The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Malcolm Marshall my favourite Allrounder

Slipfeeler 2020-05-05 16:00:45 

Back the days of real Allrounders who were genuine batsmen and bowlers, not like the current part-time players, there was a great world class allrounder by the name of Malcom Marshall, take a look at the following YouTube Clip:

https://youtu.be/JJpIG1T1_RY

FuzzyWuzzy 2020-05-05 16:04:20 

In reply to Slipfeeler

Was Marshall a genuine batsman?

Halliwell 2020-05-05 16:16:14 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

I was looking back at the ‘84 tour of Australia, courtesy robelinda of course, and commented what a good bat Marshall was. Of course his brain was cricketer first then function second. To know how to bat must have been an asset to a thinking bowler. To know how a thinking bowler thinks, will make an average batsman a good one.

Jumpstart 2020-05-05 17:44:38 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

At first class level he had 7 hundreds. He wasn't really needed as a batsman in the WI side as gomes and dujon always stood up if the WI were in trouble

Slipfeeler 2020-05-05 17:51:38 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

I would respond in the affirmative of course there were also a Keith Boyce and Bernard Julien, although Sir Garfield Sobers is our most notable allrounder. The most versatile allrounder ever to play for West Indies was Richard Danny Germs Austin, he open the batting and was also a middle order batsman for WI. He bowled both spin and medium pace and a very handy Wicketkeeper. Outside of cricket his versatility was demonstrated in that he could have represented Jamaica in both football and table tennis, very talented athlete.

FuzzyWuzzy 2020-05-05 19:17:38 

In reply to Slipfeeler

Boyce played football for Barbados as well. He was a goalkeeper

Slipfeeler 2020-05-05 20:02:15 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Correct, Keith Boyce was one of those athletes who was such an all-round sportsman.

Slipfeeler 2020-05-05 20:09:42 

Back in the days there was an athlete from my high school who played cricket, football and ran track for Jamaica, and he was no fringe player either, he got the attention of a few West Indies players with both his batting and bowling. He is now an Attorney in Florida.

Benjie 2020-05-05 20:39:28 

If all rounder is just batsman and bowler then Sir Garry is the best IMO.
But he is before my time. I have never seen him play.
In the modern era I would have to go for Jacques Kallis.

If allrounder means batting, bowling and keeping I dont know many who have done that at the international level except Jimmy Adams.