The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

American build and craftsmanship

black 2020-01-22 03:00:45 

American craftsmanship are unsurpassed in the world.

Would you agree with that statement?

I remember being in Guyana a few years back and being handed a roll of toilet paper, it was made in Venezuela before the total collapse. It looked like someone took a roll of paper towel and chopped in half with a machete.

I remember saying to myself, "wow, this is horrible".

It was crude but it worked. lol lol

black 2020-01-22 03:05:40 

Product made in china are cheap but not reliable. Buy a set of cheap chinese tires and they are likely to develop bubbles on the sidewalls.

black 2020-01-22 03:08:46 

Athletic shoes made in Asia are likely to come apart at the seams after a few weeks usage.

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 03:33:15 

American craftsmanship is unsurpassed in the world. 

No.

Italian...German....swedes.

It all depends.

But name one item made in the US known by all as top of the class.

black 2020-01-22 03:41:40 

In reply to Ayenmol

Ok, Germany is also known for quality, Italy and Sweden are close but can't surpass America.

American fighter jets, American jumbo jets, American SUVs (Cadillac).

ANYTHING TO DO WITH COMPUTERS.

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 03:49:57 

In reply to black

American fighter jets,

Well...you ar3 talking about the application of a certain tech... 

What makes a fighter jet powerful?

Or a jumbo jet?

Or an suv?

Even computers?

black 2020-01-22 03:55:25 

In reply to Ayenmol

Look, I'm well aware that any one product have footprints in many countries but the final product is done to the standards of the company that originated it.

That is why American companies will only subcontract with companies that could meet their high standards.

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 04:05:40 

In reply to black

First of...i will give you computing...but there are many components to computing...and the actual manufacturing of computers occur where?

Additionally you have not answered my questions re...where the components that are key to the products you mentioned are manufactured.

black 2020-01-22 04:20:33 

In reply to Ayenmol

Additionally you have not answered my questions re...where the components that are key to the products you mentioned are manufactured

It does not matter, American cars or components that are made in Mexico are still American final products. The same is true for products made in China or Vietnam.

Like is said before, companies manufacturing products overseas have to make sure their reputation and quality are in those products.

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 04:38:07 

In reply to black

Dude...if you are talking about build and craftsmanship then tell me...what is built and crafted in the US that sets the standard, worldwide?

What reputation and quality are you talking about?

Medicine? Industrial standards?

What does that have to do with build and craftsmanship?

Take a jumbo jet...there are many items that go into it....you think because Boeing is the leading manufacturer that makes their planes best?

The engines which is key come from where?

Rolls Royce is still considered the standard with GE and Prat and Whitney now catching up.....

Car engines, boat engines, motorcycles....tv...wines...chocolate...art...fridges....stoves...dishwashers...

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 04:39:45 

Cheese....bags....outfits....or the items used to manufacture these....leather....etc.

bravos 2020-01-22 04:42:17 

In reply to black

American cars are a bad example historically...catching up now though..

American isn't just America,they always had their own German scientists Asian Physicists and a steady supply of immigrants etc on board offering an unlimited supply of ideas and enthusiasm..

black 2020-01-22 04:53:25 

In reply to bravos

No, no, no, American cars of 30 years ago were terrible, not cars made today. The reason why American cars lacked quality is because they monopolize the American market and they were going to sell cars, regardless. It was not until the Japanese forced America to build better cars that they made an effort to build better cars.

black 2020-01-22 05:05:20 

In reply to Ayenmol

Made in America

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 05:09:39 

In reply to black

Dude. Anyway you look at it you are wrong.

Without even going as deep às bravos into who actually is behind many American companies....just dealing with your premiise of build and craftmanship...you think because Apple is an American company that Americans are responsible for it's build and craftmanship?

When it comes to design...Italians reign supreme...there are many people who are in manufacturing and design who go to Italy to learn.

Not to mention when it comes to epic machines Italians reign supreme...with both design and build.

Engines....lambo and Ferrari....Germans.

Watches .... Germans and swiss.

Suv's? You think because America sells the most truçks and suv's it means they are best?

Land Rover....Toyota land cruiser.

Even today...where have you ever seen an expedition with tahoes doing the bulk of the work?

I was looking at an expedition...Montanans journeying into Canada and the Northern territories...their offroading vehicles of choice?

A tundra and forrunner.

johndom90 2020-01-22 05:11:12 

In reply to black

Did you say....
American Boeings.....???

black 2020-01-22 05:12:07 

In reply to bravos

American isn't just America,they always had their own German scientists Asian Physicists and a steady supply of immigrants etc on board offering an unlimited supply of ideas and enthusiasm

That is true but that is what makes America, America.

black 2020-01-22 05:20:12 

In reply to Ayenmol

Engines....lambo and Ferrari....Germans. 

Watches .... Germans and swiss. 

Suv's? You think because America sells the most truçks and suv's it means they are best? 

Land Rover....Toyota land cruiser

For a half a million dollars, Lamborghini better be good.

Look, Audi, Fiat, Alfa Romeo, all these companies fail miserably in America before. This is their second shot at the American market and they are doing a decent job of it, Audi especially, is doing a great job but learned the hard way.

black 2020-01-22 05:31:13 

In reply to johndom90

Did you say.... 
American Boeings.....???

Yes, Boeing.

How often do airplanes crash?

Even with the problems Boeing is having with one particular aircraft, their planes are still top of the line.

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 05:56:30 

In reply to black

Mone if those 75 great products you posted are the gold standard in their categories or specific brands.

Again...tell me one thing America manugactures that is World renowned for ceaftsmanship and build.

Computer chips? Cimpuyrr sofrware? What else?

Accoustic guitars?

You mentioned SUV's....fail.

Cadillac? Cadillac was a leader in producing cars that were smooth riding...but not in anyway a masterpiece in build and quality...just amenities and extras that made the experience pleasurable.

I own a Cadi....one of the first that put Cad back on the map as a World player....since then BMW, Audi and Mercs have rewrote the standard.

Again another topic rhat speaks to blind devotion than based in reality.

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 06:01:14 

In reply to black

Even with the problems Boeing is having with one particular aircraft, their planes are still top of the line.

As compared to whom?

You are mistaking marketing and market dominance with build and craftsmanship.

Boeing's build quality and craftsmanship is no better, and at the moment probably worse, than it's competitor.

black 2020-01-22 06:22:03 

In reply to Ayenmol

Airstream trailers. ...Budweiser beer. ...Crayola crayons. ...Harley-Davidson motorcycles. ...Hershey chocolate. ...Jack Daniel's whiskey. ...KitchenAid. ...Lodge cast iron cookware

black 2020-01-22 06:23:45 

In reply to Ayenmol

Hallmark cards. ...Stihl chain saws. ...Pyrex. ...Red Wing boots. ...Tom's of Maine toothpaste. ...Merle Norman cosmetics. ...Pearson's candy bars

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 06:50:04 

In reply to black

Dude....non of those brands or items are World renowned....swiss and french chocolateers make hersheys look like a homeless case.

I will give you boots....America does have some very good boot makers....but shoes overall....no....italians. agaiin make some of the best shoes.

Cosmetics....french.

Pyrex is a glass utensil from corning...well known....but not as legendary as...

Top 10 Kitchenware Brands

Le Creuset.All-Clad.Cuisinart.Royal Doulton.Circulon.Farberware.Littala.Tefal.

Stihl is deffinitely a great Chainswaw maker....but Stihl is German... you do know that right?

Maybe check to make sure these companies you tjink are American actually are.

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 06:53:21 

Hallmark cards. 

What is so renowned about the build and craftsmanship of a hallmark card....again you are confusing market shate and popularity with build and crafrsmanship.

I know local people who make better cards than Hallmark.

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 06:57:53 

Am mot sure what about a crayon makes it well built and of superior craftsmanship....crayola was started as a cheap knockoff of imported ceayons.

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 07:08:11 

I already mentioned Harleys

Harleys are iconic....but even today they are a dying breed and not considered for a moment as the best motorcycles.

Noy even the huge cruisers are the best anymore.

And just sk you know....its owned by Kawasaki....so the craftsmanship is more japanese now...as well as the build.

Budweiser is not a great beer.

L8terally most of the items you mentioned...though big brands skme, even iconic...they are either no longer American....or just not top standard

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 07:25:47 

Obvious you have no idea, again, of what you speak....you confusing German companies with US....promoting market leaders and Marketing arms as build and craftsmanship etc.

You searching for an iconic and true American Standard bearer and miss the most iconic and true leader among them all!

Outside of that America trails many in the arena of build and craftsmanship....not to mention skill and raw materials.

Industrialization largely cripled the American craftsman and his systemic guiding of a true world beater.

black 2020-01-22 11:40:56 

In reply to Ayenmol

Harleys are iconic....but even today they are a dying breed and not considered for a moment as the best motorcycles. 

Noy even the huge cruisers are the best anymore. 

And just sk you know....its owned by Kawasaki....so the craftsmanship is more japanese now...as well as the build

Even so, how does that change anything?

sudden 2020-01-22 11:48:56 

In reply to black

u 2 r like Laurel and Hardy, Mutt and Jeff, Bud and Lou- great comedy duos

camos 2020-01-22 13:13:12 

In reply to black My friend American manufacturing is crap, it only dominates the domestic market where there are import restrictions on competing imports. Don't mix manufacturing with marketing and labeling like in the case of Nike.

black 2020-01-22 13:16:07 

In reply to camos

On what basis are you making that statement?

Just because you say it doesn't make it true.

bravos 2020-01-22 13:37:21 

In reply to camos

Like dey 'World Series' !

UK and Europeans never thought much about US products in general...see them as short cut and not well made..

camos 2020-01-22 13:57:02 

In reply to black

On what basis are you making that statement?

there is lots of empirical evidence, name a few American goods that are considered world leading in terms of quality in their category? Americans are very good at mass marketing.

bravos 2020-01-22 14:02:01 

I understand where you coming from but..

Budweiser-Carlsberg,Heineken,Grolsch,Stag?

Jack Daniels- Johnny Walker,Chivas Regal?

Hershey- Swiss,French,German chocolate,Nestle ?

Cadillac - too many better to list

Smith and Wesson - Glock,H&K,Sig-Sauer? No comparison..

Won't go into much more as they not even made in the US lol..

It's all branding and marketing..and mostly US sales..

camos 2020-01-22 14:03:00 

In reply to black

Americans are the best in the world at creating new things, but soon after someone else will perfect the product or idea.

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 14:43:02 

In reply to camos

Americans are the best in the world at creating new things

I would not even agree with that...many of the people who 'created new things' are immigrants.

Even so...there is an episode of The Grand Tour where they discuss the number of scottish inventors. It is eye oppenning.

American consumerism is legendary and so things take off here quicker than just about anywhere else....thus the money and business is here....but the ideas and craftsmanship of most necessary items originate elsewhere.

Not that Anericans are not well represented....but it aint cut and dry as most think.

Guys like this black dude has no perspective on things outside propaganda and nationalistic sentiment.

Bigzinc 2020-01-22 14:52:44 

In reply to black

the bestest idiots in the world are made in america with no foreigh parts.

they elected the bestest dumbest president in the world...hands down.

Ridge 2020-01-22 14:58:37 

In reply to black

Product made in china are cheap but not reliable. Buy a set of cheap chinese tires and they are likely to develop bubbles on the sidewalls

Agree and disagree.
Yes they are cheap. On reliability I can prove you wrong. We purchased a foam cutting machine from china
over 25 years ago and it is still running like new. Never broke down . The machines were being sold here in Canada for over 50 grand . We paid less than half of that. Never regretted our decision.

black 2020-01-22 15:03:37 

In reply to camos

Let me pull some names off the top of my head.

Caterpillar
Frieghtliner
Holt
Peterbilt
International
Case
John Deere
Cummings Diesel
Mack

Those companies are world class.

And America leads the world in military technology.

black 2020-01-22 15:05:09 

In reply to Ridge

Ok, so not everything Chinese is piss poor but a lot of them are.

SnoopDog 2020-01-22 15:44:02 

In reply to black

American build and craftsmanship...are unsurpassed in the world.

Who could ever argue with that? lol

black 2020-01-22 15:50:44 

In reply to SnoopDog

What does that prove?

The only thing that proves is that car needs to be in the junkyard.

SnoopDog 2020-01-22 15:54:20 

In reply to black

What does that prove?

That car is only a year old Bro. lol

black 2020-01-22 15:55:31 

In reply to SnoopDog

lol lol lol

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 16:16:29 

In reply to black

Caterpillar 
Frieghtliner 
Holt 
Peterbilt 

You pulled that off the top of your head?

I literally gave you...not only CAT but the Heavy Equipment Industry.

That is one of the things the US leads...brute force manufacturing.

Why they kead in powerful V8's...but the Germans and italians beat them at getting way more power from smaller engines and crushed them in build and crsftsmanship.

Then the japanese killed them in 4 cylinder variants that got the job done more efficiently

Caterpillar is the standard still...but the World has caught up in trucking....Mack is an afterthought, even here in the US.

While Volvo did the same thing the Japanese did....smaller engines, more tech, greater reliabilility rather than brute force....now all the Trucking companies are following their lead....

Just so you know....
Freightliner is owned by Mercedes parent company, Daimler AG...

Mack is owned by Volvo....who is the second largest Truck mamufacturer.

Daimler also owns Detroit Deisel....and the above are the two largest Truck manufacturers in the World.

Most of what you post again are not American....so once again you show how you are driven by contemporary propaganda or feelings based on little fact or knowledge.

camos 2020-01-22 16:23:46 

In reply to black

Caterpillar /Volvo,Scania
Frieghtliner / Volvo ,Scania, Leyland
Holt
Peterbilt /see above
International /see above
Case
John Deere / Komatsu, Volvo, Mitsubishi
Cummings Diesel
Mack/ Kamaz

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 16:30:43 

In reply to camos

Am not sure what the above is....if you are connecting companies then it is very confusing.

Carerpiller is still wholly American.

So is Cummins.

So is John Deere.

The rest are foreign. Mostly.

So what was that?

camos 2020-01-22 16:32:23 

In reply to Ayenmol
I am commenting on product quality!

powen001 2020-01-22 16:39:41 

In reply to black

A lot of your information is off...

Americans are the best marketers...

That is unsurpassed...

And outside of military applications... you could not be serious about vehicles.

There are literally dozens of other brands that beat american made vehicles , hands down.

have you ever even seen a single episode of top gear?

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 16:39:53 

The companies i highlighted were once leaders and American...but while some very American companies are owned by foreigners
...and even manufactured overseas....some still maintain their American roots....but most of them were overtaken in build and craftmnship by their competitors then aquired and retooled to meet the standards and inovations of the new parent company...

Like Harley and Kawasaki....Kawasaki was already making better engines and more diverse before taking over.

Same with Volvo and their myriad American acquisitions...same for Daimler ... who really has cornered the Market and was already a major player throughout the World under many subsidiaries.

black 2020-01-22 16:42:53 

In reply to Ayenmol

I was confused too. lol

I now see where he was going with that.

black 2020-01-22 16:43:54 

In reply to Ayenmol

What about agriculture?

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 16:51:57 

In reply to black

Americans build and craft agriculture?

If you are referring GM of crops...i would sdvise you to read up on it first....

GM does not stand for General Motors.

camos 2020-01-22 16:52:23 

In reply to black

what you say about agriculture?

SnoopDog 2020-01-22 16:53:25 

In reply to black

American build and craftsmanship

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned their unparalleled expertise and ability to craft proxy wars and installing puppet dictators all over the world.

Only the Japanese forging and sword-smithing of samurai steel ranks higher in terms of quality of build and exquisite craftsmanship.

black 2020-01-22 17:07:01 

In reply to powen001

There are literally dozens of other brands that beat american made vehicles , hands down

American cars are just as reliable now, you are talking about decades ago.

have you ever even seen a single episode of top gear?

You are talking about high performance cars but they also come with hefty prices.

black 2020-01-22 17:12:46 

In reply to Ayenmol

What is GM?

Do you mean GMO?

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 18:23:58 

In reply to black

Gm is genetically modified....you do not need the o when speaking of a particulsr organism....as in a crop.

Gm crop.

Why don't you instead educate us on what you mean by the American build and craftsmanship of agriculture?

Instead of trying to correct me on something you know nada about.

Drapsey 2020-01-22 18:37:26 

In reply to black

black, make them know that America's quality control is actually best. Just use the example of Inspector 12 and her quip, "They don't say Hanes until I say they say Hanes!".

Argument won!

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 18:51:37 

In reply to Drapsey

Yeah....its that great American quality conttrol what results in the great manufacturing of processed foods thst slowly kill the population.

black 2020-01-22 19:02:24 

In reply to Ayenmol

Americans build and craft agriculture? 

If you are referring GM of crops...i would sdvise you to read up on it first.... 

GM does not stand for General Motors

Gm is genetically modified....you do not need the o when speaking of a particulsr organism....as in a crop

Then you will find yourself having to explain the that GM does not mean General Motors. lol

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 20:09:06 

In reply to black

Still waiting for you to explain how Ameticans build and craft crops better than the rest of the World..

Or yiu wanna play word games when your ignorance has been thoroughly exposed.

black 2020-01-22 20:19:34 

In reply to Ayenmol

All I said was, "Agriculture" and you're off to the races with your usual nonsense.

I will explain when I have time.

Ayenmol 2020-01-22 21:08:45 

In reply to black

I will explain when I have time.

waiting patiently...