Pages: previous  1  2  3  4  5  next 
link nitro Joined: Apr 9, 2003
5/16/19, 5:21:31 PM 
In reply to Lenks

Georges Plain.

link np Joined: Nov 13, 2002
5/16/19, 6:00:07 PM 
In reply to nitro

Herons out of Manchester bush and red dirt —Cross Keys area. Your turn at 4-Paths, as if heading to Milk River/Alligator Pond, and then take the Hill.

I have no idea if they are connected with Galaxy Tours but Arawak might know!!

5/16/19, 6:05:28 PM 
In reply to Hanover

What’s up the man from Hanover — like dem draw yuh out .... and me too ....

The “blinds” does do that when he is mentioned but he draws out my badside ... do t like a bone in him.

link Chrissy Joined: Nov 13, 2002
5/16/19, 6:12:50 PM 
In reply to np

I have a bottle of Blue Nun on ice - they should bury him at Carinosa - or TG.

5/16/19, 6:31:23 PM 
In reply to Chrissy

Him deserve a “Back-O-Wall” grave fi true. big grin

link Dan_De_Lyan Joined: Jun 2, 2008
5/16/19, 6:33:27 PM 

link Hanover Joined: Apr 15, 2003
5/16/19, 6:48:25 PM 
In reply to np

Taking it easy, man; taking it easy.

By the way, “man from Hanover”…I like it. smile smile

On a trivial note: If it is one good thing about this Blind’s thread, it is the fact that it has brought out a few of the not-too-regular posters.

np, when you look at Seaga, and you see this frail man, you pause to reflect: Is this the man who, in the past, caused grown-ass men in the JLP to wet their trousers, and even whipped Desmond McKenzie’s backside in the town square of Tivoli Gardens?

Oh, cruel time! which takes in trust
Our youth, our joys, and all we have,
And pays us but with age and dust;
Who in the dark and silent grave
When we have wandered all our ways
Shuts up the story of our days.
– Sir Walter Ralegh

5/16/19, 7:21:25 PM 
In reply to Hanover

I remember seeing the former Headmistress of St Roses High in G'town, Mother Terisita. She was known as Mother terror - many students were terrified of her.
She was now this frail old woman bent over with age. I wondered what they were afraid of - we were one of the large families at the school and mum taught French so not one of us was afraid of her, but I know students who would scatter if they saw her coming.

I always tell folks who think they are all powerful that if they live long enough they will discover that they are neither indispensable nor all powerful.

Most folks in their 30s know Blinds as an old man and only hear stories about him.

link Hanover Joined: Apr 15, 2003
5/16/19, 7:36:26 PM 
In reply to Chrissy

I always tell folks who think they are all powerful that if they live long enough they will discover that they are neither indispensable nor all powerful

Right there is the truth. Absolutely! And to add to what you stated, above: The longer they live, the more they become men on earth living Dante Alighieri’s Divine Comedy!

5/16/19, 7:49:53 PM 
In reply to Hanover

And Comedy it is - I watched him unable to stand and sing the party song at their last conference. I actually called a friend and said that famous JA line - look what he come to.

link Walco Joined: Jun 21, 2008
5/19/19, 9:49:38 AM 
In reply to Chrissy
watched him unable to stand and sing the party song at their last conference. I actually called a friend and said that famous JA line - look what he come to.

Physical frailty come with old age Chrissy. It is symbolic of nothing more than age. It would have been a lot more significant and perhaps symbolic and worthy of a "look what he come to" if it had occurred in his 50s or 60s ...

5/19/19, 10:05:33 AM 
In reply to Walco

This wretched woman will piss her way to the grave. On CC, DU etc

Ps unfortunately larrpuller is not nostradamus

This man will have a state funeral.
Hope it is big one too

5/19/19, 4:03:40 PM 
In reply to Walco

Ask Roy McGann, ask my cousin Robert, ask Patrick, JoJo et al if they were able to reach old age?
I have no sympathy for that murderous scumbag - none, zippo.

link Walco Joined: Jun 21, 2008
5/19/19, 6:05:54 PM 
In reply to Chrissy
I think you misunderstood my post. I am not saying that Seaga is deserving or undeserving of sympathy. Just pointing out that the inability to stand and/or walk is common among people that age, even people that you might characterize as good and righteous.

link buds Joined: Nov 14, 2002
5/19/19, 6:12:19 PM 
In reply to Chrissy

I was in Tavern/Papine when McGann was gunned down.. I lived on Tavern Crescent till I migrated. Seaga was deeply involved with a lot of shenanigans.

Get well anyway to him.

link JayMor Joined: Dec 14, 2002
5/19/19, 6:34:50 PM 
In reply to buds

What's up, Buds? Coming down midweek this week for VRCA events. Maybe catch a cricket match Sunday with Spreadie, etc. Any netball slated for St Georges Park or Vincent Torres' Park over the weekend?

--Æ.

5/19/19, 6:40:35 PM 
In reply to buds & JayMor

Hi bro - nice to see you.

Tell Spreadie hi for me

5/19/19, 6:47:32 PM 
In reply to JayMor

Hail up Spreadie!!!

5/19/19, 6:48:12 PM 
In reply to buds

What’s going on Sir buds?

link Casper Joined: Nov 8, 2018
5/19/19, 7:23:53 PM 
I can’t speak to the pros or cons of Seaga with the authority this thread deserves, but, this picture tells a story. What is it?

And the accompanying article evokes the memory of man (a politician), warts and all, who for some could not have been all that bad.

5/19/19, 7:46:54 PM 
In reply to Casper

He objected to the highway being built - please spare me. That was and is naked vulgar politics.

5/19/19, 7:47:34 PM 
In reply to Casper

Edward Seaga Highway

bwaaaa bwaaaa.. cool

link JayMor Joined: Dec 14, 2002
5/20/19, 11:53:13 AM 
In reply to Chrissy and Nev

I'll definitely hail up Spreadie for you. In fact I'll tell him today. And if Sir Buds surfaces I'll do likewise too. A so; later.

--Æ.

link Ewart Joined: Mar 4, 2005
5/20/19, 1:57:56 PM 
"I will mark my X in PNP blood..."

Edward Phillip George Seaga would have been a 14-year-old fourth-former at Wolmer's Boys' School when Norman Manley put the finishing touches on the Constitution in 1943-44. He was 32 and a minister of government when the work of people like Garvey, Roberts, Domingo, Ken Hill, Norman Manley, O.T. Fairclough and others resulted in the granting of Independence from Britain.

As minister of development and welfare, and later as prime minister, Seaga had some very bright spots, none brighter than his promotion of women in the civil service and elsewhere. In a society long dominated by men, bright women were now for the first time being pushed to the top, principal among whom were Gloria Knight and Thelma Rose Campbell.

Seaga's promotion of Jamaican culture has never been surpassed. One of the earliest of these supports was the creation of a section in his ministry that was devoted to helping singers/songwriters secure copyright for their products, even while detractors dubbed him 'Minister of Ska'. He upgraded the annual Jamaica Festival into something much bigger, with street dances, costumes, floats, and the kind of overall celebration seen in Trinidad, although many people felt it was not the real Jamaican culture. He restored Devon House and created Things Jamaican. He drew up a street maximisation plan for Kingston.

As a minister of the first independent government, his enthusiasm for our newly won Independence led him to try and expunge Emancipation Day from the national psyche. 'Forget about slavery' was the idea. 'We have Independence now.' It was P.J. Patterson, many years later, who put Emancipation back on the Jamaican map. In 1979, the year before he became prime minister, Seaga was censured by Parliament on a motion by Foreign Affairs Minister P.J. Patterson for his unpatriotic activities against Jamaica with US agents in and outside America.

He promoted or introduced several institutions, including the Jamaica Stock Exchange (196cool, Jamaica Unit Trust (1970), Jamaica Mortgage Bank (1973), National Development Bank (1981), Agricultural Credit Bank (1981), Ex-Im Bank (1986), the Students' Loan Bureau and Jamaica National Investment Promotion Ltd (now JAMPRO).

He also launched the brilliant Spring Plains winter vegetables project to diversify the economy. Jumbo jet loads of these winter vegetables were exported to US markets. But the man he chose as manager, Eli Tisona, one of Israel's biggest mobsters, was arrested by US authorities and found guilty of 146 federal counts for drug-money laundering. It appears he was using the Spring Plains jumbo jet shipments to smuggle cocaine from Colombia to the US.

But Seaga also created for himself a bad press. Featuring trenchant partisan politics ("I will mark my 'X' in PNP blood on election day"), his 40 years in public life detracted from the building of the Jamaican nation. His good idea around creating Tivoli Gardens dimmed when only his own JLP supporters were allowed back into the new development. It was the real beginning of garrison politics that saw its apex when he offered "safe passage" out of Tivoli to security forces pinned down by gunmen with superior weaponry.

GARRISON POLITICS

In an article commending Seaga, the late Ian Boyne had this to say: "Seaga has not done enough to rein in the criminals of Tivoli Gardens. This is one of his greatest failures of his 40 years. Every time I have written about Seaga, I have deplored ... his role in garrison politics ... . There are times when he has put constituency interests first, and that is unforgivable."

Mark Wignall said, "He needs to apologise to this nation." And a letter writer to The Gleaner last week describes him as "one of the country's most destabilising persons."

link jacksprat Joined: Dec 17, 2002
5/20/19, 2:30:45 PM 
COUNTERPOINT: A FAWNING TRIBUTE TO THE FAULTLESS MR. EDWARD PHILLIP GEORGE SEAGA

Out of a desire to praise great men when they are still with us, this and succeeding articles will examine the contribution of former Prime Minister Edward Seaga to the building of our nation. These articles will avoid the hackneyed subject of his economic management and will focus instead on the programmes he used to empower the working class, his defence of freedom in our country and the world, his beautiful 1992 tribute to Nelson Mandela, and end by testing the claim of his adversaries that he is the father of political violence.

Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Shocked Confused Cool Laughing Razz Embarassed Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink

Pages: previous  1  2  3  4  5  next