The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Jamaica legalize Obea?

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-07-01 00:42:49 

Link Text

granite 2019-07-01 09:39:39 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan
I tort we in Trinidad was the Obeah capital of the Caribbean.

lol lol lol

Larr Pullo 2019-07-01 10:26:20 

Wow...just wow...

Walco 2019-07-01 10:54:06 

In reply to granite

Legalizing obeah in Jamaica in Jamaica is like legalizing ganja. Obeah is so widespread in Jamaica and such a fabric of society that it not uncommon for Jamaicans to say that someone "obeah" them after encountering problems or bad luck.

Love that Holy Ghost woman in the video smile

Drapsey 2019-07-01 11:02:06 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

That's Pochomania (sp), nothing to do with Obeah.

camos 2019-07-01 11:08:41 

In reply to Drapsey

lot of people lump the two,Obeah is money making fraud.

DAVE400 2019-07-01 12:47:18 

Should never have been illegal in first place

granite 2019-07-01 13:03:46 

In reply to Walco
My mudder always cussing meh fadda because of his belief in Obeah,me cyah forget dat.

camos 2019-07-01 13:24:38 

In reply to DAVE400

Should never have been illegal in first place

Obeah is a con game! rolleyes

granite 2019-07-01 13:42:01 

In reply to camos
I honestly think so,Obeah was an invented magic system which started with the freed slaves in New Orleans,it is a money making con,as I said before my father believed in it.My father was an intelligent man who was brought up in the town with good schooling and good jobs.

camos 2019-07-01 14:12:01 

In reply to granite

I grew up in rural Jamaica and lived in various places, the local Obeahman always has clients from out of town because the locals know he is a fraud.

black 2019-07-01 14:26:21 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

All religion is a form of Obeah. lol

DAVE400 2019-07-01 14:50:39 

In reply to camos

Which religion isn't?

camos 2019-07-01 15:03:41 

In reply to DAVE400

Obeah as practiced in Jamaica is not a religion,but a straight up con game,where people take your money and promise to do deeds they can't.

DAVE400 2019-07-01 15:34:51 

In reply to camos

The right to practice you belief is what important here. Treat the cons separately...baby. bathwater.

DAVE400 2019-07-01 15:35:49 

Can you buy Bitcoin in Jamaica?

And doesn't grace Kennedy have fx "trading"?

nick2020 2019-07-01 16:53:53 

In reply to camos

where people take your money and promise to do deeds they can't.

I think the argument is no religion delivers on the promise of Salvation.

Walco 2019-07-01 18:36:20 

In reply to granite
I know big doctors and lawyers in Jamaica who believe in obeah and duppy smile That thing is such a racket that someone who believes someone "oheah" them will go to another obeahman to reverse the "obeah." Obeahmen in Jamaica sell all kinda jewelry and pendants to their clients as protective shields smile

granite 2019-07-01 19:14:42 

In reply to camos
I remember as a boy a friend of my mother lost an expensive gold bracelet and she suspected a close family,she came and asked my father if he knows an Obeah man who could help find the culprit.I remember that much,don't know if he did help her find one.

Toney 2019-07-01 21:25:10 

In reply to camos

I grew up in rural Jamaica and lived in various places, the local Obeahman always has clients from out of town because the locals know he is a fraud.

Me too. In rural Jamaica,Hanover to be specific, where I grew up, our local Obeahman lived quite afluently but not off the locals. Not because the locals thought he was a fraud, but because they believed that better Obeah was obtainable some where else.

Toney 2019-07-01 21:43:39 

In reply to camos

Me too. In rural Jamaica,Hanover to be specific, where I grew up our local Obeaman lived quite afluently but not off the locals. Not because the locals thought he was a fraud, but because they believed that better Obea was obtainable some where else.

BTW, did you know that the Obeahman had to disguise practicing his art/science because if caught by Babylon he would be arrested tried and if found guilty sent to prison as well as some licks from the Cat-o-nine tail? lol lol

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-07-01 22:08:52 

Once a friend and I had to find and feed a black dog some stuff from an Obeahman.
His brother was messing with a lady almost twice his age so his mother got the "cure" from the OM.
The stuff was mixed in pancakes.

The black dog took one sniff and took off running like a bat out of hell. big grin

JayMor 2019-07-01 22:23:31 

In reply to Toney

In rural Jamaica, Hanover to be specific, where I grew up...

Tops was Madda Penny over in Green Is., no true?

--Æ.

camos 2019-07-02 00:33:21 

In reply to Toney

In Trelawny,good Obeahmen were in St Mary or St Thomas!
lol

mikesiva 2019-07-02 07:27:36 

Let's not forget that in the 18th century, Christianity was used to support and justify white people keeping black people in slavery (the story of Ham, etc). Obeah was used by resistance fighters, such as Tacky in 1760, to provide religious justification for rebellion against oppression.

The obeah we talk about now is just one vestige of that West African survival.

The history of obeah

Obeah was banned by the white colonial authorities when they realised that it could be used to unite slaves in rebellion against them. For this legacy alone, it should be de-criminalised....

Nanny and other Maroon leaders used obeah to give Maroon warriors the courage to fight against colonial militias. When the Maroons converted to Christianity at the start of the nineteenth century, the word "obeah" became taboo, and the Maroons then spoke of "science". But it was in essence the same thing.

Obeah also embodied a number of West African healing traditions. In the 18th century, European medicine was still quite backward. European doctors prescribed leeches and the bleeding of patients to cure ailments, and more often than not killed them quicker! The obeah tradition involved the practice of hygiene and the use of herbs to cure the sick and wounded. This led to the tradition of "doctresses", including Cubah Cornwallis, Sarah Adams and Mrs Grant in the 18th century, and Mrs Grant's daughter, Mary Seacole, in the 19th. These doctresses practised hygiene long before Florence Nightingale came up with the brilliant idea in 1859, curiously after meeting the Seacole she despised so much!

And these doctresses had a much better success rate than European doctors at the time....

Obeah inspired rebellion, and so was made illegal, but Myal had a spiritual basis, and when it merged with Native Baptist traditions, it was encouraged, simply because it didn't preach rebellion, as obeah-men often did. The Myal-Native Baptist tradition later led to Pocomania, Revival churches, and heavily influenced the Pentecostal tradition that emerged in Jamaica in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

What we call obeah now is just a small fraction of the role obeah played in our history....

DukeStreet 2019-07-02 08:12:58 

In reply to mikesiva
Was the practice of Bible and Key (Called "Book and Key" in Guyana) part of the obeah ritual that anyone can learn to do? It seems that the older people knew quite a bit about these things?

granite 2019-07-02 20:09:36 

In reply to DukeStreet

I saw my uncle and and a friend doing that Bible and Key stuff,I don't know what and why they were doing it,I only remembered when I saw your post.Seems like I had a lot of Obeah men in my family. lol

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-07-02 21:46:36 

In reply to DukeStreet

By st peter, by saint paul.

I witness the book turned