The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

10 things you probably didn't know about Port-of-Spain

sgtdjones 2019-06-25 19:23:11 

10 things you probably didn't know about Port-of-Spain

Port-of-Spain has quite a compelling history, with nuances and facets that we see every day without actually knowing their origins.

Before the Twin Towers, there was Freetown. Before the International Waterfront, there was Puerto d’España, a port kept under wraps from pirates and enemies of the Spanish.

The city of Port-of-Spain is 104 years old and for the month of June, the Port-of-Spain City Corporation will be hosting a number of events to celebrate this anniversary.

To help commemorate, we dug up some pretty interesting facts about the nation's capital. Here are 10 facts about the city you probably didn't know.

10 facts about Port Of Spain

sgtdjones 2019-06-25 19:24:48 

Trinidad bucket list: 10 things to do on the island before you die

There's always something to do in Trinidad.

Here are just a handful of things to do and experience in Trinidad. How many of these have you already crossed off the list?

Trinidad Bucket List

ok one more to go, but dem fergats an Indian wedding , the best food at such.

cool

JayMor 2019-06-26 09:30:19 

In reply to sgtdjones

Coming from tribes including Yoruba, Rada, Mandingo, Ibo, and Krumen, they were brought here, not as slaves, but as free men...

I guess they were interviewed and recruited then, rather than captured, no? LOL.

--Æ.

Emir 2019-06-26 10:28:24 

In reply to JayMor

I guess they were interviewed and recruited then, rather than captured, no? LOL.
big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin

Folks who don't know history keep repeating the myth that Africans in Trinidad did not come as slaves- and I believe this piece of none-sense was written by some European and repeated and taught by Afro-Saxons during the ages.

I guess these folks do not understand context and the use of language.

To be certain, The majority of Africans who came to Trinidad came via different territories- like parts of the USA and other Caribbean Islands- either as slaves or newly "freed slaves" and they were either African born of born into captivity.

Once they arrived in Trinidad, many were not "owned" but they still faced a life akin to slavery. There is no reason to distinguish between African who came to Trinidad with those who were taken to other territories.

Drapsey 2019-06-26 10:41:47 

In reply to Emir

Once they arrived in Trinidad, many were not "owned" but they still faced a life akin to slavery. There is no reason to distinguish between African who came to Trinidad with those who were taken to other territories.

Just another "truth" in the inter-territorial rivalry.

I vividly recall a Bajan posting that their slaves were the pick of the litter because Barbados was the first stop on the cross-Atlantic slave-ship/cruise, and by the time the ship made it's way across the Caribbean only the riff-raffs were left for Jamaica's pickings.

Emir 2019-06-26 11:03:43 

In reply to Drapsey

I vividly recall a Bajan posting that their slaves were the pick of the litter because Barbados was the first stop on the cross-Atlantic slave-ship/cruise, and by the time the ship made it's way across the Caribbean only the riff-raffs were left for Jamaica's pickings.

Exactly, but thus is the legacy of slavery, indenture-ship, colonialism and imperialism.

In my young days, many of my "Indo" Guyanese friends were forceful and boastful in their claim that the British "loved them more" and "considered them as higher" than Blacks and they wore this as a badge of honor.

Another example is when those Afro Saxon teachers from the 30's onward taught us that the British were better than the Spaniards so there "we" are lucky for the British as they "gave" us democracy and education.

Headley 2019-06-26 20:25:43 

In reply to Abercromby Street Sarge

4. The 'jamette society' originated in Port in Spain

At one point, the streets of east Port-of-Spain were known as the ‘French Shores’, and those who inhabited them were known as jamettes (from French ‘diamètre’). The term referred to those outside the circle (the ‘diameter’) of polite society. In the eyes of the colonial government, the jamette society was outrageous, vulgar and obscene.

Abercromby Street Sarge why yuh spreading false rumours about my people. All all yuh upper class folks are always putting yuh nose in poor people business and giving it some convoluted explanation. lol lol lol

What is this pooh, pooh, explanation! Nonsense about outside the circle.

Everybody knows the term 'Diametre' (jamette in T&T) refers to 'being below the diametre of social propriety'.

sgtdjones 2019-06-27 00:42:12 

In reply to Headley

Ok, ok, ah gats ya

Next time, will include Charlotte street as inside the circle.

razz razz razz razz

Headley 2019-06-27 17:29:13 

In reply to sgtdjones

The folks from Charlotte St. know about these things and can call plenty big up names too. lol lol lol

I will check if your name down there. lol lol lol

Norm 2019-06-28 18:30:13 

In reply to sgtdjones

Thanks to all, for the lead post and comments.

Very interesting and educational.