The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Archer proved to me once and for all

deanjones 2019-08-19 03:04:13 

That the West Indies sides of the 80's and 90's were the greatest ever. We had 4 Archers. Look at what just one Archer did to a guy who is averaging over 60 in test cricket.

methodic 2019-08-19 03:15:21 

In reply to deanjones

correct

che 2019-08-19 04:00:59 

In reply to deanjones

We had 4 Archers.

rong... 4 pon park nedda 8 in wings riding pine

lol lol lol

Khaga 2019-08-19 04:38:54 

He proved to me beyond any trace of doubt that those sides were the most savage ever!

robbo 2019-08-19 06:20:24 

In reply to deanjones

Yep.... absolutely correct

Larr Pullo 2019-08-19 08:21:09 

Archer is three of them rolled into one. Holding's Pace, but more frightening, Roberts disguised bounce, and Marshall's canniness, including command over swing and movement off the deck, allied with frightening pace. In his first spell in this test match he kept rapping the Aussie opener in the nads; at the time he was only clocking about 86 and the batsman was having all kinds of issues laying bat on ball.

If T Archer remains healthy, I have no doubt he will be ranked amongst the greatest fast bowles ever!

robbo 2019-08-19 08:35:50 

In reply to Larr Pullo

I hate to make predictions because they can (and often do) come back to bite you but what I saw from Archer in this test was exceptional...that was not a fast or bouncy or dangerous wicket (it was slightly... only slightly.. two paced) but at times Archer was unplayable... he took ‘only’ 5 wickets in the match but in truth could easily have had 3 or 4 more.

Not only is his pace through the air quick but he really gets something out of the wicket.. his short balls home in on the batsman’s chest/neck area causing them real problems... he bowls the ‘nip backer’ regularly and should take a number of wickets with this bearing in mind the number of batsmen in world cricket that leave a gate when not moving their feet.

There will be many tests (in every sense) to come but he is the most promising bowler that I have seen for many years.

robbo 2019-08-19 08:38:20 

And that spell against Smith & Cummins was one of the most compelling sessions of cricket that I have ever seen....only test cricket can provide this.

analyst-kid 2019-08-19 08:44:55 

It also emphasize a point I always used to make: The Australian side of the late 70s with Laird Wood Ian and Greg Chappell, Border Hughes Marsh Lillee Thompson and Pascoe was one of the strongest sides ever and it took threatening pace from Roberts Holding Croft and Garner to tame them. With only Warner and Smith that pace attack would bowl Australia out under 150 to 200 consistently.

robbo 2019-08-19 08:49:25 

In reply to analyst-kid

Totally agree

laynew 2019-08-19 09:25:47 

In reply to deanjones

It just annoys the hell out of me that the best bowler we have produced for a decade is playing for England.

Same as I suspect that the best Irish cricketer (Morgan), South African (Petersen) and New Zealander (Stokes) are playing for England.

How are we (West Indies) ever to get competitive if our best players are being poached by the better teams. I know management and remuneration has a lot to do with it, but the teams with the least resources seem to suffer most. You don't see many of Australia or India's best players being poached by England

StumpCam 2019-08-19 09:47:05 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Apart from maybe Wasim Akram, Archer is the best bowler I’ve ever seen with that mastery of pace, bounce and swing plus that knuckle ball.

hawk 2019-08-19 10:59:42 

I don't comment much on Archer, but this relates t our players

His development should confirm to us that our teams of the 70s and 80s were developed in the England professional circuit, when that was cut off our decline began

we are not developing our players to world class status, plenty of players were better than him at the U19 level

enough with the spinners. we need to focus to getting a strong four prong fast bowling machine

Larr Pullo 2019-08-19 12:21:50 

In reply to StumpCam

Seeing Archer, reminds me of the first time I saw Sylvester Clarke live. He came in to the test time during the Packer strike by the main players and he came off this short, slightly bowlegged, ambling run up and then he released the ball and it was like HOLY SHITE that was fast!!! The ball was through to the keeper before the batsman played his shot.... lol lol lol

If you look at the video of him hitting Smith and his replacement, the ball was on them before they had a chance to react. They might have to lengthen the pitch when Archer bowls to give batsmen more time.... shock shock

StumpCam 2019-08-19 12:34:46 

In reply to Larr Pullo

When I saw the replay in real time speed, I was like, holy shit..that was fast! shock

Larr Pullo 2019-08-19 12:47:45 

In reply to StumpCam

All I wanna know is when do they play India? Kholi vs Archer will be a battle for the ages... smile

spider 2019-08-19 13:09:29 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Archer is exciting but Marshall's command of swing was exceptional. Archer is nowhere close in that regard.

Khaga 2019-08-19 13:18:13 

In reply to spider

It's his first test. We will find out more in due course of time.

natty_forever 2019-08-19 13:29:11 

In reply to che

English please. lol lol lol

spider 2019-08-19 13:30:49 

In reply to Khaga

Jimmy Anderson's command of swing was probably comparable to Marshall's, maybe Bhuvneshwar Kumar's too. Archer has never exhibited anything like that kind of skill. But you are right, he is young and could develop that kind of quality. It is left to be seen.

natty_forever 2019-08-19 13:35:06 

In reply to spider

Thank JAH he is in a system that will assist him in being better. Our system makes players worse!

seaegg99 2019-08-19 13:43:03 

In reply to natty_forever

Thank JAH he is in a system that will assist him in being better. Our system makes players worse!

This!

Larr Pullo 2019-08-19 14:07:43 

In reply to spider

Did you see his first spell?

StumpCam 2019-08-19 14:09:41 

In reply to spider

Not just swing, Archer can pretty much do anything he wanted to do effortlessly with control and accuracy.

robbo 2019-08-19 14:20:38 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Ahhh....Sylvester Clarke.... saw him live a few times at the Oval in the 80’s.... sometimes medium paced but when in the mood exceptionally fast....absolutely feared on the county circuit during those times.... David Gower said that Clarke bowled him the fastest ball that he ever faced.... he didn’t see it & it tore part of his glove off !

jen 2019-08-19 14:22:11 

Jofra Archer:

Pace - Yes
Accruacy - Yes
Away movement - Yes
Inward movement - Yes
Deadly bounder - Yes
Searing Yorker - Yes

Archer is as close to being the most perfect fast bowler. The man rapped the pads a lot but I also saw so many deliveries that moved away from the right handers. Normally you find bowlers generally being able to only move it in one direction but he's doing it in both at such a young age and with immaculate control.

England gotta take caution of not over bowling him, seeing that he has already had a side strain or two before.

StumpCam 2019-08-19 14:35:51 

In reply to jen

Thank you! Sometimes you have to break it down to kindergarten level for people to understand! lol lol

Kay 2019-08-19 14:40:59 

In reply to spider

Jimmy Anderson's command of swing was probably comparable to Marshall's, maybe Bhuvneshwar Kumar's too. Archer has never exhibited anything like that kind of skill. But you are right, he is young and could develop that kind of quality. It is left to be seen.

I think the English skipper agrees with you.

"It's pleasing to see someone come in on Test debut, shake up things and live up to the hype - even some of the hype he put on himself. It makes for a very interesting last three games. He makes things happen with such a unique action and natural pace, which is always in the game on any surface. That with the skill of the others, makes for a tasty combo."

Root

mkcharles 2019-08-19 14:57:34 

In reply to hawk

Archer went to BIM U15 trials as spinner and only started bowling pace after 15. What that meant is that he wasn't monitored through the normal age group channels and hence was largely not on the radar of the junior selectors in Barbados.

When he emerged at U19 trials he was not picked in his first year of eligibility again because he was largely an unknown quantity. By the time he was picked in his final year of eligibility there was no one doubting that he was a very talented 3 dimensional cricketer.

If you along with Butts and co. are still inclined to feel that Ray Jordan, McSween or Jones who were the WIU19 picks at the time were more naturally gifted than Archer the cricketer after the regional tournament that year then that says everything.

Fortunately some of us follow and even attend these tournaments. Have a conversation with anyone who played in that U19 regional tournament and everyone remembers Archer. He was left out on the basis of a one off practice series prior to the World Cup.

That’s what we do. We can’t spot an elephant in the middle of the plains on a safari unless someone tells there it is. Even now we had an aborted 2019 U19 tournament and we pick an arbitrary 24 boys and put them through “trials” and somehow based on those arbitrary results we will pick a team for the WC.

runout 2019-08-19 15:07:27 

Were people here not knocking Jofra for playing for England???

How easily they come now singing his praise? He is a special talent, and he was properly groomed by the Pommies for his career.

People needs to be measured. Anyone remembers Rabada? Remember he was going to be a game changer...pace and bounce? So what happened to coach Gibbo? He got sacked. SA didn't qualify for the Semis. They are not even competing for any of the major tournaments.

Let pray that Jofra brings the Pommies to prominence....otherwise???

carl0002 2019-08-19 15:21:58 

Archer's debut was exceptional no doubt. It was both exciting to watch and disappointing in a sense. But let us enjoy in anguish the young mans performance and not heap all kinds of unnecessary stuff on his shoulders after 1 test match.

robbo 2019-08-19 16:05:34 

In reply to mkcharles

You do have to wonder how many promising players have been/will be ‘missed’ in this short sighted system...you are there MK and you talk so much sense in relation to this....something really needs to change.

natty_forever 2019-08-19 16:10:15 

In reply to runout

Were people here not knocking Jofra for playing for England???

How easily they come now singing his praise? He is a special talent, and he was properly groomed by the Pommies for his career.
… mutually exclusive. big grin

natty_forever 2019-08-19 16:11:17 

In reply to runout

Let pray that Jofra brings the Pommies to prominence....otherwise???
… why?

runout 2019-08-19 16:13:42 

It will be said that HE DIDN'T GET THE JOB DONE!!!!

Do you remember this statement?

hawk 2019-08-19 16:18:11 

In reply to mkcharles

If you along with Butts and co. are still inclined to feel that Ray Jordan, McSween or Jones who were the WIU19 picks at the time were more naturally gifted than Archer the cricketer after the regional tournament that year then that says everything.

please do no list me with Butts and whoever else,

I don't have any details to say if he was or wasn't monitored, that is not my contention

all i am saying Archer is good because Archer was developed in England, i am positive we had players in his age group some may have been better, some may have been worse and some on par with him (not important either) at the U19 level, look at where he is today versus his contemporaries, miles ahead

my main point is we are not developing our players

whether or not we can spot talent is also irrelevant, as long as he was developing he would have been spotted even if missed at the U19 level

natty_forever 2019-08-19 16:19:39 

In reply to runout

Well it takes a team effort more times than not to win a test match. Is only West Indian fans have forgotten this.

natty_forever 2019-08-19 16:20:14 

In reply to hawk

We are not. It would appear we do not know how.

mkcharles 2019-08-19 16:25:18 

In reply to robbo

Many have been left out...many many many

mkcharles 2019-08-19 16:35:35 

In reply to hawk

I’m saying to you Archer was known to all and sundry certainly in BIM as far back as 2014. Why he was not picked is semantics by idiots who need to hold up their hands and say ‘I got it wrong’.

This was not a kid that needed developing by anyone. This was a kid that had a few problems that just needed to be told that he was wanted and had a place to play cricket. Let’s see what happens with Alzarri Joseph.

England rehabilitated Jofra Archer and gave him a chance to play in their system, but make no mistake, they did not DEVELOP his talent one bit. Do you think if Anderson was fit those fcukers would have played him? Anderson, Wood, Ollie Stone and the other blue eye boys would have had the look in.

The whole of England and the world have NOW finally understood what they have on their hands.

natty_forever 2019-08-19 16:39:15 

In reply to mkcharles

England rehabilitated Jofra Archer and gave him a chance to play in their system, but make no mistake, they did not DEVELOP his talent one bit. Do you think if Anderson was fit those fcukers would have played him? Anderson, Wood, Ollie Stone and the other blue eye boys would have had the look in.

Am confused.

runout 2019-08-19 16:41:29 

In reply to hawk

Lets put things into perspective by looking at Shety. When we say we are not developing players we need to be a bit more specific as to what areas of development is lacking.
With Shety, there is no shortage of talent. But his mental game is missing.

However our fans believes that Shety's name should be at the top of the list for every game. For me he should be playing A-Team games...build his mental game and then come back to the senior team.

The talent is there...however they say you can take the horse to the well, but you can't make him drink.

Narper 2019-08-19 16:44:39 

I cant believe all this rant and rave after ONE test match.

Give the 24 year old kid a break to develop...there would be times when he would not find a helpful pitch....then what?

I have been on this board long enough to know some of the same skunts here heaping praise will be among the first to start cussing Archer

Only recently in the WC when Archer bowled 10 overs for 80+ runs and some started to cuss him.

Look how people on this board already cussing Oshane Thomas

mkcharles 2019-08-19 16:49:48 

In reply to hawk

...another point, you are aware that the most talented players don’t always play senior cricket? We need to understand that these teams that are picked are the personal domains of captains, coaches and management and many good players get overlook because of biases.

BIM has a successful regional record but some of their dressing room stories could not be told in public.

Players of talent don’t get missed, they are simply not picked.

if Chris Jordan for example was fully integrated into the Barbados team a few years back there may have been as many as two current West Indies players that would not now have their current lofty job title. It suited a lot of people when the lad returned to England.

mkcharles 2019-08-19 16:55:38 

The English System as in Sussex gave him the opportunity, but even up until this series and after the World Cup there were mutterings on high as to whether he was still the real deal.

After the Ireland test Broad and Woakes plus Anderson were pencilled in for the series.

hawk 2019-08-19 17:25:39 

It would appear we do not know how.

agreed...it is quite evident, and we need to understand why before we can fix it

hawk 2019-08-19 17:28:44 

In reply to runout

isn't the mental game part and parcel of development???

Shety played in the same U19 world cup as Pant, look at the difference between the two now

runout 2019-08-19 17:34:57 

In reply to hawk

The question is how do you develop a player's mental game? Isn't the player responsible for his development at some stage. Shot selection, I am afraid, is not one such thing that can be developed.. That comes with discipline.

Look SHety was blowing hot, and then he was anointed as a star in the IPL. What happened, he was dropped due to his failures. Shety went to the WC. He flopped, but wasn't dropped. Our cupboard is bare. He plays against India and also flopped. His shot selection is atrocious.

hawk 2019-08-19 17:36:21 

In reply to mkcharles

England rehabilitated Jofra Archer and gave him a chance to play in their system, but make no mistake, they did not DEVELOP his talent one bit.

this is contradictory statement, rehabilitating and playing in their system is developing

nonetheless i am not here to comment specifically on Archer, he does not play for or represent the West Indies what england do or don't with him at this stage is between him and them. i am only interested in the development of west indies cricketers, which is lacking

what is want is for us to realised that we have not been preparing our players for International cricket effectively, we need to figure why this is happening and seek to fix with alacrity and urgency

hawk 2019-08-19 17:39:43 

In reply to runout

in the 70s and 80s we have Rudy Webster working on that aspect of players game, this need to be inculcated at the junior level, agreed the player must be able to make good choices in relation to shot selection, but if he does know how this can be taught and fashioned before they reach first class level, i believe all our first class players should be test ready, hard to lose test matches when you first class tournament is test standard

runout 2019-08-19 18:00:36 

In reply to hawk

I believe that the competition vying for the limited spaces in the WI team was what contributed to the players discipline and focus.

Today anyone with some FC runs walks into the WI team - especially if they are hyped, since there is no competition.

natty_forever 2019-08-19 18:03:44 

In reply to runout

… even when there is competition.

natty_forever 2019-08-19 18:07:13 

In reply to Narper

Give the 24 year old kid a break to develop...there would be times when he would not find a helpful pitch....then what?
… was there ever such a pitch to Malcolm Marshall? I feel when you have bouncers, Yorkers, in-swingers and out-swingers, you will neutralize most pitches. He still learning to boot.

sgtdjones 2019-08-19 18:20:04 

In reply to deanjones

The English have a system that works.

They play numerous games in various formats in their County Cricket.

They also have a county cricket system 2, that prepares players for County Cricket.

Each Team is staffed by professional coaches and Administration.

Our Greatest players honed their games in this system and Shield Cricket in Australia.They even invited our best to play in such leagues, allowing them to become better players.You’ve got to do the work if you want to see results, learning from failure and persistence.

WICB has never had such a system , we pick players on ability , then when playing against such honed players we see the flaws. Our players never had guidance over months
under coaches to detect flaws and correct them.

Strange WICB does the same thing over and over, expecting better results. See why we are at the bottom of all standings.

Ancora imparo. A tiny reminder that I’m still learning, always learning.
MICHELANGELO

openning 2019-08-19 18:24:49 

In reply to Narper

Look how people on this board already cussing Oshane Thomas

Players like Thomas and the Net-bowler are lucky to be selected ahead of more talented youngster.
Barbados lose a talented fast bowler over the selection of Fidel Edwards, we are seeing Thomas being selected ahead of Pestano, Louie and Holder.
These three youngsters, are as talented as they come, they just need the right inmoriment, surrounded by a good management team, that will assist them.
Management team as in a nutritionist, coaches, trainers and phycologist.

Narper 2019-08-19 18:26:50 

was there ever such a pitch to Malcolm Marshall? I feel when you have bouncers, Yorkers, in-swingers and out-swingers, you will neutralize most pitches. He still learning to boot.

Dont get me wrong...the kid is very good...I expect him to do well

But my post is directed to the usual suspects here on this thread....who will tear him apart as soon as he falters

seaegg99 2019-08-19 18:28:57 

In reply to mkcharles

.another point, you are aware that the most talented players don’t always play senior cricket? We need to understand that these teams that are picked are the personal domains of captains, coaches and management and many good players get overlook because of biases

Been saying this for years about Barbados Cricket. The Name Brand thing is really killing good young players. C Jordan should have made Bim's team years ago before Cummins. To sit and watch the two of them play and not see the difference in potential was numbing. Even if he was geared for the shorter forms of the game the talent was there to be developed. He bowled at pace, batted well and was a great fielder. He also could read the game well. Something so lacking in our cricket these past years. The idiot powers that be have basically destroyed cricket and should all be removed.

Narper 2019-08-19 18:29:35 

In reply to openning

I used Oshane Thomas as an example....some posters here were raving about his pace....now the same ones are cussing him

Same they did with Alzarri Joseph

That is the point I want to make

openning 2019-08-19 18:34:38 

In reply to Narper
Bro, you know too well how posters are.
I did not like the selection of Fidel over Jason Bennett, and I just don't like the selection of Thomas.
He is unfit to start with.

mkcharles 2019-08-19 18:40:25 

In reply to openning

Exactly...the process by which we select teams is what is part of the problem.

Too many get fast tracked to FC and then to Wi based on which coach they associated with or who endorses them.

Thomas for example ia now having a problem at the highest level because you don’t get out FC batsmen solely on the endorsement of a few big scalp T20 bats. He has two basic deliveries, what are his 3rd and 4th deliveries in his armory?. Has the lad even bowled 1000 balls in his whole life including nets and yet we expect miracles?

Too many of our players are undercooked because at every level they are elevated before they are ready. When the runs or wickets dry up they find it hard because they either don’t have a basic understanding of their games to make the correction or don’t know where to turn to for help.

Joffra Archer proved through 2 full seasons with Siusex that he can play both long form and short form cricket so no one had to make a calculated hunch. it was only ever about if those folks had the will to pick him.

mkcharles 2019-08-19 18:50:28 

In reply to seaegg99

Jordan’s pick would have pulled up too many trees.

It’s the same way why Ashley gets a pick every time. He is one of the lads. Or why the guys would be loathe to leave Carlos at home for the WC.

There is and has alway been a natural order.

That worked in the past but with so many things for young people to do, many no longer feel the need to play high level cricket because of the futility of it all. This has largely affected the overall standard of our club cricket.

Larr Pullo 2019-08-19 19:06:20 

In reply to mkcharles

Good points. How about Cummins? I saw him in FC a few years ago and I turned to my pardna and said that he seemed to have what it takes to play at the top level. He was pacey, and was able to run in and sustain his pace for long spells. Since then he hasn't kicked on and has been sidelined for player like Thomas who I think is not ready for the top level of cricket.

What is going on with Cummins and why hasn't he progressed?

I also think Chemar Holder has a lot of upside and should be given opportunities if not in the Barbados team, in some other team so that he could get his reps in.

hawk 2019-08-19 19:07:28 

In reply to sgtdjones

They play numerous games in various formats in their County Cricket.

They also have a county cricket system 2, that prepares players for County Cricket.

Each Team is staffed by professional coaches and Administration.

Our Greatest players honed their games in this system and Shield Cricket in Australia.They even invited our best to play in such leagues, allowing them to become better players.You’ve got to do the work if you want to see results, learning from failure and persistence.

WICB has never had such a system , we pick players on ability , then when playing against such honed players we see the flaws. Our players never had guidance over months
under coaches to detect flaws and correct them.

Strange WICB does the same thing over and over, expecting better results. See why we are at the bottom of all standings.

well said sarge, this is what needs addressing with urgency, how do we model such a system in the caribbean now that we no longer have access to the English system, unless a player choses Kolpak or pledges allegiance to the three lions, our system is not working and will not work, we haven't won a game since beating Afghanistan, our "A" is miles behind India

Larr Pullo 2019-08-19 19:12:13 

In reply to sgtdjones

Don't know about that. The English were complaining a few years ago that the county system was not getting players ready for the top level and they implemented the England Lions program which tours and spends time as a unit getting players ready for Test and ODI cricket.

mkcharles 2019-08-19 19:30:19 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Two and a half seasons ago Cummins was bowling well and that was a fact.

I don’t know what happens when they go into the WI setup. Everyone seems to come out a shadow. This is not a now thing for I remember well the likes of Patterson Thompson and Adrian Griffith. No world beaters but two honest, whole hearted players. After their stint you wouldn’t have even picked them for your village team.

Apart from Chemar Holder, the 2016 u19 graduation class includes Paul, Springer, Thomas, Alzarri, McCoy, Keon Harding, Drakes, McCoy. Something is fundamentally wrong that this crop of 18 years old who would collectively be as good a crop as any anywhere in world and including Mars we are yet to see one of them making a long-standing impression.

sgtdjones 2019-08-19 19:32:29 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Its better than anything we gats ...just look at the improvement of Archer?Interesting isn't it ....now two seasons in the English leagues and Archer?

Can you see Angel bowling 5 balls at the wicket in one over?,impossible.
Can he think to bowl change ups or a slower ball?

As a bowler did he learn cutters or a knuckleball?
Can he read the wicket?

Nope its pace like fyre, where did he learn such from?

Archer looks like he got a brain....how many of our bowlers have one?

mkcharles 2019-08-19 19:39:46 

In reply to sgtdjones

Sarge...is the “improvement” because of England or is it now that the lad has finally been given his platform he has let his talent do the talking?

The bigger the stage the bigger the big day player or so it has been said.

I want us to stop saying he has improved. From what? From what we saw on the evidence of a few ODIs and T20s when he was bowling within himself to contain batsmen? He was shown the knuckle ball in the IPL.

We should instead be saying now that he has his platform we and the world is seeing what has always been there except that everyone seemed to have missed it. The lad has repeatedly said for a long time that red ball cricket is his thing but no one was listening.

sgtdjones 2019-08-19 19:40:48 

In reply to hawk

well said sarge, this is what needs addressing with urgency, how do we model such a system in the caribbean now that we no longer have access to the English system,

Some teams in the English leagues are losing money or just breaking even. We have been paying 120 players a monthly sum to keep the WIPA President in Office.

Why can't we take such sums and pay the English First and second Division leagues, to take our U19 players to the next level. To correct errors and improve, one must play at least 5 days per week, real game conditions..

Not Practice at an HPC. WE had an HPC how many world beaters did it produce.

WE keep repeating what we have done for over two decades
and now are at the bottom of the rankings.Obviously it didn't work.

sgtdjones 2019-08-19 19:47:42 

In reply to mkcharles

WE dont have any bowler who can duplicate what Archer did
Bowl 40 overs in a test and not be injured?

WE dont have any bowler who can bowl and hit the stumps
5 times in an over?

How many no balls did Archer bowl....we dont have any bowler with such discipline?

WE dont have any bowler who can read a wicket and adjust on the field of play..its whatever was planned and we stick to it, irregardless, if it was wrong.

When bowling to Smith, Archer had a field set and a plan.
Such tactics are immune to West Indian bowlers. Its pace like fyar and short balls.

WE do the above consistently expecting different results.
The World Cup comes to mind....brainless preparation.

natty_forever 2019-08-19 20:15:00 

In reply to Narper

Got'cha!

natty_forever 2019-08-19 20:20:24 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Well my recommended system requires a few A team tours before being elevated to the senior team.

Larr Pullo 2019-08-19 20:28:16 

Lions don't do tours in the traditional sense, the entire squad will go to say India for a few months and just work on batting against spinners in spinning conditions. They focus on learning to play in all conditions so that by the time they move up they have a full understanding of what is required.

Runs 2019-08-19 20:28:24 

In reply to sgtdjones

You on fire Sarge, excellent posts

Poggy 2019-08-19 20:40:55 

[b]In reply to
It is also an indication how good the opposing teams were. Having to face 90 overs from highly skilled top pace bowlers

Poggy 2019-08-19 20:45:35 

In reply to hawk

Yet still we have a policy that our players must play in our league in order to qualify for selection. 🙄

mkcharles 2019-08-19 21:02:14 

In reply to sgtdjones

All true...

But what I want to get across is that Archer is perhaps a generational talent.

Sure he would have had the benefit of the think tank in whatever setting he was exposed to be it England, Sussex, the franchises, but they did not develop what you see at 24 years of age in any substantial way.

It is the reason why the brilliantly intelligent and talented young man that was his mentor in Chris Jordan could only take his own talent to a certain level. These systems cannot develop anyone above the ceiling of their ability but they can however provide the best environment for optimim performance.

Has anyone see the modern day version of Fidel Edwards bowling in English domestic cricket? Same young man, same bowling mechanics but looking a completely different bowler albeit against lesser quality than at International
Level. No one developed him. He was simply afforded the opportunity to play in a top class setup, with top class facilities with professionals. When you add in that it is basically pay as you play to eat food these guys quickly watch a learn what is required of them. The talent and ability has always been there.

hawk 2019-08-19 21:26:44 

In reply to sgtdjones

Why can't we take such sums and pay the English First and second Division leagues, to take our U19 players to the next level. To correct errors and improve, one must play at least 5 days per week, real game conditions..

this would work initially, but i would still want us to come up a home grown way of taking our players to test standard, even if it is an U23 semi pro league

hawk 2019-08-19 21:28:47 

In reply to Poggy

put policy aside for now, we looking for something that will work

sgtdjones 2019-08-19 22:10:40 

In reply to mkcharles

It is the reason why the brilliantly intelligent and talented young man that was his mentor in Chris Jordan could only take his own talent to a certain level.

MY observation Archer made best use of his opportunity, Jordan didn't. Archer wanted to succeed when he was cast aside.

It's the same motivation our former greats had to put a beat down on the English.

All of our U19 players have the same potential, the ones with that extra will succeed. The others will fall to the wayside.We dont have a system to help them to the next level.the amazing part we have been doing it for over two decades and no one realized it.

One must remember our Selectors chose not to have Archer,
how many Archers slipped thru their hands, but did not have his opportunity of an English father?

The coach should mention to his batsmen, dont come back unless( in a game) you have faced 50 balls in T20.

In ODI's ...100 balls

Test 100 balls.

The above should be the minimum that is expected of the batsmen.

Teach the bowlers how to read the wicket and the lengths they should bowl on such.

Forget pace like fyar at the U19 level get 5 balls to hit that wicket. Learn the variations as a bowler, learn when to change as the wicket allows. As a Bowler you must have 6 different types to send down that wicket. All it takes is practice.

If a wicket is dead learn to adapt and get the best out of it, if you have the various types to send down at a batsman.

T20 and quick money will not make good cricket players,
they aren't hungry enough, they just need to play 12 weeks for enough money for bling , Range Rovers etc.

WE have no home grown system that will take them to the next level.

mkcharles 2019-08-20 01:46:08 

In reply to sgtdjones

Archer has a higher ceiling of talent and hence achievement irrespective of the best will in the world by a Jordan.

I played on the same cricket field as Brian Lara in 1986 and in one innings it was clear that he was not a mortal like the rest of us. Never did I see before such quick feet and hands.

Archer will be a winner yes because he has the will and determination to so do so. That comes from having the talent to back up the swagger and the hype.

Other mortals only get by through dint of hard work and then some more hard work and sheer perseverance and then you need good fortune. That’s what missing in our boys...work ethic and professionalism. That’s what missing in our boys because that is what our system does not promote.

Trinidave 2019-08-20 03:14:28 

Great thread. Something else about Archer. He hits a lot of batsmen, even when he's not bowling at his quickest. Very deceptive.

nitro 2019-08-20 10:21:11 

In reply to deanjones

Archer game is more in line with Glen McGrath who had more skill than anyone in the 4 prong.

Wally-1 2019-08-20 11:51:11 

One Swallow doesnt a summer make

mkcharles 2019-08-20 11:58:47 

In reply to Wally-1

No it doesn't but supposing you have observed his skill set, does he or does he not seem to have a high ceiling in terms of talent?

I'm not talking about the speed gun, but what he brings as an overall package in terms of talent, confidence, know how, desire/determination and professionalism?

nitro 2019-08-20 12:26:44 

In reply to Wally-1

Mi Neighbor, you alive bro. Great.

sgtdjones 2019-08-20 14:40:20 

In reply to mkcharles

That’s what missing in our boys...work ethic and professionalism. That’s what missing in our boys because that is what our system does not promote.

Ok tell me something....you have a job, does your professionalism and work ethic not stand out ?.
Did your employer teach you such or was it inwardly motivated by yourself, so you can climb the ladder to success.

Now why should any entity teach such to cricket players.
If players dont have such concepts, get rid of them move on. Archer had that lil extra, something lacking in quite a few of our players.

That lil extra makes them stand out, they want to keep on learning and constantly seeking advice.
Caribbean players are bling boys and hard headed know it all.....we have seen such over two decades.

Yet, we haven't learned, we keep repeating the same thing, expecting different results.

See why we are bottom feeders.

runout 2019-08-20 15:04:37 

In reply to sgtdjones

Somebody told Steve Smith to have throw-downs for hours late into the night. Even having his wife working in the nets with him.

Same with Shiv. He spent hours in the nets with the bowling machine.

Virat and company, they work at their game.

Talent is one thing. Game situation, match awareness, and shot selection are all part of batsmanship and professionalism.

Anyways sarge...why don't you open a school to teach Windian players professionalism? lol lol lol lol

Don't forget my fees for the tip.

natty_forever 2019-08-20 15:07:12 

In reply to runout

Game situation, match awareness, and shot selection are all part of batsmanship and professionalism.

How throw downs help with "game situation, match awareness"?

runout 2019-08-20 15:12:13 

I am sure that in the nets game situation and match awareness would not apply razz, however it does help with muscle memory, and shot selection, stamina, concentration and execution.

sgtdjones 2019-08-20 15:17:54 

In reply to runout

Anyways sarge...why don't you open a school to teach Windian players professionalism?

The blings will slow them down and
the diamond earings will hider any advice
going to the vacant spot between the ear lobes.

rolleyes

natty_forever 2019-08-20 15:20:11 

In reply to runout

That's addressing only half then. Where we fall down more, as you are assuming these boys are not throwing down, is the game awareness part.

natty_forever 2019-08-20 15:20:49 

In reply to sgtdjones

Chains not new, Sarge.

doublecentury 2019-08-21 10:24:02 

In reply to laynew

1.west indies didn’t produce him

2 England didn’t poach him

sudden 2019-08-21 11:30:22 

OZ-1, Eng-nil

Barry 2019-08-21 11:47:06 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Very good post smile

Barry 2019-08-21 11:51:33 

In reply to Trinidave

Andy Roberts hit many for Hampshire
Link Text big grin

robbo 2019-08-21 15:31:03 

In reply to Barry

Excellent article. People are aware of how good Roberts was but I’m not sure that that they are properly aware of just how quick he was... in his early days he was capable of exceptional pace.... he truly was an outstanding bowler.

mkcharles 2019-08-21 19:20:53 

In reply to sgtdjones

Sarge, I've observe the system up close certainly in BIM so I can only speak about what I know.

From an early age these boys are only developed to the level of the administrators and coaches within the system. Nothing is taught in a meaningful way outside of the CRICKET skill sets. There is nothing to develop cognitive skills, mental aptitude, socio-cultural development etc. etc. This is throughout the age groups right up until FC and into the Test teams. In BIM they point to titles as equating to development.

Most of the boys that play cricket do not come for the type of socio-economic back ground that allows for the type of exposure allows them to buffer the deficiencies in their knowledge and training. In the past this was passed on from older men to younger men but nowadays almost all boys up to FC level play cricket WITH THEIR PEERS ONLY.

Fast forward , they become young men making good money playing international cricket and in the franchises and what happens now. They have arrived at the top of their trade without having the benefit of a complete skill set. The more damning issue is that most of them do not have the first idea as to how to treat to this deficiency. The reason is partly in how they have been socialized and nurtured within the system and partly because the very people whom they would go seeking assistance from are the least equipped to do so.

Yes you are perfectly correct, we do keep repeating the same thing, expecting different results. The reason for this is that you can only seek to change if you know the problem that exists.

We are experiencing a FATAL breakdown and unfortunately I have seen little evidence that the powers that be from administrators, to managers, to coaches are willing to acknowledge this.

sgtdjones 2019-08-21 21:22:02 

In reply to mkcharles

Great explanation, Thanks