The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Point, have a read

openning 2020-01-20 21:47:51 

Reifer seizing Surrey chance

First, the training in England is a whole lot different and it is more structured and there is a lot more intensity than in Barbados. There are also a lot more people turning up to training over here than back home,” he said.

Nico Reifer has been embraced by English county Surrey after recently gaining a one-year rookie contract.

It rewards his excellent performance for Whitgift School in England after joining on a scholarship in 2015.

Reifer, now 19, recounted the events which led to the opportunity.

“My school, Whitgift, had ties with Surrey because a lot of their past students are Whitgift players and, thus, the relationship between the two is close. My coach found out I had a British passport, so I was able to play for Surrey when I was 15 years old. So, I went and did some training sessions and played some Under-15 games back then. I was included in the academy team and I worked my way up to the second XI, where I played some games for Surrey and then, fortunately, I was able to be rewarded with a rookie contract,

Point, Kenroy Peters and every other West Indies U19 youngster, just don't have the structure, that Jimmy Anderson had.
This youngster will tell you his experience.
Link Text

Jumpstart 2020-01-20 21:52:55 

In reply to openning

Well we could forget him ever wanting to play for WI. If he's good enough, he'll probably out of loyalty play for england. They're poaching our players.

Khaga 2020-01-21 00:20:23 

POINT has become quieter ever since the new regime took over CWI..

hawk 2020-01-21 02:15:55 

In reply to openning

We still playing threes and fours at bank hall and think that will work, until we improve things, thing will never improve, he will be lost to Barbados and the West Indies

openning 2020-01-21 02:16:32 

In reply to Khaga
Point think Kenroy Peters, was treated differently, from any U19 player, after returning from the U19 WC.
He has been comparing James Anderson to his Invisible man.
I really don't want to burst his bubble, by telling him of the many West Indians playing and coaching weekenders in Australia.

openning 2020-01-21 02:19:56 

In reply to hawk
Nothing surprise me at that club, after seeing Roland Holder wicketkeeping in a 1st Division match.
As a teenager, every Saturday I would go to private lessons in Pinfold Street, then with five cents spending money, the other ten cents was bus fare to Bibby's lane, I would walk to wherever the Blues was playing, within the city limits.
It really hurt me to see what the club had come to.

hawk 2020-01-21 02:39:38 

In reply to openning

very few 1st division clubs have made any improvements apart from pickwick, which was forced upon them with redevelopment of Kensington, We sponsored a T20 a few years ago at Queen's Park, i was embarass at the state of the keith and clyde walcott pavilion

1st divison players were test/first class standard players back in the day....no longer the case

i spent some time in Bibby's lane, going over there this weekend

openning 2020-01-21 03:22:26 

In reply to hawk

What part of the Island are you from?
I attempted to play with some guys about 10 yrs ago, it was bad, got bowled by a full toss.
It had to be the scotch, I was drinking. lol lol

hawk 2020-01-21 19:09:32 

In reply to openning

i grew up in st John, Went to school at Lodge School