The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Why Haven’t I Received the Latest Windows 10 Update ?

sgtdjones 2019-05-10 13:52:43 

Why Haven’t I Received the Latest Windows 10 Update?

In recent weeks, there’s been much discussion about Windows 10 version 1903. It was available for some, and not others, then perhaps delayed, then perhaps not.

On top of that, I’ve been asked both how to get it and how to avoid it.

Microsoft continues their unblemished track record of releasing some very blemished Windows 10 updates.

What happened with 1903
As I understand it, shortly after it was released, a bug was discovered that could result in drive letters being randomly reassigned after the update was installed.

This was particularly problematic if you had external drives connected. A drive that used to be “D:” would now be “F:”, and so on. The programs expecting the drive to be D: would now fail, since that drive had apparently moved.

Worse, the reassignment could happen to internal drives as well. I suspect, but cannot confirm, that the system drive wouldn’t be affected, but perhaps additional internal drives could be.

Windows 10 Version 1809 When this was discovered, Microsoft halted the rollout…

… or they at least halted it for machines that had additional drives connected. The press, of course, jumped on this as “Microsoft halts update for machines with USB drives connected.” Technically accurate, but more inflammatory than helpful.

As I write this, the rollout remains in this state.

Link Text

trev114 2019-05-11 17:33:10 

Link Text

Link Text

Link Text