The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Holding rate Viv as the best batsman in history

openning 2020-04-13 20:04:08 

Viv is the best batsman I have seen against anything and everything,’ Holding told Sky Sports. ‘He never looked intimidated. Richard Hadlee in New Zealand, Dennis Lillee in Australia, Abdul Qadir in Pakistan, Bishan Bedi in India. Ian Botham in England. He got runs against anybody and everybody. ‘He destroyed a lot of bowlers in the Caribbean. He didn’t have to play against four West indies bowlers at once but he played against us [domestically] and he got runs against everyone

Link Text

openning 2020-04-13 20:13:10 

Asked to identify the greatest seamers in the history of the game, Holding named fellow West Indian heroes Malcolm Marshall and Andy Roberts, Australia legend Dennis Lillee and current South Africa star Dale Steyn.

Link Text

Jumpstart 2020-04-14 01:01:31 

In reply to openning

Not surprised. Viv was the best. The only caveat was that his struggles versus bowling attacks containing Garner and Marshall was a very well kept Caribbean secret

XDFIX 2020-04-14 18:48:58 

In reply to Jumpstart

Viv is impressive, I give him ratings for gathering his runs without a helmet!

Benjie 2020-04-14 19:56:31 

Holding was part of the last wicket partnership with Richards during the 2nd ODI against England in England in 1984. This was when Viv had made 189 no. They had a century partnership of which I think Holding made about 10. This was batting and batsmanship at its best.