Message Board Archives

Guyanese Boxing Legend Terrence Ali

Runs 2019-05-06 20:07:38 

Down and out

on his luck, ow uncle Granger help a hero out

Link Text

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-05-06 22:03:33 

In reply to Runs

Former President Bharrat Jadgeo gave me a house lot on my return, but I hadn’t the funds to build anything on it

Where is Granger? Even a manger will do!

Calcutta is biting the hands that fed them. Shame on them!

jcveletta 2019-05-06 22:04:14 

In reply to Runs

Sad mate. He was one of our national heroes back in the days mate.

Runs 2019-05-06 22:19:05 

In reply to jcveletta

True, passionate about representing Guyana and always draped himself with the flag. I hope they assist.

StumpCam 2019-05-06 23:05:04 

This is very unfortunate! I grew up only a few miles from Calcutta and I understand exactly the torment that is being meted out to him by his own villagers! Life in the country can be brutal at times.
There are lots of Calcutta folks in NY, I’m sure they will assist their hometown hero!

BeatDball 2019-05-06 23:18:41 

Went to see him spar at the then Times Sq boxing gym on W 42nd st & Broadway in 86 or 87; My British-Guyneez-Jewmaycan cousin & I ran into him at a short-lived Caribbean restaurant that was located at the SE corner of Bedford av & Fulton st, Brooklyn in 86 - 90!? So flicking long, cant remember the exact year. They should build the man a nice lil 1 family house...but, where is his family? Wife, son, daughter?
confused cry

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-05-06 23:26:30 

Link Text

FIGHTING FOR SURVIVAL
“I fight for survival and whatever it takes to maintain and get a meal when the day comes,” Alli sternly pronounced with his slurred speech.
Visibly shaking like Muhammed Ali in his early stage of his Parkinson’s disease, Terrence Alli explained that at first, all was well, since he had occupied the home of his late parents in Mahaicony, but things took a turn when one of his siblings, his sister to be exact, returned from the U.S. and had him forcefully removed with the help of the police.

“I have a sister that I took to America in 1985, and she came back to Guyana, she got the police and put me out the house; a house that I took care of because Sam Hinds had given me some money to do the roof and so on and now she’s living in the house.”
“I would like to tell All Guyanese, you’re watching the best boxer, Guyana has ever produced. Even when I’m dead and gone, the talk will be around, Terrence Alli is the best and the ‘baddest boxer’ Guyana has ever seen. I personally think Guyana should do something for me, because people know Terrence Alli has done so much for their country, flying the flag of Guyana throughout the world,” Alli said

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-05-06 23:39:19 

In reply to BeatDball

Also an American citizen, Terrence spends most of his time in Mahaicony, ECD, engaged in small scale farming. He has retained his generosity and offered this writer fruits and vegetables from his farm which currently provides a small income. He said that he has bequeathed his property in Miramar, Miami to his reputed wife and 4 children. Asked of the chances of reuniting with her he jocularly countered, “At the moment another man is wearing my pajamas!” He also debunks the theory that he is crazy and mentally out of sorts

link

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-05-06 23:41:43 

On 4 March 1989 David Thio of Ivory Coast was knocked out Terrence Alli and died 10 days later.

Wonder the effect of this on his life.

Runs 2019-05-06 23:58:53 

Very likable guy with a great personality, I remembered after winning a fight he proudly grabbed the US flag, the Gulf war was raging, he did his trademark somersault and declared, “ I will like to dedicate this fight to all the troops in the Mid West” the announcers and crowd chuckled lol

BeatDball 2019-05-07 00:12:02 

In reply to Runs Yep; quick to smile.

big grin

JayMor 2019-05-07 01:52:01 

Sad. The question though is why? He never won a world championship (from what I recall) but he certainly can be considered a successful boxer. So why him bruk?
    I met him once at the (now defunct) Guyana Airways office; amiable chap.

In reply to BeatDball

short-lived Caribbean restaurant that was located at the SE corner of Bedford av & Fulton st
B's Kitchen? I used to stop in whenever I visited the City. A fave of mine was fry bake wid salt mackerel.

--Æ.

SnoopDog 2019-05-07 13:43:04 

In reply to Runs

Ironically, many of his ridiculers are actually persons with whom he shared his expertise during their youth. I was very saddened when I recently saw him at a small snackette in Calcutta, where young men there were making a mock of him and offering him alcohol to recite moments of his past winnings.

You see skunt hey? This is why Guyana will always be a third world country. Look at the mentality of the people there. It's a society where people fcuking hate each other and take pride in that hate. It's why everyone has a 'false name' which is unflattering and belittling. And this mean spirited mentality is taught to every generation.

A wonderful legacy of slavery, indentured slavery, and dictatorship.

Hellraiser 2019-05-07 14:09:17 

In reply to Runs

This is an absolute disgrace and shame on the past and present Governments, sporting organizations and business community for allowing this to happen in the first place and turning a blind eye to it now.

Any country that treat their heroes like this deserves to be abandoned by their prodigies. evil evil

Runs 2019-05-07 15:36:26 

In reply to SnoopDog

Mess up peeps self esteem, bullying
Right now me and some friends are discussing all the “false names” peeps were called. Mind you some are top professionals, politicians etc lol no discrimination all had false names, for example we know a fella we called
“ Crappo Mouth” .
VS Naipaul touched on it in some of his writings, may be a WI thing?
Some got angry when they were called such others ignored and many answered to it. Many Guyanese know people by such names and not by their rightful names, we see this over and over at gatherings. Oh me muse know him by another name. lol

Bigzinc 2019-05-07 15:40:08 

In reply to Hellraiser

It is totally a disgrace but Guyanese peeps only care about money.. Terrence Alli is a hero and should at least be allowed to live with some dignity.

SnoopDog 2019-05-07 15:47:34 

In reply to Runs

Mess up peeps self esteem, bullying
Right now me and some friends are discussing all the “false names” peeps were called. Mind you some are top professionals, politicians etc lol no discrimination all had false names.

Remember "Cockroach" from The Cosby Show? Well in that show Mrs. Huxtable flat out refused to call or refer to her son's best friend as "Cockroach". Instead, she made it very obvious every time she referred to his real name "Walter".

I used to watch that show and think to myself that if Mrs. Huxtable was Guyanese she would have called that boy "Cockroach" every single time she saw him and she would do it with utmost ridicule and mockery with intent to hurt Walter and provide herself with a smile at his expense.

Runs 2019-05-07 15:49:29 

In reply to SnoopDog

Those names were mostly meant to ridicule I agree
It sometimes just took one incident and someone bold to call and make a name and voila the fella had it for life lol
Here are some of the “nicknames” some of my streetmates on here may recall.

“Shettybull, Pieman, Bengay, Kang, Carifesta Monkey, Gunjahlay, Puree & Persad, Headley, Duck, Tintin, Bones, Parrot, Putagee, Limpy, Blinde, Stinging Nettles,
Fatboy Wormy, Boogalaalay, Fabs, Pip Pip, Captain, Countryman, Buck Rogers, Crane, Mamalay, Nicewah, Teetholay”

Bigzinc 2019-05-07 16:05:13 

In reply to Runs

went to school on sundays
jhankular

baboo

tops 2019-05-07 16:45:13 

In reply to Runs
Nice to see the government and the local business stepping up to offer him help.
Here

Runs 2019-05-07 16:50:07 

In reply to tops

Nice, the publicity was a good deed.

methodic 2019-05-07 18:02:35 

great to see he should be getting some help. Is Lennox Blackmore still around?

BeatDball 2019-05-08 16:05:47 

In reply to JayMor Dont think it was named Bs. I had liked the layout of it...but, the proprietor was probably a dunce...hey, Ali's (Treeknee) Roti shop was big at that time & I think he's still there...he/she could have competed with Ali, since it was a good location.

BeatDball 2019-05-08 16:09:48 

In reply to methodic Blackmoore is around...wasnt he training the Leg 1 bad boy, Elton 'Coolie Bully' Dharry? Bloke needs to knockout a top 5 contender if he really
wants a title fight! Anyway, Lennox trained me for the NYC Golden Gloves in '96...but, at age 33, cut off age at that time for the gloves...figured lemme give it a last try...did spar with a then, skinny Vivian Harris; maaga man gave me a bloody nose...but, after losing two in a row - decided it was Cove & John for me!

big grin cool