The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

FINCHES SMUGGLED FROM GUYANA- 5K USD

Emir 2019-06-24 19:37:32 

Per bird.

The Manhattan DA is set to prosecute a Guyanese who smuggled 30 Finches from Guyana to NYC . These beautiful baby birds were smuggled in hair curlers and place on a carry on bag- Now it begs the question, why did the Guyanese officials at the airport failed to detect it? No doubt they are part of it.

They are prepared to smuggle away their country's natural beauty for American consumer goods?

What a shame.

Link Text

Bigzinc 2019-06-24 19:47:54 

In reply to Emir

lock them up in solitary in tiny cells... corrupt skunts

Larr Pullo 2019-06-24 20:46:09 

Less time than cocaine...and more payoff per ounce it seems.

Ayenmol 2019-06-24 20:51:53 

All 34 birds discovered last week were alive, and placed in the custody of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, which has regulations that allow for their return, if feasible, to Guyana.

So what happens to the 2117 confiscated so far, if not feasible?

Let me guess, they end up in the custody of the well connected and affluent?

Hardly something to get all hot and bothered about.

As long as the animals are not being significantly depleted ...

buds 2019-06-24 21:33:13 

I lived beside a Guyanese guy who had a Towa towa? I am not sure if I am spelling the word correctly. He said it was from Guyana.

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-06-24 22:19:31 

Towa Towa is correct B

Any of you self righteous skuntorp championing the rights of these birds while chowing down on some KFC smile

Chrissy 2019-06-24 22:28:23 

In reply to Emir

They do it over and over

Lock them up

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-06-24 22:32:12 

In reply to Chrissy

fuck off and go bussey a pitch.

It is predominantly an Indo activity...Donald Trump of CC..

With your dog Bird Whistle

"They" do it over and over 

Lock "them" up

Emir 2019-06-25 01:07:47 

In reply to Chrissy

Agreed.

Emir 2019-06-25 01:07:58 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

rolleyes rolleyes

jala 2019-06-25 14:49:21 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

I “mine” these same birds - I sell them locally ... they are a lucrative business ...I know of the underground bird smuggling practice - many Guyanese do it, and yes, it’s predominantly indo Guyanese who do it, and overdo it...

Many men smuggle 5 birds ERC, and are not often caught or bothered - it’s rhe greedy ones who want to make maximum money from a large haul, are often caught - let them stay in jail !

Bigzinc 2019-06-25 14:55:29 

In reply to jala

I enjoy birds in the wild and would never keep one...

Runs 2019-06-25 15:04:49 

In reply to Bigzinc

Canaries have been domesticated for centuries, same as your rooster and hens which you incidentally kill and eat, how barbaric. rolleyes lol

Ayenmol 2019-06-25 15:17:42 

In reply to Runs

Exactly...also agree with jala.

Some people are just quick to cast judement.

As long as they are mot involved in something, they quick to bury those who are, without a thought. It is only when they have a vested interest in an issue that they argue for it even when it is obvious it's negative HUMAN impact!

Singing birds? Notice no one has expressed interest in whether the birds get back to Guyana?

The birds are known for their singing and they are utilizing them for such...the law is that they need to be quarantined, then they will pay the penalty for going afoul of the law!

All this hubub by people who cry about drugs needing to be legal and excuse all sorts of sordid behavior that have been proven to be detrimental to Soceity...they fight for those things...but a man wantin to catch and sell some birds...rot in jail...
rolleyes rolleyes

Bigzinc 2019-06-25 15:26:22 

In reply to Runs

who says i am not a vegetarian???.

these are not domesticated birds but mostly wild birds...

these people are breaking the law, if they want to export the birds to the us, then do so in a legal manner and not stuff the birds in tiny spaces where they cannot move for several hours.. its torture the poor things.

let them rot in jails... these are not poor poachers hustling a living.. breaking the law makes you a criminal....now fact off

Runs 2019-06-25 15:32:32 

In reply to Bigzinc

Wrong guy you are addressing you moron, I corrected your statement, which had a condescending tone and flawed logic. I never said I agreed with the breaking of the law etc now in tun fcuk off and kerry yuh sk. t for good measure.

Ayenmol 2019-06-25 15:33:07 

In reply to Bigzinc

these people are breaking the law, if they want to export the birds to the us, then do so in a legal manner and not stuff the birds in tiny spaces where they cannot move for several hours.. its torture the poor things.

This...

Then this...

these are not poor poachers hustling a living.. breaking the law makes you a criminal.

disjointed nonsensical argument..."am disgusted by the lack of space for the animals in transport...but am okay with poachers who destroy the animals for money".

Like was brought out...do you kn ow what conditions animals endure that serve as food for the masses? Is it poor folks who make the money from those practices?

XFactor 2019-06-25 15:41:02 

In reply to Bigzinc

I don’t get it why some of you act so righteous and indignant because a couple of bird lovers capture a few finches and care for them better than their children.

Just go to your local pet stores and see what kind of birds and animals they have there and see how they are treated and then come back and talk about animal cruelty and profiting from animals in captivity.

If you want to be outraged, then turn your attention to animals that are poached into extinction by your wealthy trophy hunter.

Bigzinc 2019-06-25 15:45:28 

In reply to Ayenmol

look, i wont judge a man for providing for his family once he does not rob anyone...context....

poaching is more palatable for a starving soul

however, these peeps motivation was greed, not hunger...

jail them

Bigzinc 2019-06-25 15:47:32 

In reply to XFactor

what are you smoking xfactor.. these people are reselling the birds for big profits...

Greed and not love for the birds..

Locking them up so the cannot move for several hours, i really dont want to see how they care for their children..

jail them

Bigzinc 2019-06-25 15:48:46 

In reply to Runs

runs my gt brethren,,, why you getting you skinny self all hot and bothered...

lock them up is the cry

Runs 2019-06-25 15:52:35 

In reply to Bigzinc

Am a bird lover brother, this is close to home. I agree if they broke the law to let them face the full force.
Plus this, ignorance abounds, no need to smuggle.

“Baby finches, he said, learn to sing by imitation. Mr. Bruning, who was instrumental in the passage of the Wild Bird Conservation Act of 1992 that safeguards exotic bird species from being harmed by international trade, suggested competitors record the songs of champion birds and play them for chicks raised legally in captivity”.

XFactor 2019-06-25 16:01:49 

In reply to Bigzinc

Big profits? really....

The people that are capturing the birds are barely putting food in their mouths. The birds are worth what Runs and other bird lovers are willing to pay for them.

And here is what you don’t get, in this instance, the birds are worth more alive than dead.

Bigzinc 2019-06-25 16:02:14 

In reply to Runs

exactly,, why stress the birds out

from time of packing the birds to actually freeing them has to be close to 15 hours...in a tiny space where they cannot move.

This is greed pure and simple.

Amazon has a negative tax rate and got a tax refund of over 100 Million even after an 11 billion net profit.. Perfectly legal but totally immoral. How much money can Bezos spend.

I grew up in a small village on the EBD and many villagers had birds in cages and even as a small child, i couldnt understand why they kept them.

where is bravos when you need him

Ayenmol 2019-06-25 16:02:47 

First of all the issue here is'nt the transport of the birds or the quantity...is it?

Is that what has caused them to be in hot water?

Are these finches nearing extinction?

Can they only survive on Guyana?

Are there limits in guyana for the number captured?

This guy , as far as i read, simply broke the law on quarantine....but simply because 1) you all feel that indo guyanese are culprits then you all are upset...2) since you all do not understand the thought process or culture, you all are quick to cast aspersion.

But then when Whites do not understand the Culture and practices of other Races and Cultures and they seek to legislate it or incarcerate large numbers of people based on technicalities, then you all cry racism!

If am reading correctly, this man was just lazy or hasty to not have his birds quarantined...and so he's in hot water...at the end of the day am betting these finches are going to the people who want them anyway...

Runs 2019-06-25 16:06:51 

In reply to XFactor

I refuse to pay 3k for one bro, other species in my opinion are prettier and whistle much better. I never understood the big fuss about the tower tower, I felt it was because they were harder to secure, being found more inland than say the mountain canary, fire red and other species which were more coastal and easier to get.

Come n hexperts and remember the preference for a particular species is subjective and price is what the connoisseur is willing to pay for it.
Why is the towa towa so much in demand.

Runs 2019-06-25 16:09:03 

In reply to Ayenmol

Bingo cool
Don’t think their habitat is unique to only Guyana, they seem to be found along riverain savannas. He could have done it the legal way.
All races in Guyana keep birds as pets, parrots, finches etc not really unique to any and it is across all socio-eco-edu segments.
Guyanese love pets. cool
Trinboganians rear also, Bravos chime in nah man, you are the flora and fauna expert.
This mass US media attention may make this bird much more popular in the pet stores.

Bigzinc 2019-06-25 16:20:34 

In reply to Ayenmol

it is inhumane they way they transport the birds... there are legal and humane ways to transport wildlife..

having said that, i find it inhumane and repugnant to keep a bird in a cage... just me..

Ayenmol 2019-06-25 16:23:51 

In reply to Bigzinc

I do not believe that for one second....i have not even read up on it and am sure that is probably the best way to transport them to prevent them damaging their wings etc....just because they are in a tight space does not make it inhumane...you are just finding reasons to hate on someone you do not like.

Go see how large animals are transported...legitimately.

Go see how pet owners transport their pets!

Runs 2019-06-25 16:24:02 

In reply to Bigzinc

How about kids in cages?

Or dogs? lol

Ayenmol 2019-06-25 16:27:56 

In reply to Runs

i saw a doc on chicken production from birth, i was stunned by how they are handled...thrown around like oranges asthey are poked prodded and judged to worthiness not a few days after birth...but they are able to deal with it.

Humans are flown around in airplanes whose seats are allowed to be so small they can barely move!

Runs 2019-06-25 16:29:43 

In reply to Ayenmol

lol Hypocrisy, brainwashed by the man some are, I can’t stand the judgemental types who love to take the “perceived” moral high ground.

Bigzinc 2019-06-25 16:29:52 

In reply to Runs

i treat people well. my kid is spoiled and so is my dog is boss.. big grin big grin

ray 2019-06-25 16:30:07 

I agree with Ayenmol

Ayenmol 2019-06-25 16:30:32 

In reply to Bigzinc

When is the last time you travelled with your pets?

Bigzinc 2019-06-25 16:41:19 

In reply to Ayenmol

ask when last i travelled... i take my dog out 4 times a day...

and much much more when i am home

Ayenmol 2019-06-25 16:46:51 

In reply to Bigzinc

steeuuupppss....so you do not go on vacation?

Bigzinc 2019-06-25 16:50:44 

In reply to Ayenmol

i go on vacation

i just dont travel outside a certain area..

but if i do, then i will go to where i can take my pet..

Ayenmol 2019-06-25 17:00:45 

In reply to Bigzinc

Most people understand that animals are animals. They do not put animals above humans. Most people also do not abuse their animals or go out of their way to ensure the animals are always super comfortable...animals in the wild are not super comfortable...

Reasonable people can seperate appropriate treatment from abuse or unnecessary devotion...in fact if not for the unusual devotion to pets some of these issues would not surface....You think your pet, depending where it came from, was not treated in a less than perfact manner befor it came to you?

Have you been to the humane society lately? Do you see how the animals are kept for weeks on end?

Ayenmol 2019-06-25 17:02:23 

In reply to Bigzinc

btw...there are lots of places you can take your pet...just how he is going to be transported, like those finches...

Emir 2019-06-25 17:03:44 

In reply to Bigzinc

Thank you cool

This is very simple, illegal trade of a wild species without regard for anyone, the environment, the danger posed to the bird during transportation in an airplane and the killing of the hen to take her young ones.

And anyone who equates this with eating chicken etc really needs to review their stance.

Runs 2019-06-25 17:05:00 

In reply to Ayenmol

Most people understand that animals are animals. They do not put animals above humans. Most people also do not abuse their animals or go out of their way to ensure the animals are always super comfortable...animals in the wild are not super comfortable...

Reasonable people can seperate appropriate treatment from abuse or unnecessary devotion...in fact if not for the unusual devotion to pets some of these issues would not surface....You think your pet, depending where it came from, was not treated in a less than perfact manner befor it came to you?

So true, I know guys back in GY who would give up gf’s for their birds. Treated very well.

Ayenmol 2019-06-25 17:43:46 

In reply to Emir

The chestnut-bellied seed finch (Oryzoborus angolensis) is a species of bird in the family Thraupidae, but was until recently placed in Emberizidae.

It is found widely in shrubby and grassy areas in tropical and subtropical South America. Commonly known as "Curió" in most of the continent, specially in Brazil. In the Guyanas it is known as "Towa Towa". It has been replaced west of the Andes (and in Central America) by the closely related thick-billed seed finch (O. funereus), in which the male lacks the chestnut belly of the male chestnut-bellied seed-finch. The best singers are from Brazil (chestnut-bellied seed finch - Oryzoborus angolensis), where local breeders have developed breeding techniques which are helping growing population of the bird thus helping to reduce illegal traffic of the species.[citation needed] The two have often been considered conspecific as the lesser seed-finch, using the older scientific name O. angolensis.

Wiki

How do you know for sure how they were caught? Or even if Guyana is their origin?

You are one of the most disengenuous people on this board!

Ayenmol 2019-06-25 18:02:53 

Simple...

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-06-25 22:54:03 

In reply to Ayenmol

Exactly...also agree with jala.

Some people are just quick to cast judement.

As long as they are mot involved in something, they quick to bury those who are, without a thought. It is only when they have a vested interest in an issue that they argue for it even when it is obvious it's negative HUMAN impact!

Singing birds? Notice no one has expressed interest in whether the birds get back to Guyana?

The birds are known for their singing and they are utilizing them for such...the law is that they need to be quarantined, then they will pay the penalty for going afoul of the law!

All this hubub by people who cry about drugs needing to be legal and excuse all sorts of sordid behavior that have been proven to be detrimental to Soceity...they fight for those things...but a man wantin to catch and sell some birds...rot in jail...

Speaking from both sides of you mouth? Again. Raptors! Raptors!

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-06-25 23:00:12 

In reply to Emir

The Indos treat their birds better than you would treat an Indo.

These are called Thoroughbred in Guyana. Cared for like one.

This not cock fighting or dog fighting, or .....seeking ting ah ling from a lady in the night...

Emir 2019-06-26 00:02:50 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

surprised

jala 2019-06-26 02:34:16 

In reply to Runs

The towa towa has the best “rackle “, and you as a bird man, know that ... lol

But the issue is the ability to work the stick/ race ... the towa towa raves are epic bro,,, full of suspense ... smile
But the biggest challenge and money making activity is change a brown / juvenile from young whistle to clean “pee pyow”... that’s where the fun/ money is ... added to that , if the said juveline is good on the stick with another bird, easily $3,000 to $5,000 big grin big grin

Sad part is, these birds should not be smuggled , especially in such large numbers .. but the market for them in the stated is huge

Ayenmol 2019-06-26 02:36:52 

In reply to jala

Why should'shouldn't they be smuggled?

jala 2019-06-26 02:37:45 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

Some indos treat their birds very well
Sadly, many hab become mercenaries, and have placed money over the health and well being of the birds /
It’s pure greed now - when there are money races / bets here in GT , it often
Turns to big quarrels and even gun play- I stay far from it these days ...

And yes, trinis are very big Into the towa towa / bullfinch game too

jala 2019-06-26 02:38:55 

In reply to Ayenmol

Because they are living things too, and out not be subjected to 15 hours of torture ...
Plus, there are ways to legally import the same birds in a far more humane manner

Ayenmol 2019-06-26 02:40:28 

In reply to jala

How are they usually transported?

jala 2019-06-26 02:41:29 

In reply to Ayenmol

In female hair curlers ... taped at the top and button ..

Ayenmol 2019-06-26 02:42:33 

In reply to jala

Legally I mean...

Ayenmol 2019-06-26 02:47:40 

Also, how many hours do they spend in their eggs before hatching? How much space do they have in there?

Ayenmol 2019-06-26 03:04:00 

In reply to jala

So am guessing either you do not know how they are legally transported...or they are transported in the same manner...but here you are claiming this is definitely more inhumane than if done legally.

Not sure why you would make that decision with no knowledge otherwise.

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-06-26 03:26:44 

No Room or air in the Egg.

On the other hand, the hair curler is like a condo in Toronto

Ayenmol 2019-06-26 03:29:17 

Does anyone know how cattle and horses are transported in the US?

How much space they have? How many hours they spend on those trailers when being transported from Florida or California to the Midwest and high Plains?

Ayenmol 2019-06-26 03:37:31 

million dollar racehorses being transported

jala 2019-06-26 08:47:06 

In reply to Ayenmol

They are transported in cages when it’s done legally

jala 2019-06-26 08:48:08 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

You are crazy - a bird has very very little space in a curler .... it’s cruel...

Runs 2019-06-26 09:03:09 

In reply to jala

Ok, they train canaries from young by playing music, what is the lifespan of a towa towa? I caught and owned many of the other species but never owned a towa towa. Firereds, moustaches, ring necks, etc fetch from 300-700 here in the US. Am assuming they are either bred here or imported.

Bigzinc 2019-06-26 13:33:03 

In reply to Runs

Ayenmol just being an asswipe....

Jail them greedy skunts..

They could breed the birds in captivity...

Runs 2019-06-26 13:36:58 

In reply to Bigzinc

Agreed, no need to smuggle

Runs 2019-06-26 21:37:04 

Bravos chime een nah

deanjones 2019-06-26 22:29:01 

In reply to jala

Some indos treat their birds very well

Just like some blacks don't treat their birds well. what kinda racist shit is that.

All animals should be free. We don't qualify or deserve to keep anything in cages for our pleasure.

It's more humane to kill and eat, than have an animal caged all its life.

Runs 2019-06-26 22:38:35 

In reply to deanjones

lol

Cardiac 2019-06-26 22:50:04 

In reply to Runs

I grew up near a cane field. Birding taught me a love for nature, discipline and how to care. It's truly something amazing.
I'd be late and lazy waking up for school during the week, but on Saturday and Sunday, I was up by 5. Showered (sometimes) and dressed with pole stick, a jar of gum (either a big ball of chewing gum accumulated over a period of time or a combination of bread and special tree sap kneaded and preserved) and my trusty Crown Head which was my 1st bird.
Met many friends, learned to imitate many bird calls and caught and released many birds either by seed and trap cage or by pointers covered in special gum. Back home by 7:30 / 8 am.

I had Crown Heads, Ring Necks and Blue Backs.
My brother had Crown Heads and Fire Reds.
My cousin had Towa Towa and Field Canary.

And yea...many men treated these birds better than they would other humans. lol

Runs 2019-06-26 23:07:34 

In reply to Cardiac

Nice, very relatable.

BeatDball 2019-06-26 23:40:07 

The aussie captain is not happy at all at what's going on with these fligging Guyneez!
big grin wink

jala 2019-06-27 04:06:38 

In reply to Runs

5 to about 10 years in the wild and approximately 15 to 26 years domesticated

steveo 2019-06-27 13:51:56 

In reply to Cardiac

And yea...many men treated these birds better than they would other humans

Like a wife, cage they cunt and feed them lol lol

Cardiac 2019-06-27 16:50:41 

In reply to steveo

Daily walks at sunrise and sunset. Invest in baths. Vitamins given for optimum health. Special seeds as treats. Just to name a few. lol