The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Tennis:Youngest Women about to take down oldest

Casper 2019-07-01 18:09:41 

In Cori Gauff, Venus Williams looks across the net and sees a mirror image of herself over 20 years ago about to take out a veteran.

The End of An Era. Time waits for neither man nor woman.

Casper 2019-07-01 18:25:54 

Down goes the old Wimbledon Queen 6-4, 6–4.

This could very well be the last we see of Venus at Wimbledon.

Chrissy 2019-07-01 18:35:07 

In reply to Casper

Yep - that lil Coco can play

Ewart 2019-07-01 18:36:06 

In reply to Casper

End of An Era.

... and the beginning of another!

//

Chrissy 2019-07-01 18:47:08 

In reply to Ewart

Absolutely - she can play lol

I wouldn't be here if not for Venus and Serena - got to like her.

FuzzyWuzzy 2019-07-01 19:54:10 

In reply to Chrissy

And she knows how to pay homage too...? wink

culpepperboy 2019-07-01 19:58:27 

Dat coco tea, is a poison to me...

Chrissy 2019-07-01 20:52:31 

In reply to Casper

15-year-old Cori Gauff just defeated one of her tennis idols, Venus Williams, in straight sets during a Monday first-round match at Wimbledon.

She defeated the No. 44 player in the world in straight sets, 6-4 6-4.

Gauff, who goes by “Coco,” is the youngest player to qualify for Wimbledon. She’s also the youngest woman to win a Wimbledon match since 1991, according to ESPN.

“This is the first time I ever cried after winning a match,” Gauff told the BBC after her win. “I never thought this would happen. I don’t know how to explain it. I’m literally living my dream. Not many people get to say that.”

Who is Cori Gauff?
Gauff’s record-breaking career has already earned her an international following. She’s adding youngest Wimbledon qualifier to a list of other youngest-ever’s — at 13, she was the youngest to reach the U.S. Open girl’s final and at age 15, she was the youngest female to win in a qualifying match in the French Open. Her tennis career began at age eight and she ranks No. 313 in the world.
here

Chrissy 2019-07-01 20:55:28 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

The female Felix in terms of potential, but even younger

dayne 2019-07-01 21:04:47 

It is a message to Venus, time to look for a new profession, it's no place for forty years old women

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-07-01 21:59:30 

Williams Crack sniffer posting excuses.

The people around Coco should advice her to not to tie her Career to the Williams.

They are selfish! Ask the Japanese Girl.

Casper 2019-07-02 02:06:59 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

The Williams Haters live on forever. Like Chameleons they change to suit their natural environment of hatred for “others” but most often the black “others”.

They are conditioned that way. They were here before Trump and will be here after a Trump, only that he has given them more leeway to express their hatred, as he uses the bully pulpit of the presidency to extol it.

I know the Williams haters from way back when they first started, when they used a similar forum such as CC.com to voice their hatred. It was the ESPN tennis forum.

Ask Commie about it. It was a beehive of pure hatred for the Sisters and anyone who dared to support them. We were known then as Venuts - people nutty enough to even to support this young black female “from the ‘hood”, who dared to come on the tennis scene to upset, and seek to dominate, the daintiness of its white environs. First Venus and then the younger Sis, Serena, who we were being told would even be better.

As Venus looks to exit the scene, the hatred remains.

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-07-02 04:11:23 

In reply to Casper

It is called keeping them honest, like you do with Trump

Maybe the dislike the Williams sisters in the media is because they have horrible personalities (despite however good they are on the courts). Serena played well in her last few matches, but neither she nor her older sister EVER give the opposing player ANY credit.(hijack the Japanese moment!! remember) If either loses, you will hear a stream of excuses.
"I wasnt playing my best."
"I wasnt on top of my game"
"If I was playing just 10% better I would have won."
Not once have I heard from either of them "She played really well" after a loss. If they would just give some credit and not be such egotistical people I would have much more respect for them.

Cut the race and hood shit! You are the architect of your legacy.

They are the LARA of Tennis.(Shit on West Indies Cricket to blight-hood)

number09 2019-07-02 15:28:58 

It's 2-3 yrs past Venus's time.
She my girl but she has to call it quits.

JahJah 2019-07-02 15:35:07 

In reply to Dan_De_BlindBat

Maybe the dislike the Williams sisters in the media is because they have horrible personalities (despite however good they are on the courts).

Yet had so much love they had for Jennifer Crackiati and Martina Cringe-is.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that.

Atl_View 2019-07-02 15:50:49 

venus and Universe Boss both have a Medicare Services meeting scheduled.
big grin big grin big grin

Ayenmol 2019-07-02 16:39:51 

The only time I have ever seen Serena play well and get beaten is vs Sharapova in the game of Sharapova's life.

When these two women played up to their potential, no one could beat them.

They knew that! They are competitors...they still did respect their opponents generally.

In the end though, Serena acted like a jerk to the Japanese girl.

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-07-02 17:36:20 

In reply to JahJah

Just wish she is not patterning herself like Sirena...is fruit picking season over in southern ontario

JahJah 2019-07-02 18:29:03 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

is fruit picking season over in southern ontario

Have fun with it.

Be sure to wear your sunscreen.