The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Fitness standards key for WI selection

CaribbeanCricket.com 2020-02-04 15:56:34 

Cricket West Indies (CWI) CEO Johnny Grave has pointed out that fitness standards will be crucial when it comes to selection of players for the West Indies Test, One Day International and T20 International teams.

On Monday, CWI announced that left-handed batsmen Evin Lewis and Shimron Hetmyer will miss the tour of Sri Lanka after failing to reach the new minimum standard fitness requirements in recent fitness assessments.

During a telephone interview, on Monday, Grave mentioned, “In our strength and conditioning policy, they’re tested twice every year. Obviously, players will be re-tested if they fail.

Read more at NewsDay

Full Story

goofballs 2020-02-04 16:13:53 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

WE, THE PEOPLE, DEMAND THAT THE TEST SCORES BE REVEALED TO THE PUBLIC.

Dukes 2020-02-04 16:24:52 

All-rounder Fabian Allen and wicketkeeper/batsman Nicholas Pooran were selected for the ODI team for Sri Lanka after overcoming recent leg injuries.

Grave mentioned, “There were some players who didn’t take part in the fitness testing. Fabian Allen, for example, got a knee injury during the India (tour). He would do a fitness test. Nicholas Pooran had a minor surgery after the Ireland series on his foot.”

THIS DUPLICITOUS MORON!!!!!!

You would be a FOOL if you believed that Allen and Pooran were the only exemptions from the fitness testing.

These guys can not fool me.They lack integrity and intellect, a devastating combination.

Dukes 2020-02-04 16:31:55 

Allyuh remember dem good old days when Gordon Greenidge used to pass the yo-yo test on one leg?

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Larr Pullo 2020-02-04 16:33:25 

In reply to Dukes

More and more you remind me of Mrs. Bucket. lol lol lol

Dukes 2020-02-04 16:45:24 

In reply to Larr Pullo

We talking bout yo-yo testing man, not a game ,yo-yo testing.We talking bout yo-yo testing, yo-yo testing man, not a game, not a game,maan, we talking bout yo-yo testing, yo-yo testing, yo-yo testing man we not talking bout a game when're I bust my butt running round the boundary taking catches, we talking bout yo-yo testing!

THANKS MUCH AI!!!

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Dukes 2020-02-04 16:54:53 

In reply to Larr Pullo

few people on this board know who Mrs.Bouquet is?

lol lol lol lol lol lol

InHindsight 2020-02-04 17:33:14 

In reply to Dukes

Hey Duksie if Graves and the hunchos are being duplicitous I don't know, but don't you think the intent and perspective is spot on?

Can you say why Hety and Lewis would be singled out for such deceit?

Just asking.

Khary9 2020-02-04 17:49:35 

Rakheem Cornwall?

Fitness? cool

jahmekyah 2020-02-04 19:31:53 

In reply to Dukes

HYACINTH
big grin

Narper 2020-02-04 19:41:25 

BTW...did Dwayne complete his fitness test?

Universe boss must start training for June testing

What about Andre Russell?

Baje 2020-02-04 20:01:14 

So if you are unfit, but you are returning from an injury, then you are ok to play?

Drapsey 2020-02-04 20:17:39 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

This whole thing is a conspiracy to keep Jumbo Corn out of the West Indies team.

I think this is BS and President Skirrett should take a stand.

Dukes 2020-02-04 22:27:19 

In reply to jahmekyah

The Lady of the House Speaking.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Dukes 2020-02-04 22:29:11 

In reply to Baje

So if you are unfit, but you are returning from an injury, then you are ok to play?

That is why I would love to interview any one of them CWI people because as I said before they lack integrity AND intelligence.

Maispwi 2020-02-04 22:35:50 

Shudn people returning from injury have to undergo a fitness test to prove dat dere are no niggles? After de fiasco wid Russell at de WC, I wud think dat CWI wud be more prepared

If fitness standards are so key den all persons returning from injury shud have to undergo rigorous fitness tests prior to selection.

natty_forever 2020-02-04 23:17:23 

In reply to goofballs

Then you not going believe they are ligit. You going g want them to show you them being tested and how they are scored.

Larr Pullo 2020-02-04 23:18:59 

In reply to Dukes

Call in on Mason and Guesses now please. 4341790

camos 2020-02-04 23:34:34 

In reply to jahmekyah

Mrs. Bouquet brother is my favorite! Winslow or Honslow?

lol

Judgement 2020-02-04 23:34:52 

In reply to Narper

BTW...did Dwayne complete his fitness test?

Dwayne Bravo failed the fitness test (badly too) - so let's see if Phil's poster boy is going to be on the T20 part of the Sri Lanka tour. There should be a huge outcry if he is picked because enough bullshit going on changing the rules to suit favourites and fellow countrymen...

Surprisingly, its Darren Bravo (the Bravo brother that tends to struggle with his weight) that passed the fitness test.

Dukes 2020-02-04 23:37:00 

In reply to camos

her Brother-In-Law Hounslow

Judgement 2020-02-04 23:38:32 

In reply to Baje

No, it means Pooran will be tested at some stage soon...but the policy is somewhat unfair in that him and Fabian Allen, walk straight into the team off an injury, without going through the rigours of the fitness test in-between, however, it may depend on when they last did a fitness test prior to injury.

Judgement 2020-02-04 23:44:15 

Ambris is lucky he is opening after Kieran Powell's recent form in the domestic seasons in West Indies and in Sri Lanka. CWI Management saying Powell missed out only because he failed the fitness test by a small margin and so Ambris is opening on this tour when Ambris has never played in Sri Lanka and WILL struggle on those pitches...

Dukes 2020-02-05 00:37:12 

In reply to Judgement

I noticed Johnny Bairstow doing a two run test.That to me seems much more relevant than a yo-yo test.They should also be a throwing test to measure accuracy in getting the ball back to the wicketkeeper.Also hitting the stumps from point or square leg.Those seem to me to be more relevant than sterile Pure Athletic tests.
Hetty runs far more quick singles than any body else on the team.Six hitting is also important.
Blindly following others is something we, mimic men are good at.In other words there should be a combination of tests that are run for batsmen and bowlers that involve cricket skills.I have seen Virat turn countless singles into twos.

doosra 2020-02-05 00:39:40 

In reply to Dukes

now i am not even sure it was a yo yo test they failed

because those 40 and 65 are different things...

man we need the damn data

Judgement 2020-02-05 00:48:45 

In reply to Dukes

In other words there should be a combination of tests that are run for batsmen and bowlers that involve cricket skills.I have seen Virat turn countless singles into twos.

That's a very good point, i will check if we implement something similar already..

Larr Pullo 2020-02-05 00:49:59 

In reply to Judgement

See the link I just posted about England's testing day.

Judgement 2020-02-05 00:50:43 

In reply to Larr Pullo

I think i've seen it, where Cooky is getting tested? Let me check again..

natty_forever 2020-02-05 02:00:39 

You Yo Yos where you get CWI conducting such a test?

Dukes 2020-02-05 02:25:10 

In reply to InHindsight

Hey Duksie if Graves and the hunchos are being duplicitous I don't know, but don't you think the intent and perspective is spot on?

NO.The fact that everybody selected did not do the test and some people were exempted from the test makes it farcical.It is my view that a yo-yo test can not be the sole arbiter of fitness to play cricket.Other tests such as running singles, twos and threes for batsmen, spending specified times daily with a bowling machine, jogging specific amounts and increasing upper body strength in order to hit sixes with ease on large grounds.Fast Bowlers need to be able to bowl 10 over spells and maintain 90% of their pace from start to finish.Spin bowlers need to bowl 20 over spells and maintain accuracy. Fielding drills such as pick up and throw.Running around the boundary, Catching skiers.All these things should be incorporated in the testing.

INCONSISTENT APPLICATION OF YO-YO TESTING WILL NOT IMPROVE OUR CRICKET

Can you say why Hety and Lewis would be singled out for such deceit?

If you read between the lines of what Johnny Grave said it is clearly deceitful.

It seems to me that those two did indeed fail the yo-yo tests but all the selectees did not take the yo-yo test recently.

Barry 2020-02-05 09:31:45 

In reply to Dukes
I liked your style and your loyalty to Hetty and other Guyanese. Hetty can be brilliant. But...
You don’t seem evidence informed or led by data. Are you really a medical person. Likely trained in UG?

Dukes 2020-02-05 12:28:02 

In reply to Barry

Are you really a medical person.

Not really, but I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express

Likely trained in UG?

I think you should have more respect for UG than that.I never graced their campus.

Now tell us about your stellar academic career!!!!!!

Dukes 2020-02-05 12:33:26 

In reply to Barry

You don’t seem evidence informed or led by data.

I have been calling for the CWI to release more evidence, such as informing us exactly who DID NOT TAKE THE FITNESS TESTS AND WHY..
It was hinted that people returning from injuries were exempted from the test and I pointed out why that was ILLOGICAL.