The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

RIP Seymour Nurse

Headley 2019-05-07 00:27:48 

I hear the great man just passed. His timing on the cricket field and in his retirement was exquisite.

solidrock 2019-05-07 00:31:47 

May God give great comfort to family and friends.

Narper 2019-05-07 00:32:43 

Wow RIP Seymour !!

RIP ...you did entertain

I will always remember the that 1st ball six in a test match against John snow at Bourda

I will always remember your double ton batting with Rohan Kanhai who made a ton too

tc1 2019-05-07 00:33:33 

In reply to Headley

My second coach, they called me 'can I', but when I saw him scored that 201 against the Aussie I change my batting style.
Seymour and Charlie was a classic pair.
RIP Seymour

positiveg 2019-05-07 00:46:15 

RIP Mr Nurse, just heard the stories about you
Condolences to the family and cricket family on a whole.

tc1 2019-05-07 00:56:53 

In reply to Narper

you saw that game

lol lol lol lol

che 2019-05-07 01:10:10 

In reply to tc1

RIP..Nurseman late cut mek Yagga a bwoy

fixture pon all time Barbados X1 ...nuff said

Oilah 2019-05-07 01:27:31 

Very sad I met him a number of times through my father. I chose the handle "Oilah" because my father would say that Seymour would "oil yuh to de boundary." RIP

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-05-07 01:30:39 

In reply to tc1

How old is narper? big grin

tc1 2019-05-07 01:39:38 

In reply to che

he was sweeter than honey, fluid

DonD 2019-05-07 01:41:30 

I am truly sorry to learn of Seymour Nurse's passing. The first time I saw him bat was against England in the third test at Sabina park in 1959.That was his first test match, following his 213 for Barbados against the touring MCC / England team. I will never forget his glorious extra cover drive for four off Brian Statham to get off the mark. He made 70 in that innings. He was a worthy successor to his mentor, Everton Weeks. Condolences to his family RIP.

Khaga 2019-05-07 01:47:21 

In reply to tc1

You watched the first ever test, didn't you? lol

che 2019-05-07 01:50:27 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

Narps at Bourda fi c JK Holt Jnr murda Christiani…

Dukes sat nex tuh Narps..

lol lol lol

imusic 2019-05-07 02:25:04 

Sad news. An icon of West Indies cricket

Never saw him bat but read a lot of his exploits.

Rest In Eternal Peace Mr Nurse and May your family and friends be comforted and blessed at this sad time

openning 2019-05-07 02:32:15 

In reply to imusic

My favourite cricketer, I saw this man at practice, almost every Saturday if Empire was playing close to Bridgetown.
What a classy batsman, between him and Sir Everton gave me the knowledge of seeing strkemakers.
He is among the top batsman, that Barbados ever produce.
May he Rest in Peace.
Seymour Nurse passes

tc1 2019-05-07 04:22:06 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

lolhe said he is 35

tc1 2019-05-07 04:22:55 

In reply to Khaga

NO, only Bim vs India

Dukes 2019-05-07 08:04:50 

RIP O great one. I had the pleasure of meeting Seymour Nurse in 1968 at Kensington Oval and I remember him telling me that he never got a century at Bourda despite it being a batting paradise.He said it was just not a lucky ground for him.
Sometimes little things stick out in one's memory and what I distinctly remember was the headline in 1969 on the tour to New Zealand.: NURSE SINGS SUGAR SWEET SWAN SONG.
NURSE ENDED HIS TEST CAREER IN A BLAZE OF GLORY WITH SCORES OF 168 AND 95 FOLLOWED BY 258.

RIP SEYMOUR MCDONALD NURSE 1933-2019

Chrissy 2019-05-07 09:12:53 

In reply to Headley

Farewell Seymour Nurse cry

goliath 2019-05-07 09:24:14 

RIP Seymour Nurse

Drapsey 2019-05-07 09:36:55 

I saw Nurse bat only once and that was in a curry-goat match at Sabina Park, West Indies Oldsters vs Youngsters some time in the '70s.

That cameo did everything to justify the accolades laid on him for being a batting stylist.

RIP Seymour Nurse.

Ewart 2019-05-07 10:09:06 

Seymour Nurse's confidence and fluid drives elevated batsmanship as an art form and beguiled hundreds. I too saw him at Sabina in 1959.

Coming to the crease in the drought occasioned by the absence of the three Ws, Seymour, albeit in the shadow of the great Gary Sobers, nursed us cricket fans into a time of believing. Those were still the days when fans were mesmerised by batsmen -- even if they were not Sobers.

Wonderful memories of a great dashing batsman. Sorry to see you go, sir. Rest in peace.

//

Drapsey 2019-05-07 10:20:02 

Come in, Fuzzy!

Wally-1 2019-05-07 12:09:08 

In reply to Narper

RIP Mr. Nurse

I heard that he hit the ball extremely hard.

Bigzinc 2019-05-07 12:43:21 

In reply to Headley

Condolences to Mr. Nurse's family and friends.. My dad's second favourite batsman after RBK..

CWWeekes 2019-05-07 12:54:57 

RIP Seymour Nurse

The innings I most remember Nurse for is his knock in the second innings of the England/WI 1st Test at Sabina in 1968. Saw it on TV. WI were dismissed for less than 150 and were following-on. Nurse opened with Camacho and was beating the ball all over the place while Camacho very defensively held the other end. Also remember that shot where he would hit the ball hard into the ground and it would bounce high over the slips for four. He played that shot a lot.

Great Batsman, RIP.

seaegg99 2019-05-07 13:20:59 

In reply to che

RIP..Nurseman late cut mek Yagga a bwoy

That was a special day!! RIP Mr. Nurse.

Ray123 2019-05-07 13:29:11 

RIP Seymour Nurse sad

Walco 2019-05-07 14:02:09 

Condolences. Does anyone know why Nurse retired after such a prolific series with the willow?

voiceofreason 2019-05-07 14:05:00 

RIP Seymour Nurse. A little too young to have witnessed your brilliance but you touched many. My condolences to his family and friends.

Casper 2019-05-07 14:21:07 

So sad to hear of his passing. The memories remain deep within my soul, my being. I followed him from Empire to the West Indies. In my preteens, I lived for a while in Bank Hall with my eldest sister, so the Empire cricket ground was just a skip and hop away. I imitated Charlie Griffith in my bowling, and dreamt I could bat like Nurse. He was such a joy to watch.

Who could forget those BCA 1st Division games on Saturdays, like Spartan vs Empire, where the crowds were as large as any Test match of the period? Spartan had Peter Lashley among their greats, Empire had Nurse. Of course, where Lashley was a regional bully, Nurse went on to greater things at the highest level.

I would never forget his batting response, in partnership with Kanhai, to Australia's mammoth total at Kennsington in 1965. Simpson and Lawry kept Windies baking in the sun for two days in their big record partnership, then Nurse and the master-class Kanhai set about to restore order, after losing two early wickets and Hunte having had to retire hurt. It was classical Nurse with strokes all around the ground. BTW, that match has stuck in my memory for another reason - Graham Mckenzie almost killed Jackie Hendriks with a nasty bouncer. Memories of Griffith vs. Nari Contractor at the same ground.

After that performance by Nurse, he then became a regular part of the Windies setup, until his remarkable 258 in New Zealand, whereafter, he decided to retire, still on top of his game.

Unlike many others, Seymour Nurse was not in the West Indies Test setup for that long a period, despite his remarkable career at Test and regional levels. He made it to the West Indies team a few months after his 26th birthday, a result of stiff competition at that time, given the preeminence of the 3Ws up that period, followed by the emergence of players of the calibre of Kanhai and Butcher. Having finally established himself in the team and, despite some untimely injuries, he made the most of it. West Indian and world cricket fans, in general, were the richer, as recipients of some of the most stylish batting display of the modern era.

Thanks for the memories Seymour. Rest in Peace.

che 2019-05-07 14:33:42 

In reply to Casper

a Bim prime minster name aftuh he ent

lol lol lol

openning 2019-05-07 15:10:03 

In reply to Casper
Can you add the names to Empire team of that era?
Conrad Hunte
Lionel Williams
Francis Scott
Seymoure Nurse
Everton Weekes
Rawle Branker
Charles Griffith

tc1 2019-05-07 15:27:52 

In reply to Casper

Spartan had Peter Lashley among their greats, Empire had Nurse. Of course, where Lashley was a regional bully, Nurse went on to greater things at the highest level.

Good tribute to the master class batsman, I was in first form when my close friend told me about Nurse, however I was in love with the left handed Frankie (Lashley ) and like many believed he was the better player, but he could match the master batsman in any shape or form.

I too saw that 201 and he matched the lil master, stroke for stroke what a day we had in the olde school boy stand.Kanhai assisted him in reaching the landmark.
I also had him as a coach, he was a great teacher. he was the coach and mentor of many including Dessie. It is also stated that his love of football( played full back with Black spurs)impacted his playing for Bim earlier and thus led to a late start to his international career.
Good bye great One, RIP

openning 2019-05-07 15:39:09 

In reply to tc1
Spartan was our stiffest opponent, with players like,
Cammie Smith
Wes Hall
Tony Mayers
Peter Lasley
Tony Marshall
David Holdford

tc1 2019-05-07 15:40:54 

In reply to openning

I can add Charlie Perkins and Clairmont Depeiza as well as Ossie Gill.

man I got a bone to pick with you, imagine watch these guys on saturday and nuttin ruboff on you , not even to walk like Everton or Seymour

lol lol

tc1 2019-05-07 15:48:02 

In reply to openning

To Spartan we can add Tony Akins, George Rock, Alfred Knight, Gennie Yearwood. Covey Carter.

As a youngster I could not wait for the Sunday Advocate.

defeyeant 2019-05-07 15:48:37 

Rest in Peace

openning 2019-05-07 15:49:33 

In reply to tc1

My brother just reminded me of my first coach, Clairmont Depeiza, and how can I forget Ossie Gill.

Our choir master also played for Empire before playing for Yorkshire.
Hughley Barker

As a youngster I could not wait for the Sunday Advocate.

I went to lessons in Pinfold Street and would walk to to wherever Empire was playing, within the city boundary.
Kensington to watch Pickwick
The Park, Spartan & Police
Carlton
Wanderers
Bankhall
Sir Everton and Seymour was my two favourites

tc1 2019-05-07 15:50:32 

In reply to che

Leave my hommie Afure

lol lol lol

tc1 2019-05-07 15:56:55 

In reply to openning

My brother just reminded me of my first coach, Clairmont Depeiza, and how can I forget Ossie Gill.

he was, he was from my area , he went to school with my dad and mum.

I was about 7 years old and saw him put a beating on a young Charlie in a BCL fete match, apparently Charlie was not in Empire line up at that time and Clairmont may have play for Empire the Saturday and
the match on sunday.

tc1 2019-05-07 16:03:02 

In reply to openning

I went to lessons in Pinfold Street and would walk to to wherever Empire was playing, within the city boundary.
Kensington to watch Pickwick

You remember the old 'trial games'those were war and of 1st class level.

openning 2019-05-07 16:05:44 

In reply to tc1

Charlie was also a St. James guy, watched him on numerous Sundays at pebble beach.
I remember my first Sunday at the beach, after hearing at school that Charlie was a regular, the first ball that came my way, I decided to bowl it, instead of giving it to Charlie, it turned the way of the sea, and I was excited with the turn.
Charlie seeing my excitement, schooled me on balls always turn into the current, the aim to to get balls to move away.

openning 2019-05-07 16:10:36 

In reply to tc1

I liked the trials in my early teens, until I played against a Reifer in the BCL.
I Played against him twice one year, he did not scored many runs, and hardly got a wicket, that year he got Sir Gary out at trials.
That started my dislike for the Reifers

tc1 2019-05-07 16:25:53 

In reply to openning

Charlie is from St Lucy, Boscobelle, Home of KD Boyce and GE Boyce, he may have lived in ST james or ST michael.
Charlie become an outstanding businessman and was a founding member of a Lumber co that rival Plantation limited.
All the guys were from the North e.g Wards, Emory , Fuzz would know more about Charlie business acumen.
Let me know when you will be in Bim for a test series, a couple of my hommies go to every test match in Bim, they are lifetime BCA members.

openning 2019-05-07 16:33:52 

In reply to tc1

Charlie worked for Barbados lumber, and is one of the big boys at the company.
He and Wes have lunch weekly.
There was a BCL team from your area, which I watched playing against a team from Jackson.
Fuzzy is aware of two of my team mates that played for that team, Hammier Holder and Lamont Walters.
Hammie would had done well in the T20 circuit, he could drink, bowl and hit balls

openning 2019-05-07 16:35:54 

In reply to tc1
I am hoping to be there next April for a memorial service and the laying of a Head Stone for my mother

tc1 2019-05-07 17:53:11 

In reply to openning

He and Wes have lunch weekly

My friend told me that last night, some place in Holder's Hill , by the Trail's house.

Whey Trail n Fuzz n Che

openning 2019-05-07 18:00:51 

In reply to tc1

Was that the place that two fine looking sisters used to owned in Holders Hill?

Casper 2019-05-07 18:02:35 

In reply to openning

If I recall Lionel Williams was one of the opening batsmen for Empire in those days, and the school boy hot shot Tony King batted in the middle order, after he came back from UWI.

Unfortunately, he was never the same player with the abundance of promise, as when he was a school boy. For me, he was the Tendulkar of the day, before there was a Tendulkar, knocking centuries off the best of the top senior teams and their returning Test cricketers.

Colin Blades was also another of the great schoolboy cricketers to play for Empire.

tc1 2019-05-07 18:02:56 

In reply to openning

I never was there , maybe the homeboys know of it.

TheTrail 2019-05-07 22:14:12 

In reply to tc1

Was there a WI game today? Who won?

I am at work but will catch up when I get home.

My Uncle said there was a match where Mr.Nurse had to face Charlie and Hall at Kensington Oval, Barbados A vs Barbados B. He said he almost cry that day. They asked Nurse: "how the leather smell."

They said Nurse perfected the "off of me shot - was all wrist" and was later copied by Greenidge and Dessie.

BTW, I think I have a copy of why he quit the WI. I will try to dig it up later.

tc1 2019-05-08 00:04:30 

In reply to TheTrail

West indies lost today, Shai scored another ton, Wi made 260 and the Bangladeshi chase it down fuh 2 wickets.only Chase supported Shai with a 50, Campbell was absent ill today.

Seymour Nurse was instrumental in coaching many guys from your neck of the wood- Holders Hill.

Please post a copy of his early exit from test cricket for homie Walco.