The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Censured: Bigot-in-Chief

Casper 2019-07-17 05:33:13 

Trump is truly America’s Bigot-in-Chief

The US president’s bigotry has a political purpose: to distract voters and energise his base. He doesn’t care about the damage he might inflict in the process

Donald Trump’s agenda is to turn the clock back in the United States half a century, to a time when elected leaders spoke the language of white supremacy. Like Mr Trump, they did not use dog whistles. Until 1967, 17 states had laws banning interracial marriage. Mississippi did not vote to ratify the 13th amendment of the US constitution, which outlawed slavery, until 1995. Of course, legal segregation is a distant memory today, and race in America is not the chasm it once was. The country has had a black president and immigrants, white and non-white, have become rich and famous. Yet Mr Trump has, in a short space of time, remoulded the Republican party by excluding and gagging anyone who challenges him. This is no longer a question of the Republican leadership’s inability to deal with the president’s racism, but of its complicity in it

Mr Trump is an heir to the tradition of American failure on race, one which misunderstands or ignores the country’s fundamental premise that people, in the words of Martin Luther King, “not be judged by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character”. In business such racism might be deplored but considered a private affair. However, in office it is an understatement to say that a bigoted, misogynistic narcissist is unfit to be US president. Mr Trump has long thought that only white people can be considered truly citizens and that immigrants are only conditionally American. So it came as no surprise to hear the US president tell four female members of Congress, all of whom are not white, to “go back” to the countries “from which they came”.

In particular, Mr Trump chafes against the idea that the US constitution is colour blind. Last November he threatened to use an executive order to scrap the guarantee of birthright citizenship in the US. In doing so, he was seeking to take a wrecking ball to the US constitution. Its 14th amendment decrees that any person born in the country is a citizen, and that states may not “abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens”, or deprive them of “life, liberty, or property without due process of law”, or deny them the “equal protection of the laws”. His long record of racism leads one to conclude that Mr Trump thinks such safeguards in the country’s legal rule book should only apply to white people. White Christians are no longer the majority in America, but they’re still driving election resultsz

This is straight-up racism and resonates with the foundational idea of white nationalism that Mr Trump has long embraced. In deed and act Mr Trump violates the values the US aspires to uphold – equality under the law, religious liberty, equal protection, and protection from persecution – because he does not believe in them. Last weekend he authorised raids without warrants on thousands of families as part of his ongoing attempt to deport 11 million undocumented migrants, many of whom have lived in the country for years. This week he announced plans to end asylum on the US-Mexico border, which lawyers say will be found unlawful by the courts. Mr Trump’s actions are meant to be a constant reminder of who is in charge, and are a snub to the idea in respect of civil rights that all citizens are equal before the law.

nitro 2019-07-17 09:37:05 

In reply to Casper

VOTE!

Elections have consequences. Dont sit on your lazy ass, Vote!

Runs 2019-07-17 10:55:52 

When the history of the 116th Congress is written, Democrats will be recorded as having condemned a United States president for the first time in more than 100 years.

Chrissy 2019-07-17 11:01:57 

In reply to Casper
Tell me you saw the video with him welcoming Epstein at the party with the Buffalo Bills girls.
Too good

nitro 2019-07-17 11:05:03 

In reply to Chrissy
Nothing wrong with hosting girls.

VIX 2019-07-17 12:48:25 

In reply to Casper

Vote him out come next election! vote him out!! lol lol

Drapsey 2019-07-17 13:16:35 

In reply to Chrissy

Tell me you saw the video with him welcoming Epstein at the party with the Buffalo Bills girls.

And all Billy got was a simple everyday consensual BJ, yet he was impeached.

Go figure.

carl0002 2019-07-17 14:14:08 

In reply to Runs

When the history of the 116th Congress is written, Democrats will be recorded as having condemned a United States president for the first time in more than 100 years.

You think that really matters to a man who will do, say, anything to win the presidency to keep himself out of jail?

We all knew that Donald Trump and the Republican party is a racist bunch. We just have them on record now. Nothing new. I am more worried about what is not being talked about at this point. What is this current diversion is hiding. Why the attempt to change the news cycle once again. That is more concerning and disconcerting if you ask me..

Runs 2019-07-17 14:15:29 

In reply to carl0002

What is this current diversion is hiding. Why the attempt to change the news cycle once again. That is more concerning and disconcerting if you ask me..

I am wondering the same also.
cool

carl0002 2019-07-17 14:28:24 

In reply to Runs
The fact that it worked is even more troubling. 3 days now that is the only thing on the news stations, news papers, front and center. We fall for it all the time. Meanwhile something slipping through the backdoor and Nancy Pelosi with this tame vote which the president is now calling a win anyway cuz only 4 republicans voted for it. Failure to recognize that Trump will never admit anything, will Deny everything but will find a way to to attack you from the most vilest of positions, will be the downfall of the Democrats. And then when it gets close to election he will pivot like the thief that he is and watch how the Democrats will be caught off guard.

Runs 2019-07-17 14:32:41 

In reply to carl0002

You do have some valid points, however the vote to condemn racist speech was good governance, whenever a branch steps out of bounds it is imperative that another calls it out for the checks and balances system to work.
This guy is beyond shameless and will do anything to stay in power, remember SDNY has a date with him if he does not. cool

tigga 2019-07-17 14:34:34 

Censured - is this a centurion insurance? For a moment I thought be a jerk but lucky I look it up. Good choice of word buddy. lol

jacksprat 2019-07-17 15:02:07 

In reply to nitro

Nothing wrong with hosting girls.

The authorities seem to disagree, which is why Epstein is now their unwilling guest!

nitro 2019-07-17 15:04:49 

In reply to jacksprat

Those are under age girls.

embsallie 2019-07-17 16:56:42 

In reply to nitro

You did not mention"under age" girls in your post.
You like other Republicans are probably just like Trump and Epstein.
Deep down you guys harbor the same thoughts. Birds of a feather I tell you.

Ewart 2019-07-17 17:28:02 

In reply to carl0002

What is this current diversion is hiding. Why the attempt to change the news cycle once again...

This was set up to hide Mueller's testimony which was to have begun on Monday.

The Dems read the play and put off Mueller....

wink

//

SnoopDog 2019-07-17 17:30:51 

In reply to Ewart

The Dems read the play and put off Mueller....

Sounds more like it was the Dotard's play to sucker the Dems and the news-cycle with his racists shit to put off Mueller's testimony for yet another week....month....year...

carl0002 2019-07-17 18:16:26 

In reply to Ewart
With all due respect I am not so sure that these Democrats are that politically astute to make an attempt to thwart anything that the Donald throws at them, especially when Dotard is already 2-3 plays ahead of them. Even a likkle legal clerk and a model already run rings around these Democrats and absolutely nothing came out of it. You watch, this Mueller testimony is going to be postponed and postponed and wont amount to anything by the time Barr, Trump and Mueller himself is done with it. And the Democrats won't do a darn thing but pass more silly symbolic motions. Hope I am wrong.

Well, it will soon be time for another news cycle shift and democrats and news media will be led down another Rabbit hole.

shock

Casper 2019-07-17 19:20:20 

In reply to Chrissy

I saw it, and you could see him planning with Epstein on how they could go and “grab them by the p***y”