The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Russell to quit Tallawahs at the end of CPL season

CaribbeanCricket.com 2020-04-29 14:49:36 

The 2020 season of the CPL will be the last for Andre Russell with the Jamaica Tallawahs.

On the eve of his 32nd birthday, Russell, perhaps the most dangerous player in T20 cricket globally, in a rambling speech on Instagram Live on Tuesday night, accused the team’s ownership of poor communication and continued disrespect that helped create the impression that he was part of a conspiracy to get rid of Chris Gayle.

“I have another year’s contract with the Tallawahs and I am going to play and try and win because that is all I play for, but this will be my last because I have been getting mixed up with all these (expletive) that is happening,” he said, “and I can’t be playing cricket and I am not comfortable.

“And I think another franchise that has been coming last and fifth and fourth in CPL will appreciate me more. I am not getting it here.”

Russell revealed that he only heard about Chris Gayle’s departure from the team when the Universe Boss sent him a copy of a report in the Jamaica Gleaner that suggested that Gayle was not going to be retained by the two-time CPL champions and that there were going to changes to the coaching staff.

Read more at SportsMax 

Full Story

camos 2020-04-29 14:54:54 

come in Jermey, I am sure you know is Gayle cause this!

Dukes 2020-04-29 14:56:04 

In reply to camos

THIS IS THE END OF THE TALLAWAHS!!!!!!!!

anthonyp 2020-04-29 14:58:14 

However, Russell believes that the fact that Rovman Powell and Reifer are friends and the perception that he knew what was going on behind the scenes, it creates the impression that he was part of a conspiracy to get rid of Gayle.

“Up till now I know nothing that was going on but now it looks like me, Rovman and Floyd Reifer plan up and a get of Chris. Why would I get rid of Chris? Chris has a three-year contract, you’re not supposed to breach your contract,” he said. “I had to address the situation because things don’t look good right now.”

Sad

dayne 2020-04-29 15:57:49 

Loose lips sink ships. The Jamaican ship is sinking.

mets692006 2020-04-29 19:33:23 

this came as a surprise to me for i too knew nothing of this. Why did Gayle not have the same energy directed to Kohli when RCB got rid of him but kept AB. it was a business decision and now he made it personal. Very sad. His youtube rant was not only juvenile but also can place Sarwan in harms way. Chris is as big to WI cricket as Kohli is to India. A lot of people will now hate Sarwan and he could potentially be placed in harms way as a result of Gayle's attack. Sarwan does not own the tallawahs so why is he on the receiving the brunt of the blame. Gayle spoke of loyalty etc. Why bring up things that happened in the past? He are 40 years old and his skills are depreciating. This is just life it is the way it is. He may beat up on the local talent but outside of that he is not the same. No one remains that way. It is time for for the changing of the guards. The Russells, Powells, Kings, Poorans etc. to shine. Gayle needs to make the transition because he is at the twilight of his career. I believe that he stated that his contract is supposed to increase each season. How selfish is that. Take a pay cut and allow for the addition of talent that would lift the team in the ranks. I hope that there is more to come from this and he realizes that he was wrong. He appears to be very bitter. I would be disappointed as well but i would approach those whom i have the gripe with in person and deal with it as men. Not go on a childish global rant.

camos 2020-04-29 20:51:32 

In reply to mets692006

dude pay attention, the issue is not the decision,it's how he learned about it!

FuzzyWuzzy 2020-04-29 21:03:26 

In reply to camos

So does that justify the rant especially on tape 2 and

camos 2020-04-29 21:20:16 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

all I am addressing is how they went about letting him go, have not watched the other tapes because they seem to be about personalities and I am not getting into that.