The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Message to Carlos Brathwaite

analyst-kid 2020-04-10 16:55:40 

You are completely out of WI and Barbados cricket right now.
You are too good a player to be in this position.

Follow the example of Joel Garner a big tall strong (sounds familiar?) great fast bowler who was dropped from the WI team in 1983.

He used the time to work on his game and he returned a lethal frontline world class strike bowler until he retired in 1988.

You need to take a leaf out of Joel Garner's page and increase your pace, lift,accuracy ...you already have the intensity and the knowledge.

WI cricket needs a Carlos Brathwaite like this.

navindesigns 2020-04-10 17:38:09 

agree

i hope CB can bounce back

Larr Pullo 2020-04-10 18:45:12 

In reply to analyst-kid

Or he just needs to join another team, and bat the way he used to bat when he was averaging 50 in test cricket. Forget the 4 sixes, forget being a T20 nomad. Forget that all that happened and go back to basics.

Dukes 2020-04-10 18:56:52 

In reply to analyst-kid

Follow the example of Joel Garner a big tall strong (sounds familiar?) great fast bowler who was dropped from the WI team in 1983.

He used the time to work on his game and he returned a lethal frontline world class strike bowler until he retired in 1988.

I seriously doubt the accuracy of that statement that Garner was dropped in 1983.

I was told that he was rested for the tour of India in 1983 because he was tired.

FuzzyWuzzy 2020-04-10 19:57:09 

I fear Carlos may have missed the boat.

Narper 2020-04-10 20:51:57 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

The main problem was that Carlos was placed in the boat and made cappo to boot.

googley 2020-04-10 20:53:15 

Carlos is no Garner! Period!

Atl_View 2020-04-10 21:17:24 

In reply to googley

Sadly Carlos is not even Carlos anymore !!! Hope he gets help soon . Our one day hero next day zero approach claims another one.

camos 2020-04-10 21:20:51 

I think he has a better chance of improving his batting to the point of a recall, than improving his bowling.

analyst-kid 2020-04-10 21:33:13 

In reply to Dukes

I seriously doubt the accuracy of that statement that Garner was dropped in 1983.

Whether rested or dropped...he was replaced in the WI team by Winston Davis.

Joel Garner returned a different bowler. From bowling first change or second change behind Roberts/Holding, he took up the mantle after Roberts retired and Croft joined the rebels to SA, and opened the bowling with Marshall.

Islander 2020-04-11 00:06:30 

How often will we mistaake mules for thoroughbreds. It is unfair to the mule giving of his best.

Dukes 2020-04-11 00:22:35 

In reply to analyst-kid

After the home series against India,Garner returned to Somerset and played only 10 matches where he took 35 wickets at 20 apiece.His last match was August 25th.The tour of India followed in the Fall and Winter of 1983 and the next first class match Garner played was the 1st Test vs Australia at Bourda.How could a man be dropped and play no first class matches and be selected for test match cricket? Think about it!!!

openning 2020-04-11 00:34:42 

In reply to Dukes

Fast bowling great and one of four knighted cricketers here in Antigua, Sir Curtly Ambrose, said he almost walked away from the game at an early stage in his career.
Having claimed 405 wickets in 98 Tests, Sir Curtly said brushes with the selection politics associated with West Indies cricket had left him distraught in 1990 after he was left out of the squad for the first Test against England in a series which started in Jamaica when selectors claimed he was “sick”.
“For the second Test match in Guyana the same team was selected, however, the late great Malcolm Marshall pulled out because of an injury and that’s when they sent for me to replace Marshall in Guyana and I said, not me, I am not going anywhere. If I wasn’t fit enough or good enough to play last week then I can’t be fit this week,” he said.

Link Text

cedaw 2020-04-11 13:00:09 

In reply to Dukes

I was told that he was rested for the tour of India in 1983 because he was tired.

Bird has an autobiography titled "Big Bird Flying High". In that book he talked about being dropped and the effect it had on him.

Dukes 2020-04-11 13:07:21 

In reply to cedaw

How could a man be dropped and play no first class matches and be selected for test match cricket? Think about it!!!

Please explain the above.

culpepperboy 2020-04-11 13:08:08 

I recall when Walsh was dropped and came back strong in the regional tournament.

Dukes 2020-04-11 13:19:26 

27th August 1983 Schweppes County Championship 1983 Somerset v Glamorgan County Ground, Taunton f34783
2nd March 1984 Australia in West Indies 1983/84 1st Test West Indies v Australia Bourda, Georgetown f35115

The above is taken from a list of all Joel Garner's first class matches.
It clearly shows that he did not play any first class cricket between August 1983 and March 1984 when the WI played their first test match since the Indian tour which lasted from October 1983 to December 1983.

cedaw 2020-04-11 13:21:18 

In reply to Dukes

I am not in a position to explain that. All I can do is recount what Bird himself said.

Dukes 2020-04-11 13:22:49 

In reply to cedaw

Point taken.

TyTy35 2020-04-11 13:48:58 

In reply to analyst-kid

Earlier in the first class season I asked where is Carlos why isnt he playing for any team, and that he is too good of a player to be lost to West Indies Cricket. I hope he takes your advice and retools his bowling but more importantly works on becoming more consistent with his batting. The infusion of T20 cricket has caused som of these guys to forget how to bat, and instead become swipers. Carlos needs to play some first class cricket and rediscover his batting just the way Blackwood did.

analyst-kid 2020-04-11 14:12:18 

In reply to cedaw

13 years ago in Toronto I talked to Bird and he told me himself he was dropped in 1983 so Im stunned by Dukes' allegations.

What I do know is that Bird missed an entire huge 6 Test/5 ODI Tour to India in 1983....the fast bowlers who went were Marshall,Holding, Roberts, Daniel, Davis and Baptiste.

WI won the test series 3-0 and the ODI series 5-0

Oilah 2020-04-11 16:07:21 

That 83 tour showed how great fast bowling is still effective on dead wickets and in unhelpful conditions. Holding and Marshall had a very good Indian batting line-up in bare trouble.

jen 2020-04-12 16:09:47 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Or he just needs to join another team, and bat the way he used to bat when he was averaging 50 in test cricket. Forget the 4 sixes, forget being a T20 nomad. Forget that all that happened and go back to basics.

You know I does always say this too. While it made him money as he got T20 recognition, it was downward spiral to his career. Carlos is a very good batsman when playing normal. After the 4 sixes, he was expected to be a hitter or told himself he had to be.

Those 3 test half centuries weren't fluke. Carlos could have been a solid limited overs all rounder.

His bowling use to be very good and right now it has gotten so tame. Use to bowl a lot of leg cutters at good pace.

Jumpstart 2020-04-13 14:33:13 

In reply to analyst-kid

Carlos is not very good at any of the cricketing disciplines: he's not a world class bowler certainly not a world class batsman who can be relied on to perform day in/day out.
Was a political choice(just like jason holder who has thankfully blossomed into a world class performer) after Sammy told off Cameron in public for his stupidity which had and has harmed WI cricket. He was never quick.....the fastest i saw Brathwaite bowl was 130mph. One of the criticisms of him by Aussie commentators during the tour thrte in 2015 was thst he was and is too slow. Dwayne bravo is faster than him and bravo is shorter and not as big. Joel Garner was a world class performe. A key contributer to the 79 win down undr and helped us draw the series in 1981. He and carlos are in two different categories patna. One had the talent of an all time great and one is just above first class standard. Peter trego from Sussex was amore reliable all rounder than him and he never played for england