The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

City or Liverpool

birdseye 2019-05-12 12:29:50 

City here wink

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 12:50:05 

I don't see how city ties, much less loses this game.

Thus whole setup is anticlimactic.

Add to that both teams are playing average to below average teams for the last match.

Don't like, never liked, will never like this format for a professional League.

DAVE400 2019-05-12 13:06:20 

In reply to Ayenmol

What you talking about?

It have no "gimmes" in the EPL...the matches have to play.

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 13:09:31 

In reply to DAVE400

Anyone who tries to defend this is being obtuse.

I understand this is the way it is but this is nonsense.

There's no real argument that can be made for this format.

DAVE400 2019-05-12 13:23:23 

did you just call me obtuse?

DAVE400 2019-05-12 13:24:15 

round robin is pure stamina....

the team with most points is boss....

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 13:27:18 

In reply to DAVE400

Everything that matters in life is meadured, not by how you start, but by how you finish!

Sports, Business, Life itself is judged not by how you dtart, but how you finish.

Even the Canadians know a Playoff is necessary to bring about a climax.

DAVE400 2019-05-12 13:29:33 

In reply to Ayenmol

Sorry...you North Americans love to much manufactured drama...proof of this is the IPL...the Indians love to copy hollywood drama...so their Bollywood league does the same...

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 13:31:15 

In reply to DAVE400

Uefa Does not depend on points, World cup does not...Hockey which ranks teams by points in the reg season does not rely on it...does even Rugby do that?

College football for years relied on some nonsensical ranking to determine a Champ, citing tradition. They moved on.

Only in England do they continue to piss on their fans and claim it's raining sunshine.

DAVE400 2019-05-12 13:36:29 

In reply to Ayenmol

Dude...All European Leagues have same format..for decades too.

Rich Tradition.

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 13:36:59 

City has lost 3 more games than Liverpool. Drew what? 3 less? Yet they lead?

You can start strong and coast, fail more while another team is more consistent.

Have a few millimeters determine an entire season months efore it ends?

Makes no sense.

DAVE400 2019-05-12 13:39:03 

I would love the day when Champions League is same format with it being a purely promoted league with the Champions exempted from their domestic league...

Of course domestic fans would never tolerate this as travelling to away games would be too expensive.

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 13:42:21 

In reply to DAVE400

Rich Tradition.

Rich anticlimactic dinosaurs.

They don't even have the decency to finish up with rivals facing each other.

There's a reason why this would never fly in the US...or this part of the World period...because people here do not put common sense aside for tradition!

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 13:44:49 

If Europe had a legitimate second much less third competing Sport, then you'd see change.

But the people can only handle one sport in that part of the World so it remains prehistoric.

Halliwell 2019-05-12 13:54:17 

In reply to Ayenmol

You trolling sah? lol

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 14:00:07 

In reply to Halliwell

Come on man. It's the truth.

Am watching Premiere League mornings on NBC sports...even from their banter "we have SOME drama", "this is their Superbowl" etc etc. Cries that this is anticlimactic.

The only reason this format lives on is because there's zero competition to football in Europe!

Zero.

Europeans are simplistic Sports fans.

Maispwi 2019-05-12 14:04:25 

In reply to Ayenmol

Everything that matters in life is meadured, not by how you start, but by how you finish!

Based on dat argument City shud have already been crowned winners cause Liverpool had a seven point lead midway during de season which means City are the ones who have been finishing better.

And by the way while you at it shud de Champions League winners be decided in a best of three format? Cause maybe just maybe a one off game is not a measure of a team's abilities

DAVE400 2019-05-12 14:04:47 

In reply to Ayenmol

You choosing arguably the last day of arguably the most exciting title race ever to make you point...

big grin

DAVE400 2019-05-12 14:05:49 

And spurs starts the ball rolling!! big grin

Gooaaaalllllll

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 14:10:36 

The fact that the 2 greater iterations of the Sport uses a round Robin sorta format with the Champ decided on the field, UCL and World Cup, with not a single call from anyone of note for that to change, speaks to the inferiority of this point system and these Leagues.

It's like College football and the NFL...College football gets it numbers but everyone realizes that it is an inferior product to the real League, thus it's Championship idiosyncrasies are tolerated.

Soccer at this level is highly popular and last forever...thus the interest...but even their fans know it is not as important as UCL or World Cup, so putup with it's idiosyncrasies as tradition.

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 14:12:06 

In reply to DAVE400

You choosing arguably the last day of arguably the most exciting title race ever to make you point...

See it there? How can it be so, when according to you today is just as important as week 1?

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 14:24:38 

goal liverpool.

meanwhile the non gimme game is still tied while city dominates possession.

DAVE400 2019-05-12 14:24:58 

Liverpool score...and City concedes

culpepperboy 2019-05-12 14:27:23 

In reply to Ayenmol

Briiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggttttttttttooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!! cool

culpepperboy 2019-05-12 14:28:27 

In reply to culpepperboy

Cittttttttttttttttttttttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!! cool

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 14:31:37 

Left nbcsn tp go look for the liverpool game not realizing it was on nbc...in the few moments I was gone looking...2 goals scored.

I missed them both. so tied again.

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 14:33:15 

In the meantime, Liverpool defense as solid as a rock!

culpepperboy 2019-05-12 14:38:12 

Cccccccccccccccccciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 14:40:09 

In reply to culpepperboy

Anticlimactic. City not losing to this waste of space team.

By putting the onus on such a team to prevent the defending Camps from winning at home...you are putting Championship level pressure on them.

No one can say they are playing free.

This done, and been done for weeks!

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 14:56:17 

Aguero and Sterling could be out and City would still be expected to draw this game.

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 15:11:51 

Beyond even all that, how do you schedule the defending CHamps to play their final game against the likes of Brighton/Albion?

Seriously!

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 15:26:45 

Liv vs Wol commie:

"Manchester City now with a 3~1 lead over Brighton. They now hold a vice like grip on the Premiere League Championship. There is NOTHING liverpool can do about it!"

This is a team, down 3 goals went into it's opponents den and crushed them 4~0 to go on to the UCL Championship!

Who would not want to see this team face City with the Cup on the line?

Steeeuupppsss!

NineMiles 2019-05-12 15:32:02 

4-1 to Citee and dats curtains. The LoserPools miss out again! razz

DAVE400 2019-05-12 15:38:13 

Citeeee

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 15:41:31 

Mane...always there when needed!

Liverpool...winners in my eyes...most consistent team and best defense by a mile!

1 loss!

The offense lagged a few times this year. But very balanced and dangerous!

The Warriors of the Premier League!

Chrissy 2019-05-12 15:57:28 

In reply to NineMiles

lol lol lol

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 16:09:16 

In reply to Maispwi

And by the way while you at it shud de Champions League winners be decided in a best of three format? Cause maybe just maybe a one off game is not a measure of a team's abilities

Why not? At the end of the day you have two teams separated by one point...

Liverpool lost because of a a draw during the Season...City lost 4 times more games!

Can you tell me with certainty that with the Championship on the line city would beat Liverpool?

To me if the standing is less than the point total of a win, there should be a deciding game!

1 point is equivalent to a draw by the League's own standards!

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 16:19:53 

Even the players are dissatisfied!

Virgil...a real man's man...expressed that!

Crown a Champion on the field!

No one respects this junk!

No closure!

imusic 2019-05-12 18:23:24 

In reply to Ayenmol

Get over yourself dude

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 20:50:07 

In reply to imusic

Just my opinion imusic.

I know alot of people enjoy it as it is...but this is anticlimactic.

Which is why no one can offer an interjection other than to infer am wrong because am the only one saying it here.

imusic 2019-05-12 20:57:23 

In reply to Ayenmol

Liverpool has their destiny in their own hands and blew it

Did Man City somehow win the title off the field? Did they protest a loss or draw and the result reversed or something?

Was Leroy Sane playing for Liverpool when he scored the winner at Anfield?

Is not like Man City played by different rules which is why they wo

And Liverpool rightfully feeling a sense of loss and wondering about what could have been. Then they simply have to look in the mirror.

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 21:03:37 

In reply to imusic

That is not the point.

They lost 1 game...so that argument falls flat! Over the course of a Season many thi gs happen that are beyond your control.

When a team happens to finish one point ahead of you when you lost that Manny games less than they did?
Come on man.

Every real league and Sport around the Globe understands the importance of settling things on the field...between two teams facing the same eventuality!

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 21:12:53 

Not a single person has said in this...City is better than Liverpool.

Not one. Why?

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 21:33:52 

Particularly in a sport where a missed offsides here, a penalty given or not given there, any little thing can mean a loss?

Man this begs for a championship game or plus one at least in times like this...

1point? That ain't no way to declare a Champion.

But for a guy like me it is obvious these club leagues are just not top flight...just happen to be popular.

The Governors of the Sport puts emphasis and regard the World Cup and Champions League as the creme de la creme and regard this level as third rate.

Only thing that makes sense. Why rock the boat on a third rate level?

birdseye 2019-05-12 22:42:03 

In reply to Ayenmol

But for a guy like me it is obvious these club leagues are just not top flight...just happen to be popular.
Am I dreaming or did premier league teams qualify for four final places in Champions League & Europa League this year ---- so how did you arrive at your conclusion again?

wink wink

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 22:48:47 

In reply to birdseye

Don't all the other leagues have the same format?

birdseye 2019-05-12 23:27:12 

In reply to Ayenmol

Maybe I misread you – thought you were saying that the premier league played an lesser quality soccer compared to the other European brands

Ayenmol 2019-05-12 23:36:32 

In reply to birdseye

No just that the powers that be realize the real product is the CL and WC and this is just a way to keep the crazies engaged.

I mean it is like college football...great players scattered about many leagues and clubs.

They play within their conferences/leagues, then get together to play in Playoffs/Championship league then they go to the Big Leagues every 4 years for the Ultimate crown!

birdseye 2019-05-12 23:48:18 

In reply to Ayenmol

Nothing wrong with delightful aspirations --- but then there is reality wink wink

Ayenmol 2019-05-13 00:08:09 

In reply to birdseye

Right, reality being teams get one point for a draw . Team finishes with a one point advantage and that is enough to declare them Champs.

While the two other iterations that brings in a greater array of talent, has the penultimate game.

You think the World Cup would thrive under a point system?

By Premier League standings the Nuggets were better than the Blazers...seven games later, and a home loss with both teams staring down the same gauntlet we know who rises under pressure.

Ayenmol 2019-05-13 00:24:19 

confused

imusic 2019-05-13 03:24:58 

In reply to Ayenmol

City IS better than Liverpool. Punto final

birdseye 2019-05-13 13:10:30 

In reply to Ayenmol

You think the World Cup would thrive under a point system?

They thrive under a ‘one goal’ system --- so a “one point” or a one goal – is really a distinction without a difference

I really can’t assent to your reasoning on your descent (LOL) on the ‘one point advantage’ --- cricket matches are won by one run, golf matches are won by one stroke, track races are won by 1/1000 of a second ---- all very acceptable--- I accept that Man City excluded --- the premier league may not play the most esthetic/ artistic/pleasing soccer – but its highly entertaining

Ayenmol 2019-05-13 13:30:16 

In reply to birdseye

In golf you play the course, not each other! Even then the two leaders are paired together on the final day!

In Cricket which is not a mainstream sport the matches are few, but then test cricket is stagnant and been that way for decades!

In 100 dashes you run against your opponent. While time is a huge factor, they do not allow each runner to run individually then check times!

You are missing the point!

These leagues, with their point system, legislate out of the sport the main ingredients that make sports and competition great!

The mano ah mano factor!

The finallity! The satisfaction of players and fans to say, I faced my best opponent on the field and defeated him with all factors being the same!

I saw Liverpool play a game with ice all over the field! I believe that was a draw!
Man city may never have faced that obstacle...yet that may have determined the outcome!

Ayenmol 2019-05-13 13:45:03 

In reply to imusic

City IS better than Liverpool. Punto final

If you could back it up, you would have.

City has very high highs then low lows.

Liverpool is much more balanced.

This is why City got bounced from the TOURNAMENT, while Liverpool excelled.

Even keeled, able to rise to the occasion when their backs against the wall!

Better team!

Tryangle 2019-05-13 13:50:56 

In reply to Ayenmol

I don't know if the suggestion of making all pro club football leagues follow the MLS formula will see the light of day; remember that in other club football leagues there's a separate competition that's a knock-out format (in England there's the FA and League Cups).

Some may see it as a solution to a non-problem.

Ayenmol 2019-05-13 14:14:29 

In reply to Tryangle

True, but it generates more eyeballs and more cache than the league formats.

In your heart, as much as you love the the individual Leagues, I bet you cherish the Champions League win more than an EPL cup.

Ask yourself why.

Same with the World Cup.

Like I said earlier, the fact that in Europe football dwarfs everything else allows them to get away with it..,,no competition to remind the people of how beautiful head to head competition is.

camos 2019-05-13 14:30:15 

In reply to imusic

how do you get entangled with a guy who started watching last month?

Ayenmol 2019-05-13 14:35:41 

In reply to camos

cry cry

Sad.

How long do I need to "watch" to understand the disadvantages of this nonsensical format?

Do you think maybe your emotional involvement is what puts you at a disadvantage?

Or you wanna play elitist because you wanna believe that your time investment is of some value.

Try arguing the point rather than discredit me to elevate yourself.

I do not need to do drugs to know it's negative effect.

Maispwi 2019-05-13 14:53:54 

In reply to camos

And one who eh realise dat a similar situation like de Man city - Liverpool scenario cud prevent a team making the playoffs cause same Points System is being used prior to de playoffs

Ayenmol 2019-05-13 15:04:54 

In reply to Maispwi

Yes. But that is a far cry from a claim to the Championship.

A team that misses a pool of 12 teams in the NFL is not deserving.

A team that misses a Championship by one point after not playing under the same circumstances as the winner? When the very same tournament awards a win 3 points and a draw one?

When the team also has a better win lose record?

There are lots of arguments to Liverpool's worthiness.

One point to City's.

Not good enough is my argument.

Maispwi 2019-05-13 15:17:50 

In reply to Ayenmol

So is not de format u have problems with its de Points System cause if as in medieval time with 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw, Liverpool wud have won by 1 point and you wud have been happy

Ayenmol 2019-05-13 15:25:58 

In reply to Maispwi

Nope.

Big time sports like this should be settled on the field between the two parties who have the closest claim to it.

Period!

One team should be able to look it's opponent in the eye and say, am better than you!

Not compile points under different circumstances some more adverse than others then declare a winner based on points...particularly when the point total is not even tantamount to a win by your own standard of point distribution.

But. These club matchups were never meant to mean this much.

It is an ancient setup designed to suit ancient small time league play.

Just happened to gain popularity among a simplistic sports community!

Ayenmol 2019-05-13 15:56:27 

Consider this. Because City, and their inconsistent play, was eliminated from the more prestigious Champions League they were able to focus on the EPL.

While Liverpool has had to play two games a week for much of their remaining schedule.

With the ups and downs that come naturally with such stress on athletes is it not more impressive what they are doing?

Look at their opponent in the CL final...What is their accomplishment in the EPL?

When did they finally start playing lights out in the CL?

birdseye 2019-05-13 18:16:46 

In reply to Ayenmol

I guess if you don’t like broccoli – no amount of touting its benefits will make you like it --- so I’ll move on wink wink

Ayenmol 2019-05-13 18:21:43 

In reply to birdseye

Actually, I don't like brocoli.

Yet I eat it often.

And you are yet to list a benefit of this format.

Would love to hear it.

Please don't say tradition.

birdseye 2019-05-13 18:31:11 

In reply to Ayenmol

on
I enjoy the sport – from the kids peewee level on - and the premier league provides a level of income for these young men – a level of which most if not all could only dream of – some players are making upwards of $500,000 per match – and the entertainment, for me is fabulous

Ayenmol 2019-05-13 18:39:15 

In reply to birdseye

That has nothing to do with the point format and declaring a champion based on reg season of points accumulation only..

Of course if there was another sport in that part of the World that paid as much, more players would play that.

This would dilute the fan base and the player pool.

This would force them to compete by ensuring the game was as competitive as ever.

When you are the only show in town, you get away with ancient rules