The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

The U19 Squad Of 2014

TheTrail 2019-07-11 16:54:28 

Here are the class of 2014 U19 fast bowlers.
Where are they today? How far away are they from making the WI test team?

Fast Bowlers:

Marquino Mindley
Jerome Jones
Preston McSween
Ray Jordan

Link Text

doosra 2019-07-11 16:55:00 

In reply to TheTrail

and people saying Joffra woulda be better had he stayed here

and that the english system didnt help him?

TheTrail 2019-07-11 17:05:01 

In reply to doosra

Maybe the WI selectors have done him a favour. wink

Seriously, the English structured county system was the key to his cricket advancement.

And he was willing to listen and learn.

anthonyp 2019-07-11 17:06:52 

In reply to doosra

Think they played a warm up series against Bangladesh U19 in Guyana..

Archer played one of the games at Bourda and he wasn't quicker than Jones and Jordan.. he was the tallest WI U19 pacer in that series though

That Ray Jordan fella was pelting really hard back then.. could remember him bowling a low full toss and knocking one the Bangladesh players off their feet..

allan 2019-07-11 17:18:37 

In reply to TheTrail

But Hetty, Pooran and Allen in the current WI senior team?
Is it that the quality of these pacers were not great?

tc1 2019-07-11 17:28:28 

In reply to anthonyp

Jones suffered back problems, was ahead of all bowlers. Archer had a bad series against Banglash as well as Jones, remember Jones made the 2012 team as a 16 yo bowling speed was in the high 80s him and Beaton.
Jones never recovered from.his back problems.

robbo 2019-07-11 17:34:24 

I thought Jerome Jones looked very promising but he hasn’t made anything of his talent...Jordan still plays FC cricket for the Windwards but has lost a lot of pace trying to straighten his arm...Mindley has had success at FC level but to be honest is nothing more than a decent medium pacer not quite good enough for international level.... not heard anything about McSween... he was/is a medium paced lefty.

robbo 2019-07-11 17:36:53 

In reply to tc1

Wasn’t aware Jones had back problems.. that is a great shame and explains a lot.

Baje 2019-07-11 17:37:14 

In reply to tc1
So let's see, two young fast bowlers Archer and Jones had injuries
Archer headed for England with his injuries
Jones stayed in Bim with his injuries

Priapus 2019-07-11 17:42:14 

In reply to Baje

Jones stayed in Bim with his injuries

Did/does he have the same options as Archer?

Jumpstart 2019-07-11 17:44:12 

In reply to TheTrail

you know i read an article from 2016 where Alarri was angry he didn't get picked for this team and took out his frustrations on some part time english tourists. Big up to alzarri man
Link Text

We knew we were in trouble when their opening bowler’s run-up went back to the boundary. He was 17, tall, whip-thin and quick — very quick. He was also rather angry as he had just been left out of the West Indies Under-19 team to tour Bangladesh.

Proof that island politriks will get us nowhere

tc1 2019-07-11 18:00:48 

[b]In reply to robbo[/ Baje/b]

Jones was reaching high 80s as a 17yo, he was a gem of a bowler before his back problems.

Archer, Jones and Akeem Jordan were on Bim under 19 team together, all at least 6-3.

doosra 2019-07-11 18:36:09 

truth is

few ppl here bawling for joffa din even know he existed prior to england

big grin

powen001 2019-07-11 18:55:32 

In reply to doosra

correct.

TheTrail 2019-07-11 19:22:18 

In reply to Jumpstart

Proof that island politriks will get us nowhere

Also, different people handle situations differently at times.
The BCA and selectors do not want to admit they screwed up on Archer.

Meanwhile, Jordan is there pelting his heart out.

BTW, the CWI also "scewed" up Lionel Baker, after he told Leicestershire he is not coming to join their county team,

they (the WI )gave him a couple of test matches afterwards and then told him to go take up fishing,so to speak.

LONDON, England (CMC) — Fast-bowling star Jofra Archer says his snub by West Indies selectors for the 2014 Under-19 World Cup fueled his desire to represent England, and has once again shot down any suggestion of representing the Caribbean side.

The 22-year-old Barbadian featured in three matches for the Young Windies on Bangladesh Under-19's tour of the Caribbean in 2013, but failed to make the final cut for the World Cup staged in the United Arab Emirates the following year.

“It wasn't really anything to do with injuries,” Archer told the Times about his being overlooked.

“I wasn't selected, so I had to think about what to do next. Once I knew it was an option, it was an easy decision to move to England.”

He added: “I was angry with the West Indies, so that helped me with my decision to come and try to play for England.”

Link Text

Jumpstart 2019-07-11 19:40:55 

In reply to TheTrail

indeed. but then again, there was instability in the BCA for quite a while. And i dont expect cricket's version of an eloquent Idi Amin in Conde Riley to shed light on the issue.

But jofra did the right thing....i say that begrudgingly. CWI until skerrit was deeply unstable. Prime ministers were openly warring with the crap policies of hunte and hillaire and later the big idiot and his gang. The cwi would have turned him into a mediocre cricketer

natty_forever 2019-07-11 19:45:45 

In reply to allan

But Hetty, Pooran and Allen in the current WI senior team?
are they having a similar impact?

natty_forever 2019-07-11 19:47:50 

In reply to Priapus

That's not what he is highlighting. Both had back problems, one went to England and now on the world stage. The other stayed home and if you never said his name I wouldn't know who he is!

natty_forever 2019-07-11 19:49:35 

In reply to Jumpstart

CWI until skerrit was deeply unstable.
… kindly show evidence to back this up please. Don't be another, "because is my homie".

Jumpstart 2019-07-11 19:56:42 

In reply to natty_forever

no problem
Link Text
Link Text
Link Text
Link Text
want more ?