The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Why Ashley Nurse and Brathwaite?

Jumpstart 2019-04-24 18:08:03 

Nurse is grossly unfit for international cricket(cant catch or bowl also) and brathwaite can only get first team picks consistently for SKN patriots and barbados. Loyalty picks man. prize for the best brown nosers

bobby 2019-04-24 18:10:01 

In reply to Jumpstart
If unfit, fatty Nurse can get picked then it is clear that the victimisation of Cornwall continues.

FuzzyWuzzy 2019-04-24 18:11:20 

In reply to Jumpstart

Chief selector BROWNE'S HOMIES

Jumpstart 2019-04-24 18:11:27 

In reply to bobby

So it would appear.....because even at his current size, cornwall brings much more to the team than carlos and nurse combine......dey are as useful as derryck parry

openning 2019-04-24 18:12:29 

In reply to bobby

Blame the COS, that has been the mb forte for a number of years.

tc1 2019-04-24 18:15:51 

In reply to Jumpstart

Reifer and Holder selected the team, Haynes and Adams were only there to lend support to the bajans.

Jumpstart 2019-04-24 18:18:18 

In reply to tc1

seriously their picks are really absurd.....brathwaite cant break into kkr side as yet and im sure nurse is somewhere.......eating. cuz it have no cricket going on other than ipl

jen 2019-04-24 18:21:13 

In reply to Jumpstart

I think the last 2 ODIs against England saved Brathwaite as he bowled well and had a 50. At that stage, I told myself well yeah, more than likely he's booked his spot to England, so no surprise. I would have gone with Keemo Paul though. Keemo Paul makes things happen.

I think due to no other spinner being used in the last 2 years apart from Nurse & Bishoo, selectors was left with no choice but to continue with Nurse as it was either go back to Miller who hasn't played for some years, or try a debutant such as Kharry Pierre. in the end, experience more often than not gets the preference for World Cups.

If Nurse doesn't get a good world cup and continually gets picked, trust me, Haynes will have to sue me lol lol

Jumpstart 2019-04-24 18:24:26 

In reply to jen

jen i would have picked bishoo over nurse.....i get what you're saying but that itself is as a result of cameron's policies enthusiastically carried out by brownenose. i would pick permaul over nurse. Pierre had a fantastic cpl. nurse could not even make his franchise squad.....TKR in the cpl. Paul was also having a great ipl after coming off the bench....sumtin carlos aint do as yet for kkr

TheTrail 2019-04-24 18:24:58 

Browne is "dead and buried," but it seems he still has a stranglehold on these selectors.

What the heck, no Keemo Paul in this squad?

openning 2019-04-24 18:27:06 

In reply to TheTrail

They switch from Browne to Reifer and Jason.

jen 2019-04-24 18:29:53 

In reply to Jumpstart

Naw, no way Bishoo over Nurse. If its between the two, Nurse get's the nod. Nurse has been averaging 25 with the bat for the last year or so. At the end of the day, who knows, that's probably what has Nurse there. Maybe them guys done see pacers and the batting is what will have to win the World Cup for them so take Nurse for his runs.

Once he doesn't impress during the World Cup, then the selectors need to move on pronto and introduce guys like Kharry Pierre...

silver 2019-04-24 18:30:15 

In reply to Jumpstart

Braithwaite can play in England. World cup is not a place for Rookies. I feel for Keemo Paul cause Russell did not make himself available for the Windies cup qualifiers

Logic 2019-04-24 18:31:27 

In reply to Jumpstart

Lol. Amazing how Jen managed to help your ilk find a way to blame Browne again. At least then give Browne some credit for selecting Keemo Paul over Carlos B when Keemo was fit.

Jumpstart 2019-04-24 18:34:07 

In reply to silver

rubbish. brathwaite cant even break into kkr squad and he could play in england? he has no technique...his technique worse than sammy's own....he's dead slow and does nothing with the ball

Jumpstart 2019-04-24 18:35:59 

In reply to Logic

dude paul is a good allrounder. And the only time i saw browne pick paul in front of bratwaite is in tests where, thankufully, carloss flaws have been fully exposed. Browne is as tribal as reifer

Star 2019-04-24 18:38:42 

In reply to Jumpstart
The team is not a bad one but I would have gone with Paul instead of Brathwaite, Cornwall or Chase instead of Nurse and Samuels instead of Allen.

Nevertheless it is still a good team and the selectors must be congratulated for doing an acceptable job.

Jumpstart 2019-04-24 18:42:35 

In reply to jen

therein lies the problem. Why give a space to someone you know is going to fail? nurse cannot bat in england in june where its freezing and the ball is literally turning corners. Lara, probably one of the greatest players of the moving ball had trouble in england around this time of year. In addition, nurse bowling average is 43 in odis. U also saw in the series in the wi vs england how his drop catches cost us dearly in the first odi and the one in grenada. He brings nothing to the team except probably his island might get a forward on the team sheet. but i guess that is the sole goal of some persons in charge of wi cricket

Jumpstart 2019-04-24 18:44:19 

In reply to Star

it is a good team. and hopefully russell could keep brathwaite out of the side. but nurse is a problem. a self inflicted problem who somehow avoids being dropped after fumbles and battering of his bowling

DIEHARD 2019-04-24 19:19:40 

In reply to Jumpstart

Ashley Nurse last 12 months

Bowling 12M 11innings 95.0overs 1maiden 524runs 9wkts BB2/43 Average58.22 Econ5.51 SR63.3

Batting

12M 10innings 3NO 151runs HS43 Ave21.57 BF135 SR111.85

I guess it could be worse, he does have better figures with bat and ball than lets say a Rovman, or even Keemo, who never took his chances, and is all potential right now i suppose

Jumpstart 2019-04-24 19:22:00 

In reply to DIEHARD

9 wickets for 524 runs lordddd

FuzzyWuzzy 2019-04-24 19:23:56 

In reply to Jumpstart

So you are saying Browne picked this team? big grin big grin smile big grin big grin

Jumpstart 2019-04-24 19:26:13 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

i am saying you will find few figures worse than nurse's in international cricket right now.

openning 2019-04-24 19:26:17 

In reply to Jumpstart

Apart from Cornwall, which other spinner has shown he is ready for such a world class tournament?

brians_da_best 2019-04-24 19:26:30 

In reply to Jumpstart

Nurse will be the fifth bowler and a lower order hitter.

Braithwaite will be the big hitter end of the innings, a finisher, if you may. Plus his bowling could be handy in England, and his captaincy experience might be handy for this young team. And he knows what winning a world cup is like.

I wouldnt have complained had they not been picked, just answering your question why they were

FuzzyWuzzy 2019-04-24 19:29:51 

In reply to Jumpstart

Neither can Hetty break in.....so?

Jumpstart 2019-04-24 19:31:34 

In reply to brians_da_best

fair enough....but both have played in england and have not performed at all. from a technical persepective, you really believe carlos' batting could achieve anything significant in england in their early summer when the ball swings around corners?

Jumpstart 2019-04-24 19:32:22 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

hety got his chance.....four matches yielding 15 runs. bet yuh rcb not picking him for the rest of the tournament

DIEHARD 2019-04-24 19:32:32 

When you look at who they were selected in place of....these guys stats are nothing to brag about..and they have no reason to feel aggrieved..except for Pollard lol

But Rovman and Keemo have played..and their stats are inferior/ similiar to Nurse's and Brathwaite's in the last twelve months. Cornwall can't be bothered to follow a diet..so..no major grumbling..Gabriel for me is the ONLY question sign now

brians_da_best 2019-04-24 19:36:34 

In reply to Jumpstart

If he comes in in the 42nd over, all you want him to do is to swing hard and get lucky.

His bowling might come in handy.

Again, not saying he's the best finisher in the West Indies, but this is the rationale for his selection

Jumpstart 2019-04-24 19:37:36 

In reply to brians_da_best

lol lol lol lol lol

analyst-kid 2019-04-25 10:41:11 

Once a new spinner wasn't introduced in the Ind/Bang tour they would have to retain Nurse....someone needs to challenge him...he is no frontline spinner but he is in that role. Cornwall I expect to be tried on home territory coming up

Baje 2019-04-25 11:41:11 

In reply to Jumpstart
Carlos played 3 tests against Australia and India..scored 3 fifties in those 3 matches...averages 40 in test cricket..

and you call that exposed

Jumpstart 2019-04-25 12:43:51 

In reply to Baje

dude, denesh ramdin was the 9th highest scorer in that series and scored 50s and that was his last series. Carlos only scored two also, check your stats. Link Text
Secondly. While the commentators loved brathwaite's spirit(i admire it also), they said he was way too slow to bowl at international level and as far as I'm concerned, along with all the other international franchises he has played for, he isn't up to mark. He was dropped midway during delhi's campaign in 2016 post 6666, cant even make kkr's team this year and would struggle to break into any other franchise in the tournament
Added to the fact that there are three allrounders(one on his own team) from the WI in the IPL that are playing for their respective sides and doing well and the decision to pick him looks even more absurd. The less said about tubby(nurse), the better

seaegg99 2019-04-25 13:35:47 

Would have gone for Cornwall over Nurse. Fielding is even but Cornwall can is more of a game change than Nurse. While Nurse can hit big at the end, Cornwall is a big hitter at all times of the game. He is also more adapt at actually batting for longer periods.

Carlos B. have played cricket in England before and will adapt to conditions right away. Choice between him Keemo had to be a tough one. CB's bowling is also pretty tight and ties up the middle innings.

Very glad Allen is included.

Jumpstart 2019-04-25 13:39:40 

In reply to seaegg99

the only cricket in england carlos played was for a club in ireland. If you're refering to the odi series in 2017, only two players came out looking better after that tour..........alzarri and lewis.....carlos doh have the technique to bat consistently well in the west indies,yuh expect him to perform in the hardest batting assignment in cricket? Early english summer.
Brathwaite's bowling avg is 43.sumtin by the way.....#tightbowling

seaegg99 2019-04-25 14:31:51 

In reply to Jumpstart

Carlos played club cricket in Ireland before he played for Barbados. Carlos also played test cricket for the WI and scored a few fifties if I remember right.

Carlos played 3 tests against Australia and India..scored 3 fifties in those 3 matches...averages 40 in test cricket..

As Baje mentioned above. You just making stuff up now. Actually the shorter versions of the game have really MESSED up his batting.

Logic 2019-04-25 14:40:57 

In reply to Jumpstart

dude paul is a good allrounder. And the only time i saw browne pick paul in front of bratwaite is in tests where, thankufully, carloss flaws have been fully exposed. Browne is as tribal as reifer

Dude, you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. Carlos was not even in the original ODI squad against England this year. The positioned opened up for him after Paul's injury. I would have gone for Keemo but more based on his potential than record. The selectors were probably being rather more cautious.

As for Carlos in tests, rather having his flaws exposed, his results may have flattered him - too sizeable half centuries when other were struggling in Oz and then a half century against India in his next test. But i think that issue has been addressed already.

Logic 2019-04-25 14:44:36 

In reply to seaegg99

Actually the shorter versions of the game have really MESSED up his batting.

Agreed both Pollard and Brathwaite suffered from not playing more 4 day cricket.

Jumpstart 2019-04-25 15:42:31 

In reply to seaegg99

i dont see a difference in his batting then from now. he was lucky in australia. pattinson got him twice off no balls

Link Text
#makingstuffup

analyst-kid 2019-04-25 15:43:57 

I think Carlos' experience and allround ability has him edging out his contenders.

BATTING....disappointing but started to improve vs England.

BOWLING....very useful...has shown the ability to arrest a flyer with some tight bowler AND TAKE WICKETS....some thing that a lot cant do.

FIELDING excellent

...his imput as a strategist on the field is also vital.

Jumpstart 2019-04-25 15:47:16 

In reply to analyst-kid

strategist...yeah(cuz god know jason terrible at tactics)). i dont know how though you could defend a 43 plus bowling avg and 66 runs in 5 innings, fifty of which came in a match where both teams scored over 350 i.e a featherbed
Especially as the few international teams brathwaite plays for do not see him as consistently worthy of a place on their teams

openning 2019-04-25 15:53:10 

In reply to Jumpstart

Do you realize this is the World Cup, and not an International series?
The selectors selected a team, that took them to the dance.
Listening to the Interim COS, Narine would had been added to the squad, which meant either Nurse or Allen would been been left out.
The ODI series against England, earned Brathwaite his WC selection, and Nurse has been a fixture on the team, the last couple of years.

Jumpstart 2019-04-25 15:55:11 

In reply to openning

dude the world cup is a big international series.......especially in the round robin format this year: everybody has to play everybody

analyst-kid 2019-04-25 15:58:38 

In reply to openning

Not even in WC Football do the manager leave out players that get them there. Add to this is performances in Super 50 and ODIs vs England.

Once Cornwall and other players were not included vs Eng...it was hard for the outsiders save superstar Dre Russ.

openning 2019-04-25 16:00:20 

In reply to Jumpstart

Are you comparing the WC to a individual series against an International side?
I was at home for the 2007 WC, so much different, to the next series I saw against England.

Jumpstart 2019-04-25 16:22:15 

In reply to openning

dude......bad example. the wi and england both performed poorly. the closeness of the match in the cwc2007 showed how evenly matched they were

openning 2019-04-25 16:36:48 

In reply to Jumpstart

The atmosphere the fans, so much different to your regular international series.
My wife and I travelled from Barbados to Antigua with a wrist band, which is not done, for any other International series.
This is like FIFA WC, you are witnessing the best.
As for the team selected, I have no problems with it, because this group played in the qualifiers, against India and England.
Carlos earned his selection, when replacing the injured Paul

Jumpstart 2019-04-25 16:40:24 

In reply to openning

what dat have to do with player performance? most of the best odi performances have come outside of the world cup

openning 2019-04-25 16:51:04 

In reply to Jumpstart

what dat have to do with player performance? most of the best odi performances have come outside of the world cup

A player's performance get him selected, into the WC squad.
The CWI had a number of International and an A team ODI series, leading up to the selection of the squad.
What we are witnessing is the selectors having the option, of the IPLers or players selected for the Triple Series, to replace any of the injured to WC players.

Jumpstart 2019-04-26 14:58:45 

In reply to openning

if you say so.....although most observers say carlos dont deserve to be on the team. but otherwise its a good side

Walco 2019-04-27 11:33:58 

In reply to Jumpstart

although most observers say carlos dont deserve to be on the team. but otherwise its a good side

lol lol lol