The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Born at the wrong time, Andy speaks

Dukes 2020-04-21 10:29:30 

My good friend Andy

Having gone to school with 3 Jackman brothers and having them all in my Nobbs House cricket team,I got to know them very well.Errol and Colin were older and I played under their leadership and later on I was captain to Trevor.They were all excellent cricketers but their youngest brother Andy was even better than them and later I will tell an anecdote about Andy. Enjoy the read.

jacksprat 2020-04-21 12:36:47 

Also, the club teams were very strong with a number of national players in one team

In those days, this was true across the region. Those were the days!

I recall at one time Kensington Cricket Club's lineup included the likes of Desmond Lewis, Richard Austin, Lawrence Rowe, Herbert Chang, Basil Williams- virtually the entire Jamaica top order, excluding Maurice Foster-and fast bowler Junior Williams plus Everette Wittingham, who had played U19 with Holding & Dujon.

A Senior Cup game between Kensington & Melbourne C.C. was a must-see because it pitted the big bats of Kensington against the likes of Holding, Cecil Lawson, Arthur Barrett and, later, Courtney Walsh.

StumpCam 2020-04-21 13:26:57 

In reply to Dukes

Never met Andy, but I do know Colin!
One Memorial Day weekend, about 20yrs ago, I went to a barbecue at his house and was attacked by his two sisters! lol lol

Dukes 2020-04-21 14:33:46 

In reply to StumpCam

I went to a barbecue at his house and was attacked by his two sisters

Like you tekking over Spuds role now!!!!!

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

All the brothers were top class cricketers.Colin was my contemporary at QC.

Ewart 2020-04-21 15:15:44 

In reply to jacksprat

I was a member at Kensington at that time.

There was also Lester King and a very fast left-arm pace, Wes Somebody who bowled down a visiting Swanson's English team while Pinny made a century.

big grin big grin

//