The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

BCA might pay match fees

openning 2020-04-25 17:30:08 

President of the Barbados Cricket Association (BCA) Conde Riley says he will try to persuade his Board to pay the match fees of the Barbados Pride franchise cricketers as a gesture of goodwill toward the players.

Riley told Barbados TODAY that while he had no problem with the BCA paying the match fees of the Barbados Pride players, it was up to the Board to make the decision.

“These are tough financial times but the BCA is always willing to look after its players. I don’t like to see our cricketers being placed at a disadvantage. If CWI are unable at this time to pay the match fees of our cricketers, I will take the matter to my Board and we make a decision on the situation. These are tough financial times and I don’t want to see any of our cricketers being placed in a position that creates a disadvantage for them. I will speak to my Board and we will reach a consensus on whether we should pay the match fees of our players. I believe that we should pay our cricketers if CWI cannot do so at this time, but it is not a decision that I can make alone, it is a matter for the members of my Board do decide on,” Riley explained.

Link Text

The president said only one cricketer in the Barbados Pride team (Kevin Stoute ) played as a play-for-pay contract player during the season and he had already received his salary. Riley acknowledged that the players had received their salaries and it was the match fees that were outstanding. He pointed out that in the current rough economic times the cricketers needed their money.

Dukes 2020-04-26 15:56:33 

In reply to openning

The cynic in me says Riley is posturing.

openning 2020-04-26 16:09:29 

In reply to Dukes

The BCA get money from the lottery, an additional number of men and women cricketers, are on the BCA development contract.
The Mason and Guest show is sponsor by the Lottery, along with every weekend BCA cricket commentary.
This has been going on for many years.
Are you aware that the two English Bajans, playing in the IPL, a percentage of money goes to the BCA and clubs they played for in Bim?

FuzzyWuzzy 2020-04-26 16:19:06 

In reply to Dukes

Conde has always been pro player.

openning 2020-04-26 16:28:57 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

I heard him speaking at a BCA award dinner, on the money Archer and Chris Jordan makes in the IPL, a percentage will be given to their two clubs in Barbados.