The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: The rise and fall of Carlos Brathwaite

CaribbeanCricket.com 2020-04-16 05:59:01 

Like the fabled legend Heracles, Carlos Brathwaite dutifully completed the impossible labour of lifting a seemingly down and out West Indies to an unlikely triumph over England at the 2016 T20 World Cup final.

In its aftermath, much like the mythical Greek hero, he would soon after, however, happened upon a poisoned cloak of his own; unrealistic, heavy expectations which have so far proven to be his undoing.

Needing 19 off the last over and the ball in the hands of a capable Ben Stokes, few would have picked the Windies to be triumphant.

Four straight sixes later, however, the shrill blast of commentator Ian Bishop sang, “remember the name!” after the muscle-bound Brathwaite brutally battered Stokes, announcing a new West Indies star had been born.  Gleefully looking on, fans secretly hoped perhaps the player was from the same mould as legends like Sir Viv Richards or Chris Gayle.

Read more at Barbados today

Full Story

Jumpstart 2020-04-16 06:54:13 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

Sorry but i dont think anyone looking atbbrathwaite saw anything but an avg cricketer. No technique, slower in bowling than my mother....just big and strong and has some match awareness that he never put to use other than those four balls and the NZ cwc match last year.

nick2020 2020-04-16 12:24:59 

In reply to Jumpstart

an avg cricketer

Is he even that now?

But to be fair the reasonable expectation was he could be a useful all-rounder. Better than Jason Holder.

dayne 2020-04-16 13:42:32 

I think Carlos is a victim of poor foresight, he is obviously a more talented batsman than bowler, but he was never advised to bat higher up the order in the local competitions to display what he could do, all of his notable performances for the WI was done with the bat. In the last World Cup, if he had manage to score the 6 runs needed to defeat NZ with that century, he would have gone down in History as a good clutch player.

imusic 2020-04-16 16:59:25 

In reply to dayne

He has already gone down in history.... no matter what he does or doesn’t do

Oilah 2020-04-16 22:17:49 

As the song says "Oh no you can't take that away from me' smile

Jumpstart 2020-04-17 05:40:08 

In reply to nick2020

Never.....jason at least uses his brain.....and he's tall. Also he can bat with the tail. Jason was not born a great cricketer like ambrose, viv or lara. But that boy workd really really hard. I sww an interview with carlos talking about him hoping that he can get into the ipk either as a replacement or a commentator. No interest in bettering his skill set. There is the difference.nits why Jason's efforts have been paying dividence

hairline1 2020-04-17 10:28:07 

Carlos didn't fall the fussy WCIB lead by C.nt'rett who took a few million from TT had to make changes or return the money. He really Believe a team fully of Cowardly Brain dead tt,s can win a world cup. Without the name,Samuels and World boss it ain't happening. First site of a cruise ship Bouncer dem' cowardly forkers will button down the hatches and hide cool
cool

powen001 2020-04-17 23:32:37 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

clearly needed to write something in this lockdown period.

Carlos is the flavor of the month or something.

Gladly I was alive for all of it so far.

not worth what Paddy shot at. rolleyes

Jumpstart 2020-04-18 03:08:01 

In reply to hairline1

So it is for bajans at the sight of an off spinner: allan border and pragyan ojha calling you

Jumpstart 2020-04-18 03:11:22 

In reply to hairline1

Wonder who would have taken the wickets if rampaul had not dismissed dilshan first ball or narine not taken down both sanga snd jayawardene

Narper 2020-04-21 15:56:03 

Prematurely made cappo and that destroyed him.

Narper 2020-04-21 15:56:03