The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

This is Bad. Really, Really Bad

sgtdjones 2019-05-18 14:16:48 

Russian Hacking Group Claims to Breach Three AV Companies

I know what you’re thinking. That I am simply being overly sensational to create a sense of fear. But, you’re wrong. What happened is not only bad, but really, really bad.

The Russian hacking group called Fxmsp is claiming to have hacked three of the most popular security solutions. However, to date, the names of these organization have not been released.

There is no evidence that customer data has been leaked because the group went straight for these companies’ jugulars. Instead of breaching customer data, they stole private company information. Now customers may think they are in the clear because their data wasn’t taken, but they couldn’t be more wrong. Security experts have found credible evidence the information taken by the hackers includes development documents, artificial intelligence models and security solution base codes. This means hackers know exactly how to bypass the security solutions developed by these three companies. As I said, this is really, really bad. Not only for the companies who have to do damage control but for anyone using these solutions. But there is a problem. No one knows what companies were breached. Komando reached out to Bitdefender, Avast, Norton, and McAfee for a comment. Both Bitdefender and Avast confirmed they were not one of the companies impacted. Norton and McAfee have yet to respond.

Link Text

sgtdjones 2019-05-18 14:18:11 

Update: BleepingComputer has released messages from private underground forums, which indicate Symantec, McAfee, and Trend Micro were the three AV companies struck. Of the three, Trend Micro is the only one that has confirmed being impacted.

Courtesy 2019-05-18 14:22:42 

In reply to sgtdjones

Mate, this is serious stuff.

Admin may consider offering some consultancy.