The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Black Caps captain Kane Williamson 'shattered' after loss

sgtdjones 2019-07-15 00:29:52 

Black Caps captain Kane Williamson 'shattered' after loss

Moments after being named Player of the Tournament at the Cricket World Cup, Black Caps captain Kane Williamson opened up on the heartbreak in his camp.

England won the men's World Cup for the first time as they beat New Zealand following a dramatic sudden-death super over in one of the most thrilling matches in cricket history.

Both sides scored 241 from their 50 overs, meaning they had to bat again for six balls each.

England scored 15 in their super over. With two runs needed from their final ball to win, New Zealand batsman Martin Guptill scored one before being run out.

That meant the super over scores were tied, and England won the title after a wait of 44 years on virtue of having scored more boundaries in the match.

"Congratulations to England, Williamson said. "They've had a fantastic campaign and they deserved the victory. It's been challenging; the pitches have been different to what we expected. There weren't many 300+ scores. I'd like to thank our side for the fight and heart they showed to get us this far. It just wasn't meant to be today. The guys are shattered; it's truly devastating.

NZ Herald

Chrissy 2019-07-15 00:34:41 

In reply to sgtdjones

Me too - it was a tie cry cry

volcyz 2019-07-15 03:36:55 

I'd be shattered to after losing by 0 runs