The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

The man who woulda been King

Larr Pullo 2020-04-23 15:36:59 

Were it not for Holding being nasty...

Reon Dane King was born on October 6, 1975, in Goed Fortune, West Coast Demerara in Guyana but grew up in the City in DaSilva Street, New Town Kitty.
The former GCC, Guyana and West Indies U-19s, Guyana, West Indies ‘A’ and West Indies cricketer was born in a Country which has produced 52 Test players, but most of them have been World Class batsmen and of course the greatest West Indies off spinner Lance Gibbs.

CITYBOY 2020-04-23 16:21:43 

In reply to Larr Pullo
Hola..I cannot open the article so I cannot comment...but let me give you FACTS about Reon King..

I went home to see a test match with a former test player at Bourda..
The former test player and Reon got to speaking..Reon was complaining about a foot injury that has kept him out of cricket/test team and no one in the WI admin /management nor Guyana board seem to want to do anything about...the guy was almost in tears...it was very sad ..
Long story short...the former test cricketer met a doctor who resided on the East Coast in the pavillon and had him chat with Reon...
The doctor said he would treat Reon injury..
This is nothing new .thats what WI admins do..they cast you aside...they did that to Hooper as well who cuss their arses at Bourda..
WI cricket was and is still run like ..MASSA DAYS..
Adios
CB

robbo 2020-04-23 16:44:35 

I rated King ... swung it at good pace.... disappointing that he didn’t have a longer and more successful test career.

carl0002 2020-04-23 19:33:23 

Reon King would get injured if the wind changed direction. And he could not field to save his life. Reon King could not catch COVID-19 even if he tried. big grin big grin big grin

StumpCam 2020-04-23 20:03:33 

In reply to carl0002

What about Jamaican Darren Powell who complained that the Saffies were working him too hard when he signed a contract with one of their clubs! lol lol

carl0002 2020-04-23 20:10:42 

In reply to StumpCam

Not sure what you want me to comment on..Help me out please.

Raggs 2020-04-23 21:16:04 

The man was like Bambi in the field and my overriding memory of him was he lack of applying pressure after Ambrose and Walsh set up things on that 2000 tour of England. Him and Franklyn Rose was a disgrace.
Holding was right to single him out.All that potential and flop so. Him and Hooper were built from the same fowl coop.

StumpCam 2020-04-23 21:24:12 

In reply to carl0002

I was making a comparison with at least one other fast bowler who was just as fragile physically as well as mentally! razz

silver 2020-04-23 22:03:51 

In reply to StumpCam

That statement is not accurate. Powell was picked up at the airport and taken straight to a cricket ground. They asked him to play immediately. He told them well he just got off the plane and was jetlag. They played him anyway. Then he got injured. A team member encouraged him to keep coming to the cricket ground even if he could not play so he was not found guilty of breaching his contract

Maispwi 2020-04-23 22:14:14 

In reply to Raggs

Maybe instead of doing de same thing over and over again, had King or Rose been entrusted to use the new ball with either Walsh or Ambrose, the outcome mighta been different. But we will never know cause inning after inning we used de same approach wid de same result

Dukes 2020-04-23 22:32:00 

In reply to Raggs

.All that potential and flop so. Him and Hooper were built from the same fowl coop.

That was kind of harsh.

I bet if people are equally harsh on Lawrence Rowe you would get quite upset.

TAKE THE BEAM OUT OF YOUR EYE!!!!!!!

camos 2020-04-24 00:23:13 

In reply to Larr Pullo

King is a pussy, why could he not do like Ramdin did with Viv!

TheTrail 2020-04-24 00:45:05 

Who was the better fast bowler of this lot:

King, Rose, or Dillon?

Larr Pullo 2020-04-24 02:16:58 

In reply to Raggs

Bowling with broken foot will do that to you...

Fivestar 2020-04-24 07:13:18 

In reply to TheTrail

Who was the better fast bowler of this lot:
King, Rose, or Dillon?

Here's the truth. Back then Cuffy, Dillon, Drakes, King, McLean and Rose were considered the 'future' of West Indies cricket.

Walsh and Ambrose were in the twilight of their years and they were being 'phased out'.

But the funny thing was the two 'old men' kept out bowling the young guns.

In other words, the young guns were all underachievers.

Now to answer your question; Rose, Dillon and then King.

Raggs 2020-04-24 13:17:10 

In reply to Maispwi

How could Adams take the new ball out of Walsh/Ambrose hands when they were consistently knocking over England'main man Michael Antherton?
If he gave it to King/Rose he would have been off to a flyer and Walsh and Ambrose would be bowling to a set batsman.

Raggs 2020-04-24 13:19:42 

In reply to Larr Pullo

King had a broken foot and played on? So what was Nixon McClean brought on that tour to do then? Watch the cricket in the stands beside me?
If unfit then declare yourself so and let another player fit enough play.

Larr Pullo 2020-04-24 13:33:46 

In reply to Raggs

Because the "managers" kept telling him nothing was wrong with HIS foot. Imagine you're a young player trying to establish yourself how would you feel if your management was telling you you're a faker? Shiv had the same problem until he said F y'all and went off and did his needed foot surgery on his own.

Dukes 2020-04-24 13:49:35 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Yuh wasting yuh time bro, Dis banna is willing to accept a man being allergic to grass and cyan see because 20/25 vision is not good enough for him since he is a 20/15 vision man and such tings but 2 man from somewhere else with stress fracture and floating bone is fake.

Maispwi 2020-04-24 14:05:23 

In reply to Raggs

Man you cyah read? Ah never said King and Rose shud open de bowling together. But seriously, you prefer to get your tail whipped time after time and not try something different?

Raggs 2020-04-24 14:12:40 

In reply to Maispwi

Check both Ambrose and Walsh records against Antherton. He was both their bunny.He only got away from them in the final test match.Who was their no 1 bat at the time? It was that guy. Psychologically it was right to have them both at him from the off.

Raggs 2020-04-24 14:16:06 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Unless King was pulling up trees i just didn't think he was miles in front of Nixon McLean at the time. If that's how it went down then Adams who believed in King big time and the management team are at fault. No doubt about it.

Maispwi 2020-04-24 14:40:38 

In reply to Raggs

By the way how do you blame bowlers for losing a test series 3 - 1 when the opposition had 1 score over 300 while the WI had 5 complete innings where dey scored less than 200, two of which were less than a hundred.

Raggs 2020-04-24 14:48:23 

In reply to Maispwi

Therefore it was bowlers series.Were we not One up going into the Lord's test match where we were ahead in the game until that stupid collapse in our second innings and still yet if King/Rose at least done something slightly decent in that 4th innings we would have won that game to go 2 up.

Dukes 2020-04-24 15:13:12 

In reply to Raggs

The crucial test match

openning 2020-04-24 15:37:08 

My memory of Reon, was missing lunch at the Mecca to work on his run up.
You go into a test match, to practice.

carl0002 2020-04-24 16:08:11 

In reply to openning
I think he has the record of being denied wickets as a result of no-balls. If he does not have the record, he is pretty close.
lol

Dukes 2020-04-24 16:33:18 

In reply to carl0002

I think he has the record of being denied wickets as a result of no-balls. If he does not have the record, he is pretty close.

Is that something you know for a fact or is it something you "feel"?

I do know that this exact same question was asked and it was stated that Morkel of South Africa is the leader with 13 "wickets" taken off no-balls.

I remember reading a book on the 1967-68 series WI vs England where it stated Griffith clean bowled Edrich with a no-ball which led him to do a masterful imitation of Freddie Truman in a similar situation.

carl0002 2020-04-24 17:12:00 

In reply to Dukes
Its a feeling cuz it happened fairly often with King.

Maispwi 2020-04-24 17:19:31 

In reply to Raggs

All the more reason for the captain to try different things with his bowlers cause de tried n tested was not working

Raggs 2020-04-24 18:16:56 

In reply to Maispwi

All the more reason for the captain to try different things with his bowlers cause de tried n tested was not working
Walsh was taking bucket loads of wickets and Ambrose wasn't taking so many but was as always hard to put away for boundaries so what more can you ask form them? King/Rose were the negative aspects of that attack and the skipper Nasser Hussian openingly said at his press conference that they just had to negotiate those two and capitalize on the other duo.
I can only remember Nixon McClean as an alternative for that tour.

Raggs 2020-04-24 18:36:05 

just checked the archives the back up fast bowlers to Walsh and Ambrose were Rose/King/McClean and Collymore well the later on that list must have been sick on that tour. Cuz we would have been a better option than King/Rose combined

silver 2020-04-24 21:43:17 

In reply to Raggs

That is not true. Alec Stewart was their number one bat at the time

Dukes 2020-04-24 22:15:03 

WI/E Test averages 2000 series

THOSE WHO HAVE EYES LET THEM SEE

Jumpstart 2020-04-25 04:25:50 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Larrs u serious? Reon only had pace, was as dumb as a rock. And also extremely unmannerly. I remember him in NZ 2000. Matthew Sinclair was premeditating all his shots and king bowled in the same area all the time, ball after ball

Raggs 2020-04-25 15:44:01 

In reply to silver

Alec Stewart was their number one bat at the time

nah man..antherton's fall of wicket was more celebrated more than any other in that team. similar to the fall of Brian Lara's one

Larr Pullo 2020-04-25 15:53:09 

In reply to Dukes

Wow, Franklyn was abysmal! 4 wickets at more than 60 and King was the one who got slandered.

Raggs 2020-04-25 15:57:20 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Both Rose and King gets lambasted by me. Look, to me Mr King had serious potential up there with Holding and Bishop in grace and natural ability so with that to judge him from, he gets a bigger strap on his back than Franklyn Rose

Larr Pullo 2020-04-25 16:07:04 

In reply to Raggs

Bullshit! Rose had the same potential up front, remember his series against India? However, once his lack of discipline became rose to the fore (PI) he career went into a tailspin. Remember the incidents on that same tour of Rose walking in front of the sightscreen when the WI was batting and cussing out hte batsman for asking him to move? If memory serves I think Sarwan was batting at the time. Remember Gayle and Hinds sitting in the pavilion openly laughing at Jimmy Adams who was struggling at the time? Yet Holding of course, couldn't see past the flag and slandered a player who was battling a foot injury that the "management" refused to acknowledge or have looked at properly.

Raggs 2020-04-25 16:54:15 

In reply to Larr Pullo

the board believed in king more than rose. even the captain Adams said so when he mentioned King when they defended that 99 runs against Zimbabwe . if he had a injured foot and still play over Nixon McClean that tells you all.

silver 2020-04-25 18:14:52 

In reply to Raggs

http://m.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/8579.html

http://m.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/20372.html

Raggs 2020-04-25 18:54:28 

In reply to silver

Mike Atherton had more influence on the England batting side than Alec Stewart. That's just facts beyond stats.