The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Yardies refused entry with land in sight..

bravos 2020-04-08 00:01:57 

They're off to Europe now..sad..

mikesiva 2020-04-08 09:56:52 

In reply to bravos

It's sad...but the government did say on March 21 that nobody will be allowed into the country from both land and sea. This statement includes not just tourists, but also Jamaican nationals.

A lot of the coronavirus cases were brought in by Jamaicans coming into the island from abroad.

Emir 2020-04-08 11:11:07 

In reply to mikesiva

I see this as a lack of management. Closed borders cannot mean no exception and those exceptions requires good mangers making solid fact base decisions, sadly the industry of government is not known for good managerial decision making.

I would allowed the ship to dock and ascertain the health of those onboard and possible testing. those who were negative I would have quarantine them for 1 week, just to make sure.

And for those who tested positive, I would have placed them in the two week quarantine requirement.

These were working class people who set out for work, they bring back their hard earn dollars home, they are not the rich who went jet setting for fancy vacations.

problemjay 2020-04-08 12:24:21 

Where Jamaica mascots Jah Jah and Drapsey! Say something nah evil

JahJah 2020-04-08 12:36:41 

In reply to problemjay

Wind your neck in and worry about the death and recovery rate in TnT.

You Trinis are always too concerned with Jamaicans. You guys started boasting how Jamaicans were going to suffer and die the most while Trini's superior system meant they would suffer no deaths.

It's still early, but I think you and other Trinis need to pay attention to TnT and let the Yardies worry about Jamaica.

problemjay 2020-04-08 12:39:06 

As we expected, try to divert the topic about Trinis lol

Drapsey 2020-04-08 13:08:42 

In reply to problemjay

Did someone mention Jamaica/Yardies?

I guess they did, and there you are, predictably, right on time!

Emir 2020-04-08 13:24:32 

This is human story and I am sick that some see the need to bring in nationality in the discussion. We are one people and if my Jamaican brothers are hurting then I am hurting

JayMor 2020-04-08 14:20:49 

In reply to mikesiva

Jeeze, man, what are they supposed to do now? The authorities ducked big time. It seems nobody wanted to own up a decision. One lady said she cried for days-- I can just imagine. The policy needed to have had some sort of escape clause to make for an exception here or there, even if it needed to be a determination out of the PM's office, for instance.

One thing is almost certain now: these will be PNP votes next time.

--Æ.

JahJah 2020-04-08 16:16:09 

In reply to JayMor

That's assuming they weren't PNP votes to begin with. They could also do like many do and not vote at all.

Hanover 2020-04-08 16:37:31 

In reply to JayMor

The policy needed to have had some sort of escape clause to make for an exception here or there, even if it needed to be a determination out of the PM's office, for instance.

JayMor, my friend, wouldn’t such an exception create a wide-open space for a misallocation of rights?

JayMor 2020-04-08 17:15:56 

In reply to Hanover

"[W]ide-open space for a misallocation of rights?" -- No. I did say "to make for an exception here or there". Don't you think such would've been warranted in this case? And what do you think of them not responding at all?

(BTW, I know you a bit over the years here, my parish-mate. Your question likely doesn't reflect how you feel but is more of an intellectual exercise.)

--Æ.

Hanover 2020-04-08 17:49:48 

In reply to JayMor

[T]o make for an exception here or there

Concrete human experience of our politics, my friend. It is easy to see how politicians would manipulate the system. Party people letting in party friends; party people accusing other part of denying their people. A deficit of political trust. God help us, the children of the damned.

Your question likely doesn't reflect how you feel

True; you are absolutely correct. My emotion is saying one thing, while logic is saying something else. It is true, passion is inexorably at war with logic to hell.big grin

JayMor 2020-04-08 21:52:01 

In reply to Hanover

Oftentimes, fe true! big grin

--Æ.

Dan_De_Lyan 2020-04-08 22:08:23 

In reply to JahJah

lol lol lol

Dan_De_Lyan 2020-04-08 22:08:41 

In reply to problemjay

lol lol lol

Curtis 2020-04-09 00:46:54 

What's wrong with letting your citizens back in protective quarantine mode?

Jamaica has let its people down.

So send them where?

Epic failure by a gov't to look after its citizens. Don't tell me it's a risk to others - you lock them down for 14 days.

Hanover 2020-04-09 00:48:07 

In reply to JayMor
By-the-way, a lady residing in Kingston said that, with the spread of COVID-19 in Kingston, she will be running away from Kingston to Hanover.

People running away from Kingston to Hanover...“Colonization in Reverse” comes to mind.big grinbig grin

Dan_De_Lyan 2020-04-09 00:56:37 

Link Text

comment or

Share ›
−
noshel • 10 years ago • edited
Dr $$%^&*@#.
I cant believe that addend been for the emails revelation. it seem you had seen nothing wrong with a leader of a country who vowed publicly that he was ready to sacrifice his office to obstruct justice to defend an alleged criminal!.. where is your head?... don't tell me that its the emails that you are concern about . and not the deep involvement of Golding in this matter from the outset?... come on Dr Cummings shame on you!.. you r voice should have been one of the first calling for Golding to resigned!...

But as i said . IN JAMAICA THE WORD "GOVERNMENT" SIMPLY MEAN FREE FOR ALL, A WAY FOR CERTAIN PEOPLE TO WAD THEIR POCKETS WITH TAX PAYERS MONEY!. AND LIVE HIGH ON THE HOG!...

I am so sick to see so many well known people who called themselves intellectuals and well educated come here expressing shock at what Golding had done!. Like they were a sleep when the case was leaked to the press. last year!.. that's when every well thinking Jamaicans should have come out and condemn that act and asked for Golding head!..

This tell me something about how deep corruption is in the people of Jamaica that with all the antics that Golding was going on with , they did not see anything wrong with his stance until these EMAILS!..
I must admit there was a few voice that called his action into question. mine include but it was mostly people in the diaspora!...

know your scourge....it walks like a carona virus

Hanover 2020-04-09 01:00:30 

In reply to Curtis
Curtis, governments, universally, are guided by the moral principle of the greatest good for the greatest number of people, utilitarianism – not that I support utilitarianism; it is just the reality.

Curtis 2020-04-09 01:31:09 

In reply to Hanover

Canada is flying in its citizens from all over, and locking them down.

All of the infected nationals that brought the virus to Caribbean nations did so without the gov't knowing. Those people came, went thru immigration and no one suspected.

Now that we are further into the game and understand a bit more, these people could be easily quarantined until safe to release or if infected, dealt with. Now what happens to them?

Should they sail the seas for months or just be imprisoned in that ship for months?

black 2020-04-09 14:40:50 

In reply to bravos

That is total bullshit, Countries have a moral obligation to look out for and protect their citizens.

If a Country refuse to accept its own citizens, how can they expect the rest of the world to accept them?

Chrissy 2020-04-09 14:55:35 

In reply to JayMor

Sickening - most country's make exceptions for their own citizens.

nick2020 2020-04-09 14:58:20 

In reply to Drapsey

bravos looking for justification lol

nick2020 2020-04-09 14:58:47 

In reply to Chrissy

Sickening - most country's make exceptions for their own citizens.

Except Trinidad. lol

Drapsey 2020-04-09 15:02:50 

In reply to black

Dem Yardies too follow fashin or just like to play one-upmanship. Dem hear that the Trinis refused to accept their citizens just the other day, leaving them to suffer the indignity of staying in nearby BIM. Now they have to better that by sending their citizens off to mother England. evil twisted evil twisted

bravos 2020-04-09 15:37:41 

In reply to Drapsey

Ahahahaha yuh zeeit..

bravos 2020-04-09 15:38:22 

In reply to black

Yep I totally agree...and they were already there after all...

black 2020-04-09 15:50:34 

In reply to bravos

Yep I totally agree...and they were already there after all...

With proper protection, these people could have been moved in and out quarantine, safely.

This is something all Governments should have been planning for.

Drapsey 2020-04-09 16:00:19 

In reply to black

How dem Guyanese doing with this CoronaVirus thing? I hope dem not turning away cruise ships also.

black 2020-04-09 16:03:43 

In reply to Drapsey

How dem Guyanese doing with this CoronaVirus thing?

I'm not sure but no country should be turning away its citizens.

nick2020 2020-04-09 17:39:14 

In reply to black

I'm not sure but no country should be turning away its citizens.

Some did.

Toney 2020-04-09 18:52:00 

In reply to Drapsey

How dem Guyanese doing with this CoronaVirus thing? I hope dem not turning away cruise ships also.

Nah worry bout Guyana. Have you ever met a Guyanese whether in Europe, the Caribbean or North America, who escaped Guyana and is eager to return ? lol lol

XDFIX 2020-04-09 23:50:23 

In reply to Toney

big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin

JahJah 2020-04-11 14:41:03 

In reply to nick2020

Chrissy's participation about to done! big grin