The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Holder finds it tough being just a player

Khaga 2020-04-10 23:03:29 

Holder reflects on losing ODI captaincy

dayne 2020-04-10 23:15:13 

In reply to Khaga

It is good for Holder IMO to go back to just being a player, because he now can see how another person runs a team and learn from it. He was appointed to the captaincy so early in his International career he did not get a chance to observe much from others.

Islander 2020-04-10 23:52:14 

In reply to Khaga

Reading this article higlights for me the basis of my conflicts about Holder and his position in the WI team.
It is without question that he is adequately introspective, yet I can't help but feel he is not quite realistic about being a consistent producer internationally as either a batsman or bowler. I do believe he has the potential to be better at both but I still do not see a budding top tier batsman or bowler. The self belief however is an asset and I do believe that he believes he can be an outstanding performer internationally. Unfortunately, internationally he is no longer an unknown quantity. He needs continuous input from a great bowling coach on developing the ability to manipulate the ball according to the prevailing conditions consistently. His natural build is already an immense asset.
I think Pollard currently is about the best we can find if Russel and Bravo Snr. are not in contention. Interestingly, if Jason is around in 3 or 4 yrs and playing consistently I believe his game and appreciation of the strategies and tactics to be employed in unique game settings will have evolved to propel him heads and shoulders above the others. He definitely demonstrates the intelligence which will invariably elevate his cricket IQ.
I do not think Pollard can do much more than what he is doing but I believe he can get the team to give more than Jason can. I also think Pollard is more shrewd and experienced and Jason should learn as he goes along.

sgtdjones 2020-04-11 00:03:31 

Since Pollard became the captain, Holder has picked up six wickets in eight ODIs at 66.16 with a strike rate of 75.

A cause for concern for Pollard and West Indies coach Phil Simmons was Holder's lean form with the bat: he has scored just of 50 runs from six ODI innings after being dropped as captain. Holder has come in at No. 7 in five of those innings in contrast to his last 15 knocks as captain, when he had batted at No. 6 or higher 13 times.

doosra 2020-04-11 02:45:19 

In reply to Khaga

he call icon yet? a hear some thing just come out big grin