The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Windies Squad for World Cup

CaribbeanCricket.com 2019-04-25 11:43:56 

Talismanic opener Chris Gayle heads a powerful batting line-up that sees the return of fellow left-hander Evin Lewis, and Kemar Roach and Shannon Gabriel lead an exciting bowling attack in the preliminary squad of two-time champions West Indies for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 England & Wales.

Interim chairman of the Cricket West Indies selection panel Robert Haynes announced the squad during a media conference on Wednesday at the Sandals Royal Resort today here.

The 15-member squad includes nine players that will be making their first appearance in the global showpiece, including emerging batting star Shimron Hetmyer, the captain of the West Indies Under-19 side that won its first ever ICC Youth World Cup three years ago in Bangladesh, and the side is boosted with the inclusion of big-hitting all-rounder Andre Russell.

“Based on the new selection policy approach which allowed us to consider a number of players that have not regularly appeared in the side over the last two years, we had a wide base of talent from which to choose,” said Haynes.

“There were a number of tough calls we had to make to settle on our squad of 15, including ensuring there was some continuity in the side, but we believe we have chosen a strong squad of players taking into consideration such factors as experience, fitness, team balance, current form and conditions.”

“In keeping with tournament regulations, we submitted our squad prior to the deadline date of yesterday. All players named for the Tri-Nations Series could, however, stake a claim to be in the final 15-member squad that will be submitted after the Tri-Series and before the final deadline next month.”

Gayle will be making a record fifth World Cup appearance for West Indies and needs just 253 runs to overtake fellow left-hander Brian Lara and become the leading batsman for the Caribbean side in One-day Internationals. The self-proclaimed, “Universe Boss” is the headline act of a batting line-up capable of changing the complexion of any game with enterprising stroke-play.

“To have a player the calibre of Chris in the side to lead the batting with his vast experience and his ability to play match-winning or game-changing innings is a blessing for us and the motivation of becoming the leading scorer for West Indies in ODIs is something which I think he will relish,” said Haynes.

“Looking at the condition of pitches in ODIs over the last few years in England and Wales, it appears that big totals will be the order of the day, so we believe we have a line-up that can put big totals on the board or chase them, as we have seen from recent matches.

“With players like the captain, Jason Holder, as well as Andre Russell in the lower middle-order, we believe we have good depth to our batting which will allow us to play the brand of cricket that will give us the best of chance of winning the World Cup.”

Full Story

Sylobeauty 2019-04-25 15:05:16 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com
A west Indies WC team comprised of 5 bajans. 5 Jamaicans, 4 Trini's, 1 Guyanese, zero Leewards and off course zero windwards. Is it a good team? I guess yes; but does it represent WI? It's a BIG NO as once again I see it's the big 4 verses the small islands. Why in the world is 26 years old spinning all rounder Rahkeem Cornwall, once again out of favor with selectors, when he continues to be one of our leading all rounders in any format of our cricket? His size? If yes, why pick him on the A team for both home and away and he continues to perform? Why is Sunil Ambris not in as a standby opener and wicket keeper? Ambris and Cornwall are two of the most dominant players in our domestic cricket yet they are treated like trash by our selectors.

Sylobeauty 2019-04-25 15:38:27 

I have nothing against any of the players selected or their territory. But FACTS are stubborn and as such, I really want someone to point out to methe basis for Nicholas Pooran to get selected ahead of Sunil Ambris, since theyare both competent weeketkeeper/ batsmen. In fact they both have played only one ODI for WI and Ambris scored 38 not out at a SR of 140 while Pooran scored zero. If Amris was from Trini and Pooran from the WWDS Ambris would be selected.
The same comparison between Cornwall and Fabian Allen

openning 2019-04-25 15:56:10 

In reply to Sylobeauty
There is a reason why a league like the IPL would contracted Pooran, and not Ambris.
Think about it.
You should blame the previous selectors, who selected him for the wrong format.

cricketest 2019-04-25 17:44:05 

12 support staff???

hubert 2019-04-25 20:42:00 

My first impression of this 15 member squad is that in the interval since the 2015 event,very
little was done to prepare for the coming edition. A more seasoned squad should have been
to the fore. Just about half the squad have less than 40- ODIs under their belt.
Considering that WI barely qualified leads me to think that they will not win
more than three of the NINE scheduled games.
It will be a rough path to hoe and the fact that the main spinner is less than average compared to other
teams,means that if conditions are not favourable,it could mean licks like peas especially in the middle
overs.
I would have loved to see an experienced righthanded batsman in the middle, a Samuels or a Simmons.And with the absence of
a Dwayne Bravo to bowl at the death,Kemo Paul should have been a certainty.
BUT I guess the selectors know more than many of us so i wish them luck..hope their fielding will be outstanding.They will need it
in these times where most team are cracking well in excess of 325 as a new norm.
Hope I will be able to listen even while tending my vegetable gardens. smile

openning 2019-04-25 22:03:43 

In reply to hubert
When was the last time Bravo bowled in a 50 overs match?
Narine and Russell refused previous selection, because they had not bowl 10 overs in sometime, again Narine refused selection, because of a finger injury.
BTW, he is bowling his quota of four overs in the IPL.
I agree with Andy Roberts, by asking when last have these bowlers, bowled 10 overs.

hubert 2019-04-25 22:19:04 

In reply to openning
I do not know -re Bravo. But are you saying he is incapable of bowling 10 overs in a 50 over match.Do not make the error of thinking that he has to bowl
a 10 over spell. No one does this in a 50 over game. Some applies to the others you mention. Do not equate a quota of 10 with a spell of 10. OK ?
Carry on.

openning 2019-04-25 22:48:35 

In reply to hubert
Anyone can bowl 10 overs, but having not bowl in an International match for a number of years, going by what Russell, Narine and other pros are saying, the ODI format is much different from bowling 4 overs.

hubert 2019-04-25 23:38:16 

In reply to openning
How so ?. There has been and will be oneover spell, 2over spells etc even in 20/20 ? So this cannot be also in 50 Overs. SPEWLLS,
not quota.
And Bravo said he can't do this ? Is his problem the same as Narine ? Russell ?
Lets hope for your sake that those who are picked and fit as fiddles and playing regularly now will be able to complete quota of 10.
I know when licks sharing some will not .
I dun wid this.

Maispwi 2019-04-25 23:50:55 

In reply to openning

Dey all played in de last Super 50 dat CCC won which was not too long ago so perhaps you shud be asking when last dey had a decent performance in 50 over cricket