The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

No Coco Gauff Fans Yet?

Headley 2019-06-28 03:26:19 

Cori “Coco” Gauff isn’t old enough to drive a car, but don’t let her age fool you, she’s well on her way to becoming tennis’ next star.

At 15 years and 122 days, Gauff knocked out 21-year-old Greet Minnen of Belgium to qualify for Wimbledon, making her the youngest player to do so in the Open era.

Link Text

Headley 2019-07-02 15:30:10 

Ok maybe now is the time. lol lol lol

We like to get on board when there is company. lol lol lol

JahJah 2019-07-02 15:36:15 

In reply to Headley

present.

DanDeKitten, KKKhaga and Devilyn already signed up for the hate club. big grin

SteveO still on di fence.

Chrissy 2019-07-02 15:41:59 

In reply to Headley

Love her but my worry is that the parents are pushing her too early. Burn out and injuries usually follow these very young pros.

I wish they had followed the Williams model - they demonstrated longevity.
She's clearly talented but I maintain 15 is too early for this level of tennis.

ray 2019-07-02 15:54:52 

I aint know yet...remember Capriati

black 2019-07-02 16:03:10 

In reply to Chrissy

I don't know if I agree, that is the age girls usually get started.

mikesiva 2019-07-02 16:39:52 

In reply to black

Some girls who experience success early can burn out. Like Tracy Austin and Martina Hingis.

However, there is a new rule that only allows players her age to play six or seven tournaments for the year. Hopefully, that will protect her.

I missed the Venus match. So, I am yet to see her play.

Headley 2019-07-02 17:07:27 

In reply to JahJah

Leave it alone bro. big grin

Headley 2019-07-02 17:10:40 

In reply to Chrissy

Nowadays with the right training methods (including ice baths) and rest, athletes can get away with much more than in the past. Mental burnout could be a bigger issue. Why does she want it?

Trinidave 2019-07-02 17:44:32 

In reply to Chrissy

She's clearly talented but I maintain 15 is too early for this level of tennis.

Time and time again, we've seen prodigies flame out.

Hope they hold her back a little.

We'll see.

black 2019-07-02 18:09:21 

In reply to mikesiva

Some girls who experience success early can burn out. Like Tracy Austin and Martina Hingis

I think Hingis had some family issues going on. Jennifer Capriati had issues too but I'm not sure if it was not just teenage rebellion.

steveo 2019-07-02 18:45:42 

In reply to JahJah

SteveO still on di fence.

Wait is she black?

why didnt u say so in the first place

You know I have to hate now lol lol

dayne 2019-07-03 01:01:26 

If she does not win her next match the win against Venus will be devalued, it might mean that Venus just had a bad match

nitro 2019-07-03 01:17:08 

In reply to Headley

I am on board.

Drapsey 2019-07-03 10:03:11 

In reply to JahJah

DanDeKitten, KKKhaga and Devilyn already signed up for the hate club.

I wonder who that might be.

mikesiva 2019-07-03 10:38:07 

In reply to black

Reasons to be cautious.

Before Gauff, who was the last 15 year old to play at Wimbledon?

Laura Robson.

Where is she now?

Gauff needs to be well managed. She's plays later today.

Headley 2019-07-03 10:40:57 

In reply to mikesiva

Laura who? Point taken.

mikesiva 2019-07-03 20:16:21 

In reply to Headley

I just watched Gauff for the first time...wow, she brought back memories of a young Venus, the way she covered the court, her shots, everything!

Love the way she dismantled Rybarikova....

Casper 2019-07-03 20:24:12 

Yes, I had to get up and watch this budding star. It’s 3.22 am, my time, I can go back to bed, pretty satisfied with that wonderful display.

mikesiva 2019-07-03 21:02:39 

In reply to Casper

3:22 am? Where do you live? Hawaii?

imusic 2019-07-03 22:02:01 

FAA in da house! lol

Priapus 2019-07-03 22:11:36 

In reply to mikesiva

Its always 3:22 a.m. in Tiger Bay. Time has stood still over there.

Chrissy 2019-07-03 22:21:07 

In reply to imusic

lol lol

Chrissy 2019-07-03 22:21:43 

In reply to mikesiva

Looks like Venus but with Serena's serve.

Ewart 2019-07-03 23:14:12 

In reply to Chrissy

It seem,s to me that with this lithe, easy-moving, youthful replica emerging, Vanus can retire happy that her legacy is in good hands.

To say that I am impressed is not to say anything at all. I just see Venus... 25 years ago. And I am happy.

big grin big grin big grin big grin

//

Headley 2019-07-03 23:33:51 

In reply to mikesiva

Yes she has all the shots, very much a young Venus. She bends her knees much more than Venus ever did when she plays the backhand shots. That gives her more control and lots more power as she plays the shot coming up. Could be Venus 2.1.

Chrissy 2019-07-03 23:41:00 

In reply to Ewart

I see Venus with Serena's serve.

Bro my two childhood friends and I agree - we can move on smiling- there is continuity lol lol

Casper 2019-07-04 06:31:48 

In reply to mikesiva

No, not Hawaii. But, I am taking some South Asia countries off my bucket list.

Currently in Hanoi, Vietnam. Visited the Hanoi “Hilton” two days ago,

Today, I am getting some side effects of Typhoon Mun, which is threatening my plan visit to the Museum of Vietnamese History and the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum.

Chrissy 2019-07-04 10:14:08 

Good read

Women’s tennis has a new child prodigy. Fifteen-year-old Cori “Coco” Gauff won her first two Grand Slam wins at Wimbledon this week, with a bold serve and a poise that belies her age. Gauff beat Magdaléna Rybáriková on Wednesday in the second round after a Monday debut that saw her thump Venus Williams, a 39-year-old who won her first Wimbledon in 2000 — four years before Gauff was born.

“I think the sky’s the limit,” Williams said about Gauff.

The question is, how much should we expect from Gauff’s future because of her Slam debut? The prospects are quite good. In the women’s Open era,1 just 26 previous players under the age of 16 had won at least one match in their first Grand Slams. Nine of those players ended up winning major titles, led by Steffi Graf, who made her Grand Slam debut at the 1983 French Open just before she turned 14. Graf beat fellow qualifier Carina Karlsson in her first match before losing in the second round, but that was just a small taste of what was to come: She would go on to enjoy one of the most decorated careers in tennis history, winning 22 Slams and 107 events all together.

Jennifer Capriati and Monica Seles made even splashier debuts at Roland Garros a few years later. Both players would reach the semifinals in their first Slam appearances, and both were yet to turn 16. (Capriati was 14, Seles 15.) Perhaps fittingly, it was Graf who ended Seles’s debut run in 1989, while it was Seles who ended Capriati’s the following year. Capriati would have to wait more than a decade to capture the first of her three majors, but Seles was an immediate sensation. She likely would have won more majors, too, if she had not been stabbed during a tennis match in Germany in 1993. (Seles won nine majors in all, but eight of them came before the attack.)

Among the 26 players who won their first Slam match before turning 16, six would go on to become No. 1 in the world: Martina Hingis, Arantxa Sánchez Vicario and Tracy Austin — in addition to Graf, Seles, and Capriati.

nitro 2019-07-05 10:58:38 

Coco been getting her groove on it appears. I hope the media do not destroy this super talented girl.

Headley 2019-07-05 21:00:57 

Meanwhile, into the round of 16 after disposing of
Polona Hercog of Slovenia.

"We've been working on her poise all year," Gauff's father, Corey, said earlier in the week. "After that comes together, then you really can improve your game, because when you're poised, you're not that emotional. You can troubleshoot."

Link Text

Headley 2019-07-05 21:41:21 

Check out the action at the Sports Bar in Delray.

Headley 2019-07-05 22:17:18 

Cocoa made my point - interview skill important

Some people do not have the awareness to realise they are born lucky - even when they have a silver hoof in their mouth.

Chrissy 2019-07-05 23:24:09 

In reply to Headley

Let me tell you a story about a young man I know.
This kid was part of our community football club and U14 team - we had a homework programme for our kids right in our park.
This one kid came to me and said Auntie Chris I can't join the class because I can't read.

Given my access to colleagues, we had him tested for dyslexia, etc and really started a conversation with him. Turns out that at primary school the coach discovered he could kick with both feet. The school didn't give a $hit about his education after that and his folks were not even aware or capable of being aware.
I took over and started his entire education from scratch. In less than a year he was in the regular class for our players.
He's a big man now, living in foreign - he never comes home without visiting us. He still doesn't watch TV - he loves books - he has a good job and two of his kids are in college. I know them all - and wifey too.

It is not always the kid who is at fault. The entire environment matters.

Headley 2019-07-05 23:45:52 

In reply to Chrissy

Thanks for sharing. I must admit it upsets me when some folks with parents who made it into the middle class but with piss poor grandparents fail to realise how lucky they are. Except for a lucky break or the industriousness of their grandparents or parents they could easily have spent their youth focused on finding food to eat.

The year before I went to high school I was in the company of 2 classmates at lunchtime and we spent about 30 minutes talking and walking around the town. I asked them when would we stop to buy something to eat and they did not reply.

About 10 minutes before class resumed they pulled some dry biscuits and pieces of cheese from their pockets. I learned how privileged I was that day.

Chrissy 2019-07-06 00:04:37 

In reply to Headley

The sister after me just had a great holiday with her hubby in Bim.
She said they were sitting on the beach one morning when she asked him how come they were so lucky. She asked me the same question and I told her our grandparents believed in education and got some lucky breaks. Many want education but don't know where to even find a real meal (as your example demonstrates). It's why I don't suffer fools or licky licky peeps gladly. wink

powen001 2019-07-06 01:45:52 

In reply to Headley

she reminds me so much of Venus its uncanny.

She is easy to support!

She has already rocked the Tennis World...look out!!

powen001 2019-07-06 01:47:59 

In reply to Chrissy

I

took over and started his entire education from scratch. In less than a year he was in the regular class for our players.
He's a big man now, living in foreign - he never comes home without visiting us. He still doesn't watch TV - he loves books - he has a good job and two of his kids are in college. I know them all - and wifey too.

Brilliant!!

Headley 2019-07-06 02:26:51 

In reply to powen001

Early days yet but she seems to have a better all round game than Venus. I always felt Venus' backhand and serve were inconsistent. When Venus got it right especially on a fast surface she was a terror. Looking forward to seeing how much Coco wants it.

Chrissy 2019-07-06 14:28:42 

In reply to Headley

Closer to Serena's serve but she looks a lot like V

Chrissy 2019-07-06 14:29:56 

In reply to powen001

They will soon turn on her - trust them at your peril