The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Cameron disappointed with Skerritt's changes

CaribbeanCricket.com 2019-07-05 21:37:09 

For­mer pres­i­dent of Crick­et West In­dies (CWI) Dave Cameron said that the changes made by the cur­rent board to the man­age­ment of the West In­dies team were not ben­e­fi­cial.

The West In­dies is now of­fi­cial­ly out of the 2019 ICC World Cup with two match­es to play. The team has lost five of their sev­en match­es to date, with a record that com­pris­es one win, and one end­ed in a no-re­sult.

Cameron in an ex­clu­sive in­ter­view with Guardian Me­dia Sports said: "I am dis­ap­point­ed with the re­sults and mak­ing the changes to the man­age­ment set up were not ben­e­fi­cial."

Read more at the Trinidad Guardian 

Full Story

Fantom 2019-07-05 23:16:22 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

I don't care what or whether the criticism is justified or not. An immediate past president should give the new president a little room to breathe and operate.

Cameron, go sit in a corner and be quiet, please!!!!

FuzzyWuzzy 2019-07-06 00:23:29 

In reply to Fantom

don't care what or whether the criticism is justified or not

Oh? Justified criticism must be withheld? For how long? Suppose it is over something life threatening? Not even then?

I would agree that unjustified criticism is not encouraged

Chrissy 2019-07-06 00:43:03 

In reply to Fantom

Ditto. Cameron created dis mess.
What was our ODI ranking when he took ever?

Fantom 2019-07-06 01:05:35 

In reply to Chrissy & FuzzyWuzzy

I hold no brief for Skerritt and his team. I did not even read the article.

Skerritt has been president for what six weeks. Give him a little time to implement whatever changes he thinks are necessary. There is time enough for Cameron to campaign to be president again.

In fact, I have a proposal for Skerritt that, along with other things, can help to improve the PCL. It is is really quite simple and I will try to post it this weekend.

sunfish 2019-07-06 01:23:28 

In reply to Fantom

How many people are going to whisper in Skerritt's ear and whom will/should he listen to? Is his mind open to 'proposals' from the outside or should he just follow his close advisers? It's hard to heed the correct advise in a complex organization.

I think Skerritt treaded wrongly when he fired Pybus, a winning coach. Was that decision knee jerk? or based on others 'whispering' in his ear? or just trying to show he's top dog? or a result of faulty analysis?

JOJO 2019-07-06 01:42:57 

In reply to sunfish

Was that decision knee jerk? or based on others 'whispering' in his ear? or just trying to show he's top dog? or a result of faulty analysis?

It was small-island politics and playing to the “crowd”. There was no predictable upside to this decision, in terms of the players and preparation for WC.

dayne 2019-07-06 01:47:50 

In reply to Fantom

Well said, Skerritt should be given time before he is criticized, the WC team and its results were a reflection of mostly Cameron's reign. The only critique could be Skerritt should not have fired the previous coaches so close to the WC.

nitro 2019-07-06 12:15:51 

In reply to dayne

The only critique could be Skerritt should not have fired the previous coaches so close to the WC.

That was a stupid move and cannot just be acknowledged in a simplistic manner as the only critique.

The team obviously performed better in a series versus England prior to the World Cup. Leadership is critical to team performance, even for a poor bunch of players.

RonaldM 2019-07-06 12:55:38 

Change for change sake in such a high stakes event is plain wrong!! Why fire the coaches 5 weeks before the most prestigious cricket tournament, that comes around every 4 years? Who decided to take injured players that did not represent Windies , nor played the odi format in months/years?? I am not defending Cameron, but where is the common sense Skerritt??

natty_forever 2019-07-06 12:59:44 

Pybus would not have played Russell. He would have played Paul.
You think Russell never played a game against England because he didnt want to. Py not playing no injured man. And had superior knowledge of the opposition and would have had us playing tactically better cricket, as I saw against England. Sad!

LBW375 2019-07-06 13:17:12 

In reply to natty_forever

Well said

Trinidave 2019-07-06 17:28:46 

Cameron MC!

dclar301 2019-07-06 19:28:01 

In reply to nitro

Stop talking nonsense. We won two ODI's against England. Yes, TWO matches.and you calling Pybus a great coach. What happen in the 20/20? We got our arses cut right left and center. Pybus was no help. GAYLE won us 2 ODI as he played out of his skin the whole tournament. He did not play the 20/20 and we got our arses cut. We played the world cup to our ranking, no coach would have made a difference

pom 2019-07-06 19:28:51 

In reply to nitro

Yea that was stupid firing pybus and the entire selection panel right before a major tornament.Browne should have been fired but a couple of the selectors should have been kept. lol

bobby 2019-07-06 21:32:05 

We continue to allow crooks to get away freely in the Caribbean so that they can continue to undermine and disrupt. We do the same with crooked politicians.
Dave Cameron amd members of his cabal should be in jail and the current Board should employ forensic auditors to ensure this happens.

Mr-Anguilla 2019-07-06 21:40:55 

West Indies were being beating in White Ball Cricket under Cameron just the same. We need to work on bowling the white ball and fielding...

Courtesy 2019-07-07 00:12:19 

hahahahahahahaha!!!!

Fellas responding to themselves under different monikers. This place is a riot.

lol lol lol

Cleg 2019-07-07 00:17:38 

In reply to Fantom

Cameron, go sit in a corner and be quiet, please!!!!

NUFF SAID!!!
lol lol

FuzzyWuzzy 2019-07-07 00:39:10 

In reply to Cleg

Long time no see mr 335?

uton 2019-07-07 01:35:01 

In reply to pom

Yea that was stupid firing Pybus and the entire selection panel right before a major tornament

WI exceeded expectations in the WC. Given their ODI ranking, beating Pakistan was a welcome surprise. I am puzzled why the selection of a new coach is viewed negatively when WI had to qualify along with Afghanistan to get a seat at the table.

Real-cricket 2019-07-07 14:58:18 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

The selection panel and coach were going to play?

Kay 2019-07-07 15:14:58 

In reply to Fantom

Skerritt has been president for what six weeks. Give him a little time to implement whatever changes he thinks are necessary.

This is the same reason why the cricket on the field is also in a mess. We hire a set of greenhorns and then hope they would get better by being given time to get their footing. Why not identify and hire people who are ready for the job instead of voting in those that need time to get going?

This has been the default MO for the past 3 or 4 decades and no one seem to have a problem with it ...

Domic 2019-07-07 15:37:51 

In reply to dclar301

big grin

Gayle has never won us anything. He has made some runs but has never been consistant and therefore should not have been in the team. West Indies said they brought in experience but in my experience when what you consider to be experince isn't making a difference I say give youth a chance.

With good guidance we could have done a hell of alot better than we did in this World Cup. I said it before and i will say it again in a team you need a unit not individual members which is what we had. Nurse played in a few game and Allen who appears to be a better batsman and dear I say spinner only got an opportunity late in the tourn. We carried an opener who cannot run in between the wickets in the hope that the fact he has given himself a self proclaimed title would be able to hit sixes galore or was it becuase he is crowd puller for the one time his game my come off.

We then brought a player who i like but hasn't played for over 2years, wow if this new management are our future it looks pretty grim.

Players at night reportedly out on the town in what should have been the pinnacle of their career. Not understanding the displine required at this level. As a matter of fact on player had his birthday went out the night before and culd not play the following day. That player as good as he is should have been sent home.

Others who consider themselves to be so necessary can make decision as to wether or not they carry on playing for West Indies even after they failed to make the top 12 batsmen in the tournament. What a laughing stock we have become. I do hope that we can say thank you to some of these players as it is time to pack up. I wonder if some sort of nepotism is in play why one can make those decisions so positively after such a poor display in the world cup.

I travelled all over the UK giving up my vacation and money to see really only 2 good things in the cup. Nicholas Pooran and Hetmyer. I am however concerned if they continue to have some of these old guard around they will pick up bad habits.

To end Mr Skerritt I am so far not convinced by anything you have done. And if that is your way of showing how care for West Indies cricket then not even God can help us.