The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

This seat is taken White Boy

Maispwi 2019-06-19 15:40:46 

"The first time I got on the team bus it was all 'this seat's taken'," said Cox, who is of mixed race. "I was probably the lightest skinned player there and, when I introduced myself to the squad, straight away they were calling me 'white boy'. I was shocked."

If it was de other way round wud we be crying racism?

Come een Muddies.

Maispwi 2019-06-19 15:41:49 

Wrong room. Please move

JOJO 2019-06-19 17:27:03 

In reply to Maispwi

Seriously? Should I interpret this as a pathetic attempt at trolling?

Verstehen 2019-06-20 07:26:37 

I’m sure they didn’t say ‘white boy’.

It was probably white bway......

nitro 2019-06-20 10:45:11 

In reply to Maispwi

Of course they would shouting racism.

Look at how the "white boy" Brendon Nash was treated when he made the West Indies team versus the black Jofra Archer fellow who ran away from them.

Many on here despised the white boy while they applaud the black guy!

RonaldM 2019-06-20 11:26:43 

Always a “false name “ to be thrown around in Guyana and probably the entire Caribbean. It’s the culture, or ignorance there.

CITYBOY 2019-06-20 14:39:27 

Hola...a set of nothing here...please leave the Guyanese people alone...Guyanese have been known all their life to have nicknames and tantalise and poke fun at each other...nothing about white ,red or pink or brown bhai means or touch on racism...its just the way we are,,
racism however exists and raises its ugly head when the political mantra is voiced..PNC?PPP?or whatever..
so until then you can call me..

a ....ie boy...and its ok..
After all we sing about it..
Adios
Cb

ray 2019-06-20 15:02:05 

if you know Guyana and Guyanese, you would know this is not a big deal...

steveo 2019-06-20 16:49:58 

In reply to Maispwi

the thing is, in guyana "white boy" is not said to disparage but to be friendly, you will hear "chinee boy", "red boy" ( "red gal" ) and none is mean to connote anything negative, these are things usually said with a smile not a scowl

JOJO 2019-06-20 17:06:05 

In reply to steveo

the thing is, in guyana "white boy" is not said to disparage but to be friendly, you will hear "chinee boy", "red boy" ( "red gal" ) and none is mean to connote anything negative, these are things usually said with a smile not a scowl

Not only Guyana, but across the Caribbean. I do not understand why the op would imply that this is racist. It is all a matter of context.

steveo 2019-06-20 17:18:47 

In reply to JOJO

people too sensitive these days

Drapsey 2019-06-20 17:30:19 

In reply to Maispwi

Them Muddies seeing doubles. That Cox guy certainly doesn't look white to me.

Maispwi 2019-06-20 21:39:52 

In reply to steveo

The C word is used in some parts of the Caribbean without meaning it to have any negative connotations. But am sure if any poster of Indian decent on this board was called such they wudn think it was just a cultural thing

steveo 2019-06-21 00:15:02 

In reply to Maispwi

But am sure if any poster of Indian decent on this board was called such they wudn think it was just a cultural thing

You think wrong, you can call me the c-word all day long, dont mean a thing to me lol lol lol

In guyana, a guy sing a popular song declaring he is a C-boy

beesis 2019-06-21 10:46:54 

In reply to nitro

Many on here despised the white boy while they applaud the black guy!

Stop lying. It doesn't suit you as a holier than thou person or maybe you're just emulating your king.
Death was even wished upon Archer which never happen to Nash. The call on Nash was that he was taking a born West Indian spot not death or bodily injuries. You are such a liar like your king.

Cardiac 2019-06-22 12:30:17 

In reply to Maispwi

Though Guyana still has big racial problems I wouldn't see that as racist. In Guyana we still call ppl by how they appear: Black bai, 'Coolie' bai, White boy, tall man, Soulja man, etc.

nick2020 2019-06-22 12:45:23 

In reply to steveo

What about "black boy"?

edit - I now saw Cardiac post.

steveo 2019-06-22 13:01:35 

In reply to nick2020

What about "black boy"?

edit - I now saw Cardiac post.

Yes does happen and dont happen because of your race, but your color, I know indian man so dark they called 'black boy' and others even darker called 'blue boy'

granite 2019-06-24 14:49:11 

In reply to steveo
This is different because they appear to not want him to sit next to them,please don't make excuses.My brother got mugged twice and my neighbour made excuses for the muggers,that is the problem always making excuses for these scumbags.