The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Guyana Exxon Rip Off Deal

Runs 2019-07-07 13:15:36 

Trotman signed without reading lol now blaming others

Link Text

Runs 2019-07-07 13:34:54 

Came by some family in Queens last night, it is embarrassing to hear the loud music that these Indo Guyanese villagers play late into the nights, no consideration for their neighbors. Damn disgraceful. evil
From Monday to Sunday it does not matter. Life pun d dam.

camos 2019-07-07 13:58:20 

In reply to Runs

Caribbean politicians are famous for taking personal bribes at the expense of the country. there should be some provision for renegotiation.

Emir 2019-07-07 14:13:28 

In reply to Runs

Came by some family in Queens last night, it is embarrassing to hear the loud music that these Indo Guyanese villagers play late into the nights, no consideration for their neighbors. Damn disgraceful. evil
From Monday to Sunday it does not matter. Life pun d dam.

I commend you for admitting this.

Let me just tell the NYC Board of Education is quite concern about the sub culture that is rapidly developing among a group consisting of first generation Guyanese of South Asian Heritage(Do Not Use The Term Indo) and also many from Trinidad as well.

The danger of this sub-culture is not only what you identify but the failure to assimilate into the broader society which leads to stagnation of social and economic mobility, insularity and alienation. No other group has this problem- Not the first generation born South Asians, East Asians, Mid Easterners etc.

Runs 2019-07-07 15:36:21 

In reply to Emir

Admitting ?I was born and raised in Georgetown sir, I am not accustomed to such, quiet and peaceful. wink
Rum and loud music and cheap chicken culture they pursue in USA.

dayne 2019-07-08 01:04:17 

In reply to Runs

In regards to Trotman these are the irresponsible people who prevent poor countries from progressing, This has to be the biggest contract in Guyana's history and either a proper review was not done or he was paid to look the other way

Runs 2019-07-08 02:04:17 

In reply to dayne

Cannot believe they did not hire experts to help them, they seem to know many in Houston, why not contract a top tier lawfirm and Consultants?

jcveletta 2019-07-08 02:21:04 

In reply to Emir and Runs

What is your take on the Chuntney shows they have in Toronot and New York? Are these artists representing the culture?

Emir 2019-07-08 02:52:11 

In reply to jcveletta

No.

And what culture will that be?

Runs 2019-07-08 03:00:36 

In reply to jcveletta

No idea, guess it is Indo village culture? More popular in rural areas in my opinion.
Not really popular in GT, at least in my time, reggae, soca and US pop were what we listened to with a bit of Bollywood. Chutney was not popular in the night clubs.
Popular in the village rhumshops, personally I think it is garbage with a message of alcohol abuse and vulgarity.

jcveletta 2019-07-08 03:09:12 

In reply to Runs

I am not a fan of this chutney music. I stand to be corrected, but, it seems as if these shows are all over the place in T-Dot and Old York with good turnout.

Runs 2019-07-08 03:12:15 

In reply to jcveletta

Yes, it is popular rum culture crap, lyrics are sheer nonsense. Yankarran brothers are good and older guys were like Sundar Popo and Chaitoe but the young fellas are into alcoholism, sex and vulgarity.
Sadly that stuff attracts some humans don’t ask me why.

jcveletta 2019-07-08 03:15:40 

In reply to Runs

i understand your position. i was just astound to see the following and how the representations.

maj 2019-07-08 03:41:22 

In reply to Runs

Thank God this does not happen by me, Dickblasio has reduced the NYPDs ability to take away the systems that these idiots use, because of lawsuits against the city. The cops hardly write summonses for these assholes.

Basically it's a free for all under this Dicks administration.

Emir 2019-07-08 10:31:09 

In reply to jcveletta

i was just astound to see the following and how the representations.

But you make it seems like this Chutney genre is new, in fact it became popular into the 1990's and it followed immigrants to North America.

A significant percentage of chutney songs are really devotional Hindu songs or Bhajanas that were remixed and spiced up with fast beats. Another large percentage includes actual folk songs from Easter Utter Pradesh and Bihar that were also remixed.

Runs 2019-07-08 10:34:40 

In reply to maj

And the young guys in their cars blasts at unsafe decibels, seems like a race amongst them on who can blow out their eardrums the fastest. Damn idiots.

maj 2019-07-08 13:33:55 

In reply to Runs

That and the cars with no exhaust. Quality of life crimes are now deemed racist.

Exactly why I hate Dickblasio, he nothing for the middle class, all about the parasites and supposedly underserved.

ray 2019-07-08 13:37:31 

ayuh sound like dem old people who does complain bout dem youths lol lol lol lol

joke aside...the loud music late at night is a problem

uton 2019-07-08 15:20:36 

In reply to Runs

Yes, it is popular rum culture crap, lyrics are sheer nonsense. Yankarran brothers are good and older guys were like Sundar Popo and Chaitoe but the young fellas are into alcoholism, sex and vulgarity.
Sadly that stuff attracts some humans don’t ask me why.

I guess " Rum is meh lover" by Ravi B, is not on your playlist.

Runs 2019-07-08 15:52:36 

In reply to uton

Will never be, do you know how much suffering alcohol abuse causes in the Indo Caribbean societies? I know of many suicides and broken families. Irresponsible Artistes am sorry, even as a youngman I did not do. cool
I know the music is popular and have lots of fans and I will be labeled for criticizing it, but, we can do better.
Conscious lyrics with good messages guys, come on. cool

Runs 2019-07-08 15:55:11 

In reply to ray

No other ethnicity does this, am sorry it paints us in a bad light. Rum and loud music culture. lol
I gun gafo do like VS Naipaul and separate myself from ya’all. lol

goofballs 2019-07-08 16:45:17 

Mixing up oil, music, culture, corruption and wanting people assimilate into a a Western culture up North is an interesting mix.
However, I think there is a lot of bullshit being expressed here based on generalizations, chip on shoulder, denial or not knowing facts.

Disclosures:
Firstly, I don't like loud music, ignorant, loud people (opinion or voice), "that soca shit" but do crave roti, curry, metajee, bake and salt fish,etc. (which I do not see often enough).

Runs, loud music was part of Guyana's culture way before I had sense and I had sense way before you (older). razz
From the villages, I could hear juke boxes in Clonbrook whilst in Bee Hive.
Georgetown had about two rum shops/beer garden per block (rounded off average) all blasting music till all you could make out is screeching. This would go on till about 11 pm when they had to stop.
You never heard chutney/soca as Sundar Popo didn't invent it yet. Burnham had almost stifled the ancestral culture, or some of it.
So you would hear mostly western songs (with or without vileness) like "John/Tom Jones, you son of a gun you take my woman...."
"waaah, pussy price gawn up. If you follow de pussy, you can't pay your rent"
"archie *uck dem up"
Mostly "culturally acceptable" western type of music as dictated and with people willing to bow. Maybe an occasional Indian film romantic song.
I wonder if a few "advanced" folks who have been accustomed to have their culture suppressed now feel ashamed at hearing their music from their origins, whilst the players of such now feel liberated and not oppressed, to express themselves openly. Maybe too disinhibited with more vulgarity?
Nobody can suppress a culture (way of life, etc. good or bad) totally, can't force assimilation even as Burnham tried.
Evolution (of culture even) is a slow process and not necessarily good if they adopt something worse.

I got lost in the Bronx and feared for my life, and hearing as the music was blasting so loudly.
Not all households are loud or obnoxious in Bronx or Queens. Many, if not mos, are probably quiet, conservative, law abiding type with what man like you would probably call "class." Pretentious?
But you cannot deny a cane cutter or factory worker from living his life and doing what he likes in as much as it is different from your peevishness.
Live and let live.
Those people are not necessarily an embarrassment to you. Perhaps the other way by turning up your nose at them.
Every single city will have problems with noise, loud parties. A simple call to the police will give the cops a chance to sit up and get out of the doughnut shop to give a friendly reminder to the producer.
Maybe if the ones turning up their noses did something constructive like drawing the problem to the authorities attention, they would have known the boundaries about being loud.

Runs 2019-07-08 16:57:26 

In reply to goofballs

Dude, you can support them all you want but I will not. Loud music and rum culture overblasting every summer day late into the night says to me you are an uncultured prick who thinks he has arrived in the land of cheap liquor and rum. No wonder 45 says they are not sending us their best and brightest. Elevate yourself, respect thy neighbors, am not saying not to have fun but come on, moderation and consideration should be key. wink
I for one would not be happy to see my property price plummet with folks blasting loud music and drinking alcohol on a daily basis, keep that crap in your villages. The GT area I grew up in was quiet and residential, maybe that is why I find it disturbing.
Enjoy the freedom offered but do not abuse it.

goofballs 2019-07-08 17:06:45 

In reply to Runs

Dude, you can support them all you want

You do have a knack of running with something and jumping to conclusions over and over again!

Every single city will have problems with noise, loud parties. A simple call to the police will give the cops a chance to sit up and get out of the doughnut shop to give a friendly reminder to the producer.
Maybe if the ones turning up their noses did something constructive like drawing the problem to the authorities attention, they would have known the boundaries about being loud

Maybe you can ALSO play an important role as a community leader rather than typing for hours for the audience of 20 or so on CCC.
Education, especially for those who never ever knew better.

Runs 2019-07-08 17:11:41 

In reply to goofballs

Maybe you can ALSO play an important role as a community leader rather than typing for hours for
Maybe you can ALSO play an important role as a community leader rather than typing for hours for the audience of 20 or so on CCC.
Education, especially for those who never ever knew better.those who never ever knew better.

And how do you know I am not? The problem with fellas like you is your willingness to judge and assume. I have been an outspoken critic, mediated the youths who due to such culture are suffering immensely in NYC, social workers are alarmed at the prevalence amongst Indo Guyanese youths, and are well aware of rampant alcoholism in the community, something brought over from Guyana. Teenage pregnancy and HS dropouts are numerous. So haul your condescending skunt so eh banas. We need more volunteers to donate their time and effort, I can pm who will like to help with relevant information. twisted rolleyes
Do not worry about how I spend my time, are you Burnham? I don’t waste it on rum sounds like you do, being defensive and judgmental.

goofballs 2019-07-08 17:14:48 

Here, introduce them to my type of real music.
Maybe one day they will appreciate, after couple generations.smile

Link Text

A real fast one for party.smile

Link Text

Runs 2019-07-08 17:18:04 

In reply to goofballs

I suspected you were a daru king lol

goofballs 2019-07-08 17:21:21 

In reply to Runs

fellas like you is your willingness to judge and assume.

You are stealing my line about you.
You are the one repeatedly running and jumping to conclusions from nothing and talk with your nose in the air like everybody else, except you, is an ignoraramus.

Anyhow, take care.
Later.
POINT made.

Again, I didn't come here to support anyone but to give a perspective.

Runs 2019-07-08 17:22:30 

In reply to goofballs

KYS old man, go drink your daru in peace lol damn idiot
Go help your villagers with their rampant alcoholism and suicides.

goofballs 2019-07-08 17:23:50 

In reply to Runs

Allyuh hold me back before I go beat him up.. razz

Always enjoyed your posts until one or two recently with my different views.

Runs 2019-07-08 17:24:56 

In reply to goofballs

Can’t believe a QC Alumni will support such. cool

ray 2019-07-08 17:28:06 

Town man and Country bai about to get it on lol lol

I spent my early years in the country and later years in GT...I have experienced both sides of this coin

ray 2019-07-08 17:29:39 

hointy toity people from town and lagoo bagoo from country lol lol

goofballs 2019-07-08 17:30:22 

In reply to Runs

Ok, just for your pleasure. Two real live anecdotes.
Tell me what's wrong.

Dropping off a Guyanese kid to her parents house in Queens during my last visit.
Stopped to get a sandwich.
"Me nah eat white man food."

Taking out an acquaintance to lunch.
Indian?
"I don't eat that shit."

maj 2019-07-08 17:31:21 

In reply to Runs

You really think its Indo Guyanese from the country, it's not Trinis Guyanese Jamaicans and others who are into the rum culture hence the popularity of artists like Ravi B..basically every song of his is about rum.

Chutney and Soca are Trini creations but everybody loves the music and rum lifestyle. I live here I know, I see the nonsense that goes on. I try to stay as far away as possible.

If the city policed these areas with care and enforced quality of life issues, there would be less of it. But when you have a mayor and a CC that focuces on DT and illegals instead of the people, this lewd behavior flourishes. I say ticket all excessively loud music with $1000 fines. That will definitely curb the abuse. Indians are too tranquil and are too scared to report or confront problems in their neighborhoods. Not me, as soon as some fool blasted music in my area I called 311 right away and often. Now the idiots have moved out. Every now and then I dont mind people must live and I have a party or two a year but I dont blast it or play into the wee hours of the morning.

goofballs 2019-07-08 17:31:46 

In reply to ray
I grew up in Queenstown and Kitty.
Not north Kitty, Bel Air or Prashad Nagar.

Runs 2019-07-08 17:37:21 

In reply to maj

I hear ya but Indo Guyanese/ Trinis shows no consideration, you try and tell them to lower and come back and report happenings.

Runs 2019-07-08 17:42:53 

In reply to ray

I was once at a friend from Berbice bbq, his father started asking folks where they were from, came to me who was with another GT buddy. He said, “Weh u pan bai? I replied Georgetown. He responded abee nah deal with town man all a scamps.”

I said to friend bro lets go, we are not wanted here next thing they get drunk and pick on us. Nice people though that was a lil faux pas but we remained friends, I am not a condescending GT type but when in Rome do as the Romans do.

Who assuming and being judgmental now lol

maj 2019-07-08 18:44:24 

In reply to Runs

Yes I know..the types. Tou think those shootings in Brooklyn after those BBQ's dont come from excessive drinking and songs that go "shots, shots, shots". Meaning liquor and guns..its not an Indo Gyyanese village thing..its an idiot thing.

Dem Beer Gardens in GT are the biggest complaints of residents.

Runs 2019-07-08 18:50:27 

In reply to maj

Villagers hit the rumshops on pay day for daru then follow up home with domestic abuse and then onto Indian porridge aka gramoxone, malathion etc banas
That is d crux a d problem right there, in GT they gun each other over “drug” deals gone bad. cool
I know these as facts, I know the truth is uncomfortable to accept and face but once we can then we can deal with and fix. It is called ignorance.
wink

goofballs 2019-07-08 19:22:59 

In reply to Runs
“ I know these as facts”
Here we go again!

“Guyanese women living in Jamaica are loud screamers. I know as facts!”

razz

jcveletta 2019-07-08 19:30:56 

In reply to Emir

no arguments mate. just wondering why there are song biggin up run drinking etc.

jcveletta 2019-07-08 19:32:20 

Irresponsible Artistes
In reply to Runs

very well said matte.

Runs 2019-07-08 19:40:38 

In reply to goofballs

Facts = credible, verifiable proof. I present as exhibit A an uncle and a childhood friend’s father as evidence your honor. I also have 10 witnesses who can corroborate my testimony with personal stories your honor. cool They are from just 1 village.

You keep digging deeper holes in the sand to hide your head and deny.

maj 2019-07-08 19:41:45 

In reply to Runs

Everybody got their problems..Like all those Central American women running away from their husbands that drink Tequila and cervezas then physically and mentally abuse them..

which Indo village are they from?

BTW do you believe thats a legitimate basis to claim asylum?

steveo 2019-07-08 19:46:29 

Runs you need to change the title of this thread to "Rum Drinking in Queens", there is no discussion here about oil!!!!

Runs 2019-07-08 19:46:33 

Now after this sidetrack with fellas who are only prepared to argue with me for the sake of it aka “whataboutism” without offering solutions, I will like to return to the topic of this thread. Please listen to this interview of Mr Jan Mangal, oil and gas expert with regards to his views on the Exxon contract.

Link Text

Runs 2019-07-08 19:47:56 

In reply to maj

Am not versed on the Asylum laws but if you give me some time I can educate myself on it and offer an opinion.
Where are you from Canje? Sugar Cane Industry workers? You cannot tell me that you are unaware of alcoholism and suicides and domestic abuse by the Indians? wink
Well them bring the behavior to farin

goofballs 2019-07-08 19:50:14 

In reply to Runs
I see all is not lost with you as you NOW see the jist of most of my questioning in most posts here.
However, your last sentence immediately quashed any hint of optimism about your understanding.
Digging hole? Hide? Deny?
You like Prem Jyotish or what? Thinking you know or see something! lol razz razz

I will also produce evidence of the GuyJam lady screamer. Will it then be an established fact? rolleyes

Runs 2019-07-08 19:57:37 

In reply to goofballs

I made my claim and backed it up with facts, case closed. wink

goofballs 2019-07-08 19:59:48 

In reply to Runs

cool

maj 2019-07-08 20:06:43 

In reply to Runs

Of course i am aware of that..

I know you know, it was brought over from India..India has a high of suicide among farmers!!

Runs 2019-07-08 20:18:44 

In reply to maj

We can debate that healthily as to reasons, if you are suggesting it is inherited as in their dna, I strongly disagree. wink That theory does not hold water and is all conspiracy.

Listen to that Exxon interview leh we get back on topic.

ray 2019-07-08 20:27:30 

yuh mean ayuh nah like song wha ah play whole night

Runs 2019-07-08 20:53:07 

Bhojpuri is a language spoken in the North-Eastern part of India and the Terai region of Nepal.[4] It is chiefly spoken in western Bihar and eastern Uttar Pradesh.[7][8] Bhojpuri is sociolinguistically considered one of the Hindi dialects[9] although it officially belongs to the geographic Bihari branch of Eastern Indo-Aryan languages. Fiji Hindi, an official language of Fiji, is a variety of Bhojpuri. Bhojpuri is one of the recognized official languages of Nepal and Fiji. It is also a minority language in Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, Suriname, South Africa, and Mauritius.[10][11

99% of Indo Caribbeans are from here.

The Bhojpuri region or Bhojpur is an area encompassing parts of Bihar, Jharkhand formerly West Bengal where a famous Indian cricketer is from can you name him? And Uttar Pradesh in northern India and the Bara and Parsa districts of Nepal where the Bhojpuri language is spoken as a mother tongue language.

maj 2019-07-08 21:35:08 

In reply to Runs

You were the one that went off topic with your second post..lol.

In their DNA as in mentally weak!!

We all know Exxon effed Guyana big time..there is not much to debate there. Guyana is getting mere pittance of the oil profits

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-07-08 22:15:26 

All expats Guyanese are getting 40 Barrels of oil and a mule to pull it.

Better days are coming

goofballs 2019-07-08 23:43:47 

In reply to Runs

if you are suggesting it is inherited as in their dna, I strongly disagree.

Arre wah! Professor Runs. Which academic/research institution are you head of?
Must have done a lot of work and seen thousands of cases to come up with that unique expert opinion that as of now was never in the annals.

That theory does not hold water and is all conspiracy.

Breaking News! Breaking News!
I have to go to CNN and get all the details and maybe see an interview or two with Professor Runs, who is always of one opinion (his) which he makes into facts, supported by 10 Indian villagers.

Call me condescending or eccentric or what, but bullshit must be addressed before it stinks up the place. Perhaps there maybe be 10 Jalasses here who would eat it all up.

Guyanese have to talk as if they know everything and are always right about everything?

You said you are helping suicidal folks? rolleyes rolleyes

Now go and leggo some mama cuss to make you feel like a man.

Anyhow, they won't let me use the computer anymore for tonight.
smile

Drapsey 2019-07-08 23:50:12 

In reply to maj

Thank God this does not happen by me, Dickblasio has reduced the NYPDs ability to take away the systems that these idiots use, because of lawsuits against the city. The cops hardly write summonses for these assholes.

We surmise that you live in the high-rent-district.

Show-off!

Runs 2019-07-08 23:54:45 

In reply to goofballs

Thank god we live in the west eh, you are exhibiting dictatorial tendencies mamoo. Am I not allowed to disagree, did I say I am a subject matter expert? Do you care to share your supposedly expert take on it? cool
You are a hating fool, eccentric indeed with all that long winded nonsensical diatribe you usually post. After the 4th sentence of scatology, I usually move on to the next response. You can continue to do ad hominem attacks, rest assured I am quite capable and will mash you up any day sir. wink
You are a lightweight nincompoop.

maj 2019-07-09 00:29:31 

In reply to Drapsey

Haha no way..I'm not far from the madness but close enough to smell.

Everywhere in Queens is a high rent district!!

Runs 2019-07-09 14:43:25 

From $4k per capita to $32k for 800k citizens.

Link Text

Runs 2019-07-29 16:38:39 

Today’s Forbes article on Guyana’s vast oil finds

Link Text

StumpCam 2019-07-29 17:05:16 

In reply to Runs

If the principals of each political party were smart, they would realize that the reality of these oil discoveries are huge and all Guyanese would benefit tremendously, therefore they should all come together and cease all the infighting, while others reap the benefits!

googley 2019-07-30 01:14:43 

In reply to goofballs

Here, introduce them to my type of real music.

nice song panditji! lol lol lol

googley 2019-07-30 01:15:48 

In reply to Runs

ah gon tell Manager how you carrying on bout Bobbicians! lol lol

Runs 2019-07-30 01:24:01 

In reply to googley

Lol he knows that, all in good jest. Have not seen that bachelor in a long time. How is he doing? lol

googley 2019-07-30 01:25:26 

In reply to Runs

who knows! Have not heard from him in years either. lol