The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Brian Lara

brians_da_best 2019-07-11 11:59:15 

Why is he so low profile for one of the greatest players of all time?

Even during the world cup, no one seems to be after him for interviews, insights, etc. He's doing some media work in India (of all places) when he really should be in England, enjoying the games and soaking in the adulation that tendulkar and Warne seem to be getting.

Instead he's in a low profile role working in india, out of a studio! He's attended a few games, but I don't see the ICC tweeting or Instagramming about him either, nor is he at the presentation ceremonies and so on.

Compared to him, tendulkar is pretty much at every ICC event, ICCs Instagram page has a whole lot of content featuring him, etc.

Knowing Lara, he's not like shiv, who prefers to be in the shadows. He loves the limelight, and loves being the center of attention, and he was that for his entire career. Now with the biggest global tournament of his sport happening, he's nowhere to be found.

Tendulkar has even been in the commentary BOX a couple of times, and at pre game shows at the ground, and the man cannot speak in English! His voice is not suited to media work at all, and he talks in a weird slow accent. Yet, he's all over the place, while Lara is nowhere to be found. Strange

Priapus 2019-07-11 12:00:59 

In reply to brians_da_best

Tendy is a UNICEF ambassador.

doosra 2019-07-11 12:01:49 

what do you mean low profile?

brians_da_best 2019-07-11 12:03:30 

In reply to doosra

No one's really talking much about him. Not the ICC, not the media. For most of the world cup, he's been hiding away in india, doing some analyses for television there.

Would have been good to see him on the world stage, with the other legends (and some players who can't carry his jockstrap)

ray 2019-07-11 12:04:53 

why should they? twisted

brians_da_best 2019-07-11 12:05:19 

In reply to Priapus

Interesting. Reinforces my point about the no one seeming to want a piece of Brian Lara these days. I don't even think he has any endorsements (maybe angosturra and B mobile) going.

For someone who has been so loved around the world for most of his playing career, had numerous endorsements and social commitments all the time, this truly comes across as strange,

brians_da_best 2019-07-11 12:06:11 

In reply to ray

Well for some reason, they all seem to want a piece of Warne and tendulkar! Lara, in my view, was the greatest player of that club!

Barry 2019-07-11 12:13:01 

You know Lara like the limelight? You are a pimple on his ...ba...t? confused

nitro 2019-07-11 12:28:09 

Lara was admired around the world, not loved. Tendy on the other hand was a cricket god.

RonaldM 2019-07-11 12:46:42 

I am sure Brian Lara is enjoying his life on his own terms. Doing what he likes to do, including lots of golf. Did you know Lara loves golfing, and is pretty good at it?
Playing golf regularly, and practicing is quite a commitment of one’s time.

problemjay 2019-07-11 12:59:33 

Common sense will tell you the Indian entertainment sports media is HUGE and will insert their own Tendulkar's opinion any and everywhere. Anyway Lara's personality has always been humble and low profile, even when he was an active player he was very low key so most people don't expect him to change after retirement twelve years ago.

Speaking of Lara's greatness Link Text

Kurt 2019-07-12 01:38:41 

I'm glad for Lara that he did well enough financially to not have to be stuck in a booth doing commentary after his career was over.

Narper 2019-07-12 01:55:28 

In reply to Kurt

to not have to be stuck in a booth doing commentary after his career was over

So what you think he was doing in India when he had the heart attack?

When other legends were at the WC in England he was doing commentary off the TV screen in INDIA

Emir 2019-07-12 02:03:28 

In reply to Narper

When other legends were at the WC in England he was doing commentary off the TV screen in INDIA

He was in the biggest and richest market in the cricket world.

Narper 2019-07-12 02:08:44 

In reply to Emir

He was in the biggest and richest market in the cricket world.

He was there working....when the indian legends were all in England ....some working and some just enjoying the WC2019....did you see TenD....UNICEF ambassador?

But the argument from people like Kurt has always been that he does NOT need the money

I see him at IPL....now he is working in INDIA.....does he now need de money?

I can't help thinking about his buddy Dwight Yorke who is now broke....or Russell Latapy who is still actively coaching...

rillo 2019-07-12 02:41:43 

India, Australia and England the big 3 calls the shots for the ICC.
So Lara is sidelined naturally.

Barry 2019-07-12 03:52:46 

In reply to Narper

You wish he was broke... you think all people like that are broke... what a sad Guyanese man you be.....Yorke broke... by the way working is a good thing.... is Deonarine broke? sad

brians_da_best 2019-07-12 07:27:58 

In reply to Narper

Exactly my point, it would have good to see him in England soaking in the action there, than to be stuck in a studio in india.

I don’t think he’s broke, but he definitely doesn’t get the adulation and respect he deserves

Drapsey 2019-07-12 09:32:09 

Even during the world cup, no one seems to be after him for interviews, insights, etc. He's doing some media work in India (of all places) when he really should be in England, enjoying the games and soaking in the adulation that tendulkar and Warne seem to be getting.

Maybe they're uncomfortable with his natural voice/speaking tone.

If that's the case, he should focus on the print media.

Emir 2019-07-12 10:42:13 

In reply to Drapsey

Maybe they're uncomfortable with his natural voice/speaking tone.

If that's the case, he should focus on the print media.

Yuh ever hear Tendy? He can barely string one sentence in English and when he does, you looking at the a 12 year old level. He is not much better in his native language and his "expertise" opinions are rather simplistic and weak for a former great like him.

And nothing wrong with dat, as the man is not a commie and commentating is not what he is great for, but you pointed out the Brian voice and tone, so if they don't like Brian's then must hate Tendy's.

Drapsey 2019-07-12 11:26:27 

In reply to Emir

Sorry Emir, but I've been known to point to Lara's negatives over the years.

Great cricketer, but I just don't like the guy ever since he dissed me when I tried posing for a picture with him in NY.

Couldn't believe the guy actually turned his back. wink

Narper 2019-07-12 11:51:09 

In reply to Barry

You wish he was broke... you think all people like that are broke... what a sad Guyanese man you be.....Yorke broke... by the way working is a good thing.... is Deonarine broke?

Just fcuk offf....dumb trini....just fcuk off

Newbie....read and learn before jumping you dumb skunt into big people conversation here

Narper 2019-07-12 11:55:00 

In reply to Emir

Yuh ever hear Tendy? He can barely string one sentence in English and when he does, you looking at the a 12 year old level

TenD was on air at the world cup...very well spoken...in English....as good as Lara

Barry 2019-07-12 12:18:10 

In reply to Narper

I am afraid neither of you nor your drunken states- we are all equal and Phil is equivalent to Shiv and Shiv to the big idiot. No one should allow bigoted views to stand as truth.... confused

Barry 2019-07-12 12:19:04 

In reply to Drapsey

Maybe you smelled? big grin

Barry 2019-07-12 12:25:50 

In reply to Narper

Fact- Dwight paid 1.5 million pounds to stave off bankruptcy. Fact- it was his company, Yorke Promotions. Fact. See. Donald Trump.
Link Text razz

Drapsey 2019-07-12 13:05:18 

In reply to Barry

Sir Garfield Sobers nor Sir Everton Weekes thought so when they individually posed with yours truly.

Those pictures are an integral part of my prized photo collection.

The one with Lara turning his back is stacked somewhere in the rummage bin.

Barry 2019-07-12 13:21:46 

In reply to Drapsey

Wow, a woman scorned- move on not about you, you are a crazy diasporan fan.. was he on his personal business... Sir Garry? I need some mount gay... confused

Jumpstart 2019-07-12 13:29:49 

In reply to Drapsey

dude i have an autograph from lara when i met him before the odis in the england 1998 series......i never had any problems

positiveg 2019-07-12 13:38:45 

Everyone can't be a commentator, so being an analyst as Lara's role recently for Star Tv during the WC works
He had to have been paid for it

Now if you're asking if he can't play a more important role in WI cricket then
But maybe he's comfortable doing what he's doing
Better to be comfortable doing what you're doing best than not doing it at all.

Chrissy 2019-07-12 14:23:30 

In reply to doosra

Just laugh bro.

Kurt 2019-07-12 14:50:39 

There’s a huge difference between doing commentary on the non-stop world cricket circuit and providing expert studio analysis for a big game or tournament.

Arsenal Wenger & Jose Mourino won’t do the former but they’re happy to do the latter, and we know they aren’t broke.

Commentary is a career and with that comes a commitment and a day to day grind. Then not everyone is suited to it. It’s not as easy as it looks.

Drapsey 2019-07-12 14:56:43 

In reply to Jumpstart

dude i have an autograph from lara when i met him before the odis in the england 1998 series......i never had any problems

Actually, I've been told similar stories by acquaintances.

Maybe it was just a case that he felt threatened by yours truly.

brians_da_best 2019-07-12 17:42:45 

In reply to Drapsey

I've had the chance to meet him on at least 3 occasions, and each time he came across as very humble and friendly. Twice at airport lounges, and once at a social event where he was with his daughter.

I'm just surprised that no one's talking about Lara as much as I thought they would.

There was a time where anything he put his name on sold like hot cakes, not anymore, it seems!

Hope I'm wrong, but seeing Warne and tendulkar soaking in the england vibe, and watching Brian in an Indian studio with some tv presenters is a little painful

Drapsey 2019-07-12 18:10:45 

I've had the chance to meet him on at least 3 occasions, and each time he came across as very humble and friendly. Twice at airport lounges, and once at a social event where he was with his daughter.

Are you sure about that count?

Man, you were standing right there when he turned his back on me and my photo opportunity!

BCLara's batting prowess was phenomenal, however, he featured in some incidents that were less than admirable, and could well be the underlying reasons for his being snubbed in retirement.

I'll choose not to list them.

Jumpstart 2019-07-12 18:29:06 

In reply to Drapsey
snubbed by who? probably by small minded caribbean journalists who wrote and said the most disgusting, personal things about him. A la brian lara is the world's greatest politician by colin croft, andrew mason..........sean devers who wrote lara was afraid of mcgrath and lara paid for dever's brain tumor surgery. Bet you did not know that. Lara does not like the limelight which is why you don't know he's behind some of the most exclusive functions in the caribbean through his events promo company. he actually invested instead of running woman(alone) and not prepping for retirement

Barry 2019-07-12 18:35:57 

In reply to Drapsey

BCLara's batting prowess was phenomenal, however, he featured in some incidents that were less than admirable, and could well be the underlying reasons for his being snubbed in retirement.

All of that because he did not give you an autograph? You felt small and used, as you should.... confused big grin

Drapsey 2019-07-12 18:45:34 

In reply to Jumpstart

Did you read the lead post as written by BCL's bosom buddy, brians_da_best?

Drapsey 2019-07-12 18:57:46 

In reply to Barry

How old are you, Barry?

Barry 2019-07-12 19:13:36 

In reply to Drapsey
46 and you?
I think you are a raging fan with a number of empty experiences in your personal life. Brian was wrong to ignore you. Maybe he was tired. Sometimes its hard to be a hero to an empty people. But now you keep carrying the hurt indicating your psychological identity crisis . . .
confused

The word fan finds originates from the Modern Latin fanaticus, meaning as much as “insanely but divinely inspired”. True fans are committed from the cradle to the grave. They tattoo their skin, sing, start their own religion and use their cash (or their stun-gun) to express their – almost – unconditional love for their favourite team.

Professor Daniel Wann, a psychologist at Murray State University in Kentucky has published several studies and some great books on Fan Psychology. He points out that not every fan is equally involved and devised the Sport Fan Motivation Scale which isolates 8 major motives for becoming a sports fan: eustress (postitive stress), escape, entertainment, economic, aesthetic, group affiliation, self-esteem, and family needs and also presented the fan involvement ladder. It’s designed to illustrate the degrees of fan intensity and help sports decision makers determine how to increase fan involvement, moving fans from lower to higher levels on the ladder.

Sports Networker

Jumpstart 2019-07-12 19:23:00 

In reply to Drapsey

i did.....and i also read your beef with lara about a photograph probably 2 decades after the incident. I was responding to your statement that lara's incidents with a few west indians may have affected his visibility in public circles which as shown in my post is totally untrue

brians_da_best 2019-07-14 10:15:26 

Good to see him in England, looking dapper as always

DAVE400 2019-07-14 11:57:27 

Knowing the guy..any media attention he gets or avoids is by his choice..

He is not going to be a slave to publicity.