The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Brian Lara – The early days

sgtdjones 2019-05-03 22:22:55 

Brian Lara – The early days

THE high backlift. The flamboyant follow through. The ball crashing into the boundary rope. For several former coaches and clubmates, it did not take very long to realise that Brian Lara was destined for greatness. Speaking to Newsday as part of a special feature on Lara for his 50th birthday, several said they just had to see him bat for a few minutes to know he was a special talent.

Before becoming a household name around the world, Lara started developing his natural talent at Harvard Coaching Clinic in St Clair at age six, before moving nearby to Queen’s Park Cricket Club at 14.

Going to Fatima College would have helped Lara’s growth as the school has a rich cricket history. Lara stayed at Harvard for nearly a decade with Hugo Day, Lennard Kirton, Rex Dewhurst, Dwight Day and Indar Ramgoolam among the coaches who saw the left-hander in his early days.

“He always had that talent. We really did not have to coach him – we just had to guide him – because he had a tremendous talent at his age,” Ramgoolam said.

Link Text

sgtdjones 2019-05-03 22:55:27 

[UPDATED] Govt’s gift to the ‘Prince of Port of Spain’

RETIRED TT and West Indies cricket hero Brian Lara celebrated a half-century alive yesterday with a gift of his own street name – Brian Lara Drive.

The street, where he resides, branches off of the foot of Lady Chancellor Road, Port of Spain. It was formerly named Knaggs Hill.

“It’s a great, great honour,” Lara said in an address to a brief ceremony, which was attended by Minister of Local Government Kazim Hosein, officials of the San Juan Laventille Regional Corporation – the corporation responsible for the St Ann’s and bordering areas – and Lara’s family.

“This being bestowed upon me – I know many things have been over the years – this is truly touching.”

Link Text

Narper 2019-05-03 23:42:57 

In reply to sgtdjones

A true genius

Brought joy and pride to west indians

Especially to those living in de cold smile

I met Lara at Queens Park Savannah when he was 14 years old and was already in the news for his batting prowess....my fist impression was that he was so tiny...such lil fella...and he was so so shy and humble....so likeable...

And all the hype at that age was accurate....he delivered...he was the real deal.... the rest as we say is history.....he is now 50* in life....and batting

Thank you BCL.

Lamb 2019-05-04 10:48:53 

In reply to sgtdjones

There is no other.
Enough said. big grin