The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Breaking News! NZ Going to Court

tops 2019-07-14 21:21:18 

I hear they going to CCJ...
England did not win by an absolute majority... big grin lol

But, I would a prefer the WC be shared instead of coming down to how much boundaries hit. Well played both teams. NZ can hold their heads high, they did not lose...

Chrissy 2019-07-14 22:31:29 

In reply to tops

Agree 100% - the most fours is absolute rubbish - a run is a run.

NineMiles 2019-07-14 22:37:24 

In reply to Chrissy

Bwaaaahahahahahaha.............. razz lol lol

England in allyuh collective Pweffen! lol

FuzzyWuzzy 2019-07-14 22:38:42 

In reply to Chrissy

What if NZ had more than England?

tops 2019-07-14 22:45:30 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

What if NZ had more than England?

Talking for myself, my position would have been the same...
Even though this law is geared towards the West Indies... big grin big grin smile

Chrissy 2019-07-14 22:54:47 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy
I would have made the same comment - it is an arbitrary rule - a run is a freaking run. As I posted elsewhere we ignore many arbitrary rules including this one - because they are so rarely used. This one is asinine.
If football can have penalty kicks, then cricket can have super overs until a winner is decided.

imusic 2019-07-14 23:00:59 

Interesting that the spiritual home of the game, keeper of traditions, purists etc have mandated that total # of Boundaries scored would be the decider in a World Cup final.

More evidence that T20 ruleth the cricketing roost cool

NineMiles 2019-07-14 23:03:08 

In reply to imusic

Ahh, here comes the other hater... Let it burn you Suckers! razz

doosra 2019-07-14 23:06:03 

In reply to imusic

i didn't know t20 cricket invented boundaries

imusic 2019-07-15 00:19:33 

In reply to doosra

Remember that the next time you hold your nose while referring to it as “lickit cricket”

WIForever 2019-07-15 01:10:25 

They should. Umpire made wrong call in awarding 6 runs. It should have been 5 according to the law.

Dharmasena has had a shocking couple games.
Horrible umpiring decisions that had major impacts on games.

Chrissy 2019-07-15 01:23:51 

In reply to WIForever

Umpiring was bad during the entire World Cup.

doosra 2019-07-15 01:28:53 

In reply to imusic

that would be you trying to remain relevant with those halfarsed cricketers you support

goofballs 2019-07-15 01:51:57 

In reply to tops
We have our very own CC.Com court of justice where the arbitrary ruling is that everybody pelted us, cheated or have ICC mess we up.
Even with the boundary rule, why not sixes? We would have won that if Gayle and Russel were fit

and, you guessed it

If they didn’t pelt us out.

tops 2019-07-15 02:25:44 

In reply to goofballs
lol big grin big grin

anandgb 2019-07-15 02:39:33 

In reply to tops

lol lol lol

jelfew 2019-07-15 03:03:38 

To decide the wc by the team that hits the most 4 seem strange and stupid. Why not continue with the super over> How can one rate 4s over 6s in deciding? The super over seems fair and square.

NineMiles 2019-07-15 08:01:59 

Sour grapes razz

StumpCam 2019-07-15 08:21:18 

In reply to NineMiles

I can’t believe people are this dotish! The rule was not applied retroactively, it was there beforehand! Stop all the bellyaching nonsense!

Enjoy your win Ninesy! Long live the Queen! lol lol

Walco 2019-07-15 09:06:13 

In reply to Chrissy
I agree that they should have played super overs until one team scored more runs than the other, but those 2 super overs took forever with all the field changes and player conferences. I was somewhat of a disinterested observer until that accidental boundary off Stokes's bat. Then I wanted NZ to win.

hubert 2019-07-15 10:12:01 

In reply to Walco

I am just reading that the winner was decided by boundaries . Well well...Never thought that would be a tie breaker for a WC final.

But England under the rules would win anyway if they reverted to the league rules..they finished 3rd
and NZ ended 4th as semi finalsists.That would have made more sense. The Kiwis also let it slip despite some grave erros on their part and....also the umpiressmile.

I picked NZ to win before a ball was bowled in this WC. Of course I am not happy that England(The commonwealth team) won. But that is
cricket..the breaks(luck) went their way.
But this was an epic match and we should all be happy to have been a witness to it as in the Long run..CRICKET was the winner in a match for the ages. smile

Walco 2019-07-15 11:59:39 

In reply to hubert

The Kiwis also let it slip despite some grave erros on their part and....also the umpires

That lbw that was not given on the first ball of the match was huge. I am still trying to figure out how the ump did not give that one. The umpire's call rule is a joke. They should just figure out the actual margin of error for ball tracking and let the technology make lbw decisions. I doubt the margin of error is 1/2 a ball, which is the benchmark for umpire's call.

You are right about NZ making grave errors though. I thought the Boult catch near the end where he stepped on the boundary rope was huge. He could have knocked the ball back in to Taylor before stepping on the boundary.

Nonetheless I have not been that riveted to a TV screen watching two teams not name West Indies in my entire life smile

NineMiles 2019-07-15 12:05:40 

In reply to StumpCam

Long Live Great Britannia! Still ruling the waves.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. lol lol lol

Hellraiser 2019-07-15 12:34:47 

In reply to tops

I cant imagine 612 legal deliveries being bowled and the scores are still even. NZ can be proud of being part of a game I never thought was possible in T20 much less ODI.

I have never been riveted to the TV looking at a game which I was indifferent to the outcome.

At least I can say that now New Zealand and their fans know how I and many other West Indian supporters felt when Boult held that catch to dismiss Brathwaithe in Match #29.

Tryangle 2019-07-15 12:54:10 

In reply to Hellraiser

At least I can say that now New Zealand and their fans know how I and many other West Indian supporters felt when Boult held that catch to dismiss Brathwaithe in Match #29.

I get it, but it's not even in the same neighborhood. This is a championship on the line.

NZ losing the way they did... cruel, so cruel.

WestDem 2019-07-15 13:00:39 

An accidental incident decided the WC, sorry NZ was on the wrong side but history will have this as the Best World Cup finals ever! Both team were winners. Congratulations to England! cool

Hellraiser 2019-07-15 13:45:52 

In reply to Tryangle

but it's not even in the same neighborhood

I realize that the magnitude of the two games were not comparable by any stretch of imagination, but between match #29 and the finals, only one of those results crushed my West Indian soul.

In the "what ifs" video of the WC19 that was aired a week ago, the question was asked, "What if Brathwaithe's six was two feet higher?"
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Enough digressing from this epic CWC19 finals. I am happy for England but NZ was robbed by incompetent umpiring. Lack of interpretation of the rules by one of the most respected umpires in the ICC Elite Panel who has over 8 years international experience.

Tryangle 2019-07-15 13:51:20 

In reply to Hellraiser

Maybe a case could be made for the booth umpire to buzz the on-field umpires, instead of the other way around, when it comes to completed runs and the like. Because if Taufel, etc are correct then this qualifies as a howler.

FuzzyWuzzy 2019-07-15 13:58:13 

In reply to Tryangle

How many things can a live umpire track in real time. Taufel relied on studying footage hours after the fact

Hellraiser 2019-07-15 14:07:00 

In reply to Tryangle

Because if Taufel, etc are correct then this qualifies as a howler.

There is no IF about this. It was a howler. When Guptil released the ball, the batsmen has not crossed.

19.8 Overthrow or wilful act of fielder. If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder,the runs scored shall be any runs for penalties awarded to either side and the allowance for the boundary and the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had
already crossed at the instant of the throw or act.

Laws of Cricket 2017 Edition

cherri 2019-07-15 14:17:10 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

post deleted....

Man these people.....everybody at fault only because England win.......

tops 2019-07-15 14:31:31 

In reply to cherri
big grin big grin
England was my team to win B4 the WC started, the only thing, I didn't Xpect them to struggle so much.
The only wrong prediction, I had an England V India finals. big grin