The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Lara reflects on anniversary of historic 400 not

sgtdjones 2020-04-14 16:28:39 

Lara reflects on anniversary of historic 400 not out

400 NOT OUT, FROM WHERE I STOOD

Thank you for the great response to my last effort to take you through one of my greatest experiences in life! I never really expected to get such positive feedback from so many of you, so I am truly grateful for that.

Dukes 2020-04-14 16:47:29 

In reply to sgtdjones

Here is the difference between Viv and Lara.

If you ask Viv which innings by Lara he enjoyed the most,I know INSTINCTIVELY he would choose his 153* to win a test match for the West Indies.Scoring 400* on a dead wicket in a boring draw seemed to bring the most pleasure to Lara.

NineMiles 2020-04-14 17:43:53 

In reply to Dukes

Think you are being unfair to Lara and/or taking his comments out of context. "one of my greatest experiences in life" does not equate to my best innings ever!

If you ask Lara which he considers to be his best innings, he will tell you the 213 at hostile Sabina Park and the 153* - both innings leading to wins against the mighty Aussies.
He will even put the Sydney 277 ahead of the 400*

Difference is the 400 not out is still a World Record and ought to be celebrated. It is the kinda of record that will be remembered even after we have all gone.

Lara is the first batsman to hit a quadruple century in Test cricket...many have tried since and failed!

cupid20d 2020-04-14 17:49:42 

PRICELESS

brians_da_best 2020-04-14 18:36:47 

In reply to Dukes

I think you're missing the point. The 400 is a world record, and is the most coveted record in test cricket. As is the 501 in first class cricket.

The 153 is rated as the second best innings of all time by Wisden. And only a couple of weeks back, Brian was reflecting on that on his Instagram profile.

Benjie 2020-04-14 20:02:34 

Having seen the 400 no and the 375 before that and numerous other innings, I am convinced that BC Lara is the best batsman of any era. Thats just my opinion. The only fault if you can call it a fault I found with him is that as a left hander Lara didnt or couldnt play the hook shot.

Dukes 2020-04-14 20:29:03 

In reply to Benjie

I found with him is that as a left hander Lara didnt or couldnt play the hook shot.

Please explain what being a left-hander has to do with anything.

Benjie 2020-04-14 21:30:18 

Growing up in the 70/80s most left hand batsmen seemed be compulsive hookers.
I just found it odd that Lara never seemed to master that shot. He could flick off the hip or pull but didn’t hook. Perhaps it was a low percentage shot from which he
could easily get out and that early in his career he cut that shot out.

Barry 2020-04-14 22:13:31 

In reply to Dukes

Who cares what Viv thinks.... not everybody can lack ambition and be careless and thoughtless in their approach . big grin

Barry 2020-04-14 22:15:21 

In reply to brians_da_best

World records are not important to West Indians- making illegitimate children is.. confused

Dukes 2020-04-14 22:48:07 

In reply to NineMiles

I suggest you research and read the piece by Prof Beckles,VC of UWI

HILARY MCD. BECKLES
The detachment of West Indies cricket from the nationalist scaffold

Dukes 2020-04-14 22:52:18 

In reply to Benjie

I never thought of that.Fair point.

Dukes 2020-04-14 22:55:39 

In reply to Barry

Viv's ambition was for the WI team to be the best cricket team in the world.Lara's ambition was to be the best batsman in the world.
They both achieved their ambition.

Barry 2020-04-15 01:22:49 

In reply to Dukes

Is that why he left the team to fight the English journalist who was investigating the cries of a woman being regularly beaten? big grin

Barry 2020-04-15 01:23:42 

In reply to Dukes

How Beckles son doing? confused

Dukes 2020-04-15 01:47:20 

In reply to Barry

How Beckles son doing?

Only a low life would post that.

GOODBYE

openning 2020-04-15 02:01:00 

In reply to Dukes

Viv's ambition was for the WI team to be the best cricket team in the world.Lara's ambition was to be the best batsman in the world.
They both achieved their ambition.

Super, I've looked at five captains, Sir Frank, Sir Clive, Sir Viv, Sir Richie and Lara.
Sir Frank fought for the underprivileged, Clive and Viv wanted to win and to be the best, Richie focus was Leeward Island players, Lara was frienlism.
I've gone away from blaming captains, and I for years have been looking at Territorial development.
The Leewards in the seventies and eighties could match any of the four top teams in the region, I am unable to have a discussion on Leeward Island tournaments from my Antiguan buddies.

The only person that make sense to me about Windward Island cricket is Commie, this is a region with all talk, but lack development.
I feel sorry for the youngsters that cannot work on the game, in a professional setting.
We saw Guyana this year, this is all on the GCA, JCA should follow the Netball, Soccer and T&F programs.
T&T has gone the T20 route, The BCA program which I think is the best in the region, lacks direction.
All of our territories should have a professional cricket program, with academies.

Barry 2020-04-15 03:50:51 

In reply to Dukes

And you are not a low life? How you know Lara’s ambition wasn’t to win, confronted by a board desirous of regaining its past power?

Barry 2020-04-15 03:52:37 

In reply to openning

I’ve looked at 5 modern captains too- number one frenlism was Holder, number 2 was Ritchie.... rolleyes