The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Sir Julian Hunte sets the record straight

Courtesy 2019-04-18 15:34:26 

...regarding this quote below emanating from the Jamaica Gleaner in the story under reference:

...It made 65 recommendations, which were dismissed as ‘outdated’ by Julian Hunte, who replaced Gordon soon after the report was commissioned...

In a telephone interview with me this morning Sir Julian has categorically denied the statement attributed to him as false.

According to the former President of the WICB Sir Julian and I am quoting him directly, "we implemented most of the recommendations of the Patterson Report...one of the areas that we had great difficulty with is the area where a super structure was recommended. We could not go with this super structure recommendation because we did not see ourselves as elected officials having to report or refer to this structure."

Jamaica Gleaner story here

Jumpstart 2019-04-18 15:42:08 

In reply to Courtesy

You mean weren't willing to. His ceo, ernest hillaire went on i95.5fm and told the Fearless one Andre Errol Baptiste that implementing that part was like himself firing himself. That is the problem with the board....too many self serving officials

Courtesy 2019-04-18 15:46:45 

In reply to Jumpstart

I can appreciate the merit in not supporting "a super structure" as sir Julian calls it. This is analogous to elected parliamentarians having to report to an authority greater than parliament.

The buck should stop with the WICB/CWI. However, I would support strongly an advisory group.

newdread 2019-04-18 16:09:57 

In reply to Courtesy

I would support strongly an advisory group.

But, but... if the superstructure would have had no authority over CWI, why would CWI listen to any advice from them?

Courtesy 2019-04-18 16:12:43 

In reply to newdread

Sir Julian:

"...because we did not see ourselves as elected officials having to report or refer to this structure."

But we digress. The Jamaica Gleaner quotes Sir Julian as "dismissing" the 65 recommendations of the Patterson Report.