The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Cec Wright, who played with Sobers, Worrell...

Sangfroid 2019-06-19 23:26:59 

Cecil 'CEC' Wright often gets stopped on the road during his long walks around his hometown of Royton, some 10 miles out from Manchester, by sixty-somethings with the same lament. "I bet you don't remember me. You used to be my coach when I was 15. And that was 50 years ago. What are you doing still playing?" At 85, Wright admits to not having the best memory, and who can blame him for that.

Link Text

Chrissy 2019-06-19 23:44:36 

In reply to Sangfroid

Very interesting - thanks

Sangfroid 2019-06-19 23:46:27 

cool

che 2019-06-19 23:54:48 

In reply to Sangfroid

it took a word of advice from the late Worrell to turn it around for the young fast bowler. Wright had interacted with the first black captain of the West Indies previously.
"I used to work for Jamaica Transports when someone told me I'd been summoned to the Sabina Park by Franky the next day. It was a Test match and he said, 'Cecil Wright, you're the drink boy today. I said, 'oh yes that'll do'"
lol lol lol

Sangfroid 2019-06-19 23:58:31 

In reply to che

That struck me too. Things are so different today. Seems like a nice chap.

hubert 2019-06-20 00:35:42 

Nice read. CEC Wright was something else. Was a promising young pacer in 1958. The article mentioned Collie Smith;should have been Cammie who played
alongside Seymour Nurse who debuted in that two match series tat summer.Peter Lashley, Tony White,Geoff Foster,Tony Atkins,Wes and Othniel Downes were also
in the squad for Bim.
Holt,Cammie and Nurse all made tons and the best was Seymoure's. Knew he would play Test cricket after his strokeplay which was very special.

Had CEC not settled in England,He, not Chester Watson would probably be the Test debutant in 1960 against England. Along with Edwin Calneck and
batsman ace fielder Clinton Headlam he represented a fine crop of young Jamaica players who were lost to the Jamaica and West Indies cause,but the
abundance of talent then meant they were not missed.

No surprise to me that he is still playing. He like Trinidad's Pascal Roberts is of special mettle.If Pascal is still around I am sure he will be
on a cricket field. smile
Nice read.

Sangfroid 2019-06-20 09:54:31 

In reply to hubert

Thanks