The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Planning for the Future

Fantom 2019-07-07 20:00:12 

“One of the things that we will be doing differently is that we will be investing in the team for the future, and we will be planning and executing our plans way in advance of the next World Cup so that we will not have any chopping and changing,” Skerritt said.

Here is one suggestion. Mr Skerritt.

There is no doubt that one of our best performers in the World Cup was Sheldon Cottrell. This player is Jamaican by birth but made his name playing for the SKN Patriots and T&T, not his native Jamaica. Arguably, Cottrell's success has much to do with this fact since he might not even have been picked for Jamaica(?).

Our best players in the Caribbean should have the opportunity to play in our competitions for teams different from their land of birth. This will lead to a better West Indies team. Watch how India runs their IPL.

My scheme to get there is given below.

Fantom 2019-07-07 20:04:57 

Each squad of 15 players should comprise:

I. one (1) marquee player - local or WI
II. seven (7) local players maximum - can be retained year to year
III. five (5) players from other territories picked in a draft
IV. two (2) players selected from the last WI U 19 team - local or WI

Fantom 2019-07-07 20:17:09 

This is only one idea. No doubt it can be improved. There are also other ideas which must be implemented to make West Indies cricket better.

A few of the benefits that come to mind immediately are:

i. the best players in the Caribbean will be competing for WI team spots
ii. greater WI team cohesion since players will be even more familiar with each other
iii. players will now demonstrate more enterprise and realize it is OK to move and try to make their cricket careers better