The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

What do you think of whistleblowers?

black 2019-09-29 12:14:13 

Is this a phenomenon that is unique to the U.S. as far as the protection afforded them by Government and businesses?

People in general, frown on this type of activity but it's a very effective tool for Government and businesses because it could save them money and help discourage fraudulent activities.

On the other hand, if it is done to expose Government secrets, it could get you in a lot of trouble as we saw with Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden.

Should snitches get stitches or do they proform a valuable service?

black 2019-09-29 12:25:27 

Would you consider Manning and Snowden heroes?

dayne 2019-09-29 12:27:51 

In reply to black

Like most things in life it depends in which situation it is done, whistleblowing is good when it could help stop an abusive person or an abusive situation, but it is not got when it is done to stop a good thing from happening,

black 2019-09-29 13:13:10 

In reply to dayne

Like most things in life it depends in which situation it is done, whistleblowing is good when it could help stop an abusive person or an abusive situation, but it is not good when it is done to stop a good thing from happening

Why would a whistleblower want to stop a good thing from happening?

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-09-29 14:18:35 

In reply to dayne

To add....In all professions you have an obligation to report unethical doings if u see it.

Or you will go down with the ship as an accomplice if proven that you were aware of the situation.

birdseye 2019-09-29 14:21:24 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

Like law enforcement always say – see somethiing – say something --- most reasonable people understands what that mean

black 2019-09-29 14:24:15 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

Or you will go down with the ship as an accomplice if proven that you were aware of the situation.

Are you just as guilty for remaining, quiet?

black 2019-09-29 15:31:47 

In reply to birdseye

Like law enforcement always say – see somethiing – say something --- most reasonable people understands what that mean

The rules are a little different for the neighborhood snitch, he is likely to get stitches. lol

dayne 2019-09-29 15:52:23 

In reply to black

Why would a whistleblower want to stop a good thing from happening?

There are many situations in past history where whistleblowing was not for a good reason, for example the situation of the US soldier Manning, during the apartheid era in South Africa mamy Black whistleblowers help the ruling regime stop resistant movements, during the Slavery era many slaves sold out their own when freedom plans were being formulated.

DAVE400 2019-09-29 16:11:27 

Snitches belong in ditches...that's a real man's code..

This modern era encouragement of ratting is emasculating...

When I was in cadets...u were taught to sort out issues one on one or suck it up...snitching was always seen as worse than anything you could possibly snitch on...

Life goes on regardless of "unethical' acts...but snitching undermines structures...

birdseye 2019-09-29 16:12:17 

In reply to black

The rules are a little different for the neighborhood snitch, he is likely to get stitches.
as oppose to execution? wink wink

black 2019-09-29 16:24:05 

In reply to birdseye

Either one or both.

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-09-29 16:32:36 

In reply to black

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

Are you just as guilty for remaining, quiet?

I gave the option of not saying anything.

You missed my point. No further retort.

Whistleblowers are company employees who report inappropriate or unethical behavior they discover at work. ... Business owners can learn the ramifications of well-known whistleblower examples to avoid catastrophic legal and financial penalties

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-09-29 17:13:22 

In reply to DAVE400

When I was in cadets...u were taught to sort out issues one on one or suck it up...snitching was always seen as worse than anything you could possibly snitch on...

Life goes on regardless of "unethical' acts...but snitching undermines structures...

What if I work for a company and have inside knowledge of its financial declaration at the end of the quarter.
I reveal that info to my friend who sold his stocks. At the release of the financials, the stock tanked 90%, You owned stocks! how would you feel about the said man code?

Did you have a fair advantage as an investor?

black 2019-09-29 17:55:02 

In reply to DAVE400

Really dude? Can't you tell the differences between snitching on unlawful behaviors and snitching that undermines camaraderie?

Besides, camaraderie only goes so far, if it crosses into criminal acts, someone will pay the price.

DAVE400 2019-09-29 18:31:32 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

Don't be an ass..how often that doomsday happens?

Don't justify your pantyman syndrome...

DAVE400 2019-09-29 18:32:45 

In reply to black

No honour...zero...in snitching...no matter how u fool yourself...it stems from inadequacy and a need to feel like a hero...

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-09-29 19:20:20 

In reply to DAVE400

You are mixing street dealing with the ethics of government and corporations.

Suspect you are a low level pulourie dealer in Penal TT.

No fault of your own to be in that demographic

Cheeks 2019-09-29 19:27:57 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

Ends trying to come across as a hardcore man's man with street cred.

He nah fool nobody. big grin big grin big grin

'Snitching' on a brother who is engaging in something that you all have agreed to is one thing. Calling out crooked people who abuse their power and positions of authority at the expense of poor people and having some protection for loved ones in the process is an entirely different matter.

black 2019-09-29 20:57:34 

In reply to DAVE400

No honour...zero...in snitching...no matter how u fool yourself...it stems from inadequacy and a need to feel like a hero...

For some people it's about integrity and country.

DAVE400 2019-09-29 23:00:40 

Let's be honest...u have never whistle blown in your life...

black 2019-09-29 23:14:05 

In reply to DAVE400

I am really surprised by your stance, you are the last person I expected to take such a stance.

Is it because it happened to Trump?

Runs 2019-09-30 00:22:44 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

lol

black 2019-09-30 13:40:21 

eth·i·cal di·lem·ma

noun

a situation in which a difficult choice has to be made between two courses of action, either of which entails transgressing a moral principle.

"he is faced with an ethical dilemma: leave his post to help save his father's life, or follow his sense of duty

This guy is a hero.

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-09-30 22:57:31 

U know what we do to whistleblowers in the past?

Needs to be hauled into court for that

camos 2019-09-30 23:52:31 

In reply to DAVE400

the whistleblower is not a snitch, he works for the COUNTRY not for the president.

black 2019-10-01 03:28:54 

In reply to camos

That's correct, and Trump's people knew he was committing illegal acts and they tried to hide it by moving it to a secret server.

camos 2019-10-01 13:22:27 

In reply to DAVE400

a man should have a sense of justice, seeing injustice and not acting is a coward act!

black 2019-10-01 15:11:50 

In reply to camos

I don't get how conservatives claim to be champions of good Governance but are willing to allow this sort of crooked behavior.