party. Came over in 84-85 but was a grown man then, I think, at the other side of the quarter century mark. smile

goofballs 2019-04-15 04:03:45 

In reply to ray

Darling, Gooden and Sid Fernandez were part of the Mets rotation in the late

80s.They had a heckava team...
Thanks Buckner

Keith Hernandez and Eddie Murray were going neck and neck for most GWI? Game winning rbi when they used to count that.
Catcher was a Jimmy Carter or something? Went to Montreal I think.
Strawberry had the sweetest swing in baseball.

One sight in baseball I would never forget watching it live on tv was the Bucknor "match fixing" that they would call it today.
One more thing bothering me. Can't remember the name of that ole man reliever who would pitch and pitch every year well into his forties. He was Mets or Yankees, even came to Orioles to catch some pension here too. Maybe in the 90s because I remember my kids laughing and admiring an old man still playing.

maj 2019-04-15 04:15:19 

In reply to goofballs

Phil Neikro or the Neikro brothers they were starters?

goofballs 2019-04-15 04:17:30 

In reply to maj

I remember the Niekros.
This chap was a ctually a Yankee.

Bingo!!
Jesse Orasco. smile

maj 2019-04-15 04:35:08 

In reply to goofballs

No he was a Met and closed the 86 world series for the Mets.

goofballs 2019-04-15 05:19:11 

In reply to maj
Yep. Wiki is my friend.

holds the major league record for career pitching appearances, having pitched in 1,252 games

He retired in 2003 after having been with the Mets, Dodgers, Cleveland Indians, Milwaukee Brewers, Baltimore Orioles, St. Louis Cardinals, San Diego Padres, New York Yankees, and Minnesota Twins. He retired when he was 46 years old, one of the oldest players to still be playing in the modern age. Orosco is one of only 29 players in baseball history to date to have appeared in Major League games in four decades.

maj 2019-04-15 05:38:18 

In reply to goofballs

Damn, that's a collection of uniforms big grin

NYCGURU 2019-04-15 13:35:57 

In reply to goofballs

Yes i actually was watching and saw when they started interviewing Hank. I got sick to my stomach and switched to something else. The events leading up to Hank passing the legendary Babe Ruth was another disgusting chapter in race relations in this country. The closer he got to the record, the more death threats and hate mail he and his family received.Imagine how much uglier it would have been if we had Social media back then. Hank Aaron was a truly great hitter who never got the recongition he deserved. They found every reason not to give him his just due. They made it seem as if all of his home runs were hit at home in Atlanta which was a smaller ball park. It was only when Barry Bonds broke the record and they found a Black man who they truly despise, they suddenly remembered Hank, and you started hearing whispers about how he was such a decent gentleman and the real home run King. Their hypocricy knows no bounds. Imagine being a 17 year old adjusting to a new culture, falling in love with a new game and these were my early memories.

goofballs 2019-04-15 23:33:08 

In reply to NYCGURU

Typical!
Today is Jackie Robinson day.

Correction: The Red Zone equivalent is called MLB Tonight on MLBN HD. Long time ago we used to have "Baseball Tonight" on ESPN.

The other two Baseball channels are "MLB Baseball" on MASN HD.

ray 2019-04-15 23:36:00 

In reply to goofballs

Carter came from Montreal to the Mets

NYCGURU 2019-04-16 00:21:27 

In reply to goofballs

Thanks kind Sir and be well. Nice chatting and do enjoy the season....