The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: CWI to commence head coach recruitment and appoint Kieron Pollard as white ball captain following approval of new selection structure and policy

CaribbeanCricket.com 2019-09-10 01:28:40 

OF SPAIN, Trinidad – Cricket West Indies (CWI) today confirmed the start of the recruitment process for a permanent West Indies men’s team Head Coach, announcing a new selection structure and policy as well as confirming the appointment of Kieron Pollard as the new “white ball” captain for the West Indies One Day International (ODI) and T20 International (T20I) squads.

This follows a comprehensive review by CWI’s Selection Task Force into the selection process and system for all West Indies cricket, with all the recommendations approved by the CWI Board of Directors at the quarterly meeting, held for the first time in Tobago on September 7 and 8.

The Selection Task Force’s four-month review benchmarked cricket selection systems around the world and incorporated feedback and contributions from current and former players, coaches, administrators, franchise CEOs and nearly 2,700 fans across the Caribbean.

Full Story

mikesiva 2019-09-16 07:32:33 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

Here is the job ad

"Kindly note that West Indian heritage is a requirement for this position."

Walco 2019-09-16 09:05:53 

In reply to mikesiva
These guys are a bunch of jokers. Donald Trump and Boris Johnson have nothing on them. I wonder what some on here would say if another international team advertised a head coaching position with such language. They could simply have said that an understanding of WI culture and history would be a plus. But instead they chose to go the xenophobic route.

Star 2019-09-16 09:37:30 

In reply to Walco
The wording was an oversight and most likely will be corrected.

doosra 2019-09-16 10:11:15 

In reply to Star

Oversight?

Are you serious man...

mkcharles 2019-09-16 11:34:58 

Jokers the whole bunch of them.

Why is anyone surprised though. That was the referendum given to Skerrit to ascend to the top post and he is delivering to his consistency.

The Chancellor and some of the legends will be toasting another victory.

JOJO 2019-09-16 13:28:47 

In reply to mikesiva

Kindly note that West Indian heritage is a requirement for this position."

Wow! Not that it would be looked at favorably or that it would be a consideration...but it is a REQUIREMENT? I would think that any West Indian who has an the opportunity to live or work outside the Caribbean would cringe at such language.

bobby 2019-09-16 13:43:43 

This is crazy. So we are not looking for the best, even though we have hit and gone past rock bottom. We are looking for the best in the small Caribbean pool. WOW and WOW.
This reminds me of what happens in Antigua where employers who have already earmarked someone who requires a work permit for a job, develop the required qualifications for the job in such a way that no one else can qualify.
In other words, CWI already have the Coach. They are now just going through the motions. As the old saying goes, the more things change the more they remain the same.

Courtesy 2019-09-16 18:09:58 

Folks get serious. Do you want a coach to be appointed who does not understand our culture? How can a coach develop appropriate strategies if he/she does not understand a culture?

Heritage, heritage, heritage.... not origin.

The above is an important aspect to the appointment of any West Indies coach. Anyone who does not understand our culture should be cast aside no matter how qualified he/she is.

"An understanding of West Indian heritage" must be a requirement for the recruitment of any West Indian coach.

This is so crucial...bravos to CWI.

Atl_View 2019-09-16 18:30:19 

In reply to Courtesy

dear blogger I am not debating your point on this board but just want to point out a flaw in your point in the interest of having a valid debate.
CWI is explicitly looking for a person of West Indian Heritage, by saying it is a requirement. This akin to saying things like college degree required etc.

They are not asking for an understanding of Wet Indian Heritage.

Not sure if that was their intent but that is the message they are sending.

Courtesy 2019-09-16 18:32:20 

In reply to Atl_View

Brush up on your understanding of HERITAGE.

You can be a West Indian but lose your heritage.

doosra 2019-09-16 18:33:11 

In reply to Courtesy

I would be happy, if you are so inclined, to give me a lesson on this 'west indian culture' thingy big grin

doosra 2019-09-16 18:35:17 

In reply to Courtesy

is it possession of it by virtue of being a part of it?
is it knowledge of it, from a historical/sociological/political angle?

is this a requirement of our players too?

Courtesy 2019-09-16 18:35:40 

In reply to doosra

I'll make it simple. It's that handing down of your culture which establishes that heritage.

I can be of West Indian origin but lose my heritage like Maj, Nitro, LickDBalls etc...

doosra 2019-09-16 18:37:16 

In reply to Courtesy

but what is this west indian culture that is being handed down...what are some of its constituent parts?

the parts that you would consider critical in this context

bobby 2019-09-16 18:39:31 

In reply to doosra
Did West Indians and many right here at CC ever really accept Brendan Nash? He had the "heritage".

russean76 2019-09-16 18:39:58 

That's absolutely awful like you said they could have used different terminology and get the same desired result they wanted by hiring whomever they wanted but this provides further proof how lacking Skerritt and his crew are for the positions that they hold.

doosra 2019-09-16 18:40:02 

In reply to Courtesy

I can be of West Indian origin but lose my heritage like Maj, Nitro, LickDBalls etc...

and how does one prove his/her heritage beyond papers? big grin

Courtesy 2019-09-16 18:40:03 

In reply to doosra

Haven't you heard during cricket commentary of shots that are attributable to West Indies batsmen, the flair etc...and that other international batsmen don't play these shots like West Indies like driving thru the covers from length balls?

doosra 2019-09-16 18:40:29 

In reply to bobby

Did West Indians and many right here at CC ever really accept Brendan Nash? He had the "heritage".

see my above question about how does one prove their heritage?

doosra 2019-09-16 18:41:04 

In reply to Courtesy

Haven't you heard during cricket commentary of shots that are attributable to West Indies batsmen, the flair etc...and that other international batsmen don't play these shots like West Indies like driving thru the covers from length balls?

but i can know of that by reading, watching videos, etc...

should i know to play it?

Courtesy 2019-09-16 18:41:27 

In reply to doosra

I normally visit a Saint Lucian cook every time I visit London. There is a reason for this? He has not lost that aspect of our culture.

But, any way, I make no apology for insisting that a thorough knowledge of West Indian heritage is a must for the selection and recruitment of any coach for the West Indies team.

Courtesy 2019-09-16 18:46:25 

In reply to doosra

but i can know of that by reading, watching videos, etc...

should i know to play it?

You still know it whether through reading or viewing videos. It will inform your strategic thinking and planning.

I know of some Brits who are experts on ancient African musical instruments. They read and studied it and are very verse on African musical heritage.

doosra 2019-09-16 18:54:14 

In reply to Courtesy

You still know it whether through reading or viewing videos. It will inform your strategic thinking and planning.

I support that

but isn't that implicit? aren't you expected to know something about a context when u seek employment in that context?

i wonder if they are saying something else...that is my reason for asking how will you go about check...

are they saying you 'need to be a west indian' in another way?

doosra 2019-09-16 18:54:52 

In reply to Courtesy

But, any way, I make no apology for insisting that a thorough knowledge of West Indian heritage is a must for the selection and recruitment of any coach for the West Indies team.

earlier i asked whether you'd expect the same of your players

Courtesy 2019-09-16 18:55:35 

In reply to doosra

I support that

but isn't that implicit? aren't you expected to know something about a context when u seek employment in that context?

i wonder if they are saying something else...that is my reason for asking how will you go about check...

are they saying you 'need to be a west indian' in another way?

The job specification in the job advert says exactly what they wanted to convey.

doosra 2019-09-16 18:57:01 

In reply to Courtesy

i did not see that there...i saw a footnote with the heritage bit

Narper 2019-09-16 18:58:14 

Only Gibson and Simmons qualify

Reifer and Walsh may get a look in but I doubt that

Is Harper still coaching these days?

Simmons gets the job

Courtesy 2019-09-16 19:00:49 

In reply to doosra

Must be culturally sensitive and able to manage the broad diversity of players from across the region.

The "heritage" bit was to drive home the job specification detailed above.

Atl_View 2019-09-16 19:01:44 

In reply to Courtesy

I am not debating you sir. You have a right to your views as far as I see it.
I am just saying " requirement" is not the same as "understanding".
The below they are saying is required. A bit difficult if you have a friend who is of West Indian heritage. You still cannot apply although you understand.

"Heritage can refer to practices or characteristics that are passed down through the years, from one generation to the next. Researching your family tree would help you gain a sense of your personal heritage. Heritage is often used to discuss a cultural aspect or tradition that has been passed down through generations".

Courtesy 2019-09-16 19:05:11 

In reply to Atl_View

You are required as a coach to understand, "the broad cultural diversities of the players." Simple.

doosra 2019-09-16 19:06:56 

In reply to Courtesy

Key Skills

Must be an accomplished strategic planner with clear and innovative strategies for developing and maintaining a successful team and advancing West Indies Cricket. Critical is the ability to create and embed a winning culture and develop world-class teams in all forms of the game.

Must display a positive demeanour and possess excellent planning and organisational skills.

Must demonstrate the ability to develop and then execute short, medium term and long-term plans for the sustainability of West Indies cricket. Crucial to this will be the ability to manage the available playing and coaching resources to the greatest effect across the three forms of the game.

Must be an excellent communicator and people manager and demonstrate the ability to develop a competitive, driven and highly skilled team and an elite performance environment that demands exceptional standards of professionalism.

Must possess the ability to develop and improve the existing talent technically and tactically, while identifying and integrating new talent into a team culture that is both challenging and supportive.

Ability to demonstrate a creative approach and a commitment to being at the cutting edge of the latest developments in cricket and elite coaching. Must possess excellent collaboration skills and have the ability to foster strong working relationships across key functions, units and stakeholders within West Indies Cricket.

Must be culturally sensitive and able to manage the broad diversity of players from across the region.

Kindly note that West Indian heritage is a requirement for this position.

the one in bold is just about the only one that is specific...the others are standard points you'd find on most job adverts...

now who will fit this?

Courtesy 2019-09-16 19:10:05 

In reply to doosra

I meant job spec instead of person spec.

The HR consultants must have developed a person spec for the job interview.

Atl_View 2019-09-16 19:13:08 

In reply to doosra

let it go.. these folks know everything... but how to win

doosra 2019-09-16 19:15:18 

In reply to Courtesy

The HR consultants must have developed a person spec for the job interview.

i hope so and i would dearly love to see the part touching on "heritage"

Courtesy 2019-09-16 19:19:38 

In reply to doosra

Finally, psychographics have become an important consideration in selection and recruitment.

Dis done.

doosra 2019-09-16 19:23:32 

In reply to Courtesy

that does not make it more objective...in fact, psychographics is a highly interpretive methodology

Courtesy 2019-09-16 19:24:47 

In reply to doosra

You are planning in isolation if you disregard heritage. In today's world this is a NO GO.

Bravos once again, CWI.

doosra 2019-09-16 19:29:26 

In reply to Courtesy

i have no issue with the need for knowledge and understanding of context

i am curious about methodology

like i asked...is this another way of saying 'we want a west indian coach'? if that is so, then too bad

if it is genuine that how will you measure this understanding and knowledge of heritage...

we shall wait and see

Walco 2019-09-16 19:32:18 

In reply to Courtesy
Pressi Skerri was a little more specific here

I also remind you this morning that one of the ten points in our ‘cricket first’ plan is the ‘utilization of regional expertise’. It was not by accident that this policy resonated so strongly during our election campaign. In the past days, culminating in our Board meeting on Tuesday, we have consulted with many on this subject and listened carefully to most. While we may have had some differences in opinion, we all could agree that the move to promote the best coaches of our region is of vital interest of West Indies cricket, and in particular the Men’s senior team and their preparations for the upcoming Cricket World Cup in England.

I can tell you first hand that participating in a World Cup is a career defining experience for West Indian players and coaching staff. We therefore believe it is strategically more beneficial for a West Indian coach with the proven skill sets to have this exposure at CWI’s expense - rather than a foreign coach.

Our West Indian first policy is no disrespect to foreign coaches. On Tuesday our Board set a new standard of not less than 4 out of every 5 members of the coaching and support staff should be of West Indian origin. This enables us to continue to have international participants working for CWI in areas where there is no one of equal quality available regionally. But wherever there are foreign coaches in our system we will be undertaking a clear succession plan for a local replacement. Developing and exposing regional expertise in coaching is a high priority for the future of our cricket.

Our landmark decision to immediately introduce a well suited young West Indian professional as our men’s team coach is therefore a clear indicator of the seriousness of our West Indian first policy and represents our commitment to celebrate the best of what it means to be West Indian. This decision also underscores the need for fresh thinking, and an even more urgent need to embrace the new inclusive selection policy.

And in the midst of change, we have no doubt that our west Indian players, led expertly by Jason Holder, will be well prepared going to the World Cup. What we are now enforcing ahead of the upcoming World Cup is a new approach to strategic thinking while reviving authentic West Indian team spirit. Former West Indies Captain and award winning coach, Floyd Reifer, has therefore been chosen as the Interim Head Coach of the Men’s Senior Team because he has lived the same principles west Indian excellence that we now insist must prevail in our cricket.

Up to the end of 2018 Floyd Reifer had been identified as the outstanding emerging local coach. He displayed this by leading the West Indies A team successfully, including victories against the England Lions, and ended the past year by coaching the Senior men’s team to a T20 series win in Bangladesh. Mr Reifer’s his key coaching role in helping to set up the Combined Campuses and Colleges (CCC) Marooners impressive win in the 2018 Regional Super 50 tournament is well documented.

Finally, our performance record overseas under international coaches has been dismal at best. All of our victories in ICC tournaments have been with the help of local coaches. That is also why we have decided to give the opportunity to a young but seasoned professional, who lives among us, and who has dedicated his life to developing our young people and teaching them our cricket culture. With a focused team that will be led by the new number one allrounder in the world, Jason Holder, and filled with a collection of our best possible available cricketers, I have no doubt that Coach Reifer is the right man at the right time.

Courtesy 2019-09-16 19:36:26 

In reply to Walco

I endorse this new strategic thinking.

Bravos CWI.

sgtdjones 2019-09-16 19:42:50 

In reply to doosra

Our West Indian first policy is no disrespect to foreign coaches. On Tuesday our Board set a new standard of not less than 4 out of every 5 members of the coaching and support staff should be of West Indian origin.

Its to avoid another Pybus and Radford leading the way with
little understanding of the West Indies culture.

Walco 2019-09-16 19:46:06 

In reply to Courtesy
I do not endorse it at all. But today is a crazy day for me. I will add to my thoughts later.

sgtdjones 2019-09-16 19:47:10 

In reply to Walco

On Tuesday our Board set a new standard

How many issues coming from CWI are endorsed by cc com posters?

Courtesy 2019-09-16 19:48:32 

In reply to Walco

...It was not by accident that this policy resonated so strongly during our election campaign. In the past days, culminating in our Board meeting on Tuesday, we have consulted with many on this subject and listened carefully to most. While we may have had some differences in opinion, we all could agree that the move to promote the best coaches of our region is of vital interest of West Indies cricket,...

And yep, we may not all agree.

It is undubitably clear Skerritt believes that he has a mandate.

pom 2019-09-16 19:53:03 

This Skeritt dude seems racist to me.I do not like to call people racial but when you say that only a person of west indian heritage must get the job and most members must be west indians when local coaches have not done well for the most part says it all.

doosra 2019-09-16 20:27:25 

In reply to sgtdjones

i support the view if its intention is to help better understand our players

but if it is a snide way of eliminating others and to pick a west indian coach at all cost i have issues

Let me ask a simple question

Did coach Otis Gibson demonstrate an understanding of the cultural contexts, attitude, lifestyles, etc of our players of this era?

Otis surely is of west indian heritage isn't he?

doosra 2019-09-16 20:32:27 

In some ways foreign coaches may be an advantage when dealing with our youngsters...some of the older heritage folks may be hung up with the past and carrying feelings, insular, etc

Courtesy 2019-09-16 20:39:16 

In reply to doosra

Did coach Otis Gibson demonstrate an understanding of the cultural contexts, attitude, lifestyles, etc of our players of this era?

Otis surely is of west indian heritage isn't he?

lol lol lol

"Players of this era" and "heritage."

If ah laff a poop.

What's important is...does he understand that culture plays an important part i the current attitudes etc...

doosra 2019-09-16 20:43:24 

In reply to Courtesy

so if u laff and poop

then do you see what you are getting into?

u are trying to impose some heritage on a modern group/players of this era...is that going to work?

i have heard people complain time and again about players of this era having no understanding, or even no care of this so-called heritage...

so how are you going to? impose it?

doosra 2019-09-16 20:45:24 

In reply to Courtesy

What's important is...does he understand that culture plays an important part i the current attitudes etc...

are you seeking a cricket coach or a cultural psychologist?

all i would say is good luck ...

Courtesy 2019-09-16 20:45:41 

In reply to doosra

It's not imposing. It's understanding the way of life/upbringing of our cricketers which then guides any planning for them.

Courtesy 2019-09-16 20:47:49 

In reply to doosra

are you seeking a cricket coach or a cultural psychologist?

all i would say is good luck ...

I would prefer if you got the job to write the current job description instead of the persons in the know.

doosra 2019-09-16 20:49:10 

In reply to Courtesy

which then guides any planning for them.

are you concerned that this present group/era may want nothing to do with that heritage and may in fact not see them self connected to it?

previously i joked with you about Gayle being seen as the 'heritage' of this era...

like i said, good luck

doosra 2019-09-16 20:50:07 

In reply to Courtesy

I would prefer if you got the job to write the current job description instead of the persons in the know.

i am not qualified to do it...but that does not mean i am void of any knowledge of or any ability to question things that does not appear workable...

that is an easy way to tell someone they are not qualified to do it so hush up...cheap big grin

Courtesy 2019-09-16 20:51:08 

In reply to doosra

are you concerned that this present group/era may want nothing to do with that heritage and may in fact not see them self connected to it?

Nope. I never let the tail wag the dog. I'll leave that to guys like you.

doosra 2019-09-16 20:51:50 

In reply to Courtesy

Nope. I never let the tail wag the dog. I'll leave that to guys like you.

man, sometimes you think too damn much of yourself...come on...get off your high horse big grin

you bawl that the players care nothing about the legacy...and heritage
and u cannot see why?

so you are going to set up some program to get them to understand a legacy/heritage they cannot connect with?

Courtesy 2019-09-16 20:52:13 

In reply to doosra

that is an easy way to tell someone they are not qualified to do it so hush up...cheap

I am glad you read between and in the lines.

big grin

Courtesy 2019-09-16 20:53:08 

In reply to doosra

man, sometimes you think too damn much of yourself...come on...get off your high horse

Yes. I think so myself. But as long as there are guys like you here I take pride in doing so.

doosra 2019-09-16 20:53:34 

In reply to Courtesy

that is exactly how people without poor capacity for debate approach a debate btw

in case you didn't know

ad hominem is cheap...

now i let you and the cwi figure out this heritage story

i gone

doosra 2019-09-16 20:54:58 

In reply to Courtesy

Yes. I think so myself. But as long as there are guys like you here I take pride in doing so.

as long as people question you, you tend to get personal...

that we know big grin

Courtesy 2019-09-16 20:56:37 

In reply to doosra
When all understanding fails, I never miss the opportunity to call an ass an ass.

What don't you understand that as a planner the understanding of one's culture puts you in a better situation to draw up plans for that group of persons.

What's so difficult in understanding this? And you prefer like a jackass to beat around the bush. How else can I treat you?

If you enjoy whipping, then I will assist.

big grin

doosra 2019-09-16 20:59:36 

In reply to Courtesy

man i am only pointing out that i agree in principle that understanding the past is important...

however, you are not agreeing or even wanting to entertain the idea that the present may be so distinct and different and disconnected from that past that attempts to link that past with the present might be very problematic...

i am also asking questions about how that past will inform the future...method method method...

anyways...as usual we can disagree or at least move on with our own views...no harm

doosra 2019-09-16 21:00:27 

In reply to Courtesy

What's so difficult in understanding this? And you prefer like a jackass to beat around the bush. How else can I treat you?

If you enjoy whipping, then I will assist.

like i said above, you tend to get personal and edgy when people question your ideas...it is not a good sign for healthy debate

bobby 2019-09-16 21:02:46 

Is indiscipline, laziness, lack of commitment and bling bling part of our heritage.

Courtesy 2019-09-16 21:03:25 

In reply to doosra

man i am only pointing out that i agree in principle that understanding the past is important...

...i am also asking questions about how that past will inform the future...method method method...
anyways...as usual we can disagree or at least move on with our own views...no harm

big grin

Adios my friend adios.

Courtesy 2019-09-16 21:06:26 

In reply to doosra

like i said above, you tend to get personal and edgy when people question your ideas...it is not a good sign for healthy debate

Forgive me...it's just an intolerance for jackassery like..."how that past will inform the future...method, method, method." above.

big grin

Halliwell 2019-09-16 21:11:36 

In reply to Courtesy

But those multinational companies come een and it’s either their way or the highway. Their way usually wins and is usually successful.

We can make excuses all we want for Calypso cricket and calypso preparation.

Courtesy 2019-09-16 21:13:43 

In reply to Halliwell

What highway did you use to get here? And how are the two situations analogous?

...A multinational company investing and calling the shots vis a vis the appointment of a foreign West Indies cricket coach who travels empty handed and who needs to be culturally fluent. Please don't answer?

TheTrail 2019-09-16 21:23:07 

Damn, what a bunch of asswipes to even think about it

far less to write it as a criterion.

Did Skerritt and his Trumpers ever think what he is

conveying to the cricketing world?

unbelievable in this 21st century.

I guess Skerritt is playing to his 38 percent fans. smile

Walco 2019-09-17 09:29:04 

In reply to Courtesy

Heritage, heritage, heritage.... not origin.

I have no problem with CWI setting a goal to develop and give exposure to local coaches, but here are some of the things they have said that shine light on what they really mean.
Skerritt said this,
Our West Indian first policy is no disrespect to foreign coaches.

And then he said this,
On Tuesday our Board set a new standard of not less than 4 out of every 5 members of the coaching and support staff should be of West Indian origin.

Putting aside the striking textual similarity between Skerritt's "West Indian First" mantra and Trump's "America First" mantra, no self respecting foreign coach would waste his time applying for a job with an organization that has publicly stated that it will give first preference to West Indians. Then we get to the "new standard of not less than 4 out of every 5 members of the coaching and support staff should be of West Indian origin."
The World Cup coaching staff consisted of 4 West Indians and Mustaq Ahmed (the spin bowling coach), and Ahmed has survived different coaching regimes. I think he first started as a consultant under Gibson before becoming spin bowling coach. So if Ahmed stays on as spin bowling coach, as he has in the past after coaching changes, the new head coach must be of West Indian origin under the West Indian First policy. They could as well put up a sign saying Non-West Indians Need Not Apply.

doosra 2019-09-17 09:39:52 

In reply to Walco

Earlier I questioned whether this heritage thing was another way of saying west Indians first...

Make west Indies great again

#mwiga big grin

Courtesy 2019-09-17 11:38:51 

In reply to Walco

I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with West Indians first policy in CWI's quest to find a suitably qualified cricket coach.

And I make absolutely no apologies for this.

And I must commend the CWI for the understanding that a knowledge of our culture is vitally important if a coach/leader is to effectively lead the West Indies cricket team.

velo 2019-09-17 12:09:33 

the wording was clumsy

B16JP587S 2019-09-17 12:11:58 

Kindly note that West Indian heritage is a requirement for this position

Skerritt and co have already decided on who they want and so they crafted the ad to fit their appointee.

They are going to do a Shastri. Make a farce of considering some coaches like the BCCI did and then 'deciding' and appointing.

crapaud 2019-09-17 12:13:49 

Does that mean that there are loads of brilliant coaches of West Indian Heritage so far we have not managed to give the job to?

Courtesy 2019-09-17 12:38:14 

In this lesson we had an introduction to global leadership and the impacts of the leader in today’s business world. It is highly important for a leader to understand the cultures and diversity in a workforce in order to be successful in their leadership role (Moran, Harris & Moran 2011).

When communicating it is important to speak on an international level and respect the cultural diversity of people from around the globe (Kolin, Philip 2010). When communicating with people it is important to understand the differences in what we say and what it means.

Anyone with aspirations of being a successful leader in today’s business world must practice global leadership. The ability to deal with different types of cultures and lead them through change will make a leader more useful (Moran, Harris & Moran 2011). Leaders are required to communicate to a broad audience while conveying a message that motivates all their followers. In order to accomplish this, a leader must understand that their message may be accepted in different ways depending on the cultural backgrounds of each listener.

The Importance of Understanding Culture’s in the Workplace.

I now take my leave.

Walco 2019-09-17 14:50:36 

In reply to doosra

Earlier I questioned whether this heritage thing was another way of saying west Indians first...

West Indians 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th, and then maybe a foreigner 5th but he will have a West Indian understudy who will eventually replace him.

sgtdjones 2019-09-17 14:54:30 

In reply to Walco

When applying for a Job in most first world Countries,
often it notes citizenship, sales , Marketing required or
preferred.

I fail to see what is wrong with the ad that CWI posted.

Program Assistant - CR-04 / Case Processing Agent - PM-01
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Ottawa, ON
$47,729 - $57,643 a year
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad. Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order.

Senior Negotiator
Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat
Ottawa, ON
$112,400 - $132,200 a year
Only Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.

DIRECTOR
McMaster University
Hamilton, ON
However, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority for these positions. To comply with the Government of Canada’s reporting requirements,…

Walco 2019-09-17 14:56:36 

In reply to Courtesy

I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with West Indians first policy in CWI's quest to find a suitably qualified cricket coach.

Let's see which West Indians are put first and the bases for such placements. So far it's been a series of "West Indians First" actions based on settling scores and repaying political debts.

Walco 2019-09-17 15:10:46 

In reply to sgtdjones

Most countries have laws requiring that one be a citizen, resident or possess a work permit before being allowed to work. This is usually why such questions appear on job applications. Some jobs, especially those involving national security, might require citizenship.

sgtdjones 2019-09-17 15:19:48 

In reply to Walco

Soccer Coach

Now there are five academies in Canada located in Vancouver, Edmonton, Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto. Since 2013 we have covered 15 Canadian cities and trained…
Candidates must have experience in coaching soccer and specific soccer coaching to young players and coaching licenses (locally)

As we continue our expansion in Canada we hope to instill the philosophy, style of play, and values, which have brought success to this club, into the young soccer players in the country.
Previous Coaching in Canada mandatory.Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority for these positions.

It's like having a Russian coach Canada's Ice Hockey team.Now they have had foreigners coach on a limited period as an assistant to the Head Coach.

Walco 2019-09-17 15:38:42 

In reply to sgtdjones

Did you have a problem when Australians and an Englishman coached the WI team? Do you think the most qualified person should get the job? Or the most qualified West Indian?

Kay 2019-09-17 15:45:19 

In my opinion, someone who has the coaching certification, experience and relevant cricketing credentials should be considered for the job .... period! This job is for a head coach of an international cricket team.

This looks like another attempt to babysit and cuddle big men who are supposed to be professionals yet have difficulties receiving and understanding common instructions.

This is a backward step and any team which suffers from this sort of inferiority complex is already a loser ... ……

JOJO 2019-09-17 15:48:55 

In reply to sgtdjones

I fail to see what is wrong with the ad that CWI posted

Of course, you don’t.

First, the ads you posted noted that these persons will be given priority. This is the law n many countries and does not exclude non-residents or non-nationals. Besides, it is more expensive in many cases to recruit non-nationals; therefore, firms prefer to avoid it.

Second, the CWI ad stipulates that it is a requirement—implying that if you do not meet this requirement, then you need not apply.

A job as coach of an international cricket team is different in so many ways than those in the ads that you posted...on this I will not even bother.

sgtdjones 2019-09-17 16:12:38 

In reply to Walco

Did you have a problem when Australians and an Englishman coached the WI team? Do you think the most qualified person should get the job? Or the most qualified West Indian?

How can I have a problem when I have no input into such
positions.

My input is after these individuals were hired were we successful?
If we were they would still be here or we would be up in the rankings and not at the bottom.

If one were to employ a foreign coach and Coach the US or Canada's Ice Hockey team , a problem would immediately surface. The lack of coaching and experience in the junior levels that leads to such players being some of the best.

The present Administration is saying we have tried the foreign Coaches, it has not worked. Can we try a Head coach with a couple of foreigners and see what happens.

I fail to see where lies the problem, we are at the bottom of the barrel?

sgtdjones 2019-09-17 16:19:42 

In reply to JOJO

Then you need to reread the Soccer coaching position that is advertised for. It notes must have experience coaching locally, since they want to start at the youngsters level.This is where when properly trained the players excel.

Canada and the US are newcomers to soccer, note how quickly they have advanced. Now why is that.

Now there are five academies in Canada.Candidates must have experience in coaching soccer and specific soccer coaching to young players and coaching licenses (locally)

As we continue our expansion in Canada we hope to instill the philosophy, style of play, and values, which have brought success to this club, into the young soccer players in the country.

How many foreign coaches are Caricom citizens and coach locally or comprehend the locals and their customs? Now after reading the above , what would happen if we take such an approach as other Cricket playing countries have?

JOJO 2019-09-17 16:21:49 

In reply to sgtdjones

If one were to employ a foreign coach and Coach the US or Canada's Ice Hockey team , a problem would immediately surface. The lack of coaching and experience in the junior levels that leads to such players being some of the best.

I am sure you do not see the contradiction these statements.

The fact that they are some of the best has something to do with the coaches...i.e., the coaches may be some of the best...which suggests that there is no need to look elsewhere for good coaches because you have them in your system.

sgtdjones 2019-09-17 16:54:55 

In reply to JOJO

Notice I said "if"....(metaphor)

What you dont understand North American Coaches in ICE
played a system for the Ages . When Russia came over in the 70's a coaching exchange changed the game.

Most of the changes were due to the Russian system, immediately adopted at the youngster level,body hitting
till a certain age , pure skating and puck handling ability. The Canadian System was a rugged one with body checks. Today it's a different game.
You think the greatest Canadian players had the greatest coaches wrong, these players had that extra at a very young age. Check out Gretzky, Robinson,Clarke , LaFleur
they were special. Like Viv, Lara , The 4 prong etc...