EDWARD SEAGA-RIP

Pages: previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  next 
link Drapsey Joined: Dec 25, 2007
5/11/19, 6:11:09 PM 
In reply to nitro

I have heard that, but seen no proof.

Michael had a program called "Operation Grow" where he encouraged the masses to return to farming in an effort to reduce Jamaica's reliance on imported food products. Effectively, he promoted self reliance.

To support the initiative, farm implements were imported from Venezuela where Carlos Andrés Pérez, the then President, effectively underwrote the cost with some 20 year (or so) deferred payment program.

The equipment arrived, cleared from the wharfs and were never seen again (well, not until years later when they were dug up from where they were buried). The end result is that the Operation Grow initiative failed because the would-be farmers had no equipment to support their efforts.

Who do you think orchestrated the disappearance of the farm implements?

link BeatDball Joined: Jul 19, 2014
5/11/19, 6:12:10 PM 
Rip Eddie...you were a good leader. I still remember, when, during hurricane Gilbert, you physically was at the back of the truck, giving out supplies to the residents...always hands on, unlike socishitists! cool

link Chrissy Joined: Nov 13, 2002
5/11/19, 6:24:44 PM 
In reply to Drapsey

Look I was Guild VP on Campus and the President and I traveled to meetings in T&T and Bim. We'd head to the supermarkets to buy stuff since ours were as empty as Venezuela is today (as they face similar sabotage).
We were able to purchase Jamaican goods in both places because the boys were in on it too. Indeed they merged and became the PSOJ.

This all started because MM insisted on a bauxite levy.

What hurts is to watch dem now destroying said US with their links to the same Russians that were the bogey used to create this mess.

I felt the exact same way about Eugenia Charles and if anyone makes the mistake to call me they will hear the truth. In fact I may pop the cork on air.

That monster will not be forgiven by me.

link BeatDball Joined: Jul 19, 2014
5/11/19, 6:48:56 PM 
In reply to Chrissy Google & see that photo with Dame Eugenia & former president Ronald Reagan...U might like it!

big grin razz cool

link Ewart Joined: Mar 4, 2005
5/11/19, 7:05:26 PM 
In reply to nitro

...saved Jamaica from total economic destruction
(designed by him and Uncle Sam).

... and that is why we are in a worse economic and social position today.

razz

//

5/11/19, 8:00:39 PM 
In reply to Ewart

I hope he makes it past midnight - the day Bob died belongs to Bob - Rasta no work for no CIA - Rat Race.
Bob died 39 years ago today.

We had a first world medical system with great community clinics. He expelled the Cuban Ambassador and all the Cuban doctors headed home.
One Labourite doctor told me that they had never given a thought to the possibility that the doctors would leave with their Ambassador - ignorant licky licky fools.

link nitro Joined: Apr 9, 2003
5/11/19, 9:45:45 PM 
In reply to Drapsey

Wow. That was bad.

link rudebway Joined: Jul 28, 2009
5/11/19, 9:48:16 PM 
In reply to nitro

I have heard that, but seen no proof.

i take it u are under 40. werent around for milk or syrup being "married" to other products?

5/11/19, 9:49:25 PM 
In reply to rudebway

I left 1978 at age 6.

link Hanover Joined: Apr 15, 2003
5/12/19, 1:48:57 AM 
In reply to Drapsey
I'll stick my neck out though and say that unlike the activities attributed to Blinds, we're not seeing residual effects of those two atrocities.

I see! Your response to an attack on human dignity is grounded in the belief of residual effects of atrocities.

My friend, if one explores the idea of absolute truth – a moral law – one is not assuming existence of truth, but rather exploring the factors for a moral absolute. In this regard, we look to a command that universally holds true, such as thou shall not kill! If such truths are grounded in emotion, then it becomes problematic – one needs to pursue the subject no further, if a moral law is reduced to residual effects. It becomes problematic, because you are engaging in moral relativity, which is a form of nihilism. This being so, you, my friend, are saying there is no properly composed judgement that yields a moral law within the context of the given manner of reasoning.

link Dan_De_Lyan Joined: Jun 2, 2008
5/12/19, 7:32:01 AM 
being racist or wishing people death,

Which is a better trait?

link Lenks Joined: Dec 16, 2011
5/12/19, 8:21:26 AM 
No matter what y'all say here, cannot change history as to what happened in/to Jamaica 1972 - 1980.

Can embrace/accept the facts or live in denial. Doesn't really matter...

link jacksprat Joined: Dec 17, 2002
5/12/19, 8:22:02 AM 
In reply to Dan_De_Lyan
being racist or wishing people death

Who is being racist, the one who called a group of African-Jamaicans "Black scandal bags" ?

link rudebway Joined: Jul 28, 2009
5/12/19, 7:20:16 PM 
In reply to Chrissy

along with the food shortages, lets not forget the bloody election campaign. Remember Roy McGann?

5/12/19, 7:55:15 PM 
In reply to rudebway

I'll never forget that Sunday and there were many more like that.

link Walco Joined: Jun 21, 2008
5/15/19, 8:45:02 AM 
Heard that Seaga has colon cancer and his organs are failing.

link camos Joined: May 5, 2003
5/15/19, 8:55:51 AM 
In reply to rudebway

the Evening tide home fire!

5/15/19, 10:50:10 AM 
In reply to Walco

Hope he's conscious

link Walco Joined: Jun 21, 2008
5/15/19, 11:13:44 AM 
In reply to Chrissy

A good friend sat next to and spoke with a JLP Minister on a flight from Fort Lauderdale to Kingston on Monday. Apparently some JLP folks have been traveling to Florida for a final visit

5/15/19, 2:53:42 PM 
In reply to Walco

His not holiness gawn - Chang was going but crashed on di way to di airport dis morning.

link Ewart Joined: Mar 4, 2005
5/15/19, 4:10:56 PM 
He has written several articles and a few books that do not tell us what we need to hear. My prayer is that he lives long enough to tell us and the world exactly what he did and with whom between 1974 and 1980. And also what was his real motive.

That would not only lead to a reconciliation among the people of Jamaica, it would also reduce or eliminate the noise from certain voices.

//

5/15/19, 4:20:44 PM 
In reply to Ewart
Not going to happen

link Hanover Joined: Apr 15, 2003
5/15/19, 11:59:07 PM 
Roscoe Pound says that there are three classical professions: Divinity; law; and medicine. Pound doesn’t consider any other calling, work…as a profession – these professions have weighted value. Despite Pound’s claim, however, a study of classical antiquity will reveal that none of these professions influences people’s lives like politics. Politics is the greatest form of human endeavor, because it seeks to build the just city. But a study of modern-day politics will reveal politicians in the hands of big businesses and political racketeers who lend themselves to every sort of villainy.

The battle for West Kingston— Seaga and the 'Burning Spear'
Confronted in the 1962 and 1967 campaigns by a formidable political rival, the resolute and combative Dudley Thompson, supported by 'Group 69' from Matthews Lane, a collective of hard political activists, Seaga quickly adopted an aggressive posture. In addition, Group 69 would have predated Seaga's entry into the crucible of political strife in the Corporate Area and beyond. Thompson, who is unfortunately remembered for his statement that “…... no angels died at Green Bay,” in reference to the murder by agents of the State, of five young men lured to pick up guns in the foothills of St Catherine, was certainly an equal participant in that regrettable period of tribal hostility.Many Comrades would, however, argue that it was in fact Seaga's proactive stance, which pushed Thompson to marshal his forces for inevitable political conflict. But the Miconian Dudley Thompson, a Rhodes Scholar, erudite Queen's Counsel and RAF World War Two fighter pilot who adopted Jomo Kenyatta's nom de guerre 'The Burning Spear', was fully cognisant of the dangers of political battle. As one of the Kenyan leader's defence counsels in the aftermath of the 1952 to 1960 Mau Mau Uprising … he would also have been equally attuned to prepare his people for a long and dangerous struggle of attrition.

To underestimate Thompson would be fatal. Apart from his Kenya sojourn on the African homeland, he had sharpened his spurs through his association with many of the anti-colonial struggles of the 1940s and 50s - from the turmoils of KwameNkrumah's Ghana to Mandela's revolutionary surge in South Africa and relished the battle for power. Cognisant of Thompson's background and his will to prevail, Seaga perceived that victory could only be guaranteed by greater vigilance, organisation and ruthlessness.As a consequence, Seaga did not seek to have consensus around a set of non-violent, non-tribal measures but rather considered discretion and dialogue, as unaffordable luxuries in the bitter and intense political cauldron of the time.

Instructively, Eric Frater recounts that one night in the closing stages of the 1962 campaign, after Dudley Thompson gave one of his usual upbeat briefing to the party executive on the effectiveness of his strategy to control the streets of West Kingston, Norman Manley, the senior Queen's Counsel, gave his own logical assessment with uncontested finality: “Dudley, you are being out manoeuvred and outgunned.”

Inexorably but inevitably, Seaga eventually prevailed over the Panama-born Thompson by 780 votes in the 1962 general election and expanded his margin of victory to 2,772 in 1967. However, old Comrades from West Kingston are adamant that it was the intervention of Superintendent Howard and Inspector Joe Williams, the PNP's nemesis, who with his men tear-gassed hundreds of Dudley's supporters on their way to the voting booths at the Queen's Theatre, Spanish Town Road, that led to Seaga's victory in 1962. They further insist that were it not for the unashamed partisanship of Inspector Joe Williams, who was appointed commissioner of police by Seaga during his tenure as prime minister in the 1980s, the history of Jamaica would have positively changed.

Days of struggle, Days of the Guns
From the ashes of 1972, Seaga emerged as leader of his party in 1974 and set about to rebuild its organs and champion his 'anti-communist' crusade against the PNP. But back in his domain, he was confronted by even more redoubtable opponents than Thompson could ever be. To his northern border was 'Tony' Spaulding, 'the Trench Town Rock' and his Arnett Gardens posse led by the feared 'Tony' Welsh and Anthony 'Starky' Tingle. Hovering to the east was the near-invincible Michael Manley and his 'garrisons' led by intimidating activists such as Burry Boy, Feather Mop, Vinnie, Ozzie, and Lenniments, and with the contentious exit of Wilton Hill in the west, emerged a young, vibrant and formidable Portia Simpson. There was also the forceful Carl 'Russian' Thompson and his Marl Road enforcers in West Central St Andrew. Any gaps, real or imagined, were closed by the then militant Dr DK Duncan, the PNP's general secretary in East Central St Andrew, completing a solid group of stronghold constituencies that the PNP dauntingly referred to as 'the Western Belt'.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/edward-seaga-the_106813?profile=1096&template=MobileArticle

link JohnBull Joined: Feb 12, 2003
5/16/19, 12:28:05 AM 
In reply to Ewart

My fren ...if you waiting for Eddie to have a Saul on the road to Damascus moment and seek forgiveness, you better get a chair and some supplies. There has to be some sense of mea culpa, a self-awareness that you have sinned, a nagging of the conscience that redemption is necessary ...

As Christine so succinctly put it above ... not gonna happen.

5/16/19, 7:09:17 AM 

Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Shocked Confused Cool Laughing Razz Embarassed Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink

Pages: previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  next