The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Konta and the media today

Chrissy 2019-07-09 23:41:31 

Is that in your professional tennis opinion?

Konta had 34 unforced errors in a match that lasted 1:37. A reporter mentioned this and recounted three specific instances of missed points, setting off the awkward exchange at the 3:30 mark of Wimbledon’s press conference.

Reporter: “Do you not have to look at yourself a little bit about how you cope with these big points? Because it’s all very well to saying it’s a lot to do with your opponent but there were key points where you could have done better.

Konta:

Reporter: No, that’s just as a watching spectator just as everyone else ... who’s rooting you on.

Konta: I mean, I don't think you need to pick on me in a harsh way. I think I’m very open with you guys and I say how I feel out there and if you don’t want to accept that answer or don’t agree with it, that’s fine, but I still believe in the tennis that I play and I still believe in the way that I competed. But yeah I don’t have much else to say to that question

Reporter: I just say to you as someone who wants to presumably wants to go on from here, learn from this and win a grand slam one day, is it not something that you need—

Konta: Please don’t patronize me. No, no, you are [patronizing me] in the way you asked your question. You’re being quite disrespectful and patronizing me. I’m a professional competitor who did her best today and that’s all there is to that.

Discuss lol lol

Chrissy 2019-07-10 00:15:21 

Video here

Casper 2019-07-10 05:28:15 

In reply to Chrissy

She’s actually right. I and many others are as guilty as the reporter who wouldon the side observing, and not under the heat of battle, and telling the player what he or she should have done

Chrissy 2019-07-10 11:02:05 

In reply to Casper

Agreed - the reporter is not her coach

Tryangle 2019-07-10 12:46:44 

Yeah that reporter was out of line.