The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: CWI has no choice but to grant Gayle his farewell

CaribbeanCricket.com 2019-07-07 23:32:29 

The West Indies is set to play host to India for a full tour which will bowl off on August 3rd in Florida. The One-Day International series was set to mark a new era in West Indies 50-over cricket, with the expectation that the young core of this team would be given an extended run of games. With the T20I series seeing the return of the T20 stars, while the Test series would have been marketed as WINDIES being the first team to feature in the inauguration of the ICC World Test Championship, the 2019-2021 edition. However, with Chris Gayle taking a controversial U-turn on his retirement decision, the ODI series will now be anticipated as a signing-off for Gayle and there is now the small matter of a farewell game for the Jamaican, in the Test series. The bigger issue, though, lies within the idea of a farewell Test for a player who has been absent from the Test scene for 5 years, this coming September. 

A case could be made for a man who has two triple centuries, three double hundreds and fifteen centuries in Test cricket deserving a send-off. Yet, a case could also be made against the left-hander on the premise that he bade his goodbye to Test cricket long ago, having last played the longest format in Kingstown, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines back in 2014 against Bangladesh. Where I stand, however, is here: the timing of a farewell Test match for Christopher Henry Gayle is an inconvenience, as:

1. The West Indies has just stumbled upon what looks like the partner Kraigg Brathwaite has been yearning for.
  2. Immediately prior to the game Gayle is keen to play (the second Test at Sabina Park); Test matches will no longer be just Test matches

Full Story

Khaga 2019-07-07 23:38:17 

Gayle always manipulated thru media..very Trumpian..

DAVE400 2019-07-08 00:23:36 

In reply to Khaga

The shite the Caribbean "journalists" write is mind boggling.

TyTy35 2019-07-08 00:36:03 

Crampy is my boy, much respect to everything he has acheived and all he has contributed to West Indies Cricket, but if he can not make the team on merrit he should be dropped and the team should move on. Lara didnt get a good bye series neither did Viv or Chanders lets not start with that now.

Atl_View 2019-07-08 00:52:04 

While we are at it let us figure out where to place his monument for public worshiping.

maybe right next to the idols from the dominant era? Please let me know where is that place...

Our cricket is now about individuals and impressing the T20 Leagues for job security.
The Administration of our WI Cricket operates under the classic American Mafia style. Always feuding and every once in a while a new punk tries his hand at running the show.
We are in desperate need of a Godfather in so many ways!!!!!

twisted twisted

DIEHARD 2019-07-08 01:14:15 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

Wtf is this shite.

Completely misread it at first because what is actually saying made no sense to me...brain could not compute!!

stroke 2019-07-08 01:23:24 

In reply to DIEHARD
I suggest a farewell.... “Goodbye and Goodluck” Mr Gayle!!!!!

VoopsandOut 2019-07-08 01:24:38 

Gayle is at it again. He should have treated his fantastic performance in the ODI series against England as his farewell in the West Indies. He is after all playing for the West Indies not for Jamaica. If he wants to wear WI colours in Jamaica so badly, he should be prepared to be 12th man and get rousing applause as he brings out the water and towels. Sorry, the self proclaimed Universe Boss was shown up in the WC not to be so. Thank you for your service and Live Long and Prosper.

Gsyle must play in that second test in Jamaica or prepare for a massive boycot!!!

Bain 2019-07-08 04:04:35 

In reply to Avatar

Good joke man. Anybody in Jamaica interested in Test cricket to participate in boycott? The 50 regulars who sit up in North Stand beside the dressing rooms?

Domic 2019-07-08 08:54:52 

In reply to VoopsandOut

I concur

djdrastic 2019-07-08 09:25:31 

In reply to Khaga

Crampy Quota required ?

Drapsey 2019-07-08 10:07:24 

Come on guys, wouldn't it be great if Gayle could score an unprecedented 4th triple ton, and at his Sabina Park home ground no less?

I say, let's give the man the opportunity.

Babylon 2019-07-08 10:26:42 

In reply to Drapsey
CG Is de BOSS big grin

XDFIX 2019-07-08 10:29:01 

The question must be, can Gayle make the team on merit? A resounding yes!

Star 2019-07-08 10:34:35 

In reply to TyTy35
You guys make me sick at times.

So your logic is because Viv, Lara and Chandlers got crappy treatment from CWI, the same crappy treatment should be meted out to Gayle?

My advise to all up and coming talented youngsters, Pooran, Hetmyer, Thomas, if the opportunity presents itself for you all to earn a living playing cricket around the world other than for the WI, grab it and run with it.

More likely than not based on the reasoning of these so called fans, you all will be in line for the same crappy treatment which seems ok to these non thinking fans.

rillo 2019-07-08 10:59:38 

Gayle should be retired just like Viv, Greenidge,Shiv and Lara were. Just do not name him in the team.
His core is 20/20 cricket just like DeVilliers.
So he should stop trying to manipulate the selectors.
Just retire because you cannot score in big games anymore. This WC proved it.

Star 2019-07-08 12:10:28 

In reply to rillo
You are just another fool.

Who performed with the bat for WI during the England tour to the Caribbean prior to this World cup?

While you are thinking about that question answer this one. Other than Pooran, name another consistent performer with the bat for WI during this world cup.

Just posting for posting sake does not mean you are a person who brings rational thought, logic and common sense to the table.

Going by your logic, not only Gayle but a whole bunch of the current players who took part in this world cup would be out of the team.

Courtesy 2019-07-08 12:13:19 

In reply to Star

Remove your head from your ass.

At age 39 it's time for Gayle to move on from test cricket and give a younger player the opportunity. It's not that Gayle has been a regular feature of the West Indies test side within recent times.

This is opportunistic at best. No IPL or other KFC's...

CWI is not a mum amd pap corner shop.

Would you defend Gayle's fantasies had it been a dottie in the same vein, who hadn't played test regularly for the West Indies of late?

Think about the answer before typing.

Let him get his farewell in T20 cricket.

Jumpstart 2019-07-08 12:31:29 

Brian lara, avg of 53, 9 double hundreds including a triple and a quadruple, author of 4 of the top 20 test innings of all time, 3 in the top ten, did not get a farewell test..................who the hell gayle thinks he is

jacksprat 2019-07-08 12:34:25 

In reply to Avatar

Gayle must play in that second test in Jamaica or prepare for a massive boycott!!!

How would this "massive boycott" be played out?

Are you suggesting that a few of the 2 dozen pensioners who typically comprise the 'crowd' a at Sabina Park test match will stay home to protest Gayle's exclusion?big grin

I guess it would be reminiscent of that much touted "massive boycott", from 2 years ago, against Pakistan, when the retirees presumably stayed away in droves to register their disapproval of Blackwood being left out on the occasion of the 50th test at Sabina Park!!big grin big grin

jacksprat 2019-07-08 12:42:08 

In reply to TyTy35

... but if he can not make the team on merrit he should be dropped and the team should move on.

This concept of 'merit' is such a quaint notion!big grin

Don't you recall Hillaire's dictum about the paradigm shift and have you forgot that it's now about "vibes", "commitment" & "passion"? big grin

We would hope that Gayle, if selected, will be expected to contribute a little more than spinning the toss and clapping!big grin big grin

WIForever 2019-07-08 12:44:29 

Test cricket is not a joke.

anthonyp 2019-07-08 12:46:30 

In reply to Avatar

boycot? so you want the dog and handful of pensioners to stay home? lol lol

I don't expect any support for WI.. The Indians on the other hand will be there to support their team

Star 2019-07-08 18:17:50 

In reply to Courtesy
To understand the gist of the author's piece one must have a modicum of common sense.

Seeing that you failed to comprehend what the author is getting at, it would be pointless responding in detail to you any further.

It is very hard to convince a fool with logic and it is very easy for a fool to believe and think his opinion is the only one that matters.

The author of the article put forward an argument for Gayle's inclusion based on rational thought, logic and common sense.

I support the author's view and I can tell you right here and now that Mr.Jimmy Adams, Mr.Robert Haynes and Mr.Skerritt are all of the same view.

The days of management being nasty and hateful towards the players are over. You can continue living in the stone age with that plantation mentality.

Mr.Skerritt and Mr.Adams are way above that pay grade. Welcome to the new way of thinking at CWI.

The days of old man Courtesy with his plantation management style are over.

Courtesy 2019-07-08 18:39:28 

In reply to Star

So now I am compelled to agree with any jackassery that is ever written, otherwise, I "don't have a modicum of common sense."

In fact, I read one article from this writer and I refuse to read another word coming from him.

Now this tells my story.

Pleasant reading and I maintain: let Chris Gayle ride into the sunset. He was given an inch, now he wants a yard...next a mile.

Further, the fact that the three stooges (whoever they are) that you quoted endorsed (no evidence that they did) the writer's view says everything about West Indies cricket - a circus.

VoopsandOut 2019-07-08 18:46:56 

Questions to Star, who is an obvious supporter of the Gayle benefit test match. (i) Who should he replace? and (ii) shouldnt there be trial matches to determine the final squad? Will he participate in these or just walk into the final 11 based on sentiment?

Courtesy 2019-07-08 18:51:51 

In reply to Star

...I support the author's view and I can tell you right here and now that Mr.Jimmy Adams, Mr.Robert Haynes and Mr.Skerritt are all of the same view...

Btw, by making the views above public in a matter to be determined by a selection panel, (if true) you have not done any favours to Messrs Skerritt, Adams and Haynes. FOOL, 'cause only a fool or one who thinks with his bottom does such a thing.

jacksprat 2019-07-08 18:55:30 

In reply to Star

To understand the gist of the gist of the author's piece one must have a modicum of common sense.

And, you failed to mention, free of an insular anti-Gayle agenda. It's always seem fascinating to me how so-called principle can be turned on its head depending on the identity of the protagonist and the passport he holds - even if they have to stoop to fabricating "facts".

It is very hard to convince a fool with logic and it is very easy for a fool to believe and think his opinion is the only one that matters.

OUCH!! big grin Hammer, Meet Nail!

Name drop yes! If said party can name drop former President Double-Ugly why can't you also be allowed to name drop Jimmy, Haynes & Skerrit? big grin

Excuse me while I get my pop corn!! big grin

Walco 2019-07-08 19:33:01 

In reply to Courtesy

Eventually you will learn that Starboy is "special" and it's best to ignore him. I am surprised he did not call you an educated fool smile

Courtesy 2019-07-08 19:47:50 

In reply to Walco

Eventually you will learn that Starboy is "special" and it's best to ignore him. I am surprised he did not call you an educated fool

You know the falling star better than I do. But something, somewhere upstairs does not sound right to me.

big grin

powen001 2019-07-08 20:39:27 

In reply to Star

well said

FuzzyWuzzy 2019-07-08 20:48:28 

If CWI feels that Gayle should get a send off hold a fete not a test match.

Star 2019-07-08 21:42:42 

In reply to VoopsandOut

(ii) shouldnt there be trial matches to determine the final squad?

Yes there should be trial matches but you see where you are going with this one?

What happens if these trial matches to select the team exposes certain players (without naming names) to embarrassing failures?

What would be your solution?

Star 2019-07-08 21:50:44 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

If CWI feels that Gayle should get a send off hold a fete not a test match.

Imagine the above statement coming from a Bajan of all people!!!!!!!!

You insular people (most of you) boycotted a test match for a mediocre club bowler and you have the gall to come on this board talking about holding a fete for Gayle instead of allowing him to play his final test match for the WI as he requested.

Sad indeed.

VoopsandOut 2019-07-08 22:18:18 

In reply to Star

that is the whole purpose of a trial match. If you cant take the pressure then, how can you take it in the real thing? I wouldnt care who makes the team after these matches because then objectively you can see the merit. I have no problem with Gayle being selected for the test series once it is on merit and not purely on sentiment and provided that he is fit enough to perform for 5 days

NYCGURU 2019-07-08 22:33:43 

In reply to VoopsandOut

Let's be real,the man can barely hold up for an ODI without breaking down. But of course CWI can always petition the ICC to allow us a designated fielder because we are talking about the UNIVERSE BOSS whose contributions and love for Test Cricket has been well documented. Justice for the Boss.

FuzzyWuzzy 2019-07-08 22:39:27 

CWI is or ought to be a serious organisation in the administration of world cricket not a friendly neighborhood club.

Star 2019-07-08 22:40:25 

In reply to VoopsandOut
My concern is not about the individual Gayle anymore. We are focusing on the trial matches to select the team.

My question to you is as follows:
What happens if these trial matches to select the team exposes certain players (without naming names) to embarrassing failures?

What would be your solution?

Come up with your best answer.

mittheimp 2019-07-09 01:52:06 

Gayle simply isng fig enough for a 5 day game (even a 3 day test).Give him an ODI or 2 and hd can still play T20.

Barry 2019-07-09 02:04:59 

In reply to Star

You insular people (most of you) boycotted a test match for a mediocre club bowler and you have the gall to come on this board talking about holding a fete for Gayle instead of allowing him to play his final test match for the WI as he requested.

Sad indeed.

Who are you talking about?

Domic 2019-07-09 06:24:13 

In reply to Star

I am sure they are. Liked i said somewhere else not even God can help us. We are doomed and i continue to be sucked in. When will will learn when to move on to the next chapter we keep carrying baggage from the old chapters to contaminate the New.

methodic 2019-07-09 08:02:33 

when you done, you done and Gayle done. I am not even reading that article. I don't believe the selectors will continue to select him.

RonaldM 2019-07-09 11:08:31 

It’s simple...look in the mirror and ask yourself Gayle...what’s best for Windies cricket that you love so much? Therein you will find the truth!!

We have to respect his performance in the last ODI series against England, and perhaps on that he may make the team, however it’s time to rebuild, or 4 years catches up quickly.. don’t want to be unprepared in wc2023.
Home series is a great opportunity to blood new players.
Thanks for he memories CHG!!!