The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Jamaican producer says NO to Carnival in JA

problemjay 2019-04-19 18:04:37 

What ah thing! Link Text

Read the video comments they are hilarious

JahJah 2019-04-19 20:30:31 

In reply to problemjay

Pauly Shore hilarious? Don't see anything hilarious there.

Yep, you do have a problem indeed.

problemjay 2019-04-20 01:23:59 

In reply to JahJah

don't listen to the voices in your head so you will make sense in your following response

Drapsey 2019-04-20 12:18:55 

In reply to problemjay

That Carnival thing was tried in Jamaica during the Byron Lee days.

I was in Jamaica during one of the events, and although I did enjoy the pageantry and good music, everything looked contrived. Nothing was spontaneous.

Yes, everything looked "foreign".

nitro 2019-04-20 13:34:04 

In reply to Drapsey

everything looked "foreign".

True. Soca is party music and it appears the Jamaicans prefer the dancehall. I see some dancehall and soca artists doing collabs maybe to capture the Jamaican market.

problemjay 2019-04-20 13:50:07 

*Read the video comments*

This is why I say we are NOT the same in the Caribbean. There are obvious differences in norms, cultures, everything! Yet we sometimes like to pretend we are the same. If another culture from a Caribbean nation is so "foreign" that should tell us something

Chrissy 2019-04-20 13:55:33 

In reply to problemjay

You don't understand this issue

problemjay 2019-04-20 13:58:10 

In reply to Chrissy

sure that's your Jamaican opinion on what I understand

black 2019-04-20 14:09:10 

In reply to problemjay

*Read the video comments* 

This is why I say we are NOT the same in the Caribbean. There are obvious differences in norms, cultures, everything! Yet we sometimes like to pretend we are the same. If another culture from a Caribbean nation is so "foreign" that should tell us something

Do all Trinis support carnival?

There are differences between States in America.

problemjay 2019-04-20 14:20:51 

In reply to black

Do all Trinis support carnival?

lol What a stupid question... You trying hard, let me inform you the sentiment of the producer is the sentiment of a lot of Jamaicans its not a one individual sentiment. As usual you never do the research before wasting a comment

Star 2019-04-20 14:36:56 

In reply to black

You just cannot make a blanket statement like that and leave it there. What are the differences when compared to Caribbean countries?

The most patriotic people in the world live in the United States.

The only differences between States in America are racial differences. There is a cultural and patriotic connection among Americans in all States.

In the Caribbean you have cultural differences and insularity.

black 2019-04-20 14:41:26 

In reply to Star

When was the last time you went to New Orleans?

There are very few places that can compare to Bourbon street and Mardi Gras in America.

JahJah 2019-04-20 15:13:04 

In reply to problemjay

You are beyond stupid.

problemjay 2019-04-20 15:18:32 

In reply to JahJah

Coming from you I have to lol

problemjay 2019-04-20 15:19:42 

In reply to Star

You just cannot make a blanket statement like that and leave it there. What are the differences when compared to Caribbean countries?

Forgive black he is used to making blanket statements

Star 2019-04-20 16:01:36 

In reply to black

There are very few places that can compare to Bourbon street and Mardi Gras in America.

Poor you.

In your mind the above response is a logical quantifier for your blanket statement that there are differences between states in America?

You have to come with something better than that Mr Black.

camos 2019-04-20 16:32:59 

In reply to Star

black is correct, there are cultural differences between the states of these united states! only one state has Mardi gras for example, in some states there is even regional differences.

Drapsey 2019-04-20 17:08:27 

In reply to camos

Star needs to go out more.

The US is so huge, there are regional differences in accents, diction, and even the choice of words. For example, in the South it's common practice to use the term 'fixing' (... to do something) in a context others would use 'preparing'. And don't forget the Long Island accent as well as the New England variety.

I've been on the ground in every eastern state (Nebraska, Kansas, Texas forming the boundary), and it's amazing noticing the difference in mannerisms.

camos 2019-04-20 17:18:58 

In reply to Drapsey

take a place like Virginia , there are huge differences between northern Virginia and say rural areas like Charlottesville. In south Carolina there are dietary differences between Charleston (low country) and say places in the (uplands) Greenville Spartanburg.

Ayenmol 2019-04-20 21:13:00 

In reply to camos

You are right and wrong.

There are lots of differences in th US between States. Most people who do not or have never lived in the South for example, dont understand the love for country music and nascar. Bullriding and Cowboy culture. The midwest farming lifestyle is quite different than the Miami vibe. But the overall culture of Americans are the same.

In the Caribbean, there are many things that bind us, but each Culture is different. Jamaica loves Reggae and dancehall. Trinidad loves calypso and soca. Guadeloupe and Martinique is all about zouk...Haiti, Kompa...Dominica and St. Lucia all about the mix of kompa/zouk with local jingping for the bouyon.

I have known Jamaicans who will curse you out if you ever ask them to go jump up in the streets to music much less dress up on costume.

Very weird. Whereas, the closer you get to Trinidad the greater the love of that stuff.

Food binds the Caribbean.

There is much more deep rooted stuf that binds Americans. Even though the likes and attitudes are diverse.
Not to mention a single flag and anthem. Attitudes towards family and work. Class, etc.

black 2019-04-20 21:33:20 

In reply to Ayenmol

But the overall culture of Americans are the same. 

That's not true, New Orleans and Louisiana as a whole have a lot of French influences in their culture. And, depending on where you are in the Country, there might be cultural influences from other Countries.

problemjay 2019-04-20 21:38:23 

In reply to Ayenmol

There is much more deep rooted stuf that binds Americans. Even though the likes and attitudes are diverse.
Not to mention a single flag and anthem. Attitudes towards family and work. Class, etc.

Correct. Most importantly America has a single flag, single anthem and other singular methods to galvanise their entire population under nationalism.

NOT THE SAME in the Caribbean. Cuba, Haiti, Jamaica Trinidad, Aruba all different!

Ayenmol 2019-04-20 21:44:17 

In reply to black

French influence does not mean they are not the same culture.

the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.
"20th century popular culture"

the customs, arts, social institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or other social group.
"Caribbean culture"

When Americans go home, whether they are from N'orleans or idaho, from pursuing whatever entertainment they prefer, they watch the same tv, work towards the same goals, generally, are motivated by the same ideas, learn the same history, adore the same National heroes, fear the same threats, die for the same causes, et. etc. etc!

black 2019-04-20 21:58:27 

In reply to Ayenmol

French influence does not mean they are not the same culture

If those cultural differences are not that great, why are we having this conversation?

Our West Indian culture is much more alike that it is different

Ayenmol 2019-04-20 22:24:14 

In reply to black

Because dude, music and food etc are not what binds Americans.

Because it is an immigrant Culture you have to dig deeper to find what binds them.

There are many cultures melted into the American fabric with distinct enclaves. Yet they share commonalities within the variety that makes up the whole.

The Caribbean is different. What binds us are our love of certain things like music and food, the hospitality industry that we share.
But each Island has a distinct identity that supersedes the commonalities we share.

Nothing supersedes the commonalities Americans share. For better or worse.

Wh

uton 2019-04-21 00:05:32 

In reply to Ayenmol

The Caribbean is different. What binds us are our love of certain things like music and food, the hospitality industry that we share.

Are you sure having the same slave master and colonial master and the vestiges that remain are not the true bind?

Anyhow Micro-states with mickey-mouse economies should enhance their ties rather than focus on dissimilarities which are trivial at best.

bravos 2019-04-21 00:11:52 

In reply to Ayenmol

Ok apart from a flag,and we know how controversial they can be and never really represented all of America all of the time, so what binds black Americans and white Americans and "hold them together" that doesn't bind Caribbean people?

Or don't they exist in your youtopia?

Ayenmol 2019-04-21 00:16:40 

In reply to bravos

What binds you and the trinis not like you??

You people who do not live in the US watch the news and think Blacks and Whites are constantly at each other's throats.

Yet you yourselves keep defending your Countries when others post statistics that indicate your countries are criminally out of control on par with countries 100 times your size.

bravos 2019-04-21 00:21:52 

In reply to Ayenmol

Similar interests

Similar taste

Familiarity

Similar history

Similar understanding of our environment

Similar experiences in our environment

I can go on..

Ayenmol 2019-04-21 00:24:13 

In reply to uton

I have never been nor am i now a slave.

I do not try to relive everything through the lens of a time gone...do you relive everyday like you live i the days of payphones? Faxes? Crt televisions?

bravos 2019-04-21 00:25:01 

In reply to Ayenmol

You people who do not live in the US watch the news and think Blacks and Whites are constantly at each other's throats.

This isn't the angle I was at..

Caribbean people are more bound together than Black Americans,White Americans,Hispanics and Native Americans are held together,because they are certainly not.

Ayenmol 2019-04-21 00:26:17 

In reply to bravos

Dude, that can be applied to all humans...we are talking Culture.

What similarities, history, interest or taste led to Jamaicans not embracing carnaval?

uton 2019-04-21 00:28:58 

In reply to bravos

what binds black Americans and white Americans and "hold them together" that doesn't bind Caribbean people?

Americans have a unified political system, a singular in most instances land mass which makes the exchange of goods and people less onerous than the Caribbean and most have bought into the concept that being united is better than being separate hence "The United States". I cannot envision any other differences.

bravos 2019-04-21 00:30:59 

In reply to Ayenmol

Dude that's just some Jamaicans..

What similarities, history, interest or taste led to blacks not embracing Rock music and whites not embracing Rap ?

And don't tell me some whites embrace rap and look at Eminem,else I'll have to show you my answer 2 lines above.

Ayenmol 2019-04-21 00:31:32 

In reply to bravos

Caribbean people are more bound together than Black Americans,White Americans,Hispanics and Native Americans are held together,because they are not.

Lol...dude you are living up to your myopic stream of thought!

Americans are bound to a fault on the "American dream"!

That binds them like nothing else!

Am not here to defend or claim superiority of one over the other.

Rest assured a Jamaican will not die at the call of a trumpet for a trini, as a floridian would for a Uton.

So tell me, what bond you speakm9ff? You dismiss the flag as if it is a triviality in the culture and identity of people.

Nuts.

bravos 2019-04-21 00:33:31 

In reply to uton

Exactly and all obvious and all considered hence my baiting..

Oh and remember Hawaiians are Americans too..

Ayenmol 2019-04-21 00:37:59 

In reply to bravos

White's have not embraced rap?

Man go park your limited experience of American life on a beach somewhere!

In your estimation, some Jamaicans have not embraced the carnnaval culture so that means that a lucrative endeavor is simply scrapped, but somehow because all Whites do not love rap that means it is not accepted as part of American culture?

I live in a town that is hugely White. 70% of the time i hear a car booming rap it's a White group of inhabitants.

I never hear anyone booming country music!

bravos 2019-04-21 00:39:51 

In reply to Ayenmol

Clearly you didn't read my first post.

Flag and land mass is obvious and basic condition scenario,the trick is being "bound and held together" without those conveniences.

In other words your only point is the flag,so ignore all the glaring differences and it's flag and land mass by default no discussion or debate necessary

Nuts..

Ayenmol 2019-04-21 00:41:28 

In reply to bravos

Oh and remember Hawaiians are Americans too.

Yeah, and so are Virgin Islanders! And samoans!

Oh yeah, PuertoRicans too...Puerto Ricans are also Caribbean folk, so are Cubans, and Dominicanos...how connected are you to those? What commonalities do you share?

Ayenmol 2019-04-21 00:44:00 

In reply to bravos

Dude the Caribbean is not bound in any way shape or form as the. United States!

The fact you are arguing this is foolish!

You cannot call the flag a convenience in a discussion of culture and identity.

Wow...

Ayenmol 2019-04-21 00:45:09 

Also please point out these 'glaring differences' you speak off!

bravos 2019-04-21 00:47:07 

In reply to Ayenmol

White's have not embraced rap?

You edited out the beginning of the post I responded to about Jamaicans not embracing and rejecting Carnival,so I made a similar blanket statement to show you how stupid you were,add dishonest to that,I even mentioned it in my post..

Dude that's just some Jamaicans..

I can't have a discussion with a man that edits questions after I answered them,your'e disingenuous..

Many Jamaicans embrace Carnival,just like many whites embrace rap .

Simple idiot.

bravos 2019-04-21 00:48:38 

In reply to Ayenmol

Then this is a nationalist discussion,ok captain obvious..

Embrace your people..

Ayenmol 2019-04-21 00:57:00 

In reply to bravos

I edited? Man please. You have no idea about American culture past what you are fed on a tv screen!

Every human is different. Differences in likes does not mean different culture. Culture is what binds people or identifies them or moves them to come together as one.

In the Caribbean it's trivialities like music and food.

In America it's Nationalism, patriotism, pride and a financial dream and way of life.

There are countless enclaves of music, food etc. Even within States. In fact people's likes and dislikes in this country are more Regional than State!

Folks living in scranton Pennsylvania have more in common with folks living in Albany than those living in Albany does with those in Brooklyn.

bravos 2019-04-21 01:03:33 

Problemjay

Are we missing something here,does this producer have the last say on Jamaican festivities or is this just his opinion and conclusion in his sphere..

Because I'm being told here that Jamaicans do not embrace and have rejected T&T Carnival,and I know many events are on the itinerary,and countless Jamaicans on board as they usually are religiously.

"Jamaicans don't embrace T&T Carnival"

Who made this conclusion, and who made it an official position rather than a one sided personal opinion based on their limited experiences with Jamaicans regarding T&T Carnival?

bravos 2019-04-21 01:15:10 

Jamaicans have been at the forefront of setting up Trini style Carnivals both in NY and London.

And Jamaicans make up the majority of masqueraders at those festivals,but no they doh embrace it.

There isn't a more glaring example of this embracing than all coming together as one on foreign soil at Carnival.

Is the opinion of a 'producer' and some 'dude's' Jamaican church member experience the final verdict on 'Jamaicans not embracing' Carnival?

Ayenmol 2019-04-21 01:15:41 

In reply to bravos

I do embrace my people...but they are not who you think.

I can also look at an issue and discuss it without erroneously attributing a win to those who i identify with while ignoring facts!

That is all you ever do...defend defend defend just because you belong to a certain group.

Definition of an idiot.

Sorry am not taking shots...just the truth.

Expand your mind dude!

Give jack his jacket. For once.

If Argentina and Trinidad starts a War, Dominicans would not bat an eye!

Book it!

If Argentina even snickers at Hawaii, all Americans would be up in a tizzy!

So which one to you is a more worthy bond?

problemjay 2019-04-21 01:48:02 

In reply to bravos

Majority of Jamaicans especially the ones who are in dancehall and reggae arena are NOT happy with Trini culture (Carnival and Soca ) becoming more popular in their own country

You are referring to some Jamaicans who help other Caribbean people start up and promote Carnival in New York and London and some who will travel to play mas at Carnivals . That is very different

uton 2019-04-21 03:43:26 

In reply to Ayenmol

I have never been nor am i now a slave.

I do not try to relive everything through the lens of a time gone...do you relive everyday like you live i the days of payphones? Faxes? Crt televisions?

Whether you believe it or not slavery, indentured servitude, and colonialism has shaped the Caribbean and still affects the existence of most people living in the Caribbean until today. Take a look at the industries that are large in the Caribbean, other than oil in Trinidad and now Guyana, most of the sizeable industries are remnants of slavery, indentured servitude or colonialism. Major tourism projects in the Caribbean are not mostly owned by Caribbean nationals and if they are the owners (e.g.Butch Stewart) e do not reflect the ethncicty of the most Caribbean nationals.

JahJah 2019-04-21 04:31:30 

In reply to problemjay

Majority of Jamaicans especially the ones who are in dancehall and reggae arena are NOT happy with Trini culture (Carnival and Soca ) becoming more popular in their own country

More popular than what? Heavy metal? shock confused rolleyes

You should really stop trying to make yourself look more important than you actually are.

Casper 2019-04-21 10:50:45 

In reply to black

Yes, I have been to New OrleanS, where they like any excuse to have a parade. In fact, is it like there is a parade every day with some band making noise along the street. But across the USA, in cities, there is some parades for one reason or the other, if for the same cultural reasons as in New Orleans.

However, you can't argue against what Star has said.

There is a cultural and patriotic connection among Americans in all States.

In the Caribbean you have cultural differences and insularity.

And to that, I would add oneupmanship, even though we've have had common experiences.

Having carnival in Jamaica is not like Trinis are going to take over Jamaica, and far less the Jamaican brain. But, who am I say when Barbados put up resistance to Dancehall in the country.

black 2019-04-21 11:01:36 

In reply to Casper

But across the USA, in cities, there some parades for one reason or the other, if for the same cultural reasons as in New Orleans.

Sometimes you guys amaze me, you and Ayenmol are different sides of the same coin, just because you offer a rebuttal, does not mean that it is correct.

I mentioned the New Orleans experience and you talk about the fact that there are parades all across America. That may be true but it has nothing to do with the New Orleans experience and its uniqueness.

Casper 2019-04-21 11:16:57 

In reply to black

That may be true but it has nothing to do with the New Orleans experience and its uniqueness.

Black, I am not arguing against its uniqueness. Less the argument stray away from the intent of the original post, let me add this or ask this question.

Do you see any link between carnival in Trinidad, Brazil, and numerous European countries where there is some form of carnival and Mardi Gras in New Orleans? Hint, they all end before Ash Wednesday.