The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Sarwan gives Skerritt Administration passing grade Wants stronger Regional First-Class tourney

CaribbeanCricket.com 2020-05-08 15:28:56 

Former West Indies batsman Guyanese Ramnaresh gave new CWI President Ricky Skerritt’s Administration a passing grade and would like to see better facilities in the Caribbean to produce more players who can produce at the International level.

The 39-year-old, who was born in the Essequibo Island of Wakanaam, was viewed as a young prodigy since he moved to Campbellville in Georgetown as a toddler and reeled off back-to-back centuries for his Primary School Stella Maris. He played the first of his 220 First-Class matches as a 15-year-old to become the youngest First-Class player in the West Indies before making a magnificent 84 against Pakistan in Barbados at 19, while at age 28 years, 228 days he became the youngest West Indian to reach 5000 runs when he scored a century against England in Jamaica in 2009.

The elegant Sarwan played his last Test against India in 2011 at a venue where he announced his arrival on the Test arena, his final ODI was in 2013 when West Indies opposed India and the next year he said goodbye to first-Class Cricket when Leicestershire played Worcestershire in the English County Championships.

Read more at Kaieteur news online

Full Story

buds 2020-05-08 16:41:19 

C-
Is a passing grade.

rolleyes

Drapsey 2020-05-08 17:55:55 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

Suck up, Sarwan, suck up. I like!

camos 2020-05-08 18:48:56 

In reply to buds
yes ! even "D"

Norm 2020-05-09 00:25:58 

Sars giving Skerritt and them a lot of credit. This lot hasn't done anything good since booting Cameron, who put in place the current professional regional first class and List A competitions.

Cameron was a dictator, but he was also a builder. Skerritt and company have let things return to the old soup-drinking insular ways.

buds 2020-05-09 11:40:03 

In reply to Norm

You are right-Skerritt has done nothing to improve WI cricket except to reward his cronies.

buds 2020-05-09 11:40:28 

In reply to camos

I was being generous.lol

Dukes 2020-05-10 00:41:10 

I am on record as stating my profound opposition to the ODI and T 20 tour of Sri Lanka earlier this year.I said in no uncertain terms that all the WI players should play a full season of first class cricket so that they would be properly prepared for the tour of England and the test matches there.However CWI decided that they would take on the tour as they needed the money.My contention is that if we perform well in test cricket we will be offered tours of England and Australia and hence we would make money in the long term.
How can we expect Hetmyer and Pooran to make runs in test cricket when they play little first class cricket.In the case of Pooran he has not played a first class match since 2014. Everything in life has consequences and it is naive to think that we could have our best players not play first class cricket and then expect them to do well in test cricket.Also their absence lowers the standard of our first class cricket and those that do well in it are not as good as their figures suggest.
The absence of proper analysis is STUNNING!!!!!!
In the words of that great 21st century Philosopher, Spuds.

Oh well........ What a DILEMNA

WICFan 2020-05-10 11:14:01 

In reply to Dukes

You're right with Hetmyer, Pooran doesn't appear to show any interest in playing FC Cricket.