The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Christopher Henry Gayle. What can I say?

sgtdjones 2019-04-18 12:52:57 

Christopher Henry Gayle. What can I say?
How to feel about a cricketer with 20 years of experience who has branded himself an arrogant stud?

He turned 20 the month he made his international debut in an ODI series against India and Pakistan in Toronto. It was an innocuous start. His Test debut six months later against Zimbabwe was not memorable either, but the following year, versus Zimbabwe again, he was named player of the match for his 175 off 255 balls, in which he hit 34 fours.

The sixes were yet to come. That might have been when he first came to my attention, this tall, slim, muscular figure wielding a heavy bat. He didn't seem to like running between wickets; in fact, he didn't seem to like moving at all. It was like watching a windmill at the crease, only the arms capable of movement

Link Text

goofballs 2019-04-18 13:16:04 

In reply to sgtdjones

No time to read but your highlight here.

an arrogant stud

he first came to my attention, this tall, slim, muscular figure wielding a heavy bat

My pseudo psychologist friend would just make one conclusion:

PENIS ENVY!

Case closed!
Btw, is this a WIndian, who typically loves to knock down everybody else who is not their homeboy?

Drapsey 2019-04-18 13:19:57 

In reply to sgtdjones

.. He didn't seem to like running between wickets; in fact, he didn't seem to like moving at all. It was like watching a windmill at the crease, only the arms capable of movement

My exact opinion when I saw him batting live the first and only time (just after he made that first triple).

Yes, that lead-foot moniker is well earned.

jen 2019-04-18 13:23:37 

In reply to Drapsey

I don't see the fuss about moving foot. If you can see ball and hit ball and average 40, it naw matter. Sehwag was similar. Plant and attack.

armchair 2019-04-18 13:33:09 

A thoughtful article

Fivestar 2019-04-18 14:22:22 

In reply to sgtdjones

His confrontations with the self-serving, chauvinistic West Indies Cricket Board...

Gayle showed great courage in standing up to the WICB and refusing to let them control him.

First, they dropped him hoping he would come crawling on his hands and knees begging to get back on the team.

Gayle did no such thing. He instead took off to the IPL where he made more money and became more popular.

The WICB didn't like that so they tried a new tactic. They asked the ICC to allow them to take some of the money West Indian players made in the IPL.

When that didn't work they asked the ICC to make the IPL teams employing West Indians pay a fee to the WICB. That approach failed as well.

The outcasts Gayle, Bravo, Pollard and Sammy showed the world some of the best West Indian players were not playing for the West Indies.

That in my view is one of the reasons there will now be changes in West Indies cricket.

FuzzyWuzzy 2019-04-18 14:33:17 

In reply to Fivestar

Dream on. It is too late. All of those iplers have passed their best.

Fivestar 2019-04-18 14:49:35 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

All of those iplers have passed their best.

You are correct and won't get any argument from me on that view. However, my point was those Iplers were able to show the world they were left off the West Indies team not for cricket reasons but rather for political reasons. There was then a movement to put cricket first and politics last.

goofballs 2019-04-18 15:01:20 

In reply to Fivestar

Pollard, Narine, Russell past their prime?

Put Gayle's batting the too if only he gets to field at 'half" or slips.

Fivestar 2019-04-18 15:14:47 

In reply to goofballs

Pollard, Narine, Russell past their prime?

I was referring to Pollard, Bravo and Sammy. I'm sure even those guys will admit they are not in their prime anymore. I'm not writing them off just making an observation.

Dukes 2019-04-18 15:15:01 

In reply to goofballs

My pseudo psychologist friend would just make one conclusion:

PENIS ENVY!

Case closed!
Btw, is this a WIndian, who typically loves to knock down everybody else who is not their homeboy?

Ms. Baksh has been accused of many things but never before has she been accused of PENIS ENVY.
Maybe you know something we do not.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

newdread 2019-04-18 15:30:39 

In reply to Dukes

big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin

Drapsey 2019-04-18 15:33:20 

In reply to Dukes

I think his moniker is well earned.

goofballs 2019-04-18 15:36:00 

In reply to Dukes

Ohhh, it is a female to boot!

The same Vanessa who dissed Sarwan so blatantly and full of jealousy? I should have guessed.
I will find time to read later tonight in bed.

Btw, just read my quotes from the Sarge above and any college freshman doing Psych 101 would make the same conclusion as my pseudo psychologist friend.
For Reallol lol lol lol

**Don't have to be a scholar or psychologist either.
Stop being concrete!

Drapsey 2019-04-18 15:37:06 

In reply to jen

You can see why my favorite batsmen are

Doug Walters
Zaheer Abbas
Lawrence Rowe
Seymour Nurse
Garfield Sobers
Rohan Kanhai
Brian Lara

Hants 2019-04-18 15:38:11 

" During a subsequent series against Australia, Gayle again complained of dizziness and shortness of breath during his innings. He left the field for a time, and was after the match sent to hospital where he was diagnosed with a congenital heart defect causing a cardiac dysrhythmia."

goofballs 2019-04-18 15:40:58 

In reply to Dukes

I might have not been clear.
Lemme explain as my friend and most college students see it, blatantly.

She wields a wicked, jealous catty tongue reeking of raw sexuality.

an arrogant stud

tall, slim, muscular figure wielding a heavy bat

goofballs 2019-04-18 15:54:28 

Dukes

Ms. Baksh has been accused of many things but never before has she been accused of PENIS ENVY.
Maybe you know something we do not.

It is not an accusation as it is perceived as a given, blatant fact by even the pseudo pre college student.\!!

But, lemme throw you back your now famous line:
Maybe "the education level is so low here, they cannot see or understand anything." lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Chrissy 2019-04-18 20:08:02 

In reply to goofballs

The author is female

Ewart 2019-04-18 20:29:04 

Loud Steups!

Cannot understand the timing of this article. Did she write it a year ago and it is just getting published?

There is no news peg on which to hang this article so I sympathise with anyone who criticizes Vaneisa and her attempts to eat a food.

You mean to tell me that she is a cricket writer and after all these years she does not know that Gayle indeed had a heart condition? A heart condition for which he underwent an operation in Australia??

And how long ago is it that He was offering to roll that female reporter's pitch? Yesterday, or the day before??

So my question: Why this article? Why now??

//

sunfish 2019-04-19 00:04:49 

Did not like the part about 'arrogant stud' she obviously is very penile centric.

A law suit in the making me thinks..

sunfish 2019-04-19 00:28:13 

So how can you prove someone is an 'arrogant stud' without being intimate with him?

Ahhh now I get it, perhaps a jilted lover out for revenge by flinging mud at him?

anandgb 2019-04-19 01:03:14 

In reply to Dukes

lol lol lol lol

goofballs 2019-04-19 01:06:51 

In reply to sunfish

Talking about stud....dem gyal dem nah like dis....

he didn't seem to like moving at all. It was like watching a windmill at the crease, only the arms capable of movement.

But when yuh is a super (arrogant)stud.... razz Put up or shut up.
The only good she had to say was that at the end he came. lol lol lol
I don't know about the other.

Seriously, how people feel upon reading this article?
I just now finished reading and the prominent thing I experienced was real anger!

Speaking of arrogance, who is the one exhibiting high (and cheap) arrogance here?
Who de heck she think she is? That air of superiority, criticism, like Gayle is just a nobody full of imperfections (purity of batting stance, batting, moving motions, etc)and she is walking on hot air up in cricket Heaven.
Such an air of being better than him, that she did say she did not know him when as a journalist was asked to comment on him.
Still doesn't know him or his heart condition known to all and sundry except her, because she was too high up there to pay attention to "small fries" like Gayle.

Definite hate and envy including, especially of, his machoness and his physical attributes with graphic description.

Some people crave for attention and the only way they get is by negative stuff, walking into a school, etc ..........criticizing the hottest cricket stud in the universe, by his image and performance, moving or not!

goofballs 2019-04-19 01:14:21 

This is right up the West Indian alley and I have reason to consider this.

I think the Anglo Saxon colonial masters indulged in the second oldest trick. Get one of their own to knock down the other.
They probably all tired of hearing of the greatness of Gayle, who might murder them in their own backyard with his willow.

Ewart, that's why it is coming out now. Cut him down psychologically at his peak, and just before he comes a charging in England with his big willow.
I won't comment on his personal lifestyle because it is not my business.

goofballs 2019-04-19 01:22:29 

In reply to Chrissy

The author is female

Thanks. It is said,not by me smile that they are usually the ones with biggest envy.

Truth be told I had a nice read of her article on Lance Gibbs.
Refreshing. Not like this.
Anybody read the piece she wrote on Sarwan after he got the captaincy and her *** was bunning about Ganga not getting it.Devious! Sheer Evil and envy then too.

sunfish 2019-04-19 02:28:01 

And she chose the stereotypical intimidating black man picture to post, shirt off, fierce look and holding a phallic trophy.

This is hateful female chauvinism and I recommend therapy for the writer to overcome her hostility.

Drapsey 2019-04-19 09:29:45 

Some of you guys acting like you think that Ms. Baksh, the author of the referenced article, had a crush on Gayle, but never got the attention sought.

Emir 2019-04-19 12:30:13 

In reply to Drapsey
I wish some peeps would just read and enjoy the unique style of Ms Baksh. It is a masterful piece.

goofballs 2019-04-19 16:36:08 

In reply to Drapsey

Nah. You are just not getting it. I don't know if you will.
smile

I was actually drawn to this article after a senior high school student asked me if that wasn't classical penis envy.
I read Sarge's apt, edited highlight of the article and couldn't disagree.

Yet, some of the brightest, "most smartest, most intelligentest", in the history of mankind or on CCC could not get that basic concept and just laffed in ignorance.

Maybe that concept wasn't in text books although it was there for centuries. Sure, it is like a forward defensive stroke in 20X20, of historical (concepts) significance but the basics.
High school and first year college!

goofballs 2019-04-19 16:54:10 

This is not about Ms. Baksh, the Trini.
Some random stuff upon awakening without artificial aid of coffee......
This place is about expressing opinions, thoughts, points of views, objective evaluations. Some might agree, disagree, have no thoughts or just don't read. No need for censorship.
It ia a very insulting article! Continuing and agreeing with/painting the picture of a Carib manas seen by the slave,plantation owner's wife?
We know who author identifies with here and who she tries to dissociate from.
It is about the article and the author's attempted portrayal of a genius, brilliant batsman as someone who is crude, unpolished, undeserved to be even following (per her, but now she is making money bashing him).
Yet she is enthralled and captivated by his crude sexuality. She described his brawns only as if that is all he is to some "came to my attention, this tall, slim, muscular figure wielding a heavy bat."

It was like watching a windmill at the crease, only the arms capable of movement.

the scribes carried hints of savagery and force; images of grace and elegance were not invoked.

I heard somewhere that he had a heart condition. I never found out if it was true, or severe

So arrogant that she does not mind exposing her lack of basic research, due diligence even at this late stage before she wrote her article
It seemed odd, an aberration of sorts, that he was breaking all these world records for runs, and I still couldn't appreciate his batting. The more cricket commentators reverentially referred to him as Christopher Henry Gayle and raved over his prowess, the more I was flummoxed
Something had to be wrong with me.
YES, you felt YOU were too great and envied his success and picture of machoness

the flamboyant braggart had begun to flower and I cringed at the narcissism that became his brand. It touched an extremely sensitive spot in my Caribbean psyche, because he was living up to the worst stereotype of the macho West Indian man
that she is not mincing her word portraying him as such in this article.

goofballs 2019-04-19 17:03:21 

In reply to goofballs

I still couldn't warm to him.

He was not a drawing card for me.

Be that as it may, you do not feed into the colonial's stereotyping.

The grudging partial acknowledgement of him as a cricketer at the very end as an afterthought does not sell it to me. Damage was done....i.e. portraying him in that picture she was paid to.
Probably it would not have been published otherwise, without the crude bashing.

How many people actually take Gayle's horseplays and genuine joy for life as narcissism?
Something mussbe wrong wid dem.

jahmekyah 2019-04-19 17:06:02 

Continuation of the #MeToo movement, the continued emasculation men and the shift in gender roles and sex roles in a society,
What is worse we don't even realize how weak. how emasculated we have become.

ponderiver 2019-04-19 17:33:41 

In reply to goofballs

The article is gross
It has so sexualised the player that had the roles been reversed a retraction and an apology would be in order.

What she appears to be saying is that people like him have no right to be celebrated as cricketer

The phallic imagery in the description of his heavy bat and how he weilds it is blindingly obvious.